Dark Horse Monster 29 Release

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Spartan213, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartan213

Spartan213 Aspirant (213) May 28, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

Anyone heading over to Dark Horse release tomorrow?

Per their Facebook:

Here is the Monster 29 scoop: Saturday will be a "sneak peak to the Monster!" It will be on tap at noon in the taproom and run till Saturday night. We will be offering it in snifters and growlers to go! Look for the rest of Monster 29 to be released at a special tapping party that will include BBL aged version at a date soon to be announced!!!

Dark Horse Brewing Co. Monster 29 was born on the 36th Anniversary of the 29 men that perished on the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald on Lake Superior. It is an Imperial Barley-wine made with 13 different malts, 10 different fermented sugar combinations, and other special ingredients. It is complex in flavors reaching 42 degrees plato OG.

2. yepbye2

yepbye2 Initiate (73) Feb 23, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

3. adamdd

adamdd Initiate (0) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Shhhh.
    Planning on stopping on my way tomorrow to watch the Tigers find another unique way to beat themselves. Nothing like a 20% brew to start your day off right.

4. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

Ohhh boy! The come down from a 20% beer while watching Verlander pitch a no no, and still lose the game could be very, very depressing.
    quote="adamdd, post: 263178, member: 597550"]Shhhh.
    Planning on stopping on my way tomorrow to watch the Tigers find another unique way to beat themselves. Nothing like a 20% brew to start your day off right.[/quote]

5. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Meyvn (1,166) May 8, 2006 Michigan

At some point mismanagement and some bad umps here and there is no longer a unique way to lose a game. You need a beer that size to make it through a game these days. Come to think about it, maybe that explains Leylands issues as of late, too much Monster29 would explain batting Rugburn second.

founder26 and Spartan213 like this.
  6. mike409

mike409 Initiate (160) Jan 25, 2012 Michigan

44 buck fill

7. adamdarcy

adamdarcy Aspirant (209) Feb 26, 2008 Michigan

17.5%, but doesn't taste boozy or 'hot' at all! Note that I am a BW neophyte, but this is just so damn smokey, chocolately delicious stuff! Whatever survives past 10pm tonight is slated for BB aging...extra yumminess!!

MarcatGSB likes this.
  8. adamdarcy

adamdarcy Aspirant (209) Feb 26, 2008 Michigan

17.5%, but doesn't taste boozy or 'hot' at all! Note that I am a BW neophyte, but this is just so damn smokey, chocolately delicious stuff! Whatever survives past 10pm tonight is slated for BB aging...extra yumminess!!

Spartan213 likes this.
  9. Spartan213

Trader

We are on our way.

10. surlytheduff

surlytheduff Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2010 Tajikistan

Reminded me a lot of aged Adam. Damn delicious.

11. adamdd

Great beer. A slight sticker shock on the growler price. Very smooth for the high ABV. It's no King Henry, but damn good. I might crack into this if the tigers game ends up poorly. I will do my best to keep it away from Jimmy Smokes, hopefully it will save him from more poor lineup decisions.

12. Spartan213

Trader

Fantastic. BA version of this will be unbelievable.

genuinedisciple likes this.
  13. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2012 Wisconsin

Go Sox.

14. adamdd

Sox are having a good start to the season, not sure it will last though. At least Adam Dunn is over a buck fifty average this year. Luckily you aren't a Cubs fan though.

15. siege06nd

siege06nd Savant (982) Dec 29, 2009 Virginia

If anyone can get a growler fill of this, I would pay handsomely

steebo777 likes this.
  16. raymo55

raymo55 Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2011 Michigan

I had a great BA friend hook me up with a growler of this and I can not wait to try this!

I feel that Dark Horse is quietly becoming the best brewery in Michigan....keep up the good work guys!

jbck109 and MacJenkins like this.
  17. bierenutz

bierenutz Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Michigan

You will not be disappointed. It's delish! Can't wait for the ba version later this year :slight_smile:

adamdd likes this.
  18. founder26

founder26 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2009 Michigan

I don't think they will be, although they have some great beers, I think founders and bells will be tops for a long time.

19. trginter

trginter Aspirant (243) Dec 1, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

I can see DH easily overtaking Bells soon.

20. syu3003

syu3003 Initiate (0) May 4, 2011 Michigan

Dark Horse is definitely the "dark horse" of MI breweries... but having been to a lot of MI breweries I'll sit down and drink with those guys at dark horse anyday! they are easily some of the most down to earth people there and make great beer to boot. cant wait for 4elf!

raymo55 likes this.
  21. trginter

trginter Aspirant (243) Dec 1, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

I'm hoping to go to 4elf for the first time this year. Did you go last year? Any advice?

22. MarcatGSB

4Elf is a great party. Those guys do a great job with it. The tap list was epic, the band was fantastic, the food was amazing, the company was even better! Made quite a few friends that night in Marshall Michigan.

abanton, Spartan213 and raymo55 like this.
  23. JerryM1984

JerryM1984 Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2012 Florida

Is there a ton of people??? I plan on trying to come back home from grad school in KY to Michigan to go to it this year

24. mike409

mike409 Initiate (160) Jan 25, 2012 Michigan

was about 300?? ish last year

25. MarcatGSB

Yah I would agree with the 300 number. But hardly any of those people really stuck around for the PARTY! I mean, we were numbers 30-33 or so in line, drank while waiting for our bottles, then stuck around and drank more after. I was the last person out of the tap room, stumbling into the parking lot, but very few people actually stuck around to enjoy the great music, maybe under 100.

26. 2BDChicago

2BDChicago Aspirant (210) Nov 21, 2010 Illinois

Sox are having a good "start"? Dude, there's only 30 games till the half. Come on Tiger fans, face it, this isn't your year.

27. adamdd

I'll be the first to admit that the Sox are playing good ball. I think that last year was more of an anomaly for the South Siders. Getting Peavy healthy has been a great boost to their rotation, and Dunn has turned it around from that disaster of last year. Sometime soon, the Tigers need to stop making excuses. As you correctly point out, the half is coming quickly, and I guess I need to stop saying that the Indians and Sox are off to good starts and the Tigers are off to a bad one. It is June after all.

28. 2BDChicago

2BDChicago Aspirant (210) Nov 21, 2010 Illinois

So I dont jinx the Sox, a lot can happen in the remaining 130 games.

And on the very positive side of POVs, we arent Cubs fans. Apparrently the Ricketts and their Theo, dont known all there is to know about baseball math.

29. sliverX

sliverX Champion (823) Oct 5, 2007 S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

Is this still available I'd love to be able to get a growler sent my way if anyone's looking for a trade.

libbey likes this.
  30. MacJenkins

MacJenkins Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Michigan

I definitely feel that Dark Horse, Jolly Pumpkin and Greenbush are three vastly underrated breweries and possibly my top 3 favorite in MI.

31. wintbs379

wintbs379 Initiate (173) Mar 13, 2009 Michigan

Standing at the uncrowded bar for 6 minutes with employee after employee walking past before someone finally asked if they could help me....that wasn't very enjoyable.

JohnB87 and adamdd like this.
  32. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2012 Michigan

My one and only experience there so far was pretty similar. Great, great beers. Service...not so much.

adamdd likes this.
  33. adamdd

Go there for the great beers, but keep your expectations for service fairly low. They do seem to be getting better organized there, but there is a definite laid back vibe. I still get the feeling that customers are sometimes bothering the waitstaff just by being there. The beer does help me get over this minor set back though!

34. Steimie

Wife and I had glass of Crooked Tree (me) and a soda (her). They told us the soda was one thing but then it was actually a totally different flavor (although still good). We asked for the check and when it arrived it was like $15. She'd given us someone else's check.

Know what though? I still want to go for 4Elf this year. Sounds like a good time

35. jbck109

jbck109 Aspirant (222) May 30, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

If you need some company to help you with that bad boy give me a holla!

raymo55 likes this.
  36. iceatalamo

iceatalamo Initiate (130) Dec 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

4Elf was horrible and really no one should plan on going :wink:

37. syu3003

syu3003 Initiate (0) May 4, 2011 Michigan

I am increasing my student loans with 4Elf in mind.

38. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,746) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

It's a small place and on crowded nights there is a lot of 'table sharing' that has to be very difficult for the servers to keep track, so until the brewery fixes that (if they ever want to) I see service being something that requires that a customer make their own noise to get attention.

39. Steimie

It was around noon on a Friday when we were there and I'm guessing there were a total of 8 people in the pub. Not that it matters--I suspect they move about the same speed and pay about the same amount of attention when there's 8 people there as they do when there's 108 people there. Part of it's charm, I suppose.

adamdd likes this.
  40. robwestcott

robwestcott Meyvn (1,026) Nov 3, 2008 Indiana

will the BA version be bottled or tap only ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.