Dating a couple of beers

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by AlexFields, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexFields

AlexFields Meyvn (1,277) Dec 13, 2009 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

Got a couple of beers as extras and trying to figure out the vintages (guy who sent them wasn't sure).

First is Dieu du Ciel Solstice d'Hiver. Numbers punched on the side are 0 and 8--does that mean it's an 08? I've never understood how to read DDC labels.

Second is Boulevard Dark Truth Stout, best buy date is 07/13--how far out do they date these?

Thanks!

2. ActonBrewer

ActonBrewer Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Massachusetts

As long as one doesn't find out about the other, you should be able to date both of them simultaneously.

On a more serious note, The dark truth is going to be good for a while. I wouldn't age it for years, but you can definitely put a few back.

3. cmoody91

cmoody91 Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2010 Illinois

I believe Boulevard puts best by for Dark Truth 2 years out from bottling date.

4. Yarf018

Yarf018 Initiate (0) May 13, 2014 Colorado

For the dark truth, does this mean to drink it by the best by date or to cellar until the best by date?

5. mattosgood

mattosgood Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2014 Massachusetts

Have we figured out DDC's code yet?

I have their barleywine that my brother got this weekend and it's marked 7/7. As much as I would like the have a seven year old bw, I doubt this is true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.