Currently on the shelves at Hill Farmstead (September/October 2018)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, Sep 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattOC

MattOC Disciple (363) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Thanks! Of course. I appreciate the update.

2. celfan

celfan Aspirant (227) Jul 4, 2004 Vermont
    Trader

Went last week for first time in a while. Beer was good as always, but my favorite part of the visit was seeing Charlie, the brewery's unofficial mascot, was still around. At least I think it was him, he's definitely getting up there in age.I hope the brewery has a good picture of him so they can put it on a special bottle to honor him one day.

rightcoast7, Janeinma, icfpny and 4 others like this.
  3. woodfinish

woodfinish Initiate (190) Aug 24, 2005 Massachusetts

Did Aaron survive Saturday?

4. shadetree67

shadetree67 Disciple (309) Sep 11, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

Looks like the new glasses are sold out :slight_frown:

5. woodfinish

More on the way, per Instagram.

6. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,008) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Glasses Good...Florence Puncheon Exceptional

7. MattOC

Trader

I would suspect it did. I was there today and Phil announced before open that it was unlikely they would sell out of Aaron. When I made my order, I'd say they had about 50 cases left. Still listed on retail page too.

Sabtos, jhavs and woodfinish like this.
  8. mattyg2k

mattyg2k Initiate (68) May 5, 2017 Maine
    Trader

Headed up there tomorrow for the first time. Any quick tips, besides buying a can/bottle/growler of everything?

9. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aspirant (225) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

On a Wednesday, hit retail shop for cans/bottles (on the left) first. Bring back to car hopefully in one of the shade spots. Then, grab a growler ticket in the taproom. Patiently wait your turn while sampling tasters. Get growlers, bring to car, return for your two pours and enjoy the grounds.

It’s beautiful. Enjoy!

rozzom, ColdOne, Capt_Quint and 5 others like this.
  10. mattyg2k

Trader

Sounds like a plan. Thanks!

Oh, is everything clearly marked and stuff? I want to look as little like a noob as possible and not wait in the wrong line for an hour, haha.

11. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (335) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Trader

The retail shop is a separate building on the left, and the taproom is a much larger building on the right with a covered porch. As soon as you walk into the taproom, you grab a ticket for growlers just like a ticket at the deli or something. Middle/left side of the bar is where they will call your number for fills, and line for pours forms at the right.

It's honestly the best beer spot I've ever been to pretty much regardless of what they have available that day. Enjoy!

rozzom, DIPALover and mattyg2k like this.
  12. mattyg2k

Trader

Thanks for all the help fellas!

13. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,818) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

What time will you be there?

14. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (344) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

10 of everything... you can never have enough.

Sheppard and mattyg2k like this.
  15. woodfinish

Sizable retail line this morning, but Phil says plenty of Aaron for the day & limits on Florence Puncheon at least temporarily up to 6. And a few Florence Puncheon magnums!

MedicinalSkooma, Tine802 and jhavs like this.
  16. mattyg2k

Trader

Damn, I left right before you posted this. I got there at opening and bought tons of beer, but not too much because there's no such thing. Stayed until 4 then headed home. Great spot, definitely worth the drive. A little pokey at the retail station, but I have no problem chilling out in line.

Thanks again for the tips fellas!

rightcoast7 likes this.
  17. jhavs

Society Trader

I got there at about 3:45, no line at all! I was going to see if you wanted to share some bottles.

mattyg2k and 7irondave like this.
  18. papposilenus

papposilenus Meyvn (1,179) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire

I do it the other way round but I'm usually there before opening and filling at least 12 growlers. I get myself up at the front of the line, grab my ticket and, while they're filling my growlers, I go next door for my cans and bottles. By the time I get back from the retail shop, they're usually just finishing up my fills.

mattyg2k likes this.
  19. mattyg2k

Trader

That would've been cool. We probably passed each other on the way in/out.

I was thinking afterwards if that would've been the thing to do, but it took over an hour in the retail line. I wasn't going to get more than 6 growlers so I either would've missed my number or had my stuff sitting around forever. Like I said, I was OK with waiting since it was my first trip there. But if time was of the essence, it makes a little more sense to do fills first, then bottles/cans. That or show up later when it's settled down.

Oh, and props to the person who ripped off tickets 415-419 and left them on the barrel so they could get 420.

20. Franfab

Franfab Aspirant (213) Apr 3, 2018 Illinois
    Society Trader

Serious question - how long do their swing top growlers seem to protect the beer? When I read about people getting 12 fills or even 6 fills, I think "Man - thats a lot of beer to drink in a few days". Just trying to gauge as I'll be hauling as much as I can home.

21. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aspirant (225) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

Glad you enjoyed ... I don't fill the 6 - 12 growlers so hence my order of things that I suggested. Also, I've found getting there at 1 avoids the lines and I've been lucky to not have missed on anything I desperately wanted (i.e. Aaron when I went last week).

mattyg2k likes this.
  22. MattOC

Trader

Their growlers tags have a drink by date from a week out from when they are filled. I tend to abide by that, but have never had any issues if I go over by a few days or a week.

I have great faith in swing tops over twist caps in lasting power. Plus, Hill fills well - counter pressure and filled to the top. I don't think you'll run into any issues if you load up and then they set in your fridge a little longer than the consume by date.

I took 7 home last Saturday (2x2L and 5x750). A lot, yes, but not too worried if I go over the drink by date of this Saturday. Some was consumed last weekend.

23. jhavs

Society Trader

I've pulled one out of my fridge after a month with limited diminishment of quality. I try my best to drink within a week, but sometimes don't make it in that timeline.
    I prefer the swing tops over screw tops by a large margin for maintaining freshness (as long as the rubber seal is not damaged).

papposilenus, jbarletto and Franfab like this.
  24. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,008) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Similar to @jhavs

Have held on to HF fills for weeks yet < a month. Nonetheless, have never had a problem with deterioration. Granted, the brews mature/develop as they should (e.g. green, raw -> smooth, creamy -> sweet, malty), but certainly no issues with oxidation or corrosion.

+ the purge helps, but proper storage plays a key role

woodfinish, Franfab and jhavs like this.
  25. Takeanotherswing

Takeanotherswing Initiate (125) Jan 14, 2011 New York
    Trader

I went on Friday and there was absolutely no growler wait when I went so I waited til after retail and drinks to get ticket which was called almost immediately. Haven't gotten growlers there in a while! Strange calm Friday - then went back Saturday and that's a day to avoid like the plague . maybe cause the weather was so nice? but I can't do Saturdays there anymore in busy seasons I think. I left and went for a hike. Glad I got some glasses before they ran out though.

26. Figueroada

Figueroada Initiate (70) Apr 21, 2016 Connecticut
    Trader

Hey beer lover from Boston. Me and a buddy were suppose to go up to hill this Wednesday but last minute things happened and he is no longer able to go. If someone has an extra seat in their car and willing to share it with a beer loving stranger. It would be awesome. Will gladly help pay for gas and also buy a bottle to share at hill.

27. ransom22

ransom22 Aspirant (214) Feb 5, 2016 Uzbekistan
    Trader

Is Damon overhyped?

28. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (438) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

my vote would be no -- not overhyped. I had two from 2013 that got consumed at two shares over the past month. Consensus was the beer held up well and the barrel character was pleasantly subdued. Of course this years release sounds like a totally unique barrel treatment -- so the results could be totally different to past releases. Cheers -- hope to get a bottle this week.
    [​IMG]

29. jhavs

Society Trader

I agree with Chipa, Damon has been as close to perfect as I can imagine. Exactly the right amount of barrel presence.

yllib, chipawayboy and SABERG like this.
  30. beer4miles

beer4miles Initiate (75) Nov 6, 2017 Vermont
    Trader

If this new variant is anything like Kieni, then we’re all in for an amazing beer.

jhavs likes this.
  31. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (260) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont

This Damon version was served incognito at the Mixer the night before FOFA with a dessert pairing, and it was delicious. Not over-hyped; just never very much to go around, I guess.

MedicinalSkooma likes this.
  32. Wolfpac78

Wolfpac78 Initiate (122) Feb 18, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

Any way Damon lasts in to next week? Aaron seemed to stick around longer than I expected so holding out hope it's there when I'm up there next Friday (10/5)!

33. JuanFushashi

JuanFushashi Initiate (150) Feb 5, 2011 Maine
    Trader

Limits confirmed 1pp, $30.

Based on 1pp, I would expect it to last into next week, but next weekend should be crazy with leaf peeper season. Wish it was 2pp like Aaron or BGaE, but since I passed on Flora Puncheon last week, I'll grab some this time around. $30 for a 375ml though...dang, better not spill any.

Davl22 and cdilisio like this.
  34. RuckIt

RuckIt Aspirant (208) Apr 29, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

Not sure about how big the last BG&E batch was, but I assume it was larger than 2 barrels. The last Damon was also 2-barrels, and they opted for on-site only... and it lasted a couple weeks. I assume the to-go option will bring people out in greater numbers, but that's pure speculation.

If I had to guess, I'd say it lasts into Friday, maybe Saturday but that might be pushing it.

35. Wolfpac78

Wolfpac78 Initiate (122) Feb 18, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

When you say a Friday do you mean 9/28 or10/5?

SandoKing likes this.
  36. RuckIt

Trader

I expect sells out this week

JuanFushashi likes this.
  37. JuanFushashi

Trader

Seems like general consensus across the interwebs is that I was wrong in my earlier post and that it will sell out before Saturday.

See you jerks in line today. I’ll be the one getting Damon.

38. JuanFushashi

Trader

Furthest back in line I’ve ever been before open and it’s also the earliest I’ve ever been...

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  39. RuckIt

Trader

How's the line?

40. JuanFushashi

Trader

Makes Aaron’s line look like a shelfie-only Wednesday during stick season.

(Longest I’ve ever seen.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.