Currently on the shelves at Hill Farmstead (September/October 2018)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, Sep 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beer4miles

beer4miles Initiate (74) Nov 6, 2017 Vermont
    Trader

Pudgemaster and yankeeewine like this.
  2. Wolfpac78

Wolfpac78 Initiate (115) Feb 18, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

Trying to decide on whether to stop at HF Argos afternoon or tomorrow afternoon - would either day expect to have any sort of line in the noon to two time frame? Trying to avoid having to wait around as much as possible.

3. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,813) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

The chance of a line at 2pm is much less than if you arrived for open.
    That being said, if there is something specific you want onsite or retail and it has a chance to run out, arriving at noon would be your best bet.
    It is getting into leaf peeping season, which brings crowds of tourists into the area. The least likely chance of a line at any time of year is 3p on Wednesday or Thursday. Of course if there is a big bottle release Wednesday's can stay crazy all day (e.g. Damon last week).

4. ajthegreat

ajthegreat Initiate (155) Nov 11, 2010 Vermont

This weekend is typically one of the busiest of the year. I would expect Friday is very busy. These batches of Citra and SS10 are absolute fire.

Davl22 and SABERG like this.
  5. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (259) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont

It's a holiday weekend both in the states, and Canada. I always meet tons of Quebecers at HF, so be prepared for an internationally-flavored wait this weekend.

papposilenus likes this.
  6. papposilenus

papposilenus Meyvn (1,206) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire

This, although even more so at Schilling.

7. shadetree67

shadetree67 Disciple (309) Sep 11, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

Is it normal for a 750ml hill farmstead growler to leak when set on its side or does this indicate that I should drink it sooner rather than later?

8. vtcraft

vtcraft Initiate (160) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Trader

I’ll be in craftsbury for a race illtomorrow morning so thinking of swinging by for some cans and bottles. I know it expected to be bussy but a couple of questions. What of odds of cans lasting until mid afternoon? Will their be long lines for cans and bottles to go? I’m not worried about anything “special” just a couple six packs and few bottles of Arthur. Thanks

9. 7irondave

7irondave Zealot (542) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Not normal. Drink up.

lic217 likes this.
  10. papposilenus

papposilenus Meyvn (1,206) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire

No, not normal. Drink it now, if you haven't already.

Check that the rubber seal is seated properly and not old and dried out and that the bale is working properly before you use it again.

And don't set growlers on their sides. Why would you even do that?

Cbird and msiegel04 like this.
  11. jhavs

Society Trader

No normal, rubber seal must not be right.

12. ajthegreat

Good chance of cans lasting into the afternoon. Yes there will be long lines at the retail side today.

13. JuanFushashi

JuanFushashi Initiate (144) Feb 5, 2011 Maine
    Trader

Huge fan of Phenom. And it looks like Society & Solitude is now reaching Spinal Tap levels...

ewendel and jhavs like this.
  14. Buddhaa

Buddhaa Initiate (53) Mar 10, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Think Phenom will last until Friday?

15. CbusBrews13

CbusBrews13 Initiate (44) Apr 6, 2017 Ohio

Quick question--visiting HF for the first time on Friday and the answer to this has been difficult to track down. It looks like they are done with food trucks for the time being and while they might "pop up", can you bring outside food to HF?

16. sonsofauerbach

sonsofauerbach Initiate (159) Sep 30, 2013 Vermont
    Trader

Yes

17. CbusBrews13

Thanks!

18. Buddhaa

Buddhaa Initiate (53) Mar 10, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Really excited for my first trip here on Friday, I can't wait! any things not to miss there, I have only had maybe 1 or 2 of their beers.

ColdOne and hazymcjooceface like this.
  19. jhavs

Society Trader

There is a ton of variety and great brews on the current retail list so you should make out great no matter what you choose. The one thing that may be a once in a lifetime chance is the onsite Flora Melange. You most likely won't see those out in the wild!

ewendel likes this.
  20. ewendel

ewendel Initiate (114) Feb 12, 2008 Washington
    Trader

I shared a Flora Melange w/ my wife today, and 100% agree. It’s delicious. Definitely get a bottle if it’s available.

Franfab, kbergen28 and jhavs like this.
  21. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (261) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

Have they canned Edward or Abner yet? Can't remember seeing any batches before.

Sabtos likes this.
  22. ajthegreat

I asked @PhilSaid this exact question last month. I am pretty sure he said they did a tiny run of 16 oz. cans of Edward when they started canning, but they have NOT canned Abner. I got the impression that we will see one or both at some point in the future, they just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Sabtos and Davl22 like this.
  23. yossle

yossle Initiate (142) Dec 31, 2016 New York

Hi everyone, looking for a little wisdom that I didn't see elsewhere.

Some buddies of mine and I will be heading to HF for the first time on Friday Oct. 25th. We're hoping to get there at about 2pm. What can we expect in terms of crowd/wait time? Will we be able to walk right in and get cans/bottles as well as pours, or is there typically a long line and long wait?

Thanks in advance for any and all insight!

JFresh21 likes this.
  24. jhavs

Society Trader

Getting into the tail end of leaf peeping tourist season then so will be a bit settled down. If you arrived a week or two later or on Thursday I would expect it to be pretty chill.
    It shouldn't be that bad though, and if there is a line you can have someone get in the pour line and bring a beer to the others in the retail line. Grab your growler ticket first if you are getting growlers (deli style number system). This is usually what takes the longest time.
    This is all completely different if there is a big retail release (limited bottle) that will trump everything and the retail line can get long.
    I expect you should be fine at 2pm on that Friday. Have fun and good luck!

yossle likes this.
  25. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (357) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

It's kind of shocking to me that they don't just have canned Edward always. I would buy very many cans!

Sabtos and Davl22 like this.
  26. ajthegreat

I wonder how much of it has to do with Edward distro. You can pretty much find it on draft at any good beer bar in Central/ Northern VT. Agree with you though, I would drink the shit out of those cans.

27. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (261) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

Killer visit today. Poetica 2 on draft, Flora Melange onsite, perfect fall weather. Also, it's not listed on their site, but there's a new Wunderkammer guest bottle as well as 3F Kriek 375's to go.

jhavs likes this.
  28. vtcraft

vtcraft Initiate (160) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Trader

The wait for cans and bottles will be 15 min max that’s with a big bottle release. If their is no big bottle release might not be a line at all

yossle likes this.
  29. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Savant (992) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

30. CbusBrews13

First trip to HF on Friday was outstanding. Well done by the HF staff for making it such a laidback, easy experience. Best part was that I was able to successfully get my growlers of S&S 7 and 8 home on a plane without any breaks or leaks.

HF was probably the highlight of our fall trip to NE.

ewendel, wasatchback, Davl22 and 9 others like this.
  31. rozzom

rozzom Champion (878) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

beer4miles and ajthegreat like this.
  32. jacincm

jacincm Initiate (53) Mar 29, 2018 Pennsylvania

Was Karma Emulsion canned recently? Have a trade lined up and couldn't find info. I know this collab was done with Tired hands a few years ago and didn't know if they did it again?

33. mattyg2k

mattyg2k Initiate (68) May 5, 2017 Maine
    Trader

They had cans of it available when I went up a few weeks ago.

34. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Savant (992) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Released on 9/19 with Florence Puncheon

35. MattOC

MattOC Disciple (352) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Per the main retail page, a fresh batch of Karma Emulsion cans was released on Wednesday, September 19th when they released Florence Puncheon,

jacincm likes this.
  36. jacincm

jacincm Initiate (53) Mar 29, 2018 Pennsylvania

Thanks fellas!

Tired Hands is my favorite brewery and couldn't pass up an opportunity to try this since I hold Hill Farmstead in very high regard

Cheers!

MattOC likes this.
  37. Skwalk47

Skwalk47 Aspirant (266) Aug 31, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Last Fri Poetica was still on tap. Didn't get to try it between Flora Melange and beyond good and evil. Anyone know if it's still on today or tomorrow. (Lots of time up here lately as the wife and I are house hunting in the area)

38. Stormfield

Stormfield Initiate (131) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

What’s it like up there during Thanksgiving week? I would guess busy. Obviously closed on Thanksgiving itself, but I plan to go on Friday or Saturday of that week. I always expect a madhouse no matter what and consider myself lucky when it isn’t. (Hopefully they won’t have any bait-and-switch beers that week. Ha, ha.)

It’d be a huge bonus if Lawson’s is open.

39. rodmanfor3

rodmanfor3 Champion (873) Aug 11, 2014 Vermont
    Trader

Thanksgiving week is typically busy at Hill Farmstead. There will likely be long lines for beer (retail and on-site) and limited space to hang out in the tasting room with the big crowds, but probably still worth the visit if you are in the area.

Two years ago, they released BG&E (the growler fill version) during the week of Thanksgiving, so it was unusually busy and hectic at HF. If the staff opt to hold off on a big release that week, the crowds might be more manageable. Stay tuned for updates on the release schedule during your week of travel.

I would not be too concerned about a bait and switch situation at Hill Farmstead moving forward. It is my understanding that they have consolation pours and world class saisons to make up for any salty disappointment their customers may be experiencing during their visit.

For the past few years, Lawson's has hosted a truck sale during the Thanksgiving weekend. It seems to be a big event for them. I would imagine that there will be some sort of public can sale that week, even if the brewery is not officially open to the public at that point.

40. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (436) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Salty Disappointment. LMFAO.

Run4theRoses likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.