Darkness day, Do I really need to camp out over night?

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by BreakingBad, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

Question:
    Do I really need to camp out over night for darkness day?

2. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Disciple (358) Apr 30, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

You will want to move this to the Midwest thread. To answer your question, though, you will want to be there no later than 6am. Camping is highly recommended.

3. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2009 Illinois

You don't need to do anything that you do not want to do.

If you want Darkness bottles and you do not live in Surly's distribution range, then probably.

Photekut and claaark13 like this.
  4. BreakingBad

Is it distributed in stores? do they have a brewpub?

5. Powderhornphil

Powderhornphil Defender (613) Apr 30, 2012 Minnesota
    Trader

It does make it to stores. But Likely sells out within the day, and likely less than a couple hours at most stores.

6. richardflyr

richardflyr Initiate (130) Jul 28, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

If you honestly want bottles, you will want to show up bright and early on Saturday. 6am or earlier definitely. You can try your luck with distribution, but it is much less certain.

7. tewaris

tewaris Savant (941) Jul 14, 2009 Minnesota

I heard they're making five times as much this year... show up at 10 AM Saturday after breakfast, should be easy enough.

8. theCoder

theCoder Aspirant (232) Oct 24, 2011 Minnesota

Truly its hard to tell until Surly releases exact information as to how many people get wristbands to buy Darkness. Even if they're supposedly making more this year, maybe they're still only going to sell the same as last year and the year prior but allow more to go to stores so they get more than 1 case.

9. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Devotee (416) Apr 23, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

Knowing nothing about the quantity being brewed this year or how any people are expected to show up, keep on mind that the last person to get a wristband last year show up at 6am.

BreakingBad likes this.
  10. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2009 Illinois

And someone that showed up the night before peed himself in a tent.

Plan wisely.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  11. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

Don't plan on sharing a tent with backfat?

Gonzoillini likes this.
  12. BreakingBad

okay damn, I was planning on taking the train to Minneapolis but it doesn't get there till 10:30 pm

13. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (2,363) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Trader

YES! Beer release in the Midwest. Thats standard! And its fun too. Meet cool Ba's share great beer make new friends, etc! Whats not to love about that situation!

gpawned and Dontcounttoday like this.
  14. JDByryderCARSALES

JDByryderCARSALES Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2012 Illinois

I heard that guy once gave a handjob to a manta ray....

MordorMongo and MarkIntihar like this.
  15. feloniousmonk

feloniousmonk Poo-Bah (5,030) Nov 14, 2002 Minnesota

It's only going to get bigger. If after 6 am was too late last year, come at 1 am this year.

16. jodan

jodan Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2008 California

Pretty sure it was closer to 730. Definitely after 6 though. Not taking the chance this year.

17. Dontcounttoday

Trader

I would think that 10:30 would be fine. Even 11.

I fully agree. It is a great time, you just really have to limit yourself because you can be blackout drunk by the time the gates open and you really dont want that. You also don't want to be falling asleep tired.
    I can see how it is annoying to some people that they have to spend so much time to do something like Darkness, but if you are going to do it try to be in good spirits.

Yeah you could be right; I was pretty tired.

BeerOps likes this.
  18. Duffmanohyeah02

Duffmanohyeah02 Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2011 Missouri

I got there at 6 last year and was damn near a mile down the line.

19. mobius387

mobius387 Disciple (363) Dec 5, 2010 New Hampshire
    Trader

anyone know production #s for this year's batch? (i.e. same, more, less..)

20. dmsulli

dmsulli Initiate (167) Jan 30, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Who from Chicago will grab me an extra bottle? Pretty please?

21. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (4,060) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Yeah, this is wrong, don't want to make it worse than it already is.

Last people who received wrist bands last year arrived at 7:30AMish. I know this because we talked to them.

gpawned likes this.
  22. Dontcounttoday

Trader

Sorry again if I am off on the time. I was there when he got the wristband, they made a big show of it too. I thought he said he got there at 6 but I may have misheard or misremembered. I felt so bad for the people right behind him

23. Verbl

Verbl Initiate (102) Feb 7, 2009 Minnesota

There will be some sort of not yet announced camping restrictions this year. I imagine the restrictions will include a do not arrive earlier than XXX pm on Friday night due to the other companies in the area needing to complete their work week before hundereds of people line-up down the street. These companies also let Surly use their parking lots for Darkness Day Parking, so they will not be avalable until later.

BreakingBad likes this.
  24. zeledonia

zeledonia Meyvn (1,404) Nov 23, 2008 Washington

I believe they already said not to show up before 6:00 pm Friday. Can't remember where I saw that, though.

25. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (4,060) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Hey, didn't mean that aimed directly at you, but it's already crazy enough! Last year was the first year we showed up before 8AM & sure glad we did. The craziness has accelerated to the point that within a year or two, I'm not sure Surly's going to be able to handle the crush in their quiet industrial corner.

26. mobius387

mobius387 Disciple (363) Dec 5, 2010 New Hampshire
    Trader

How does the timing of events go? Show up early, they hand out wristbands, then start selling them early morning till noon type of thing? Do they have taps going all day or just till a certain time?

27. zeledonia

zeledonia Meyvn (1,404) Nov 23, 2008 Washington

Details haven't been posted yet, but the info from last year is here: http://www.surlybrewing.com/newsblog/?p=900.

The gates opened at 11:00, but they came around at, hmm, maybe 9:00 handing out wristbands? At that point the line broke down cause it didn't matter anymore.

Taps go from when the gates open until they close - something like 11-5 last year. Lots of tastings going on in line, though. Bring bottles to share, and people will share with you. The quantity and quality of bottles that get opened while people are waiting in line is mind-boggling. Surly folks also tapped several kegs of their draft-only beers, before the gates opened, at various points in the line.

To me, this event is much more about the hanging out, than it is about buying bottles of Darkness. I'll either be camping out or arriving very early in the morning.

gpawned and mobius387 like this.
  28. jverdo1

jverdo1 Initiate (79) Apr 5, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

They hand out wristbands and I believe the gates open at noon.
    Besides Darkness - Surly will have taps all day for sale and there is a band (Metal).
    Surly doesn't do the BS special tapping of a 1/6 barrel for thousands of people - they brew enough to go around!
    Once you get the wristband - get in line any time you want to purchase Darkness.

People talk about a lot of crazyness but I've never seen anything - just a bunch of people camping out to get beer.
    This is not Dark Lord day people....

As for the 8 AM comments - they move the line at 8 AM, so if you want beer show up either a little before or after 8 AM. And Surly has asked to not camp out before 6 PM, otherwise the other company will complain and this event will not occur in the future.

BreakingBad and mobius387 like this.
  29. Jkoeneman

Jkoeneman Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2010 Indiana

Has anyone seen the official announcement for this year yet?

30. hegemonycricket

hegemonycricket Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2012 Chad

If there was an official announcement it would already be posted. Beer world secrets cannot be kept on BA.

BreakingBad likes this.
  31. aasher

aasher Poo-Bah (2,805) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana

Hell yeah. If you show up the mornin.g of you've missed a lot of the party.

32. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,382) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Trader

prove it.

33. Jkoeneman

Jkoeneman Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2010 Indiana

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.