Dark Lord Day 2013 (new site/info)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Cenosillicaphobe, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Meyvn (1,305) Jan 14, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

To switch this up a bit, what are folks thinking about bringing to share in lines? Again, this is my first rodeo, so I'm just crowd sourcing. I'm taking my buddy who lives downtown Chicago, so I told him that I think a few Pipeworks brews would go over well. Do people tend to focus on stouts or are there already enough heavy beers available? I've got a Cigar City Guava Grove via trade. I also do a quarterly trade with a buddy in California, so I've got some Russian River belgians, a Ninkasi Tricerahops, and some other random beers from out west. Basically, should I mix it up or just go with Speedway Stout and Black Xantus? Also, what's the allowed amount to share like 2 bombers?

2. Reneejane

Reneejane Devotee (440) Jan 15, 2004 Illinois

The bus sounds good, but I can't get in on that, my train out of Chicago leaves at 7-something.

To get to Reggies, I think teh best way is to take the red line to Cermak, that's a TOTALLY safe red line stop, one I've done many times, it's the Chinatown stop. I think Chicago gets a bad rap for being dangerous! The news makes it look like everybody's getting shot, like it's Syria, or some shit like that; it's not. Chinatown is a touristy area.

I'm definitely considering the Reggie's Bus. I can take the red line to the loop, tfr to the brown/green lines and then loop around and walk from Washington/Wells to Ogilvie. I'm constrained on my outbound UP-N lines, 5:45, 7:35, or 9:45PM, and I have a babysitter for my kid, so I do have to get back at a reasonable time. 9:35 is WAY too late, getting home at 10:50.

Part of me is seriously also considering just driving. If I do public transport, I'd do it all teh way

3. Reneejane

good question PHBOILER. If one were to homebrew for beershare, what styles woudl people want?

4. nickMB

nickMB Disciple (310) Nov 17, 2009 Illinois

real beer fans try all. Give me a homebrewed kolsch any day. There's more to life then DIPA's & Stouts.

tinypyramids likes this.
  5. sbxx

sbxx Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2011 Illinois

You know you're over-thinking it when......

Reneejane likes this.
  6. ridglens

ridglens Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2010 Indiana

It probably depends on whether you plan on spending your time "in" the party, next to the guest taps, no coolers, etc (meaning a few bottles you can fit inside a backpack it probably what you'll shoot for).... or outside in the "line" area with lawnchairs and coolers and the like (in which case you can bring whatever you can transport from your car).

Our group usually chills outside, and we all bring a lot of beer as we don't hit up the guest lists that much. Between the tasting the night before and the day-of, i think i brought close to 2 cases of bottles (but was bringing guests and wife to tastings, so wanted to cover them a little), and i'm not sure we drank them all. We usually bring a lot of tougher beers, so lots of stouts, sours, barleywines, etc, but mostly just what we like/want to share/finally landed, not anything specific by design.

I guess that's not a great answer but i think a good rule of thumb is be flexible and if you plan on sharing others' beers, it's always good form to bring some to share yourself! I've seen everything from a sam adams sampler to people pouring Wooden Hell from a brown-paper wrapped bottle (and there's always the irony-guy drinking a PBR or something).

7. gklover1

gklover1 Initiate (101) Oct 18, 2009 Colorado
    Beer Trader

My understanding is that the purchaser's name will be printed on both tickets (if they bought two, which is your case). So the person will have to be present with you as you all walk in, since they will verify his ID for BOTH tickets.

WARNING BROTHERS (EDIT: AND SISTERS): Be very careful of SENDING beer (or $ for that matter) on a promise of entry. Everyone is talking about how crazy this thing is. Good luck finding your person if they just send you their extra ticket. Even if it is a fair trade ($35 of beer), they get guaranteed beer, but that does not guarantee you entry if you can't find them at the event. EDIT: They got reimbursed for their ticket, so now have no motivation to look for you. :angry:

Hope that's helpful.

woodchopper and ravot like this.
  8. JulianC

JulianC Aspirant (203) Mar 9, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Yeah, since you're both supposedly going to meet to get in, no need to send anything ahead of time. IP trade at the gate. Still risky, but then if your host is a no show, you can at least share your bottle(s) outside and get some nice pours in return worst case.

9. Lansman

Lansman Aspirant (236) Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Beer Trader

To follow up on ridglens comments, DLD has become a tale of two types of DLD party-goers now that coolers and chairs have been banned from being brought inside the gates:

1. These individuals (I consider myself a part of this group) have waited in so many lines for beer at a myriad of festivals, that they have decided that enjoying oneself and having a relaxing time trumps the crowded nature of getting a pour or bottle of whatever special tap or brew is released inside the gates/taproom. These individuals enjoy meeting new people and opening up beers that frequently pop up on the ISO/FT forum because they actually acquired the 'rare' beers to enjoy(!) and share(!) with others who appreciate the bottle as much as they do. These individuals feel that DLD is a great opportunity to finally open a myriad of beers that otherwise would be difficult drinking down in a single setting with a smaller group of people. You will find this group (including my group with a big white enclosed tent, tasting table, and grill) calmly enjoying themselves and sharing beer outside the gates. These individuals will only be seen inside the gates to use the bathroom, get their allocation, maybe grab some food, or to grab a guest tap or two throughout the day.

2. The other group is made up of those who enjoy the event inside the gates and these individuals run the gamut from being there for the music, to getting whatever rare beer is tapped/for sale inside, to getting in line for the taproom, to being fortunate enough to grab a table to have a nice tasting, to it being their first DLD and not knowing exactly what to expect. There is also a darker element that was present in year's past who will slip in and out of the crowd stealing bottles. If you see one of these people engaged in this act beat the shit out of him calmly ask the individual to replace the stolen goods and notify a police officer. The environment inside is a lot more hectic, and there are a lot of people crammed into a small space. Lines are long, and getting through the crowd can be a challenge throughout the day.

Things being shared to taste will run the gamut of Voodoo Doughnut monstrosities (while brought as a joke, guilty as charged last year) to 3L bottles of Supplication to the occasional white whale here and there. Bring whatever you feel comfortable with sharing (either inside or outside the gates), a tasting glass (or two, you will be jostled throughout the day and may drop your glass), and a friendly disposition, and you'll enjoy DLD like the vast majority of the attendees will.

10. Synergy87

Synergy87 Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2012 Wisconsin

Well said Lansman. I was definitely #2 last year. Though if you have the patience to wait in line for the brewpub you can do alot of bottlesharing and meet new people while you wait since the line will sometimes go a full hour without movement. Also, once you get into the brewpub you realize the wait is well worth it. You may experience interesting things while waiting in line as well, such as Nick Floyd jumping in line to say hi and then magically disappear haha.

BRZvice likes this.
  11. Reneejane

1. These individuals (I consider myself a part of this group) have waited in so many lines for beer at a myriad of festivals, that they have decided that enjoying oneself and having a relaxing time trumps the crowded nature of getting a pour or bottle of whatever special tap or brew is released inside the gates/taproom. These individuals enjoy meeting new people and opening up beers that frequently pop up on the ISO/FT forum because they actually acquired the 'rare' beers to enjoy(!) and share(!) with others who appreciate the bottle as much as they do.

Lansman, sounds like your group is a lot of fun :)

12. Reneejane

Kolsh, eh? hmmm. :)

13. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

there's also what i was two years ago:

#3: hang out in line just to get bottles and bail after getting said bottles. have super nice people around us give taster pours from random growlers even though we had nothing to share.

c64person likes this.
  14. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2011 Maine

Yeah...I was more or less there for bottles last year...so I only brought shelf beers from Maine...yet people were extraordinarily generous in sharing...so I'll be bringing my A game this year...should I be fortunate enough to score a ticket...probably even if I don't lol.

15. Pecan

Pecan Devotee (421) Dec 20, 2012 Arizona
    Beer Trader

So I actually presented my cellar to the DLD ticket pool group I run and have a running list of what I'll be bringing based on requests:

1. Utopias 2012
    2. LA Framboise de' Amarosa 2010
    3. FFF/Brewdog Bitch Please
    4. Alesmith BA Kopi Luwak SS
    5. -Maybe- Bruery Chocolate Rain (depending on allocations for RS this year)

The allowed amount is really what you think you can put into a backpack. I think I could probably stuff all this in there, but I know that a friend of mine has nothing worth bringing, so I've basically claimed his backpack space as my own.

Mjmoser likes this.
  16. Lansman

Lansman Aspirant (236) Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Come say hello - you can't miss us across the street. We'll have a big white enclosed tent set up with a tasting table away from the fray.

mbockstruck30, SAEmick and ravot like this.
  17. Corbet

Corbet Initiate (164) Nov 7, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Track me down and I'll give you all a pour of Chocolate Rain.

ADTaber, gpawned and Pecan like this.
  18. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

Hope you're bringing a lot of bottles... :grimacing:

Gonzoillini, aasher, raymo55 and 2 others like this.
  19. Reneejane

will Do Lansman! I'll go through my cellar and see if I have any commercial brews worth it. My hubs wants us to brew another beer to bring. We'll be bringing an amber Ale and he wants to brew a Rye IPA.

20. GBallHead

GBallHead Aspirant (244) Oct 6, 2011 Indiana
    Beer Trader

beyond excited, will be bringing a few of the past years of darklord and some bourbon county coffee stout for the wait in line

21. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Aspirant (222) Mar 22, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

So this is my first DLD. My girlfriend and I got tickets for group C. I guess I'm just wondering what to expect. I've read a lot about people sharing bottles. Aside from an abundance of BCBS, I really don't have a lot of rare or exciting beer to bring and sample/trade. I keep reading beer snobs being snobs about craft beer and it's pretty annoying. I'm really excited just about the whole opportunity even the beer isn't everything I imagined.

But yeah, thanks for any tips or info in advance.

a_beckman25 likes this.
  22. pointyskull

pointyskull Disciple (309) Mar 17, 2010 Illinois
    Subscriber

Still sad I came up ticket-less this year, but I will toast with something out of my DL stash to this year's intrepid DarkLordians on the day.

Envious, I am....

23. beachstrength49

beachstrength49 Initiate (159) Jan 7, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

ISO: Big white tent on DLD to hang out in , FT: West Coast beers :grinning:

Lansman likes this.
  24. Cenosillicaphobe

Even if I don't get a ticket...I may have to bring some goodies to the tent...it would be very cool to meet some fellow BAs.

25. jeffdill

jeffdill Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2012 Washington

A key piece of advice for all the newbies...it was implied but not really said: BRING A TASTING GLASS.

26. Reneejane

oh, good, I need all the tips I can get, a tasting glass, OK!

27. Jagen

Jagen Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2012 Illinois

Unless you really have a thing against plastic, I would recommend getting a bunch of small plastic cups. Don't have to worry about washing your glass out

28. Reneejane

I don't have athing really against plastic, but given what i read about port-o-lets, which let me tell you, as a woman, I'm nervous about that detail, are there plenty of garbage cans? I have some small glasses I've acquired over the years, and plenty of coffee cups. OR, I could be totally awesome and bring my Dark Horse cups!
    I reuse a cup when I go to renfair, and it's no problem to rinse with water and then drink the water it forces you to drink.

29. founder26

founder26 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2009 Michigan

So without a ticket does that mean you can only not get into the brewery?

30. Jagen

Jagen Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2012 Illinois

You can't go. You need a ticket to get into anything related to DLD.

31. Cenosillicaphobe

The entire brewery property is fenced in and only accessible to ticket holders...but there is plenty of party outside that fence.

32. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Initiate (177) Mar 29, 2010 Indiana

dang i need to hit you up. need to try that utopias at least once in my life.

33. Cenosillicaphobe

I have a bottle taunting the shit out of me weekly...no can afford.

34. Synergy87

Same here

35. Synergy87

Any priority shippers get their tickets in the mail yet?

36. Pecan

Pecan Devotee (421) Dec 20, 2012 Arizona
    Beer Trader

I'll be around! Not sure how to tell you to find me though, but if you send me a BM I'll try to hook you up.

37. Cenosillicaphobe

I need to try that..even if .5oz pour...DGAF...eyedrop that shit onto my epiglotis.

ADTaber likes this.
  38. Synergy87

You the man pecan. Send me a BM with WI beers you want me to bring.

39. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Disciple (307) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

You won't get them for a approx two weeks before the event typically. So don't fret yet.

40. a_beckman25

a_beckman25 Disciple (341) Jan 27, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

If you get the chance to buy BA Dark Lord on ur scratch off, does it tell u what kind u have to buy or do you get to choose?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.