CW 16 on shelves?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by robear, Jun 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robear

robear Initiate (0) May 24, 2014 Wisconsin

Anyone else see these bottles on shelves in bottle shops? $25 seems like a steep price to pay. Didn't think these would see distribution.

2. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin

They didn't those are being sold illegally I believe it was 15$ at the brewery.

3. TheStoutHound

TheStoutHound Devotee (484) Mar 3, 2012 Wisconsin
    Trader

It was still available a few weeks back at the brewery for $15; not sure on today's status.

4. just_in

just_in Initiate (187) Apr 24, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

I've heard of them being sold by a liquor store in the Dells. Where have you seen them?

5. Dactrius

Dactrius Poo-Bah (1,746) Apr 23, 2012 Netherlands Antilles
    Society Trader

Do you mean 16 or 15? Because I can confirm that 15 was sold for $25 from a store in the Dells. The store claimed they got a case accidentally (although from what my friend who didn't have enough money to buy it all up said it was actually 24 bottles, it was all gone by the time I got there a couple hours later) but CW claims that's not possible. Even with all the shenanigans and people leaving with 17 bottles of fifteen I was inclined to believe the store.

I'm guessing this is the same store, which either means CW made the same mistake twice, or this store is selling illegally at a weirdly low markup (for fifteen at least).

6. just_in

Trader

7. TheStoutHound

TheStoutHound Devotee (484) Mar 3, 2012 Wisconsin
    Trader

Liquor Central had CW 16 for $25 a bottle. Highly doubt they got it accidently. Probably got it at the brewery and brought it back with intention of marking it up and selling it to Illinisians.

8. Dactrius

Society Trader

Liquor Central is the store who sold fifteen last year (I did let CW know last year, mainly because I was pissed that I drove as fast as I could after work but someone else cleared the shelf before I got there...dude should've left at least one for the next guy.), so this is two years in a row. This year it's less surprising since it wouldn't have been as hard to buy it up and resell it, but last year means they were one of the many "VIPs" who went through the line multiple times and cheated the system, screwing tons of other people out of getting it.

I really believed the store last year when they told me CW sent them the case since I found it hard to believe that there could've been yet another person abusing the system and getting that many bottles...I'm an idiot

psychotia likes this.
  9. DaveOrlowski

DaveOrlowski Initiate (135) Mar 11, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

Just bought 2 bottles at the brewery on Friday, they seemed to have plenty left in the cooler! Head out there and buy them for 15$ instead of $25.

ThreeTens likes this.
  10. Kbyfield

Kbyfield Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2009 Wisconsin

If you see it illegally (or even suspect so) on a shelf, I'd encourage you to take a photo and email it to the local PD & Town Clerk. This crap burns all of us in the long run.

So for example: ldpd@lakedeltonpd.org

11. Mrpickles

Mrpickles Initiate (0) May 4, 2009 Wisconsin

Just a thought here, but before "calling the cops" and bad mouthing a stor, Did anyone check with brewery and more so Anello himself. CW said they made a pile of 16 and if it is still at the brewery, they may have released it to some stores. NG did the same thing with Golden Ale a few years back.

DaveOrlowski likes this.
  12. Kayn169

Kayn169 Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2011 Illinois

Since there is still a lot at the brewery, if anyone nearby is interested in Chicago area stuff and is willing to pick a couple up, let me know.

Nachos4two and NickyPogs like this.
  13. Kbyfield

Agreed, but assuming the comments above are correct, and the stores are selling things they shouldn't be, I'd love to see the store get taken down.

And if someone jumps the gun and reports a store selling legitimately, worst case scenario is a store owner has to show an invoice to someone from the town.

14. SipIt

SipIt Initiate (183) Jul 18, 2013 Minnesota

A week ago Monday this place still had 16 for sale. Maybe I need to find a new shop to stop at between Milwaukee and Minneapolis to get my NG fix? They always seem to have whatever thumbprint I'm looking for along with some FFF, but their prices are a bit higher.

Any good shops right off of 90/94? - yes I know of the ones in Hudson, but us MN folks clean them out quickly :slight_smile:

15. NickyPogs

NickyPogs Zealot (503) Aug 11, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Similar to this post, if there is a good deal of 16 still available at the brewery, I would love to make some kind of deal with someone local willing to make a trade. Cheers!

Nachos4two likes this.
  16. hansenm72

hansenm72 Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Texas

Pretty sure that shop does brewery runs on their own for a lot of stuff. There is no way that they should have had the FFF and TG stock they had when I was up there in March. With that being said... I don't really want to see them get taken down because the owner is just a huge fan of craft beer and really isn't "gouging"... I think buying the bottles of CW 15 or 16 for an extra $10 to save the trip to Amherst, or a bottle of Rich Life or other FFF offerings they had for a few extra bucks instead of a trip to Munster is worth it. I paid $8.99 for Sue there and thought it was a lil steep but now Three Cellars in Franklin gets it and sells it at the same price. Maybe they got all this stuff legitimately, I doubt it, but if someone is willing to risk the legal ramifications of defying the stupid distributor laws the consumer can /sort of/ win.

17. just_in

Trader

With an 8 bottle limit like CW has, it's an $80 difference, not just $10. For that and the principle of it, I will drive an extra hour to Amherst. Again.

18. Soneast

Soneast Champion (878) May 9, 2008 Wisconsin

I can't speak for all the FFFs stuff and CW16 bottles, but all their TG stock is definitely legit. I've seen the TG truck parked outside many times.

19. Zombie_Dust

Zombie_Dust Initiate (108) Oct 31, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

If any kind person near the brewery wants to trade one of these for any Chicago locals, let me know...would love to try this!

20. NickyPogs

Trader

Back off @Zombie_Dust, there are already two Illinois posters ahead of you, lol. Just kidding :slight_smile: but I'm def in the same boat with you, hoping to find a generous Cheese-head to hook us up. Hell, I've got a bottle of 15 and would gladly meet up with someone holding a 16 to do a bottle share.

21. just_in

Trader

Whoa, you dropped the CH bomb. There is no way you'll find a mule with that kind of language!

22. NickyPogs

Trader

Lol, I actually was just inquiring with a friend of mine who was born in WI and lived there for a good part of his life if the term Cheesehead is frowned upon or taken with great offense. I truly meant it in jest, but now I'm actually pretty curious about how Wisconsinites feel about the term.

23. Kbyfield

Well, overlooking how you bastardized it with a hyphen, it's considered a complement.

jRocco2021 likes this.
  24. just_in

Trader

From wikipedia: Cheesehead is a nickname referring to a person from Wisconsin, referring to the large volume of production of Wisconsin cheese. It is also the nickname for the fans of the Green Bay Packers American Football team of the National Football League. The term is also used as a racial slur towards theDutch.

So, how did you intend to use it?

jRocco2021 likes this.
  25. s_wit

s_wit Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2012 Wisconsin

Agreed.

You must be from the area. It's not like the TG truck (van?) comes that often (wish they would come more).

26. NickyPogs

Trader

Well, I'd never want to offend the Dutch! Nor would I really want to insult a potential beer trading partner :slight_smile: I only utter the phrase with any hint of disgust if I was at a Bear Packer game and we were getting our asses kicked as usual.

jRocco2021 and smurfbeer like this.
  27. Kbyfield

Sweet - my wife is Dutch :grinning:

jRocco2021 and NickyPogs like this.
  28. just_in

Trader

Almost seems like you're kissing ass now. If I were a fan of the Packers, it might work. If I find myself near Amherst, I'll keep you fellas in mind.

Of course, I would require you to publicly bash the Packers as part of the agreement.

29. NickyPogs

Trader

I'm sure that could be arranged. Are not a fan of any football team, or just not the Packers?

30. Kbyfield

Make him do it while wearing a foam Cheesehead & drinking a Minhas Light

31. Hendrick24

Hendrick24 Defender (649) Sep 6, 2013 Wisconsin

There are only two things I hate in this world, people who are intolerant of other people's cultures, and the Dutch.

jRocco2021 and Kbyfield like this.
  32. just_in

Trader

Not a Packer fan, I love football... and beer.

NickyPogs likes this.
  33. just_in

Trader

I thought quoting anything Austin Powers related was banned from this site?

NickyPogs likes this.
  34. Kbyfield

Austin Powers? Isn't that from the Gettysburg Address?

35. Dactrius

Society Trader

I checked with CW last year when 15 was on the shelf and they said they didn't distribute it (and wanted to know what store it was, price, etc) so it's probably a pretty safe assumption that it's the same deal this year unless CW decided to reward them with 16 distribution for breaking the rules and screwing tons of people out of bottles of 15 last year.

36. Zombie_Dust

Trader

It stinks because I am going up to the UP this weekend, but my buddies wont drive 3 hours out of the way to take me to Central Waters :slight_frown: Otherwise, I would gladly bring an extra one back for you!

NickyPogs likes this.
  37. NickyPogs

Trader

Dude, I totally get it! My buddy has a lake house in Eagle River and I've always said we should head to CW, but can never convince everyone that the detour would be well worth it. Have fun up in the UP, gonna do any fishing?

38. Zombie_Dust

Trader

Yep and some Jet Skiing...oh well, I can complain that much if Scream IIPA and Dancing Man are my alternatives :grinning:

39. hey5hitgoose

hey5hitgoose Initiate (193) Feb 28, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

i saw bottles of cw15 on sale at a sendicks in milwaukee the day after i got shut out of the release for 20 bucks a bottle

40. Wiscobrew

Wiscobrew Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2011 Nevada

If you take 94 to 41 to 45 to 10 to 39 to 8 to 17 you get to eagle river and pass CW.

jRocco2021, NickyPogs and jbecke2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.