Dark Lord Day 2012 Rule Changes

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Lansman, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTrain12

RTrain12 Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2010 Illinois

This does blow. What other brewery sells tix on the internet for a beer release? Where's the love for the locals?

2. JakeT469

JakeT469 Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2012 Colorado

Sean: they sold 700 tix at the pub for XV and the rest online the day after. If they sell 5000 tix for DLD every year i think they can help out the locals and sell at least 1000 at the pub. I dont think thats askin too much. Just my opinion tho.

BBThunderbolt, EricCioe and EseLocoSS like this.
  3. Kayn169

Kayn169 Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2011 Illinois

Positive ideas from XV could be:

-Selling some tickets at the brewery for the locals, prior to web
    -Tent with a table designated for each outside brewery, rather than one for everything.
    -And yes, no big coolers and chairs. Is it comfy? Hell yes, is it disruptive and space consuming? Again hell yes

Remember, you can always bring chairs and coolers to use in line. Then just take then to the car before you go in. Easy.

EricCioe and aasher like this.
  4. phisigben

phisigben Zealot (710) Jan 8, 2009 Kentucky
    Trader

I spoke with Barnaby at the Winter Brewers Guild tasting in Indianapolis, he said the original idea for XV was to let anyone with a ticket in to see the concert or grab a drink but then have a separate area for the line so people could get their Baller Stout. If I remember correctly he said there was a communication error between FFF and whoever was responsible for the ID checking. IMO what they should have done was not fence the area off that snakes around the building but card people as the enter the rear of the brewery and in the front over near the tents.

5. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2010 Ohio

stupid question but do you have to have a paypal acct to buy tickets for this online?

6. robwestcott

robwestcott Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2008 Indiana

no paypal. just credit card.

7. aasher

aasher Grand Pooh-Bah (4,471) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah

The anniversary party went well. Why do people who didn't attend the event get to say that it wasn't run well if they didn't go? We got there early, shared beer with cool people, and waited for the gates to open. People didnt plan well enough.

robwestcott likes this.
  8. phisigben

Trader

I got there at noon and wasn't in the gate till 4:30-5, half way through all I wanted to do was just go inside get some food, use a bathroom, and grab a beer. But because of the line situation you couldn't just get in and have some beers without waiting in line for Baller.

9. aasher

aasher Grand Pooh-Bah (4,471) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah

Well the lack of time slots didn't help. A lot of people go there early to guarantee that they got bottles they wanted. This made it tougher for the later crowd.

10. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 California

The Bruery for BT release party and BT bottles.

As long as they make it that the person buying bottles has to attend/pick up the bottles then this still benefits locals as it is easier for them to get there.

With that said, I don't see why they cannot do both. Sell 75% of tickets online and 25% at the pub.

11. phisigben

Trader

See that's the thing I wanted to experience the party I didn't care if I guaranteed myself one of the "special" releases. I was under the impression that the event was a party that also had a beer release along with it, not like DLD.

12. AlexHouston

AlexHouston Crusader (414) May 19, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

I'd be curious to see how this would work as a silent release. Tell people that it'll be sometime in April and let the inevitable tsunami transpire. And better yet, to edeter the price gouging by the Craigslist, Ebay crowd, jack up the price to 40 per bottle.

It would never happen, but as a social experiment, it'd be great to see.

13. awdturboiv

awdturboiv Initiate (0) May 24, 2008 Indiana

Anyone who frequents the brew pub knows the bartenders and wait staff know absolutely nothing about beer releases, events, or anything else brewery side related. I hope this happens again.

KingBiscuit and hansgruber like this.
  14. Kayn169

Kayn169 Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2011 Illinois

If you think about it, people who got there early enough to have no problems, also waited in line for hours, for the gates to open. I don't think it is reasonable at an even like this, to expect to just get right in. Small place+lots of people= waiting.

15. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2011 Illinois

I was at DLD'11 and XV as well.

I would say that the EVENT of the XV was WAY better than DLD. Not even close.
    (YES the guest taps had a better selection at DLD. But you also had like a 2 hour wait to GET to them at one point.)
    But there was a big problem...
    They had a MASSIVE screwup in the line.
    Totally bizarre.
    This was the cause of almost ALL of the real complaints about XV.
    Basically, if you were there in the early part of the line, when they opened the gates, you had your beer within 15 minutes.
    We walked right through to the tents afterward and were the first people in.
    We grabbed a table, set up shop, opened bottles, went and bought beer and food, and had an incredible time.

But one of our good friends got there 15 minutes before the gates opened, and didn't want to be a douche and cut into line at our spot (I was like the 22nd person in line)
    even though all of the groups immediately behind us were letting 4-8 friends jump in line with them.

He wasn't anywhere NEAR as far down the road, at the end of the line, as we were at DLD.
    We were past the hospital at DLD, and we were there at least 2 hours before it opened.
    And yet, once the line started moving at DLD, we had our beer by like 1:00.
    They moved far more people through the gates, and through the purchase line at DLD, in far less time.

It was totally messed up at XV.

Like the other poster said, our friend wasn't INSIDE THE GATES, let alone buying his beer, until 4:30.

That can't be okay. That's not normal.
    We thought they must have had some sort of problem, and were holding everyone from buying their beer or something...
    there is simply no way it takes say... 400 people 4 hours to buy beer from like 6-8 cashiers.
    Something SERIOUSLY wacky has to take place to make that happen.

THIS made the event LEGITIMATELY AWFUL for some people.

YES, some of us waited 5 hours in line BEFORE noon.
    But we had a party and a shitload of the best beer in creation.

The folks showing up at noon probably all expected a 45-90 minute line to buy their beer.
    And they had no party... the back of the line is not where the hard core beer nut jobs are.
    It's where the folks who want to hit and run are.

The wait wasn't anything resembling "you should expect this... XXX people, small place." It was WACKY. It was the kind of wait you'd expect if everyone was getting to the cashiers and THEN saying "okay, so where is the ATM" and holding their place in line while they used the dialup modem to get cash etc. Do not for one second think that it was a normal wait.

There is no way it should have taken that long, and there is no way that FFF could possibly be okay with it having taken that long, when DLD was a fraction of that wait.

So don't expect "whatever happened" to be a thing they decide to keep from XV.

I absolutely do think they should sell 500-ish tickets at the pub on a Sunday morning.
    I do think they should help hook up the locals, because we are the repeat customer nut jobs, who eat at the pub and take care of our servers and bartenders.
    We're the idiots who buy shirts and swag and mail them to friends all over the globe.

And we're going to buy tickets one way or the other.
    I don't feel bad about the idea of someone non-local having to hit stub hub... we have local friends who had to.
    It'd be nice to have an IN with that... it's not like the online ticket sales haven't been mega-problematic.

Re: coolers and chairs... if you're going to be there at 6 AM, bring a cooler and a chair, IMO.
    Just make a run to your car before they open the doors.
    They had the "no coolers or chairs" rule at XV, and they didn't seem to have any problem with them in the line.

I totally agree that it sucked how much space people took up with their gypsy camps at DLD.
    One drunk person sitting in a ring of way more shit than the folks needed, while the others did whatever...
    it was definitely a nightmare getting around at DLD. XV was far easier.

There's my too much information and too many words for ya.

Ssstraub and phisigben like this.
  16. phisigben

Trader

Again they waited for beer, I knew I was going to be waiting (1-2 hrs), but 4-5 hrs is a little extreme when all I really wanted to do was see the bands and drink from taps. DLD had 6000 tickets to get the beer I waited 2 hrs, but you didn't wait in line 4 hrs just to try some of the beers on tap or get something to eat (Unless it was in the brewpub).

DLD 6000 people 2 hr wait
    XV 2500 people 4-5 hr wait

So was it unreasonable to think I could get in, eat food and try tap beer in under 4-5 hrs based on previous experience, No.

17. sacullen

sacullen Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2008 Illinois

Not everyone can plan to get there early. People who couldn't get there early enough due to other responsibilities had to wait in line an extraordinarily long time. Once they had their bottles, food was gone and so were many draft beers. I'll readily admit you can't please everyone at an event like this or DLD and for an example, simply look at my post above regarding coolers and chairs. I thought they created needless traffic jams, someone else didn't have any problems. YMMV.

I also agree that when you get to events like these early, you have a better time. However, this just simply is not a realistic expectation for all. It's also not appropriate to treat everyone like they didn't plan well when other events take precedence. My brother-in-law has his graduation for Michigan on DLD. Guess where I'll be? His graduation. Beer is not my life and I refuse to let it take precedence over everything else. And this is coming from someone who is under-employed. I have plenty of time, yet still have more important things to do.

18. warbird07

warbird07 Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2009 Michigan

Ooops, I think that was me, sorry...we had a ring of coolers the size of a Pacific atoll(not really)..I could do without the coolers as long as trips back and forth to the cars are still allowed...

19. phisigben

Trader

Ok when you read my previous posts you might infer that I am still upset, in fact I'm not. Could have things been ran better, yes. Will I still go to DLD '12, yes. Will I try to go to any event in the future that FFF puts on, yes. I'm just stating my experience/expectation I had based on previous events that FFF held in the hope that with more experience things will be ran more smoothly in the future. I will love FFF till the day I die.

20. Walden97

Walden97 Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2011 Texas

Yikes, reading this thread makes me hesitant to fly up there for this!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.