Day trip in CT sept 7, thursday

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by hobbitz, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hobbitz

hobbitz Initiate (137) Jun 17, 2010 Rhode Island

Does anyone have some ideas on where to go? Southeast brewery's I been to so looking more western, northern part of CT.I will be coming from southern RI. At the moment it will just be me so got to not get trashed.

Drive to Nebco, had beer before but never visited.
    Nebco to Black Hog 27 min
    Black Hog to Witch Doctor 25 min
    Witch Doctor to relic 14 min
    Relic to ?

2. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Initiate (104) Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

If you need food, stop at J. Timothy's near Relic. Get the dirt wings!

3. ElmerTLee

ElmerTLee Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2015 Connecticut

Last time I hit NEBCO, I also went to Duvig, Thimble Island and Stony Creek. Thimble had the better beers, Stony had the better view.

4. hobbitz

I have a free growler and tour for 2 at thimble island so want to save that for when my cousin visits.

5. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (4,545) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

You can do thimble, stony creek and duvig in about 18 minutes of drive time. So do them all at one swing. Can get to overshores/12% in another 10 mins, if they are open for a Thurs.

Black hog is a good stop after nebco, you may also want to hit counterweight if the timing works. And if at counterweight, no worries is an easy drive, still in Hamden.
    Havent heard much about witch doctor.

Relic is great and Mark is great to talk beer with. Not sure how many places you are aiming for in a day. You may be getting tapped out from the above list

CTHopman likes this.
  6. KingCobra686

KingCobra686 Initiate (127) Aug 13, 2014 Connecticut
    Society

Whats your main goal? Trying a bunch of small local places or hitting the top spots?

7. Shyla987

Shyla987 Initiate (133) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut

I would skip Witchdoctor and do Kinsmen instead. Witchdoctor's beers are not up to par yet. I would also skip Black Hog and go to Counter Weight instead.

8. hobbitz

Don't really have a goal. Wanted to go for a cruise around for couple of hours.

9. Arminius757

Arminius757 Initiate (179) Aug 29, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

I second Kinsmen. Fantastic stuff. Sucks that you aren't around for a Saturday cause OEC would be on that path... I am a personal fan of Firefly in Bristol, they have a solid line up that isn't always cluttered with every IPA under the sun and the ones they have are good.

mjco04 likes this.
  10. mja271

mja271 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2016 Connecticut

Witchdoctor is a cool spot but the beers were just ok. Kinsmen is also a cool spot and the beers are pretty good, so I'd echo that suggestion as well.

11. dmolz

dmolz Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2014 Connecticut

call oec, if they're around they'll sell you bottles and prefilled growlers still when closed usually. I'd second counterweight. for food, I'd say middletown or new haven. so many options and solid beer spots. if you're a bourbon guy, krust in middletown is probably biggest selection in the state. eli cannons across the round. krust other restaurant opens this wk. and the diner there is solid. all walking distance.

12. coteman6789

coteman6789 Initiate (51) Jan 22, 2016 Connecticut

I would vote for New Park in West Hartford. They're putting out some great IPAs.

JBurd and dmolz like this.
  13. hit728

hit728 Aspirant (286) Mar 19, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

Counterweight is closed on Thursday. Enjoy the trip!

14. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2016 Connecticut

Sadly my two favorite ct breweries are closed on thursday, fox farm and counterweight. New park opens at 5 and is pretty far out of your way and only fills their own growlers for some stupid reason. I've never been disappointed by their beer. Easily some of the best in the state and always a good food truck.

I've always been pretty fond of relic in plainville. Great spot for some fills and most importantly cans. Haven't been going as often since counterweight opened to be honest. One of my friends has been talking up kinsmen. Might be worth the shot. I wouldn't know.

If you like cider. I would definitely recommend new england cider company in wallingford. They're open thursday.

I also stop by beerd for cans any time that I'm in the area but I'm sure that you know more about that one than me.

Could always just drive through CT and go to tree house. Probably what I would do on a thursday....

15. hobbitz

Thanks all

16. mjco04

mjco04 Initiate (0) May 30, 2013 Connecticut

Definitely add Kinsmen. Alvarium (not sure open on Thurs) and New Park. Too bad Counter Weight isn't open on Thursdays yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.