DC/MD/VA Goose Island Bourbon County Stout Spottings

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Kmccabe33, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skinsfan

skinsfan Zealot (555) May 24, 2005 Maryland

also entirely possible he did call and either they lied to him or person on the phone had no clue they had it or thought he meant Coffee...

HookemHoos likes this.
  2. skinsfan

Yeah right? Never trust a TW employee about anything beer related. Only way to know for sure is show up in person and see the real thing unfortunately.

3. Thrashsquatch

Thrashsquatch Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2013 Virginia

Looks like Norm's just got in BCBS and BCBCS just now. "Goose Island Bourbon County is here. Limit one 4pk per. 1st come 1st served. Bourbon County Coffee is also here, 1 bottle per. No phone sales"

4. Sterlingbeerguy

Sterlingbeerguy Initiate (72) Jan 23, 2010 Virginia

Also not true

5. GenDV138

GenDV138 Initiate (33) Sep 23, 2012 Virginia

Just picked up a BYR from TW Sterling and looked like they had a few left. Thanks for the heads up!

6. HookemHoos

HookemHoos Zealot (523) Sep 20, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Called out? That's what I was told when I called. I either called the wrong place or got bad information. Call them yourself if you don't believe me.

And I'm not looking to get more than one by any means. I've struck out on all other chances, just want to try it.

7. skinsfan

Got it, then your TW Sterling store runs way more efficiently than the TW McLean and Laurel stores operate. Can't tell you how many times I have been told incorrect info over the phone the entire online system is worthless for the most part. I wish your location wasn't so far away from me, otherwise I would make the trip over there to pick stuff up.

8. HookemHoos

Trader

Nice, so there's some still left? Maybe it's worth the drive and taking a chance.

9. MonRoRo

MonRoRo Initiate (41) Nov 1, 2013 North Carolina

I have given up on TW Laurel. Despite deliberate attempts at better organization and better customer service, they have actually become worse over the past 2 years. Shelves are barely stocked anymore. You can't browse for more than 2 seconds without someone in the forklift running you over. And I can't make a single trip to the register without at least one bottle coming up as "un-scanable," which then causes a 20 minute delay while some other employee tries to find the item description on the wall and walk it over to the cashier.

Frankly, I'd rather pay more for better organization and less hassle.

skinsfan likes this.
  10. HookemHoos

Trader

Sweeeeet, I was able to snag one so this is kind of a moot point now, but it is in fact true that I was told there wasn't any left.

Also there's no possible way you can know for sure what I was told unless you work there and you answered the phone both times I called. Even assuming you work there, which I have no idea, it's still not possible for you to know what I was told. I called twice, first when I saw the OP and 20 minutes later after I finagled my way out of a meeting so I could try and snag some. First time I spoke to a guy, and the second time I spoke to a woman. The guy told me there was a limited amount going fast and the second time I was told that it was sold out.

Either way, thanks for the heads up and my apologies for passing on the bad information I received.

skinsfan likes this.
  11. zefarrett

zefarrett Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2013 Maryland

Based on prior experiences, I'm gonna say the guy was telling the truth. He knows a thing or two about that place. :rolling_eyes:

skinsfan likes this.
  12. gunpwdr

gunpwdr Initiate (159) Feb 7, 2013 Virginia

I'm not going to badmouth the other TW's, but suffice to say that I have the best experience shopping there when compared to the other Nova TW's.

skinsfan likes this.
  13. skinsfan

My thoughts exactly as soon as he posted that. But like you said, either way, you were able to snag a Backyard so mission accomplished.

HookemHoos likes this.
  14. SlothB77

SlothB77 Devotee (495) Dec 28, 2012 Virginia

K-1 in south arlington is sold out now.

15. SlothB77

If you call Total Wine, the employee answering the phone is clueless about special releases. They just look it up on the computer and the computer will say its sold out. The rule for calling total wine is getting past the person who answers the phones and getting transferred directly to the store beer geek who is in charge of limited releases like BCS. You will have to talk to at least two separate people to get the correct information.

Also, if you call up TW or anywhere really, and the person on the other end of the line says 'bourbon what?' or 'bourbon country?' or 'urban county?' like they have never heard of it, immediately find someone else to talk to. If they don't recognize the name immediately, they aren't in the know about the limited release and any information they provide is useless.

16. SlothB77

On Wednesday Lost Dog Cafe Columbia Pike told me in person they bought a keg of BCS 2013. My buddy says they tapped the keg and are offering BCS on draught. So I called and the guy confirmed. BCBS 2013 on tap at Lost Dog Columbia Pike right now.

17. Sterlingbeerguy

Sterlingbeerguy Initiate (72) Jan 23, 2010 Virginia

It is disappointing to see so much negativity on this thread although it seems to be based on frustration over poor information which is quite understandable. It happened on the first thread as well it and was deleted. I will not post any more on these lookout threads since my posts seemed to contribute to the negativity.

1up and Sudleysfinest like this.
  18. SlothB77

I think Total Wine is doing great things. It is because of stores like them that craft beers have exploded over the past five years. I know they are doing their best to get these beers to Virginia and Maryland and without them the supply available to people in this region would be much smaller.

19. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (298) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

I called last week about BCBS, and before I could even get my question out, the woman on the line said "We're all out."

I said, "Wow you got the Bourbon County Stout already and sold out of it?"

And the woman said "No, we sold out of the Great Lakes Christmas Ale."

skinsfan likes this.
  20. crow121

crow121 Initiate (149) Sep 23, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

For those desperate for coffee in MD, Wine Bin in ellicott city has one bottle limit, $6 each

stephenjmoore and jimmy666 like this.
  21. HookemHoos

Trader

I agree that the negativity is disappointing, and I do appreciate your helpful insight. I have a lot of appreciation for all those doing their part to help out other folks in search, and I thought I was doing the same. I don't appreciate being called a liar though, especially when I was just trying to help.

Either way, I hope everyone who went to TW Sterling in search was able to get one. They were super friendly once I got there. I think I just spoke to the wrong person. Cheers

jimmy666 and skinsfan like this.
  22. jimmy666

jimmy666 Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2010 Maryland

In the severna park/ arnold area in MD Severna park taphouse is having BCBS on tap next thursday. Dawsons will have bottles and growlers on friday and Fishpaws has BCBS,coffee and Barleywine as of 3pm today.

23. BMitch

BMitch Initiate (116) Jul 10, 2012 Virginia

I don't blame you for feeling that way, but for the rest of us that have you guys as our #1 beer destination, I hope you reconsider. You've been a tremendous resource on here and I'd hate to see that end. And from all my experiences at TW Sterling over the years that are too numerous to count, I can say without a doubt that the service there is light years ahead of any other location in the area. MJ and the rest of the staff have never once let me down.

24. truckerock

truckerock Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2011 Maryland

A few shops in and around Baltimore have coffee now. 2 bottle to 4 pack limits, pending the shop. Good luck folks.

jimmy666 likes this.
  25. cbear

cbear Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2013 Maryland

Any more info on which shops in baltimore and around Baltimore?

26. zefarrett

zefarrett Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2013 Maryland

Id love to know a shop with a 4 bottle limit. You can bm me if you prefer.

27. rhefter

rhefter Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2009 Virginia

I can confirm Chris was excellent with this at Rick's. I think it would probably be really easy to see who comes in 1-2x a week and usually drops $20+ each time. I think the biggest thing in becoming a good customer is just chatting with the people in the store and not be a dick to the staff and they will usually take care of you. Nick over at Arrowine is pretty active on twitter and has held bottles of random stuff just by sending him a tweet.

Total Wine did start a rewards program so I am sure you will start to see more targeted ads. They sent me a $2 off coupon for 4 or 6-packs which was a nice discount. I am sure they will use the purchase data a lot more in future.

28. scraff

scraff Initiate (160) Apr 18, 2003 Maryland

Thanks
    Thank you for the tip my friend. Picked up my one bottle (they only got a case) and I'm happy. Love to find one more, but eff it. It's just beer. When I drink it on Sunday, I promise to toast you. :slight_smile:

29. truckerock

truckerock Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2011 Maryland

HoneyGo Liquors in Whitemarsh were selling 4 packs. I would assume they are out by now. I picked mine up at 1:30. Winesource also had 2 bottle allocation, most already spoken for.

30. airifle

airifle Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2013 Maryland

Wine Source only has BCBS left. Two bottle limit.

31. mjord23

mjord23 Initiate (133) Jan 3, 2011 Connecticut

WOB Arlington just got in Backyard Rye, 2013 Coffee, and 2012 & 2013 BCBS.

32. dirtylou

dirtylou Poo-Bah (3,703) May 12, 2005 New York
    Society Trader

100% Agree, but only on opposite day.

33. HookemHoos

Trader

You can also get the BYR to go for $30. Coffee is $14.

34. CoastieSimon

CoastieSimon Initiate (127) Nov 3, 2010 Florida

If you still have not gotten you BCBS there is a case of Coffee '13 and two cases of BCBS '13 at Planet Wine in Del Ray. 5 bucks per 12 oz. I only bought 1 bottle of each and there is still plenty left.

35. SlothB77

World of Beer Ballston is down to two Backyard Rye's left. They also still have coffee. 1 bottle of each per customer. I got the third-to-last BYR tonight.

36. DarkMagneto

DarkMagneto Initiate (148) Apr 17, 2007 Illinois

Just got back from dinner again at Lost Dog in Dunn Loring. They still had about 5 cases of regular sitting there. $19.99 for 4pk.

37. StonebrakerIV

StonebrakerIV Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2013 Maryland

Might be worth a trip in the snow...

#277 StonebrakerIV, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
  38. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (298) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

A trip in a snowstorm to buy an overpriced $30 bottle of beer. Now that's the definition of beer geek, right there.

39. pmarlowe

pmarlowe Meyvn (1,356) Nov 27, 2010 Virginia
    Trader

So BCB Barleywine is hitting VA around now?

40. Blakeo

Blakeo Initiate (147) Mar 15, 2012 Washington
    Trader

I heard that it should hit this week, but who knows.

pmarlowe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.