Currently on the shelves at Hill Farmstead (March/April 2018)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, Mar 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icfpny

icfpny Initiate (135) Apr 3, 2015 New York

Looks like I'm coming up Saturday afternoon, so here's to that storm being a real motherf*cker.

:grin:

2. tmbgnicu

tmbgnicu Devotee (490) Mar 15, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Well, I'll ask-

Chances that Genealogy makes it until next Friday? I always seem to miss it and I'm heading up then.

3. Cmike1992

Cmike1992 Initiate (61) Apr 26, 2017 New Hampshire
    Trader

The obvious question is how are the roads?

Gushue3 likes this.
  4. JuanFushashi

JuanFushashi Initiate (144) Feb 5, 2011 Maine
    Trader

So the paved roads are surprisingly solid right now. Plows got ahead of this and I think southern VT might have gotten the worst of it. Dirt roads seem to be in decent shape, but I took it easy on them just in case.

5. JuanFushashi

Trader

And to respond to this, it looks like there is a lot still left, so you might've lucked out with the storm.

6. Cmike1992

Trader

You're bringing me so much good news. Don't ever change

7. Cmike1992

Trader

Went up yesterday and was reminded why I love that place. Flora Cuvee was life changing and just the entire experience is awesome

8. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,727) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

Yes, was a great day yesterday. So many great on-site offerings. (and to go!).

chipawayboy and Cmike1992 like this.
  9. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (422) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Went today and got a little of everything. Just an incredible array of beers right now — and unlimited cans which I still have a hard time wrapping my head around. Had an Earl in the taproom which was on the cask handpull — so much cofffee flavor and aroma — the celler temp and low carb really a great combo w/ that beer. Cold and snowy when I was up there — could have hung in the taproom all day. Agree the experience continues to be one of the best there is. Thank god it’s not near metro Boston....
    [​IMG]

10. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (6,563) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: beautiful

chipawayboy likes this.
  11. icfpny

Was there a limit on S&S cans today? I'll be there after skiing tomorrow afternoon, will probably have an anxiety attack thinking about them and Flora bottles running out.

12. jtodeasa

jtodeasa Initiate (119) Nov 11, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

Was fortunate enough to grab the last case of Mary and the last two allotments of the Leaves of Grass on Friday afternoon. Place was beautiful with the flurries coming down. 2013 "Magic" Flora and 2015 Flora Plum were amazing.

Going skiing today, worried about leaving the bottles in the car in sub-zero temps. Any tips?

13. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (331) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Insulate the bottles as much as you can and park in the sun.

14. chipawayboy

Trader

No limits when I was there Fri at opening.

15. papposilenus

papposilenus Meyvn (1,174) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire

Assuming temps in the twenties and a warm car to start with, buried under a blanket up on the seat, should be fine for at least six to eight hours. Probably.

16. jtodeasa

Trader

Thanks guys. I'm gonna wrap them and leave them in a warm cooler. Probably check on them at lunch. Also have a black car so that should help.

17. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (331) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

If there's actual sun hitting your car most of the day, I would be 0% worried. If you want extra peace of mind, throw a few bottles of warm water in there.

18. jtodeasa

Trader

Thanks guys. Bottles madr it fine. I have never skiied in such powder.

wasatchback and icfpny like this.
  19. JuanFushashi

Trader

This might be weird to say, seeing as how it's the middle of March, but Flora: Pear is tasting like the perfect late summer/early fall beer, it's so crisp and delicious. I'm in love with this beer and now wish I maxed out. Between this and how great Genealogy/S&S4 were tasting, this has to have been one of my favorite hauls, especially with the variety of styles as well.

lovindahops and chipawayboy like this.
  20. Cmike1992

Trader

I'm a super nice guy and gave half of my geneaology and 2 bottles of flora pear to friends and now I wish I didn't

21. tmbgnicu

Trader

So...... there can't be a chance Flora pear makes it until Friday afternoon, right?

@AutumnBeerLove ?

22. hopley

hopley Meyvn (1,320) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I had this far off notion that it would last all the way through next week given the bottle limit...thinking maybe they'd drop it to 2 per person at some point??

tmbgnicu, Gsulliv2 and jhavs like this.
  23. tmbgnicu

Trader

I had heard from someone who was there on Saturday that it was low, but no idea if another pallet or so was available. It would be great if they dropped limit to spread it out, but they didn't with BBRC.

EvilAsh and hopley like this.
  24. AutumnBeerLove

AutumnBeerLove Aspirant (257) Oct 16, 2010 Vermont

Could make it to Friday. No promises!

EvilAsh and 4ruedebuci like this.
  25. Mattybuchs

Mattybuchs Aspirant (225) Mar 15, 2015 Vermont
    Trader

26. AutumnBeerLove

AutumnBeerLove Aspirant (257) Oct 16, 2010 Vermont

Maybe! But I'm on vacation :grimacing:

802-533-7450

27. chipawayboy

Trader

Had a rare treat last night at a share event w/friends -- F&T from an Oct 2010 release (I'm assuming the handwritten 10/10 is a date code). I was not in a very clear state of mind when I tried my 2 oz pour but I can say it held up very well. Lots of smoke and whatever oxidation had occurred was a pleasing addition to the flavor profile --others remarked that they got a huge bacon flavor -- in a good way. Cheers to Shaun and Anders... from what I can tell this was a very early collab. Wish I could get another bottle...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,047) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Through fortuitous circumstances I recently became the proud owner of two bottles (750 ml) of Hill Farmstead beer:
    • Anna (bottled 11/8/17)
    • Arthur (I can't read the date)
    I have had these beers before but that was in the distant past (5+ years ago) and on draft.

I am hoping that some of you Hill Farmstead experts can provide some cellaring advice here. How long should I cellar these bottles?

Cheers!

@chipawayboy

29. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (6,563) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Forrrrrrrrevvvvvvvvvvvverrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Nah, either way they'll be fine, HF beers age beautiful, but are great fresh too. Drink whenever you're ready.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  30. JonnyJuicebox

JonnyJuicebox Initiate (148) Jun 3, 2015 Massachusetts

Arthur and presumably Anna(never lasted long enough in my cellar) are pretty stable for shelving. I prefer consuming within a year year 1/2; at that point I think the bright lemony tartness starts to fade away and you get more wheaty/old hops taste. An almost dustiness...if you've ever had an ancient lambic it's along those lines. It's still fucking delicious. I had a 2012(my first HF visit) that I finally cracked this past summer and, although I'm glad I was able to try such an old bottle, I much preferred the 2017.

Arthur, Anna, Soigne, Florence, without a doubt my absolute favorite beers ever made. If HF was close to Boston I'd drink these instead of IPA.

31. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,004) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

I'd drink Anna fresh because of the Honey. I disagree with Mr. Juicebox as I get more aggressive tartness and lemon character on older bottles. They do maintain fairly well though. My suggestion would be to not age them for the sake of aging them. Drink them when you feel like it.

I consistently enjoy drinking these more than any other beers.

32. remsad

remsad Initiate (149) Jan 29, 2018 Quebec (Canada)
    Society Trader

Anyone knows the price of both LOG release from March 14th ?

33. Mr_Abner

Mr_Abner Initiate (99) Aug 22, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

I would just drink them over the next year. They're delicious, so why wait?

I recently had a 2014 Arthur and early 2015 Arthur I had been holding onto. The 2014 had dropped off, imo. Preferred 2015. Prefer more recent bottles to both, though.

Had a 1.5 year old Anna last fall that was fantastic. I wouldn't intentionally hold onto them for longer than that.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  34. jtodeasa

Trader

Both of the recent LOG releases were $16 per 375ml

remsad likes this.
  35. CraigMack61

CraigMack61 Aspirant (286) Oct 4, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

When I was there today there was still plenty of Genealogy for whoever is still looking for it. Plus, just drank one and the beer is titties.

SourTweek likes this.
  36. DanPing

DanPing Aspirant (247) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

[​IMG]

Friday, March 30, will mark the 8th anniversary of our first brew day here at Hill Farmstead. On that day in 2010, Shaun brewed the first batch of a pale ale that would become Edward. Over the last 8 years, Edward has been the cornerstone for all we've built here in Greensboro Bend—a place we lovingly refer to as The Middle of Everything. Eight years on, and a lot has changed, but Edward remains—it abides, if you will.

To celebrate the occasion—as well as the (eventual) coming of spring—we will release E., a tangible connection between that first brewday and so many other of our pursuits here on Hill Road.

In Shaun's words: E. is for Edward (1917-2002), my grandfather, as well as the name of the first beer that I brewed in my brewery on March 30, 2010. E. is for Easter; brewing in Denmark revealed a European tradition of crafting Easter (Påske) beer. Finally, E is for entelechy, the continued actualization of our potential through spirited effort and vision.

Thus, in honor of E., to the past and future emprises here on Hill Road, we offer this special beer: Edward fermented with our Farmstead® yeast, aged in oak barrels, dry-hopped with Galaxy hops and bottle conditioned.

750ml. $33. Limit 2 per person

We will also release brand new cans of Society & Solitude #2, our Imperial Black IPA with Columbus and Simcoe Hops. 6-pack, 12oz. cans. $18 — RateBeer.com's highest rated Black IPA the last five years running!

chipawayboy, Trull and jhavs like this.
  37. lovindahops

lovindahops Savant (995) Mar 26, 2010 New York

Out of all my reviews on the site, S&S4 continues to be one of my only 5/5. Just an incredible brew.

38. chipawayboy

Trader

Last growler from week ago Fri. Jonesing to get back to Greensboro Bend this week...another ridiculous line up. Gonna be a tough sell in the household....
    [​IMG]

39. icfpny

The recent batch of Legitimacy was fucking awesome.

40. ajthegreat

ajthegreat Initiate (145) Nov 11, 2010 Vermont

Busy up there today? Thinking of heading up after work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.