Currently on the shelves at Hill Farmstead (January/February 2018)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, Jan 1, 2018.

1. WarbyJones

WarbyJones Initiate (178) Jan 11, 2014 Maine
    Beer Trader

As someone who was in the taproom yesterday, I felt so bad for the staff every time they had to carve open a bottle of Art. Could you give the taproom staff a break and skip the wax on the on-site only releases?

2. bla211

bla211 Initiate (173) Mar 17, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Do it for the gram...

cdilisio likes this.
  3. ajthegreat

ajthegreat Initiate (183) Nov 11, 2010 Vermont
    Beer Trader

We are supposed to get a very nasty bout of freezing rain on Friday night, followed by the chance for significant snowfall and wind on Saturday am. Check the weather forecast. That could be a pretty miserable drive .

4. mjco04

mjco04 Aspirant (210) May 30, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Per social media posts, Art should be available for the entire month of January.

Sabtos likes this.
  5. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (3,696) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

:scream::scream::scream:

Was not expecting that! I was perfectly happy missing out on something that was going to sell out this week, 12 hours away. But this changes everything...

Macsimus likes this.
  6. mjco04

mjco04 Aspirant (210) May 30, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I am hoping that BGAE lasts til next Friday (1/19) given the 2pp limit. Last year, M&C10 lasted for a good two weeks and with F&T released a week after.

7. OGShotzy

OGShotzy Devotee (437) Oct 5, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

Are Mosaic IPA and S&S 8 the only available cans this week?

8. infectedlobster

infectedlobster Initiate (145) Apr 22, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

They were the only cans available yesterday.

Re: Art. As the supply of Art bottles visible in the taproom fridge dwindled, tension ran high in the taproom line. That is, until an employee heroically restocked the fridge with something like 100 additional bottles.

There seems to be a ton of Art available this month, so I wouldn't sweat lining up outside the taproom at open or otherwise inconveniencing yourself to secure a glass. The daily taproom "ration" of Art bottles is not small.

9. Sabtos

Beer Trader

Probably a stupid question with an obvious answer (like: because delicious and limited!) but why are bottles like Art (and Ann) so rare and coveted? Aren't beers like Arthur and Anna produced fairly frequently and in high volume? It seems like they have a lot of barrel aged beers that stick around for a while, yet are also from lower yields bases. I have no way of confirming that assumption, but just curious as to thoughts. Or if there's been any official info on the process or production of these higher value bottles, that'd be great too!

10. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (184) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

From Shaun's Instagram post:

In honor of a new year, we offer to you one of our favorite and most elusive beers: Art. This particular release began its life nearly 5 years ago as a brew day and primary fermentation of Arthur in 2013. After being placed in wine barrels, the evolution of Arthur into Art is an indeterminate and metamorphic occurrence. Only a single digit percentage of all wine barrel aged Arthur becomes what is unmistakably identifiable as Art - the remainder is often blended into Civil Disobedience. The beer, the barrel, and some yet unknown, unquantifiable condition seems to dictate its path and appearance. It is identified and selected only through the emotional response which it induces during barrel tasting. This particular beer began its bottle conditioning on March 18, 2015.

This will only be offered for on-site consumption. Due to the very small volume, we chose 375ml bottles for this release in order to further spread its availability. To the brave, warm hearted patrons that should choose to visit us in the month of January, we offer you this as what we hope will be an auspicious beginning to 2018.
    Thank You and Happiest of New Years!
    Shaun

ewendel and Sabtos like this.
  11. purephase

purephase Initiate (169) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Similarly with Ann:

jhavs and Sabtos like this.
  12. Sabtos

Beer Trader

I lose at social media again!

Thanks guys.

13. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,502) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Mosaic cans are out.

infectedlobster likes this.
  14. LCC

LCC Initiate (160) Mar 2, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

looks like BGE is down to 1pp today.

15. Rennim

Rennim Initiate (11) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts

Sounds like BGE may not last the day.

16. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (275) Jan 12, 2014 Utah
    Beer Trader

Ann and Art are Anna and Arthur that spend time in barrels correct? So Anna and Arthur (and all the relatively accessible Farmstead beers) are 100% stainless ferments? Correct? Or do they spend time in a Foeder? Anyone know?

17. trafficassassin

trafficassassin Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2016 Vermont

What makes you say that?

18. Rennim

Phil

19. mhull

mhull Initiate (132) Apr 11, 2008 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

From a buddy on-site: Art just sold out

20. eb1610

eb1610 Disciple (333) Jan 3, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Probably just their daily allotment sold out

21. tmbgnicu

tmbgnicu Zealot (526) Mar 15, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Heard same thing at 12:04. Half an hour to sell out of day's allotment when people were getting post 4pm Weds and Thurs?

22. ajthegreat

ajthegreat Initiate (183) Nov 11, 2010 Vermont
    Beer Trader

All of their saisons spend time in oak, including Ann and Arthur.

23. Takeanotherswing

Takeanotherswing Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

Their farmhouse ales are now almost always in Oak for some time unless noted stainless steel version. (I remember they had a Florence stainless steel a year or so ago bottled).
    The Arthur not used for Arthur bottles/draft is used for blends like in Civil Disobedience and others except Art is in its own specially chosen barrel. Same goes for Ann I believe but not sure if they brew Anna as often or blend with it as much. I believe this is about right(but I don't work there).

24. GatheringBrews

GatheringBrews Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2011 Vermont

I can assure you, it'll last into tomorrow.

25. Rennim

Co
    Congrats. Just telling you what I was told at open.

26. AutumnBeerLove

AutumnBeerLove Aspirant (239) Oct 16, 2010 Vermont
    Beer Trader

It will be available tomorrow.

TheNinthLetter, beer4miles and jhavs like this.
  27. TheNinthLetter

TheNinthLetter Initiate (132) Apr 16, 2017 New York
    Beer Trader

Well that’s good then for my cousin who was heading up in the morning to grab us both bottles; bad for me though that its 1pp now. Maybe he’ll share his lol.

28. Davl22

Davl22 Disciple (374) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm not sure if it's the cans, or the newly sourced hops, but the cans of Mosaic and S+S 8 I had this week were some of the best hoppy beers I've had from HF(or anywhere) so far. The level of complexity and depth is ridiculous. Keep up the good work!

29. nicktown

nicktown Initiate (115) Nov 12, 2017 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

no chance bg&e lasts until Saturday I'm assuming

30. sourdog

sourdog Zealot (523) Feb 24, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

There were maybe 15 boxes of BG&E on the pallet when we left at 3pm on Saturday if that helps give you an idea of inventory.

31. Headynuggz

Headynuggz Initiate (5) Sep 30, 2016 Maryland

Hey sorry if I sound like a noob and this has been answered a million times, but what are the current lines like? I will be coming this Friday afternoon and wanted to know what time I should arrive so that I have enough time to go through the bottle and draft lines before they close. Any help would be appreciated.

32. jhavs

Hi,
    You shouldn't have a problem. I was there last Thursday and waited in line for less than 5 minutes in retail and taproom. Fridays/weekend can be longer, but if there is not a popular release you should be fine.

33. Phineasco

Phineasco Zealot (546) Sep 4, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Anybody making the drive up tm? My boss told me I don't need to come in tm because of the storm. I wonder how tough a drive that would be, I don't think NH and VT are getting as much snow.

34. jhavs

Today
    ***WINTER STORM WARNING LATE TODAY INTO TOMORROW FOR FAR SOUTHERN VERMONT, SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE, AND THE BERKSHIRES; WINTER WEATHER ADVISORIES NORTHWARD TO THE ADIRONDACKS, ROUTE 4, AND THE WHITE MOUNTAINS***

Mostly cloudy this afternoon. Chance of snow showers north, snow showers or periods of light snow likely southwest and in the central Green Mountains, a rising chance southeast. Highs in the mid to upper 20s south, low to mid 20s north, except teens near the Québec border. South winds around 5 mph, except northeast 5 to 10 mph in the St. Lawrence Valley.

Tonight
    Scattered snow showers west and north from the Champlain Valley. Snow likely east and south, steadiest in far southern areas of Vermont and New Hampshire, and in the Berkshires. Accumulation a trace to 3 inches north, and 2 to 6 inches south. Lows in the 20s south and in the Champlain Valley, teens elsewhere north. Winds light and variable.

Wednesday
    Morning snow, tapering to snow showers from west to east in the afternoon. Storms totals 5 to 10 inches far south, 3 to 6 inches elsewhere south of the Adirondacks and Route 2, 2 to 5 inches northeast and in the northern Greens, and 1 to 3 inches from the Champlain Valley north and west. Highs mainly from the mid 20s to around 30. Winds becoming west at 5 to 10 mph.

Wednesday Night
    Becoming partly cloudy. Lows in the upper single digits to mid teens. West to northwest winds around 10 mph in the evening, diminishing to light and variable.

Significant/Hazardous Weather
    ***WINTER STORM WARNING LATE TODAY INTO TOMORROW FOR FAR SOUTHERN VERMONT, SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE, AND THE BERKSHIRES; WINTER WEATHER ADVISORIES NORTHWARD TO THE ADIRONDACKS, ROUTE 4, AND THE WHITE MOUNTAINS***

RuckIt and DanPing like this.
  35. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (237) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont
    Beer Trader

I use newengland511.org to see real time updates on driving conditions all over VT, NH, and ME. Can also look at highway cameras and pavement temps real time. Very helpful in my winter beer travels.

7irondave and TheBirdSanc like this.
  • About Us

Founded in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.