Dark Lord Pricing, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by TheRemyLeabeau, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRemyLeabeau

TheRemyLeabeau Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2013 Ohio

Ok so question, and please have mercy on me I'm somewhat of a virgin to the craft beer world. I've had quite a few awesome beers but have only been into the scene for a year or two now. Heres my question for all you pros. Would i be a total idiot for paying 60-70$ for a bottle of Dark Lord? Hear me out, i really want to try this beer and with the exception of great rare ohio locals (Brew Kettle White Rajah, Columbus IPA, Fathead's Headhunter, etc.) I have nothing all that great to trade because i drank through all my rare tasty beers lol. So I guess my thought is this, if I bought a ticket, drove all the way to Chicago, then paid 15-20$ on DLD, considering all that it almost seems like 60-70 isn't all that unreasonable. I'm curious what you beer vets think....

2. booyahachieved3

booyahachieved3 Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2012 Kansas

I've seen people spend more. If you're happy spending the money on beer, that's all that matters.

3. mpayne5

mpayne5 Devotee (430) Aug 18, 2011 Indiana
    Trader

Unless 2013 is different than 2012, I wouldn't pay $15 for it.

4. TheRemyLeabeau

I've tried.. And I sure don't want to annoy anyone. I just want to see what all the hype is about, I'm in the process of getting some heady and pliny tho so maybe I'll find someone to share with!

5. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Disciple (325) Dec 24, 2012 Texas

$60+ on DL... Not me. I wanna go to Dark Lord day eventually, but I wouldn't pay that much for the newest one. I can't give any input on any of the other years because I haven't had them.

6. TheRemyLeabeau

I found sites that have '10 '11 and '12 for 60-70...

7. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Disciple (325) Dec 24, 2012 Texas

We just did an imperial stout tasting last Thursday and 2013 Dark Lord was unanimously voted as the least favorite.

MoreAbv likes this.
  8. sherm1016

sherm1016 Aspirant (210) Aug 10, 2009 Wisconsin

Total idiot? I don't think so.

I bet if you wait a little bit, you'll be able to try it much cheaper than $60-$70. Patience is a virtue, as they say.

I'd bet if you put together a reasonable offer with $25-$30 of solid beers like the ones you mentioned, you might find a taker.

Do it. It's worth the trip.

MoreAbv likes this.
  9. TheRemyLeabeau

See I was gonna post an ISO/FT thread but i offered those beers for a nemesis '09 and was essentially laughed at. Maybe I'll prowl the forums and put a thread out there sometime. Thanks for all the feedback guys its def appreciated. Anyone else who has thoughts feel free to share.

10. foobula

foobula Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2009 Illinois

2013 > 2012. Don't start with 2012 like I did. Even the 2013 is not one of my favorite stouts, but I know how it is when you haven't tried a beer yet and really want to. Personally I'm pretty patient & you should eventually find it if you're active in the beer community. It took a year before I got to try Utopias-- big thanks to the stranger at Dark Lord Day who gave a taste to me & bro toward the end of the night.

11. taxman

taxman Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2012 Illinois

It's your money to spend as you see fit. Since taste is subjective, you won't know until you've tried it to know if it's worth it. However, if just having the chance to taste it makes it worth it, then do it. If you don't do it, in a few months, or sooner, you'll have spent the money on something else and you still will not have tried it. Then you won't have the money or the DL.

12. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2010 Illinois

Send me a mix 6er of White Rajha and Columbus IPA and I'll send a '13 DL out your way.

*Read in the voice of The Leprechaun of "The Leprechaun" fame.

saliro5, Hugonaut13, MoreAbv and 15 others like this.
  13. Vav

Vav Aspirant (272) Jul 27, 2008 Illinois

If you do it, it'll be...:sunglasses:....quite a gambit.

YYYEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

14. TheRemyLeabeau

Deal... Thanks dude!

MarkIntihar likes this.
  15. TheRemyLeabeau

Ba Dum Tss

16. fishtremble

fishtremble Initiate (133) Jan 18, 2010 Michigan

I wouldn't pull the trigger at that price but that is only my opinion due to the fact that I have tried it and stouts are definitely my favorite style and I found this beer to be seriously lacking compared to so many others I have had before and after it. Also doesn't help that hobby vs income also tells me I wouldn't spend that on any one beer on the market either. :slight_smile: Some good advice here if you are just starting to enjoy this hobby just sit it out being in Ohio your chance will definitely come to try it and then you can decide for yourself if the beer is worth it to you or not.

Well hell that didn't take long for a quality member to pitch in and solve this one. Once again showing there is some love left out here in the group. Way to spread it STX!!!

17. TheRemyLeabeau

Yeah man surprised by all the people throwin in their 2 cent its very much appreciated. Yeah StX is awesome I'm gonna take care of him on my end for doin me such a solid! Thanks again guys.

18. sacullen

sacullen Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2008 Illinois

09, 10, 11 DL is still diabetuss in a bottle. I haven't had 12 or 13, but I don't expect them to be that much different. If you're looking to trade for some, wait a while and post an offer every month or so. Just be aware that your offer should take into account the price of the tickets and bottles, and the fact that people drop a lot of money on other beer and food and the weekend turns out pricey. For those, the offer must be on the higher side and definitely not $4$. Worth $60-$70 per bottle? Not to me but everyone's tastes are different.

Is DLD worth the money? Absolutely! There are always great guest taps and people sharing other tasty beers that make standing in a line more fun than you would think standing in a line could be.

19. sbxx

sbxx Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2011 Illinois

Dark Lord Day is one of the biggest beer events for a reason, and it's not just the bottle sharing. Dark Lord itself is an awesome beer. Don't listen to these people who trash it. It's very popular, which means it's also very popular to hate it.

$60-70 for a bottle? Hell no. It's a great beer but, at the end of the day, it's still just a fuckin beer. Face value of $15 is what I believe it's worth.

Wait it out, try 1000s of other beers that are readily available, and eventually you'll get around to trying Dark Lord. Maybe you'll get lucky and someone will let you try an aged version or even a barrel aged version at a tasting. It'll be well worth the wait. Trust me. Paying scalper prices on your own just to say you've tried it will most likely lead to nothing but disappointment.

Cheers bud.

20. semibaked

semibaked Zealot (596) Mar 27, 2007 Illinois

I think you should do what you want with your money, if you want the Dark Lord and have no problem paying $60 to $70 for it, then do it.

Personally I would want a Dark Lord from any of the batches after 2009 for any price, but hey that is me. Way too sweet for my liking.

21. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Aspirant (284) Jun 5, 2012 Indiana

What stx said. If you are able to scrounge up a 6er of White Rajah, and Columbus IPA or Bodhi, I feel like this shouldn't be a hard trade.

22. TheRemyLeabeau

Yup i already bought the beers for him, great guy.

23. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Disciple (306) Jan 28, 2011 Ohio
    Trader

Hi I'm Max, I live in Dayton, Ohio and I will share Dark Lord with pretty much anyone who asks.

Shoot, I gave the pizza delivery guy a sip.

PuckIt, BT_Bobandy, waston and 7 others like this.
  24. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2012 Michigan

Little late to the conversation, but my two cents would be just be patient. There are plenty of beers out there that I would love to try and a many I have only been able to try due to some awesome traders on BA, but don't give into those that prey on us. The guys or gals who buy a BADL just to throw it on craigslist the next day to seek a huge pay day. You will get a taste of DL eventually ( and it looks like you already set something up) and you won't have to pay such a ridiculous price. Just go to a beer event near you and set up a tasting before or even try to put together something yourself with BA's in your area... Cheers!!

25. Infinite1

Infinite1 Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2010 Illinois

I never drink my DLs alone. Anytime I open any of them is to share

yock and HansumFilly like this.
  26. nickMB

nickMB Aspirant (291) Nov 17, 2009 Illinois
    Brewery Trader

off-topic - Anybody have an '08 DL and need anything between '09 and '13. My brother and I drank our last '08 a few years ago and I am yet to find anyone looking to trade one? Hoping to make a 10 year vertical in a few years.

27. Lansman

Lansman Aspirant (258) Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Trader

<Shudders>

28. sbxx

sbxx Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2011 Illinois

Yeah, I don't know about that...

29. ddedhed

ddedhed Disciple (330) Dec 4, 2012 Ohio
    Trader

Dayton here as well. Let me know anytime you are itching to open a bottle!

30. TheRemyLeabeau

I mean I am new to the game but maybe we should set up a tasting or something down the road! I am currently working on putting together quite the cellar so I would def be able to contribute.

31. ddedhed

ddedhed Disciple (330) Dec 4, 2012 Ohio
    Trader

More than happy to pitch in here. I have 1 bottle of 2013 DL. Sadly, I broke two of it's brothers.:slight_frown:

32. HeyBoff

HeyBoff Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2011 Illinois

Dark Lord is a dime a dozen nowadays, the past couple years I haven't even been able to give it away to trading partners. It gets better with age though.

33. TheRemyLeabeau

You're welcome to give it away to me anytime lol.

34. M1A2

M1A2 Disciple (345) Jan 15, 2012 Ohio
    Trader

I could not agree more with MordorMongo!! if you are ever in NW Ohio get with me and we will open all the DL you want.

35. Infinite1

I can't imagine anyone turning down any beer for free

36. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Disciple (306) Jan 28, 2011 Ohio
    Trader

I'm always down for a tasting. PM me sometime.

37. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 California

I would turn down DL. I turn down any beer that isn't worth drinking. What's the point when there is so much good beer around to drink instead?

38. Infinite1

It's free and nothing worng with tasting a beer for the first time a second time

39. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 California

My first time was just so bad I can't go back. The girl you thought was hot, you pulled down her panties and.....ugh. You can't go back bro.

MoreAbv likes this.
  40. MoreAbv

MoreAbv Initiate (101) Jan 28, 2013 California

For those that have experienced DL and Firestone Parabola, what's your verdict? Similar to the OP, I have also been in intrigued by the hype surrounding DL.

So far, Parabola is a darn awesome BA imperial stout. Probably the best I've had so far.

Houston_E89 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.