Currently on the shelves at Hill Farmstead (November 2016)

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by NiceBeerCans, Nov 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the_bk

the_bk Mar 2, 2014 Vermont

The maple syrup lasted over a month last year, if I recall correctly.

woodfinish likes this.
  2. woodfinish

woodfinish Aug 24, 2005 Massachusetts

For anyone who's on the fence: The previous batches of BA Maple Syrup have been excellent stuff, and the price is not unreasonable for the quality/quantity. Other BA VT syrups go for $$ and 750ml is a lot of syrup. I still haven't cracked my second bottle from last year's pre-FoFA purchase.

rondufresne likes this.
  3. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Yeah it's excellent and with non-barrel aged syrup running you around $30 for that quantity in most of VT it's an incredibly small markup for a process that really elevates it. A highlight among a place that sells a lot of highlights. (And no secret why BG&E is among the best beers they've ever made.)

4. Justin42

Justin42 Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Which of the two syrups do folks who've tried them prefer?

5. woodfinish

woodfinish Aug 24, 2005 Massachusetts

Yeah, BG&E is at the top of my (short) list of potential future releases I'd make an unscheduled trip for. Thrilled to have it again on-site a few weeks ago.

I'm pretty sure only the first batch was sold in two varieties (and with 1 per household, it was hard to try both). I'd say the later batches are slightly more intense and less delicate than the lighter option from the first batch, but wouldn't want to try to prove it blind.

6. Gsulliv2

Gsulliv2 Dec 9, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

one other question regarding this week. I tried looking first on the website but didn't see it mentioned, are we definitely past onsite food truck "season?" thanks

7. cappy201

cappy201 Mar 25, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

There was a food truck there this past Friday

Gsulliv2 likes this.
  8. AutumnBeerLove

AutumnBeerLove Oct 16, 2010 Vermont

http://hillfarmstead.com/onsite/
    Tacos and soup this week with Caja Madera...

F2brewers and Gsulliv2 like this.
  9. frekky

frekky Oct 31, 2015 Massachusetts

Try the kale/chorizo soup if its available. Was damn tasty last week!

AutumnBeerLove likes this.
  10. Gsulliv2

Society Trader

11. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Mar 16, 2013 New York

Also, the following is on the first post of this monthly thread:

To see what's available to drink (and eat) in their new tap room, click on the following link:

http://hillfarmstead.com/onsite/

F2brewers likes this.
  12. Gvd0006

Gvd0006 Oct 21, 2015 Massachusetts

Does anyone know if Bot and M&C7 will make it into Thursday?

13. AutumnBeerLove

I've been waiting a while to say anything about this and let it settle... I also wanted to clear things up with OP and email him prior to posting...

First off, Hill Farmstead does not care about your significant other/brother/sister/mom/dad/grandmother/grandfather, etc buying limited bottles for you. I literally can not stress that enough. The policies that are in place are to try and sway people from hanging out in the parking lot and harassing you, our true customers to buy them more bottles with cash so they can flip them to someone hundreds or thousands of miles away so they can hoard them or sell them for profit.

Second, "after reading the above comments from long standing BAs there are too many other great breweries to go to." Last I checked, more people complimented then said they had a bad experience. Even the OP stated he's been 12-15 times and has had one negative experience... but let's ignore the 12-14 good ones for the potential of the one negative. Do you avoid a place with a 4.8 star review? 5 stars only? It is entirely possible for a single employee to have an off day once and a while I think. Maybe you disagree.

Although I was not involved in the incident that spurred all of the above comments, I feel personally attacked by it all. All of these previous comments on customer service and so on truly hit me at home. I spent a good 6-8 years managing customer service teams before changing paths. It was and still is a true passion to me and I try to present that in my work every day. I literally post on here every time I am tagged with a question or sent a message. Please tell me how all other breweries provide that same level of customer service. Needless to say, it's funny to see all the talk about the passion of customer service, as if it's like I am not here providing it each day.

She won't be treated like that, we don't care about what your fiance buys. I'd also like to hear more about your broad statement of how most breweries don't care about customer service. I visited dozens of breweries before working in the industry, and if I agreed with you then I doubt I would have made such a drastic job change to be in a field with surrounded by miserable people.

Did she receive similar treatment?

All in all, we do not discriminate against customers who only buy the limited beer. If that were the case, then I'm sure this would have been all been out there much more frequently as a complaint when visiting the brewery. I have apologized to RuckIt and hopefully cleared up the situation with him via email.

Cheers,
    Kevin

SadMachine, donamh, pehodges and 29 others like this.
  14. AutumnBeerLove

Chances are pretty good on both. Birth might not make it through tomorrow...

Definitely will last through Thursday. As previous poster said, it was on sale for over a month last time we had it available.

See above.

15. Kylo76

Kylo76 Aug 29, 2014 Colorado
    Trader

It's good that you are addressing this directly and I believe you are passionate about customer service. But the fact is that one bad experience is all it can take sometimes to give people the wrong impression. I have dealt with Dave(Ruckit) many, many times and he is one of the kindest and most generous people in the beer world and I would 100% believe anything he has to say on this matter. So trying to play this off and act defensive and angry about a legitimate complaint doesn't help your cause like you think it does. The argument "If _____ happened, wouldnt you see more frequent complaints" is hollow. All it takes is one time. I appreciate you replying but anger and deflection is not the way to go, especially in customer service. This does not come off as any sort of apology or acknowledgement of even one instance of wrongdoing. Very disappointing response.

16. AutumnBeerLove

Whoa whoa whoa. I am not getting angry/deflecting. Like I stated, I personally responded to Dave separately from this and we have been in communication over the past week. I'm aware a bad experience can turn someone off. And I am not going to speak for Dave, but I can safely say it has been cleared up. I apologized to Dave the night of the post and in emails since then. The only reason I brought up the blah blah blah argument you reference is strictly to back up that we don't care about your family or friends buying bottles for you. That is all. Nothing more. Dave has been a great help through all of this and I have already sent my appreciations directly to him, as it is a private matter now. I am not addressing that incident, nor do I intend to on here unless he would like me to. I am only writing about posts since the original as to prevent some fear that we will quiz your about grandmother who wrote Leaves of Grass and give her a stink eye

#96 AutumnBeerLove, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  17. RuckIt

RuckIt Apr 29, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

I would like to chime in - @AutumnBeerLove sent me a very thoughtful and thorough email earlier today, and I believe that our poor experience was simply a misunderstanding due to two seemingly minor actions which compounded themselves; the employee not boxing our beers (I get that this can happen when busy and trying to expedite the next order) and the two employees discussing a transaction negatively (which we assumed was about us - apparently it was in regards to an earlier transaction).

Hill Farmstead is a destination that I recommend everyone visit if given the opportunity, and I believe that regardless of whatever happened (simple miscommunication, employee having a bad day, etc...) it is an isolated incident. And one that is incredibly minor in the grand scheme of things when considering how poorly some experiences at other breweries/bars/fests can go.

So, in conclusion, I appreciate those who have chimed in with their positive experiences because those truly are the "norm" at HF, as well as the continued customer service provided by Kevin and Ryan.

Cheers!

18. JosephThompson

JosephThompson Nov 29, 2011 New Jersey

As a neutral observer, feels much more like you're the one being defensive and getting angry because it's your trading partner that had an unpleasant experience (which now seems to have been a misunderstanding based on a wrong assumption).

buking21, jhavs, gclaw4444 and 4 others like this.
  19. aandresen

aandresen Sep 21, 2009 Arizona
    Trader

Does HF accept credit cards for everything?

20. eb1610

eb1610 Jan 3, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Yes

jamvt likes this.
  21. Cowboys9

Cowboys9 Jan 30, 2009 Texas

Wife and I went to HF on Saturday around 4:00PM (sucks it gets dark so early now!). I didn't realized how "out in the boonies" HF was.

It was truly beautiful. We both were warmly received and treated very well. Wife got a few goodies for us to bring home. I delayed a bit too long and forgot the merch closed at 5:00PM and forgot to get a shirt. I was really impressed with everything the wife and I had to drink.

Thanks again for treating us out-of-towners so well. We'll be back soon.

[​IMG]

22. Gsulliv2

Society Trader

How busy is it up there today? See y'all tomorrow

ke_long likes this.
  23. MachIPA

MachIPA Feb 25, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

It was not busy at all today. Maybe the rain scared people away. I got there at 11:40. I got bottles and fills. Out by 12:20. They had Time & Again 2013 for $38 for 375 ml for on site consumption.

jhavs and Gsulliv2 like this.
  24. cappy201

cappy201 Mar 25, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Since you asked...my wife and I had a great experience at HF. We both bought many bottles and received fine service. We each had a few samples while waiting for growlers to be filled and the woman who waited on us was super nice and attentive-excellent service! (And, not for nuthin, the winter porter on nitro blew my mind.)

woodfinish and buking21 like this.
  25. QCHopper

QCHopper Dec 9, 2014 Vermont

Do you mean Being & Time?

Takeanotherswing and MachIPA like this.
  26. MachIPA

MachIPA Feb 25, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

Yes, Being & Time. Sorry about that.

QCHopper likes this.
  27. KermitTheProg

KermitTheProg Feb 15, 2016 New York

Heading up to Hill for the second time ever tomorrow. Taking the girlfriend along with for a day of Vermont beer hunting. I just hope she doesn't have a heart attack when my bottle order will be north of $250 just for myself.

cappy201 likes this.
  28. NiceBeerCans

Just be glad the HF brewery is not next to a jewelry store ..... then you can round it off to an even $500 for both of you. :grinning:

#108 NiceBeerCans, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    thatche2 and cappy201 like this.
  29. rondufresne

rondufresne Dec 13, 2011 Pennsylvania

Just share some with her, and just like that, you've spent $250 on "us" rather than "myself."

30. Gsulliv2

Society Trader

Went today, awesome. Being and time on site along with Twilight of the idols on nitro. Also CANT BELIEVE I was able to get that MC7 and 4 BoT AND all the other bottles with only 1-2 people ahead of me in line. Not to mention SS9 on tap. Feel like 1-2 years ago any one of those beers would have forced a line of hundreds. Great time to be an unapologetic beer nerd

MachIPA, tylerk88, Mikecap and 2 others like this.
  31. Gsulliv2

Society Trader

Taco truck was awesome too!

frekky likes this.
  32. RuckIt

Trader

This is where I was 3-4 years ago with my now fiance. Then she started getting used to drinking "our" good beers and fell in love with most of them. Double edged sword, my friend - brewery trips are now an acceptable "couples" activity, but those beers in the fridge/cellar tend to disappear a bit faster...

33. dwmetsfan13

dwmetsfan13 Jul 22, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Will second this. It also becomes a problem when you can't drink anything good without her around.

CyriousBeer, Mikexw, yllib and 3 others like this.
  34. KermitTheProg

KermitTheProg Feb 15, 2016 New York

Just to check in: yes, I am alive. Got all my limited bottles, plus a handful of staple bottles. From there, got to get some growler fills while sharing a vintage bottle of Ann (2014) and Birth of Tragedy (2013). I had the woman behind the bar pour a glass for my girlfriend also since I know she tends to like darker beer.

"This is really good. Kinda like that bottle that your friend opened at that tailgate during the summer."

She was talking about Cycle DBR ...

I'm fucked.

Sheppard and RuckIt like this.
  35. Keithengelke

Keithengelke Jun 23, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

Anyone know if Madness and Civ will last to Fri/Sat

36. Jmonah3

Jmonah3 Nov 3, 2014 New York

• Beyond Good and Evil: (2016 Maple Syrup Barrel Edition) Imperial Stout aged in our Maple Syrup Bourbon Barrels. This imperial stout was brewed with Vermont maple syrup and aged in bourbon barrels previously used to age Vermont maple syrup and contains unfermented residual sugar from the barrel-aging process. As a result of this process, we offer this beer on draft intending for it to be consumed, shared and enjoyed within 2 weeks of sale. Do not age this product. 750ml fill only; $20 each.

37. RuckIt

Trader

Doesn't appear to have a limit on fills - I wonder if that will be updated, or if they've got enough to survive the holiday weekend.

Speaking of which, I don't see holiday hours posted anywhere... but I assume they're closed Thursday, but open Friday/Saturday?

38. MattOC

MattOC Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Closed:
    • Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 24 (Open Normally Weds., Nov. 23, Friday and Saturday, Nov. 25-26)

39. NiceBeerCans

Also listed in the first post of monthly thread under Holiday Schedule. :slight_smile:

40. eb1610

eb1610 Jan 3, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I might have to make an unexpected trip up. Fresh BG&E was amazing

Takeanotherswing and Mikecap like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.