DC -Pentagon City brew AND smokehouse?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Dmbphoenix, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Dmbphoenix

Dmbphoenix Disciple (313) May 17, 2012 New York

OK, so apologies as I was fastidious in trying to chose the right forum(since Pentagon Citty is in Arlington but we'll be in DC). We are going to be spending a few days in DC with kids (*no car). Staying in Pentagon City near the metro.

Any good recommendations for nearby smokehouses/BBQ on that side of the river? If not, I'd consider other spots nearby that we could take a cab too. Looking for really good ribs or brisket with a good selection of local beers.

Thank you in advance!

PS I did a search on the subject and saw reference to the Lost Dog Cafe which I'll look up now .

Lastly, Googlemaps shows a nearby EPIC smokehouse but .....called one EPIC is always suspect LOL

Sip404 likes this.
  2. moonbrews

moonbrews Initiate (78) Aug 11, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Sip404 likes this.
  3. dhartogs

dhartogs Disciple (362) Apr 29, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

10 minute Uber ride to Texas Jacks in Clarendon. From there you are not far from Rustico, or Fireworks. Both have quality and large draft lists and can take kids to.

Sip404 and ArlVABeerGuy like this.
  4. grover37

grover37 Champion (882) Nov 14, 2007 District of Columbia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I would second this, but it's more like a 15 min walk from Woodley Pk, probably longer with kids.

Sip404 likes this.
  5. Dmbphoenix

The zoo was in our plans, weather pending, so that's perfect.

Thank you all, gentleman. You are scholars.

Sip404 likes this.
  6. harbinger

harbinger Initiate (138) Jan 30, 2015 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

From the zoo, you can take a cab or the Metro L2 Bus, which stops within a block of Smoke and Barrel. I agree that's the best place to have both under one roof, and it is a great beer bar. Also nearby, Jack Rose, a great whiskey bar, Black Squirrel, another quirky beer bar, and a few blocks in the other direction on Columbia Road, a new good barbecue place called Federalist Pig.

Texas Jack's in Arlington was also very good the times I went there.

Sip404 and Dmbphoenix like this.
  7. Dmbphoenix

Texas jacks was great BBQ. Thanks again. May try smoked another night. Unless you can think of other places near Pentagon.

Is wholefoods near Ritz Pentagon a good place for brews?

Sip404 and dhartogs like this.
  8. dhartogs

dhartogs Disciple (362) Apr 29, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Try K-1 on Columbia Pike, good bottle shop and pretty close. Haven't been to that Whole Foods but they should have a good selection.

Sip404 likes this.
  9. harbinger

harbinger Initiate (138) Jan 30, 2015 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

They get a few things and have a lot of taps for a grocery store, but I would echo the comment above and go to K-1 and lost dog, two blocks away from each other on Columbia Pike, easily reachable by short cab ride or the Metro 16 bus.

Sip404 likes this.
  10. LanguedocRocks

LanguedocRocks Aspirant (224) Aug 21, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I actually went there the other day, and thought it was pretty solid. Rocklands is pretty good as well. This area lacks good BBQ places IMO, but has gotten better over the past couple years.

K-1 and Lost Dog would be better places to go for brews. The Brew Shop in Arlington is also very good, and not far from the Pentagon area. Dominion Wine & Beer would be the best place to go, and they are in Falls Church.

I'd also recommend Rustico in Alexandria, which is pretty close to you. There is one in Arlington as well. The same people that run ChurchKey own the place, so they always have a great tap list.

Sip404 likes this.
  11. Slack

Slack Defender (682) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

2nd Rustico in Alexandria - menu is on untapped. Don't bother with WF Pentagon.

Sip404 likes this.
  12. Dmbphoenix

Have to second WF Pentagon. Underwhelmed. But pretty funny to see WH had a beer singles scene. And I thought I had no life on a Friday night!!! Lol

Sip404 likes this.
  13. FatSkippy

FatSkippy Initiate (27) Mar 21, 2005 District of Columbia

Smoke and Barrel is a great beer bar but their bbq is mediocre. Federalist Pig is a significantly better bbq option in that area.

Sip404 and harbinger like this.
  14. Zythophile

Zythophile Aspirant (294) Jan 29, 2016 District of Columbia

Federalist Pig... noted for myself since I always seem to be behind on everything.

Hill Country is right off the Yellow Line (2 min walk), but the brew selection ain't much.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.