Dark Lord Day 2013 (new site/info)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Cenosillicaphobe, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobCobb

BobCobb Jul 10, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

The latter.

2. boilermakerryan

boilermakerryan Nov 8, 2011 Indiana
    Beer Trader

You get to choose...

3. smartassboiler

smartassboiler Apr 9, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

You know whom I'd love to see them book as a musical guest, who also kinda fits into their preferred styles of metal?

THE SWORD!

sbxx, Irishace9, gpawned and 2 others like this.
  4. sidetracked

sidetracked Nov 9, 2009 Illinois

Just bring what you enjoy or have purchased and don't mind sharing. If someone feels the need to snub you because of what you brought they probably don't deserve your generosity to begin with. Also keep in mind that people will be coming from all over the country, so your everyday local beer may be exciting to someone else. I've found that people in line with you, when offered some beer are almost always appreciative and friendly.

cfh64, SaulTBauls and ADTaber like this.
  5. Jagen

Jagen Oct 1, 2012 Illinois

really? When we got up there last year they just handed up a bourbon DL

6. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Jul 24, 2011 Maine

Were you in the late group? They may have ran out of the others?

7. kodt

kodt Mar 6, 2013 Illinois

They must have ran out of everything else then. I was in Group A and had 3 choices.

8. boilermakerryan

boilermakerryan Nov 8, 2011 Indiana
    Beer Trader

If you were in Group C the only ones they had left were Cognac, Muerte, and BBA. My buddies were at the front of Group C and those were the options. I was in Group A and had my pick of the variants. Contrary to what other have mentioned being in a earlier Group gets you a better chance at the variant that you want (disclaimer: I am not saying there are more winning in earlier groups as all three of my friends had winning scratch offs in Group C). They did not seem to be pulling more boxes of the variants as each group went thru as has been previously stated.

bauermj likes this.
  9. raymo55

raymo55 Oct 3, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I had group C and the Bourbon barrel and Muerte were my only options.....Vanilla and Cognac were gone.

10. Cenosillicaphobe

I was in Group B...and had access to everything...yet I chose muerte...which will be opened on DLD this year...hope I and others I share it with dig it...but it sounds like I probably should have just gone with the bourbon vanilla...which I would have done if my girlfriend hadn't already gotten one...this year...if we get to go...and we win the BA opportunity...we'll both be going with the bourbon vanilla...if that's an option...would love to hook a friend in Arizona up in exchange for some goodies I don't have access to.

11. Theredflame2

Theredflame2 Jul 30, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I was in group C last year and I had all 4 options. I grabbed a bottle of bourbon vanilla.

12. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Mar 22, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Excellent. Thanks for the reply! Any suggestions as to what time to show up? Are there lines for each group? We're thinking about showing up 3 or 4 hours ahead of time just to hang out but I dont want to burn her out on the whole experience.

13. sidetracked

sidetracked Nov 9, 2009 Illinois

The past two years it has been one line that morphs from group to group. Each year I've been, the line dynamic has been slightly different though. I'd definitely suggest planning on allowing some time to just hang around, listen to music or get guest drafts. There are great people watching opportunities as well, especially later in the day.

14. oN3xM

oN3xM Mar 22, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

And remember! Watch how much you drink. You don't want to end up like this guy.

[​IMG]
    2011 DLD.

MrMcGibblets and ADTaber like this.
  15. ADTaber

ADTaber Apr 29, 2011 South Carolina
    Subscriber Beer Trader

[​IMG]

Lesson #2
    Dont be this guy either - hold your bottle carrier from the bottom (also 2011 DLD)

MrMcGibblets and qwertyiop like this.
  16. eyeenjoybeer

eyeenjoybeer Feb 18, 2011 Seychelles

Is this lovely gent drinking the beer from the ground? Was it a BA variant?

ADTaber likes this.
  17. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 May 6, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

first off, wasn't his beer. Second off, it's BA Vanilla.

Gonzoillini and ADTaber like this.
  18. ADTaber

Subscriber Beer Trader

That's exactly what he's doing, IIRC it was a BA variant and actually wasn't even his

19. eyeenjoybeer

eyeenjoybeer Feb 18, 2011 Seychelles

A little sun-aged asphalt sealant should balance the sweetness rather nicely....

MrMcGibblets likes this.
  20. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 May 6, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

"with hints of concrete and blood that rounds out the finish quite nicely"

21. JakeT469

JakeT469 Jan 13, 2012 Colorado

IDK any of the ppl in the pics but its a fuckin beer event, and prolly considered one of the biggest in the country. People are gonna puke, piss in the grass (and pretty much anywhere for that matter) and get stupid. I personally think its fuckin hilarious. Deal with it or don't go.

MSEGUIN likes this.
  22. ADTaber

Subscriber Beer Trader

And don't forget the shards of glass

23. Pecan

Pecan Dec 20, 2012 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Dealing with it and being that person are totally different. I remember seeing a person puking their face off in 2011 at something like 2pm. It's going to happen, but you don't want to be the person that misses out on 8 hours of arguably the best beer festival in the country because they couldn't pace themselves.

24. ReTag

ReTag Apr 5, 2012 Minnesota

or this guys....
    [​IMG]

MC6, ridglens, dvelcich and 3 others like this.
  25. EdwardFortyHands

EdwardFortyHands May 3, 2012 Iowa

Shards o' glass brand popsicles!

ADTaber likes this.
  26. JakeT469

Trust me, I try to "pace" myself every year. A lot easier said than done. There is beer being poured EVERYWHERE from the second u step foot in the industrial park. I think last year I "paced" myself from 530am till about 7pm and this was after I was up till 1am the night before taking part in the bottle share at the Marriott. I def wasn't that guy but I was fucked up beyond belief and had a great time! I don't care if someone is "that guy" or not, go have fun and drink a shit load of good beer!

MC6, ridglens, Pecan and 1 other person like this.
  27. Dactrius

Dactrius Apr 23, 2012 Wisconsin
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Don't forget to bring a coffee filter so you can filter out the glass, asphalt, etc. out of whatever variant someone drops on the ground. I was hanging out with someone who had a BB Vanilla bite the dust last year (the side of the FFF box he had split open and it fell out). Bring bags/backpacks and put your bottles in them, don't trust their bottle carriers or even their boxes.

28. Pecan

Pecan Dec 20, 2012 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Not taking a jab at your ability to pace. You weren't that guy and had a good time. I'm not saying don't drink, I'm not saying don't get drunk, and I'm certainly not saying I will actually care if someone else decides to be that guy. I'm just trying to give some pre-DLD advice: You will have a significantly worse time if you are that guy. I will have a good time whether someone decides to be that guy or not.

JakeT469 likes this.
  29. sbxx

sbxx Mar 21, 2011 Illinois

Idiots who drop their bottles, puke and piss everywhere should be banned. It's a shame that real BAs are gonna miss out while these miscreants show up and act like fools.

founder26, randjuke and SaulTBauls like this.
  30. Cenosillicaphobe

I drank all day and barely entered buzz territory...y'all should leave this whole Dark Lord Day business to the professionals.

31. aasher

aasher Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Drink your rinse water!

32. myersk27

myersk27 Oct 21, 2011 Indiana
    Beer Trader

i'm bringing some of those cloth re-usable grocery bags to ensure something like this doesn't happen...

Reneejane and BRZvice like this.
  33. Jagen

Jagen Oct 1, 2012 Illinois

It's all about just knowing your limits. I was absolutely drunk and was so sleep deprived last year I was almost falling asleep standing up. Did I puke all over the place? Hell no. Just know when you're past the point where you should be chugging that BCS

JakeT469, oN3xM and sbxx like this.
  34. JakeT469

I was completely sleep deprived last year and that was my eventual downfall later in the evening/afternoon. I think I might puss out a little on Fri night this year and go for a solid 15+hrs of drinking on Saturday.

BRZvice likes this.
  35. stxSS07

stxSS07 Nov 23, 2010 Illinois

We closed the share down last year...ended up with the guitarist from eyehategod, the FFF merch guy, and my two buddies and I drinking Rich Life at ass-thirty AM. Ended up in line at 10:30ish and met some great dudes from Indy (I think).

Not sure we'll go as deep into the night this year...that was a rough wake-up.

BRZvice, MarkIntihar, Pecan and 2 others like this.
  36. JakeT469

No shit?!! That's awesome! If I knew those kats were comin out I might have just said "fuck it" and pulled an all nighter. I must have just missed them cuz I was there late as fuck. Good times!

37. Jaycase

Jaycase Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Loved the movie

38. stxSS07

stxSS07 Nov 23, 2010 Illinois

Just realized you were talking about the Marriot. We were at the Hampton where DA BIG BOIIIS PLAY.

Staying at the Fairfield Saturday night though...hoping to have enough stamina left to open some bottles. I think we got through 4-5 post-DLD last year.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  39. hannydawg

hannydawg Apr 4, 2010 Illinois

A BA Vanilla died in my cellar recently too. Sad, sad day.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  40. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe