Currently on the shelves at Hill Farmstead (September/October 2018)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, Sep 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ransom22

ransom22 Aspirant (214) Feb 5, 2016 Uzbekistan
    Trader

Whoa whattttt. How is line jumping possible at HF?

7irondave likes this.
  2. Stormfield

Stormfield Initiate (131) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Back in the spring I bought two bottles of Birth of Tragedy at the brewery, but I haven’t cracked one yet. The bottle says that the brewers suggest drinking it within 6 months. I’m guessing this is because the coffee flavor fades, but what is this beer like as it ages past the recommended date? I intend to have one this weekend, but I am hoping to hang on to the other one for another six months or so. Anyone have experience with BoT that can offer advice?

3. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (259) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont

Yikes! I'll stick with the $50 Wunderkammer magnums of Vasilio's beers available at local retail if I wanna go big - a bit more affordable.

jbarletto, icfpny and soheadyithurts like this.
  4. Takeanotherswing

Takeanotherswing Initiate (124) Jan 14, 2011 New York
    Trader

Wouldn't that be batch 3 Aaron bottled in '17 and not batch 2 which would be Aaron bottled 9/2016? I know it gets little confusing. But there's bottled dates on some & vintage year listed on others. Think there's a vintage '12,'14,'15,'16 technically but could be wrong anyone confirm?

5. Phineasco

Phineasco Champion (826) Sep 4, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

The beer I had that I thought was really sweet and boozy was bottled in May of 2017. I had a bottle shortly after it was released in November of 2017. The draft pour I had yesterday was listed as 2015, and the bartender told me it was batch 2.

It’s confusing because the 2017 Aaron says Vintage 2015 on the bottle, that was bottled in 2017 because it sits in barrels for 2 years.

6. richemp

richemp Initiate (54) Jan 2, 2011 Illinois

Anyone know if bottles are still available?

7. Takeanotherswing

Takeanotherswing Initiate (124) Jan 14, 2011 New York
    Trader

Weird cause there wasn't a '13 vintage nor a '15 bottle release and that menu says 2015 Vintage earlier in the thread. Just sayin'

8. von_kaiser

von_kaiser Crusader (707) Feb 19, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

confirmed, "EACH" that did had cargo pockets equipped.....it was comical out there to say the least

Capt_Quint likes this.
  9. jbarletto

jbarletto Disciple (319) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts

These beers are great. Had a Scientific Method earlier this week. Volume Three was my favorite of the 4-5 I've been able to try.

10. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (261) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

I cracked a bottle mid August and it was still amazing.

11. dbphoto04

dbphoto04 Initiate (30) Nov 22, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

i said the same thing after the Damon coffee release. We got there at 11 that day and it took 3+hours. I am all set with doing that again.

12. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Savant (991) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Temp was not very accommodating with development, so patience and emissions brought more greatness out the “reformation and refinement”…Finally got to palate Poetica #1

Aroma is herbal and effervescent with characteristics of wood, smoked oaked-astray, creamy-caramel malt, citrus, and a touch of pine/sap

Notes cultivate to floral citrus, and pine essentials with further workings of fruity white wine/grapes, and fields of blossoms, orchards, hay stacks…

Feel is super clean, bright, funky, and moderately crisp given complexity

13. wd09601

wd09601 Initiate (88) Jul 29, 2012 Maryland

Does anyone know if there are any cans available? I'm not seeing anything on the website, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.
    Thanks!

14. MattOC

MattOC Disciple (352) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

http://hillfarmstead.com/retail/

Looks like they still have S&S4 cans and the website is updated as of today.

jhavs likes this.
  15. beer4miles

beer4miles Initiate (74) Nov 6, 2017 Vermont
    Trader

A new Farmstead ale?! :scream::scream:

16. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Savant (991) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Some insight into the mindset/creativity of Vasilios: Wunderkammer Bier

17. kvgomps

kvgomps Defender (621) Feb 10, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

May have missed this but does anyone know if “Limited Quantity Remains” for Damon on the retail page refers to a specific bottle count remaining? I’m guessing this is their way of telling us it won’t last through Wednesday but if it is tied to a number may be informative on whether to expect it having sold out for people arriving at open.

18. MattOC

Trader

I don’t think it ties to specific bottle count, but I would expect it to be low-one level of a pallet, case wise-but that is a complete guess. I’d consider that limited quantity even at 2 per person. I would suspect they don’t give out an exact number to avoid creating even more of a stir. I agree that they are preparing people who won’t be coming until later in the week/weekend.

19. MattOC

Trader

Or we can tag @PhilSaid and see if he could/would provide a specific amount. Please and thanks! Full disclosure: I’m not going either way so the limited amount has zero impact on me. Good luck!

20. ajthegreat

ajthegreat Initiate (155) Nov 11, 2010 Vermont

I think the "Limited Quantity Remains" descriptor indicates that consolation pours will be offered if you miss out on it.

21. beer4miles

beer4miles Initiate (74) Nov 6, 2017 Vermont
    Trader

Double bottling day at Hill... saisons on the line next to the bottle shop, and what looked to be twilight of idols coming off the second line as seen through tasting room windows.

22. wolf13

wolf13 Initiate (144) Dec 11, 2014 California
    Trader

So my buddy was extremely kind, and grabbed me one bottle of Damon when he was out there last week.

Having never had any Damon before, would you all recommend drinking fresh, or cellaring it for some period of time (if so, how long)? Thanks in advance!

23. 7irondave

7irondave Zealot (541) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Crack it this weekend and enjoy!

24. rodmanfor3

rodmanfor3 Champion (873) Aug 11, 2014 Vermont
    Trader

The current batch of Damon is ready to drink now. Unless you have specific plans to save it for a special occasion, there is really no need to have to cellar your bottle.

I had the previous batch of Damon on three separate occasions -at 1 month, 1 year, and 15+ months after the release. The contents of all three bottles tasted stellar. I do not think that the overall Damon experience was heightened by cellaring; none of the pours I had suffered as a result of aging, either.

I think a more important consideration than cellar time is serving temperature. Personally, I found Damon to taste the best at room temperature, as the beer opened up on the nose and on the palate. Serving Damon straight out of the fridge or cellar can mute some of the more enjoyable notes to the beer, (marginally) diminishing the overall experience.

I hope this information helps.

25. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,533) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

#warmdrafts4life

26. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (259) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont

Thank you, but will continue to take Shaun's advice on optimal window for enjoyment. Taste is subjective, but I like to ask the brewer's preference. Hasn't steered me wrong yet. I tend to drink Damon at 1 year, unless advised otherwise. Absolutely agree about serving temp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.