Dark Lord Day: 2014 Questions

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by regularjohn, Oct 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luweezy

Luweezy (0) Jun 10, 2013 Pennsylvania

so a bourbon aged but not the vanilla... the vanilla is the best of them then ?

2. Dicers

Dicers (1,250) Sep 2, 2012 California
    Fest Crew Society Trader

Can't tell if your serious....

everyone gets an allotment of Dark Lord....Additionally you get a scratcher if you win you get to purchase 1 bottle of any Barrel Aged variant of Dark Lord still available for $50 BA Vanilla is normally the fastest moving specialty so if you're not in group A or maybe B they will be gone

CraftBeerBrotha and gkoz like this.
  3. mdomask

mdomask (0) May 27, 2012 Illinois

They're selling guest slots.

4. Phobicsquirrel

Phobicsquirrel (0) Oct 1, 2013 Oregon

Yup. So it goes like this...

You get a ticket
    Lucky to get A or B
    Lucky to get a good scratch off ticket
    Hopefully you get in early enough to get vanilla

It's a real crapshoot

Tony412 likes this.
  5. homebrew311

homebrew311 (0) May 19, 2008 Illinois
    Society Trader

My understanding is they save an allotment of each of the variants for each group. Maybe this isn't accurate, feel free to chime in if someone knows better.

6. birchholz

birchholz (0) Jul 21, 2010 Illinois

I haven't had every single variant, but Vanilla is not my favorite. I actually like the Cognac (2012) the best of those I've tried.

That being said, Vanilla will probably go most quickly unless there is some new ultra-rare super-hyped version this year.

7. Dicers

Dicers (1,250) Sep 2, 2012 California
    Fest Crew Society Trader

Most of these variants are also available for pours right?

8. Ericl2

Ericl2 (0) Apr 25, 2013 Indiana
    Trader

If you're lucky enough to be in the right draft line at the right time. They're tapped at random times all day...and they go fast.

9. Pidzik12

Pidzik12 (0) Apr 10, 2013 Illinois

Come say hey dark Lord day. I'll be pouring. Look for a university of Alabama hat. I had tent 4 last year. Who ever is going, come say hello.

Zaphog, Pecan and HopFace like this.
  10. a_beckman25

a_beckman25 (0) Jan 27, 2013 Michigan

Nope. If u win on ur ticket, u get to choose the variant u want. So when groups A and B are mostly choosing vanilla, they sell out quick with only 700 or so bottled. Most feel vanilla is best, but that doesn't mean the others aren't great beers as well.

pointyskull likes this.
  11. Tony412

Tony412 (0) Jan 26, 2012 Michigan

This is not accurate. First come, first served basis for all BADL's. As others have said, anything with Vanilla Bean's will go first and might last into the beginning of group B. The rest of the ticket holders last year got to choose between Port, Moscatel and Muerte.

hey5hitgoose likes this.
  12. homebrew311

homebrew311 (0) May 19, 2008 Illinois
    Society Trader

Guess I was wrong. Coulda sworn the first year of variants were handled this way. Here's to hoping for a decent variant in group c!

13. kif

kif (0) Jan 4, 2012 Illinois

Entered Queue at 11:50. Got through around 12:02 and was able to buy 2 group A tickets. I didnt pre-register with Crowdsource and it wouldnt let me make an account. I put in all my info, but the register button did nothing. Loaded another page and registered, came back and was able to sign in and complete my sale.

Got back in line trying to help a friend who was looking for tickets also. Got through again almost immediately afer entering the queue and was able to add 2 group A to my cart again. When I put in his login information, it booted me back to the queue though, so never was able to get the 2nd pair. I figure maybe because it still had me logged in with my real account or something, not sure.

14. Luweezy

Luweezy (0) Jun 10, 2013 Pennsylvania

no i was being serious. i didnt know they are like better dark lords. Shit so pretty much if i happen to win a scratch off im still not getting the chance for the best one realistically

15. HopFace

HopFace (0) Feb 29, 2012 Colorado

Who knows if they changed things up this year.

Last year was really well done in my opinion. Great bands, TONS of shitters (that were cleaned out throughout the day), a ridiculous tap list, and good food. That being said - It's a fucking money pit. EVERYTHING is expensive as hell. Expect to pay $9-10 for Dark Lord/ BA anything FFF. Had SoBro, BA Ice Grille, DL, and a bunch more good beer in line/under the tent. If you are going, bring a roll of cash.

Tony412 and injuredreserve like this.
  16. Jaycase

Jaycase (1,102) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

This is the last thing in the world to sweat. If you happen to get a golden ticket winner and want to shell out the $, be happy with what is left. Just go and try to have a good time.

Prager62 likes this.
  17. funhog

funhog (380) Mar 8, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Now EVERYBODY know!

18. HopFace

HopFace (0) Feb 29, 2012 Colorado

I think my best memory of last year was a dude who was completely wasted in the B line behind me who didn't win on the scratch off and flipped out at the staff.

"Fuck this shit! Only get 3 fucking bottles this year, fuck! Didn't fucking win a BA beer. This place fucking sucks!"
    "sir, do you want your bottles or not?"
    "yea...fuck it"

IPAFan521 and Tony412 like this.
  19. DooshBagalow

DooshBagalow (0) Dec 1, 2012 Illinois

Solid group we have going. Between the guy MIA on Saturday and me, we got two pairs in C.

20. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan (0) Dec 25, 2009 Minnesota
    Trader

Your wife, that is how you survived.

injuredreserve likes this.
  21. injuredreserve

injuredreserve (0) Apr 18, 2010 Louisiana

Very true...

22. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday (0) Apr 23, 2010 Illinois

The important thing to remember is that everything could possibly be different this year. It would be great to see them allocate a certain amount of each variant for each ticket group. I don't necessarily expect it as they have never done that to my knowledge, but it would be great.

As for tappings no knows for sure how it will go. Who knows how much of their stock they poured last year. Yes they had a lot of amazing variants tap throughout the day, but in previous years you had to get into the brewpub and they never tapped nearly as many variants.

Take all the info here with a grain of salt as its based on previous DLDs, which have been changing from year to year.

JakeT469, Drucifer, Tony412 and 3 others like this.
  23. awdturboiv

awdturboiv (0) May 24, 2008 Indiana

It would be, but that sounds like entirely way too much work. Between the investor VIP tickets, where almost everyone is guaranteed a BADL and the group A locals, I don't think any BVDL lasts through group B...heavily dependent on the weather of course.

On a related note...here is hoping for pub sales this weekend as I bought my tickets today in my FL guy's name. If my math is correct, that is min 3x good beer karma points

chanokokoro likes this.
  24. chanokokoro

chanokokoro (0) Jan 31, 2012 Illinois

Nice to know that people could get in twice when I entered the queue at 11:52 and never got in once...Sigh...I've never been able to get them online...always have had to go to the brewpub or have gotten them through others. Looks like I'm making the rocket run to the brewpub again this year. I'm really hopeful they'll allow those us buying in person to purchase a pair like they did the first year. I know that it's meant to allow locals the opportunity to purchase tickets, however, locals are also looking for a +1 as well for the person they were planning on going with, especially if that person has to work, etc. It doesn't make sense to allow people to purchase a pair online but only one in person.

Congrats to you, just disappointed as usual.

#984 chanokokoro, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    awdturboiv likes this.
  25. chanokokoro

chanokokoro (0) Jan 31, 2012 Illinois

Exactly. As much as some people complain about FFF, they really have listened to the feedback from previous DLD's and made adjustments based on that feedback. I'd challenge anyone to name a better run beer event than last year's DLD. I'm guessing they'll do some things differently, and it will be even better than last year.

26. texasalec

texasalec (0) Jul 18, 2013 Texas

I was in group E last year (and this year). I got in line at 5:30, about 100 people behind the last person in D, and I only waited until 8:00. I personally think waiting in line is the best thing about DLD. Everyone there is a beerknurd to an extent. Bring lots of beer and have a small bottle share in line. Also DO NOT wait until 8:00 to get in line. There are 2 reasons; first, when I got in they still had 2 varients of BA DL. Second, the last people didn't get out until 10. Cheers man!

27. rxeight

rxeight (0) Feb 5, 2012 Illinois

Last year they did not check the name on your ticket when you went through the bottle line. They just checked the group number at the start of the line. Also the last 2 year I went through later than my group. Last year I went through e group with a tickets. Also one of my friends couldn't make it to e group as he was overserved, so his two tickets were used by his guest and another friend without any problem.

28. Jonnyhiggs

Jonnyhiggs (0) Dec 7, 2012 Illinois

I'm passing out in your Tahoe. I also expect sammiches.

29. rxeight

Variants have never been allocated to groups. In 2011 it was the first year, they made less than half the total number of bottles compared to 2012 and 2013 and didn't run out of any. Also that year the whole variant thing was a suprise and none had been tried and vanilla wasn't established as the trade whale at that point so people were not going for that one first.

30. rxeight

We are making those wraps again. I don't know who brought the sammiches. The 'hoe won't be there after C group

31. leftyhyzer

leftyhyzer (0) Jul 10, 2012 Indiana

Last year I was early C group and was able to get a bvdl btw.

Tony412 and 1noa like this.
  32. luniz

luniz (0) Oct 24, 2013 Michigan

vanilla is only a must if you are getting it to trade. otherwise why not try something interesting?

33. mdomask

mdomask (0) May 27, 2012 Illinois

Well, vanilla is interesting...

That said, trying something interesting was my thought behind getting Cognac de Muerte.

34. JulianC

JulianC (0) Mar 9, 2012 Illinois

Group A for the first time this year. Excite.

35. roger617

roger617 (0) Jun 1, 2013 Indiana

Thanks! Everything I've read about the name has been once you're in, you're in, and it doesn't matter much at that point. But figured it would be worth checking!

36. 1noa

1noa (0) Mar 24, 2011 Virginia

I was also able to get BVDL in group C last year, so don't fret. Excited for another great time at DLD!

BRZvice likes this.
  37. hey5hitgoose

hey5hitgoose (0) Feb 28, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Ill come say hey !

Pidzik12 and Tony412 like this.
  38. Tony412

Tony412 (0) Jan 26, 2012 Michigan

F you, Dave.

leftyhyzer likes this.
  39. Beerdudenumberone

Beerdudenumberone (0) Dec 9, 2012 Indiana
    Trader

My first DLD in 3 tries. Got on and Q'd up about 3min till and was able to snag a pair of group B by 6min after. I was wondering about what type of DLD memorabilia do they sell there if any? Snifters, shirts etc........?

40. a_beckman25

a_beckman25 (0) Jan 27, 2013 Michigan

All kinds of stuff. T-shirts, posters, intelligesta (switched to dark matter this year) had coffee drinks that came in the snifters, bands bring their memorabilia. I saw a ton of different 3floyds shirts and posters. Just bring plenty of cash and u will find more than enough stuff to spend it on. I thought everything was decently priced as well. $20 a shirt, $5 a pour for most beers, and $10 for super rare stuff (vanilla dark lord as example), and food was like $8 for a burger and chips.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.