Currently on the shelves at Hill Farmstead (September/October 2018)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, Sep 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (223) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

did those nerds forget that BiL? :slight_smile:

2. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (224) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Is $30 for a 375ml standard pricing for them? Jesus that's steep.

lic217 and ransom22 like this.
  3. shadetree67

shadetree67 Disciple (309) Sep 11, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

Any chance that the florence punchdown lasts until next weekend?

4. Michaelpro824

Michaelpro824 Initiate (121) Nov 27, 2015 New York
    Trader

Couple reports of sold out. Not sure if this is holding supply back for tomorrow or actually Sold Out

5. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,820) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

Website has update that says 50 bottles left for Thursday.

6. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (264) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

Not typically for to-go. I paid $30-35 for DB Damon on-site, but that basically took 4 years to make, so I'd agree with you that's a pretty steep price. I'm assuming because of the coffee used?

7. ransom22

ransom22 Aspirant (214) Feb 5, 2016 Uzbekistan
    Trader

I'm sorry but to me that is ridiculous

$30 for one 375ml bottle, 8+ hour round trip for many people... dawg

lic217 likes this.
  8. Futurepoop

Futurepoop Initiate (79) Feb 10, 2014 Pennsylvania

Bummed it won't be there when I make my annual pilgrimage on Saturday but Florence Puncheon is still pretty awesome. Maybe I'll get lucky with a cool on-site bottle. Either way, it's gonna be a great weekend in VT with the wife :slight_smile:

Beer_Economicus and yllib like this.
  9. ajthegreat

ajthegreat Initiate (156) Nov 11, 2010 Vermont

It is bonkers. To each their own.

10. Michaelpro824

Trader

Probably a $300 day for me between bottles, growlers, pours (including 2 Damon FVB, a DB Damon on-site bottle, some Florence Puncheons). As someone who gets to HF probably quarterly, it was easily one of my favorite days there. The DB Damon on-site was an absolute treat, can’t wait to open a FVB.

11. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (264) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

How much were they charging for the DB Damon on-site?

12. Resuin

Resuin Meyvn (1,266) Jun 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

$44

13. rodmanfor3

rodmanfor3 Champion (878) Aug 11, 2014 Vermont
    Trader

It sounds like the Damon: Finca Buena Vista release was a complete dumpster fire.

Did the brewery offer vintage bottles to go or special onsite options to those who made the trip to Greensboro and missed out on the release?

Serious answers only, please. I am not looking for fanboy responses like, "Their shelf saisons are world class and worth making the trip up on their own."

Thanks.

14. DonFrap

DonFrap Zealot (506) Feb 27, 2011 Massachusetts
    Trader

Who missed out on a bottle? It lasted the day yesterday and they were very upfront about only having 50 available at open today...

15. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (438) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

First a bait and switch and now a dumpster fire. You having a rough year?

16. Run4theRoses

Run4theRoses Zealot (557) Jan 23, 2014 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Plus, I mean, c’mon, the shelf Saisons are world class.

17. Michaelpro824

Trader

Don’t know what qualifies as a ‘dumpster fire’. You knew what you were getting into. You were gonna get a bottle of Damon and you were gonna wait for a while.

Yesterday they brought out Double Barrel Damon bottles for onsite. Had plenty, lasted a couple hrs.

There were to go bottles of 3F intense red and geuze.

Looks like today had onsite bottles of Damon el Desarollo. Wasn’t there so don’t know how many.

JuanFushashi, purephase and Janeinma like this.
  18. rodmanfor3

Trader

I would imagine that plenty of people who made the trip to Hill Farmstead on Thursday would have preferred to go home with a bottle of Damon: FBV, given the choice, whether that was their reality or not.

To me, it seems as though the brewery perhaps miscalculated the demand for this beer, relative to the supply of beer they intended to sell during the release period. I do not imagine that the marketing goal of this particular release was to essentially sell out of all but 50 bottles on the first day of their work week. This just seems foolish. I could be wrong, though.

I think that a more reasonable release could have been planned, one that allowed for allocations of the beer to last throughout the week, but that is a topic for a separate debate.

Keeping in line with the topic of this thread, I was just curious to see if consolation beers were offered to people who missed out on landing a bottle of the Damon variant on Thursday. For example, if you were person #51 in line this morning, and everyone in front of you was able to purchase a bottle, it would be cool in principle if Hill Farmstead was able to post something that said, "Thanks for making the trip up. We are sorry that the beer you intended to purchase has sold out. For the remainder of the day, we will be offering a vintage bottle of E. for purchase at the retail shop (limit 1 per person) and a voucher for a 2 oz. pour of Damon: Finca Buena Vista inside the tasting room to all patrons who missed out on this week's release."

I have my answer: No additional to-go bottles were offered to patrons to replace the Damon: FBV on Thursday, and no "bonus" bottles or draft pours were added to the onsite list after the sell out.

Thanks!

ransom22 likes this.
  19. rodmanfor3

Trader

Typically, I would ask you to stay on the topic of discussion, but I will make an exception in your case, because, according to Kanye West, "There are people who are committing suicide due to not getting enough likes," and you might actually fall into that category. Mental illness is a serious issue, and if trolling me anonymously on a public forum is what it takes to keep you in a positive place, I will allow it this one time. In the future, however, please stick to the topic of the thread and seek out social media likes and validation elsewhere.

Cheers!

ransom22 likes this.
  20. ajthegreat

I cant tell if you are being serious or of this is an elaborate ruse to screw with people on this site. In either case, you still sound like a gigantic douche.

21. 7irondave

7irondave Zealot (557) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Wow! Somebody is butthurt.

I really wish they adjusted allocations to a 1/2 bottle per person . . . :rolling_eyes:

Happy Friday everyone. :beers:

Lupin, JuanFushashi and Sabtos like this.
  22. chipawayboy

Trader

Dude didn’t you learn anything from your absurd b&s post? Say stupid shit here and you will be called on it and/or mocked.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/hill-farmstead-bait-and-switch.584227/

rozzom, Sabtos and 7irondave like this.
  23. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,431) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

The entitlement is strong with this one.

You'd think someone with multiple years on this board and that many limited brews rated would be familiar with the perils of limited beer releases.

rozzom, Franfab, ewendel and 2 others like this.
  24. hazymcjooceface

hazymcjooceface Initiate (31) Mar 12, 2017 Connecticut

Fair warning this may be a bad question:

Do we have any insight on how they are able to obtain enough bottles from 3F to sell for take away? I am assuming they are friends and all, but do they just ship pallets (not sure how many were available) over to HF from europe?

Also, (deeper dive haha) i wonder how they are legally able to do this. I'm from CT the land of take away limit laws. Have a vast understanding of bird law, just not VT beer law.

Just genuinely curious, thanks!

25. dogdrule

dogdrule Initiate (178) Jan 11, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

We've been long overdue for a good copypasta

TheOneTC, JuanFushashi and Rysk22 like this.
  26. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (205) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

But what if I miss out on the 1/2 bottle allocation as well? Will they at least let me lick the bourbon barrel?

27. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (205) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Since you are on the topic of giving advice...I have some for you. It seems like chasing limited beer is causing you to write ridiculous rants on social media. Perhaps it is time to give up the game and visit a package store for some more easily obtained beers. I find Weyerbacher's Sunday Morning Stout to be enjoyable and at least in my experience, liquor stores are happy to sell you as much as you want of it. If it is not available, they usually have nearly as good alternatives. Cheers!

28. beer4miles

beer4miles Initiate (75) Nov 6, 2017 Vermont
    Trader

I've always heard that Shaun controls all Cantillon/3F lambic in the state since Grassroots Distribution is the Shelton Brothers distributor for Vermont

29. rodmanfor3

Trader

Shaun Hill's distribution company, Grassroots Distribution, has a contract with Shelton Brothers in Vermont. Shleton Brothers supplies Grassroots / Hill Farmstead with Drie Fonteinen bottles. In essence, Hill Farmstead owns their own distribution company, which gives them greater flexibility when it comes to buying and selling beer. I also think that Vermont beer laws are more relaxed than other states.

In the past, many of the "shelf" lambics that came through Grassroots Distribution used to hit distro in local bottle shops, with the more "limited" seasonal offerings being reserved for onsite consumption at places like Parker Pie, and more recently at the Hill Farmstead tasting room. Now, nearly their entire inventory is sold at the brewery, either through the retail shop or onsite in their tasting room.

GarMerr, JuanFushashi and ransom22 like this.
  30. hazymcjooceface

hazymcjooceface Initiate (31) Mar 12, 2017 Connecticut

Wow that was actually very fascinating and thorough. Thanks man!

rozzom and rodmanfor3 like this.
  31. JuanFushashi

JuanFushashi Initiate (150) Feb 5, 2011 Maine
    Trader

While I'm lucky enough to work remotely on Wednesdays, my partner is not, but anyone traveling with someone else that day could really have a great experience. People were coming back juggling glasses of Vera Mae, Aaron, and Damon and people were sharing with others in line. The staff snaked the line around so everyone in the back could be within the designated drinking area.

rodmanfor3 likes this.
  32. Jawnnm

Jawnnm Initiate (109) Aug 21, 2010 New Mexico
    Trader

What are the chances that Florence Punch lasts through tomorrow? @PhilSaid ?

Crossing fingers!

33. beer4miles

beer4miles Initiate (75) Nov 6, 2017 Vermont
    Trader

They’re expecting larger the normal crowds because of leaf peeping season. And limits are still 6pp, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it sells out tomorrow

JuanFushashi and Jawnnm like this.
  34. ajthegreat

Luckily, if it kicks you may be compensated with bonus bottles, consolation pours, and a hug. Am I right @rodmanfor3 ? You giant freaking douche.

35. Jawnnm

Jawnnm Initiate (109) Aug 21, 2010 New Mexico
    Trader

I'm in for hugs.

36. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (2,373) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

Are you the dude-bro who was begging people at the back of the line Wednesday at around 4pm to buy you a bottle? I think you were offering $100 or a bunch of Hudson Valley cans.

chipawayboy likes this.
  37. lic217

lic217 Champion (862) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

Can we try not to turn this thread into a treehouse type thread?

38. chipawayboy

Trader

@Sabtos could guide us through the valley of darkness...:grin:

cdilisio, Sabtos and Zombie_Dust like this.
  39. papposilenus

papposilenus Meyvn (1,179) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire

That right there, that's like crying Voldemort in a crowded theater.

mattyg2k and Sabtos like this.
  40. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,431) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Leeeeeeeeeeeroyyyyyyyy Jjjjjjjjjennnnnnkinnnnnns!!!

rozzom and hazymcjooceface like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.