Currently on the shelves at Hill Farmstead (September 2016)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Aspirant (202) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Since Hill Farmstead is no longer holding official release events, please use this thread to post the bottles available on the shelves along with costs, sizes, limits, and so forth.

It's OK to include the beers available in growlers too. Also, you can post new additions, for onsite consumption, in their tap room.

As always, looking at the HF retail page
    http://www.hillfarmstead.com/retail/

or calling the brewery
    802-533-7450

are your best sources for up-to-date information.

** Updated bottle release policy: http://hillfarmstead.com/faq/retail-shop/what-is-the-bottle-release-policy.html. This FAQ has been updated on June 11, 2016 and they will ONLY accept a credit card/debit card accompanied by a valid, legal picture ID that matches the name on the credit card (this excludes generic Visa / MasterCard gift cards). This requirement is only for all special releases and barrel-aged beers. Read the entire linked page which explains the changes.

To see what's available to drink (and eat) in their new tap room, click on the following link:

http://hillfarmstead.com/onsite/

There is a 2 drink limit (samples not included).

The onsite bottles, for consumption in the tap room only, are NOT to leave the tap room. Please do NOT try to steal the empty bottles. Please respect the rules. Thank you.

Food truck

Expect food trucks / carts through Columbus Day weekend. You can bring the food into the tasting room or bring your tasting glass to the food truck area.

@AutumnBeerLove, HF staff member, has been nice enough to respond to questions on this thread and to provide valuable updates like the following:

I think it is mostly safe to say our new draft onsite location in retail will stick around for the summer, if not the potential busier days. This keeps growler waits at a maximum of an hour with an average wait of under 30 minutes for a day. Along with that, it keeps two employees in retail and thus has the bottles line moving too.

2. woodfinish

woodfinish Initiate (196) Aug 24, 2005 Massachusetts

3. papposilenus

papposilenus Defender (630) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

A third of the way through the month and only two posts to the HF thread! Are they losing the love?

I haven't been to Greensboro for two or three months, myself. Can anyone speak to the lines, wait times, or apparent volume being moved up there?

4. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (246) Jan 12, 2014 Utah
    Beer Trader

No it's the beginning of September. Pretty dead time all throughout VT.

Got there at 11:30 the other day (Thursday). Was the only one there til noon. 6 people when I left at noon.

Their beer is still alright, I will confirm.

5. OnlyTheFinest

OnlyTheFinest Initiate (191) Feb 5, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

How come I'm seeing growlers of Abner popping up but I'm not seeing it on their draft list?

6. MarkF150

MarkF150 Aspirant (270) Feb 9, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

It's still available for fills

http://hillfarmstead.com/retail/

7. the_bk

the_bk Initiate (147) Mar 2, 2014 Vermont
    Beer Trader

There is an ABV limit on what is available for draft on-site so that people don't drive drunk.

8. OnlyTheFinest

OnlyTheFinest Initiate (191) Feb 5, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Just to be be clear for myself, Abner is never bottled?

9. dwmetsfan13

dwmetsfan13 Initiate (153) Jul 22, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Correct. All of their hoppy beers are growler/draft only.

OnlyTheFinest and woodfinish like this.
  10. woodfinish

woodfinish Initiate (196) Aug 24, 2005 Massachusetts

Minor amendment: Dorothy and the dry-hopped Arthur variants are hoppier farmhouse ales, and they're bottled. At least at one time, Dorothy's label advised that it be kept cold and opened fresh.

jhavs and dwmetsfan13 like this.
  11. pehodges

pehodges Initiate (161) May 25, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

It's on the draft list now- probably put it on at the end of last week and didn't update the web page.

jhavs likes this.
  12. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Initiate (181) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Cambridge Brew Co. facebook has pictures of them at HF brewing a pumpkin/gourd beer. Super interested in that.

jhavs likes this.
  13. AutumnBeerLove

AutumnBeerLove Aspirant (232) Oct 16, 2010 Vermont
    Beer Trader

It's been on there the whole time...

jhavs likes this.
  14. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aspirant (228) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

Do they do samples these days at all or is it simply just growlers and the "larger" pours? I know the drink limit mentions samples but I didn't see anything else about samples on the website.

Thanks

15. NiceBeerCans

Beer Trader

Yes, they do samples but not on everything on tap.

16. Loanstarbeergeek89

Loanstarbeergeek89 Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2016 Maine
    Beer Trader

How long do the special bottles last?

jhavs likes this.
  17. QCHopper

QCHopper Initiate (82) Dec 9, 2014 Vermont
    Beer Trader

They have been really good at setting limits so the special bottles last at least through the week. Sometimes longer depending on crowds. It was mentioned to me that this is now the slow season where beer festivals have stopped and the busy foliage season hasn't begun. Bottles might actually last

jhavs likes this.
  18. Burntfoot

Burntfoot Disciple (319) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

wish I could get up there for some Elab 5

jhavs likes this.
  19. AutumnBeerLove

Beer Trader

Everything on tap is available for sample.

jhavs likes this.
  20. NiceBeerCans

Beer Trader

Oops, probably mixed up a pour with a sample in the past. Thanks for the correction.

jhavs likes this.
  21. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Disciple (347) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Except for on Saturdays right? Also I saw in the past that they sometimes do not do growler fills on Saturday? My folks are going to be there Saturday that is why I am asking.
    Thanks.

22. AutumnBeerLove

Beer Trader

Saturday also. We sometimes remove our nitro or wild beer from onsite availability on Saturday. Otherwise, everything on tap is available for tasting.

And growler fills have never, ever, ever not been available during retail hours. We focus on growlers and bottles much more than onsite consumption. We are not a bar, hence the two drink limit.

Mikecap, frekky, jhavs and 3 others like this.
  23. Str8fromtheGrnMtns

Str8fromtheGrnMtns Initiate (170) Sep 8, 2014 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Gsulliv2 likes this.
  24. Burntfoot

Burntfoot Disciple (319) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

no proxy please!

25. ewendel

ewendel Initiate (145) Feb 12, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

Well, unless the aim is to take Collected Works in the complete opposite direction of its original intent, I do hope there are trustees / proxies allowed, as was the case in 2013... Although I'll likely be met with disappointment a la the basic laws of probability, this Washingtonian would rather not be faced with disappointment straight outta the gate.

26. benbking

benbking Disciple (305) Dec 11, 2009 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Bi -Annual pick ups are a possibility. Good luck in the lotto.

27. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Initiate (181) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Collected Works details are up: http://hillfarmstead.com/cw/

Basically, $100 membership fee gets you:

-Guaranteed opportunity to buy every bottle release for the next year and have the bottles held for you for pickup (1 month, 3 month, 6 month options)
    -At least one members only release (sounds like potential for a few)
    -Higher bottle limits on some releases
    -Growler fills and retail sales on Tuesdays
    -First crack at membership in future years

Oh man. I really really hope I get picked.

Only real downside I see is no Saturday pickups. Like the no proxies rule, however, probably geared to keeping as many of the signups as close to home as possible.

#27 wehaveamap, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  28. benbking

benbking Disciple (305) Dec 11, 2009 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

They're basically saying, come have a membership day on Tuesdays, the way I read it. And If I get in, that's my plan. 3 month windows, tuesday pick up(barring weather). And they're using this to donate to the community, for childhood education. Very exciting stuff.

29. JStampler

JStampler Disciple (372) Jan 15, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I'm trying to figure out how their pickup windows are going to work for Collected Works. If I choose bi-annual, do I have to go the specific days they make pickups available? My family has a house in greensboro but it's closed for the winter and I usually don't get up there in the spring until April.

30. shawn14526

shawn14526 Initiate (95) Dec 11, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

They specifically mentioned March and September.
    Anyway, I entered the "lottery" and chose bi-annual. Here's hoping.

jhavs likes this.
  31. JStampler

JStampler Disciple (372) Jan 15, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I know but I wasn't sure if those are the only times you can pick up the bottles if if the pickups start in March and September and you can pick up any time after those dates. Seems weird to only have specific times when you can pick up bottles if they just have them stored int he back somewhere. If I show up in April I would miss out on everything I purchased before then just because I didn't get there a few days before?

32. AutumnBeerLove

Beer Trader

Hello everyone,

as per the Collected works posting, if you have any questions please email: hfbcollectedworks@gmail.com
    Please don't call, email info@, FB message, BA message or any other means of communication.
    Emailing hfbcollectedworks@gmail.com will provide you with the most comprehensive answer to your question.

Kevin

33. ewendel

ewendel Initiate (145) Feb 12, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

Yep, I already sent 'em an email regarding this exact question. I'm the crazy person from Washington state that's actually considering this... so, yeah, howdy. I imagine they'll clarify directly on that Collected Works webpage, either in the relevant section, or in the FAQs.

JStampler likes this.
  34. pisano

pisano Zealot (517) Sep 18, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I was wondering the same thing. It seems like they wouldn't mind if you make your pick up on some other date so long as you give them ample notice of your plans (I would assume it's so that they can grab your bottles from storage and get them ready ahead of time).

35. LCC

LCC Initiate (152) Mar 2, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

what is on the shelves today? elab 5 going to last through tomorrow?
    per their promise, the website has been updated sporadically, whimsically.
    thanks!

36. AutumnBeerLove

Beer Trader

The retail page is updated to the minute with what is available.

Mikecap, F2brewers, LCC and 1 other person like this.
  37. Skwalk47

Skwalk47 Aspirant (234) Aug 31, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Sounds amazing.Hopefully the wife or I get selected.

38. Faxmesomehalibut

Faxmesomehalibut Zealot (542) May 22, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Anyone know what was for onsite today? Might be going tomorrow and wondering if there was anything spectacular on today...

39. cgskippy

cgskippy Initiate (162) Apr 6, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

from Facebook group looks like 3F A&G, CD 15, Elab 1 and 5, and Vera Mae '15 among others

40. GreaserGreg

GreaserGreg Initiate (135) Feb 27, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

Lou Pepe Kriek '12 as well.

Mikecap likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.