Deafening sound levels at bars

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by brucedodds, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ie11

ie11 Initiate (137) Sep 21, 2002 Iowa

I'm 50+ and still have good hearing because I either walk out of places that are too loud (including Rolling Stones or other concerts if they are in bad venues) or I wear earplugs. I have since I was old enough to go to concerts. I keep two sets of plugs in the console in my car in case I go somewhere on the spur of the moment. I've been spied taking them after a set by band members, but often while they are stealthily removing theirs, too. I don't care if anyone notices--I can hear.

OTB and Chaz like this.
  2. apaisncsu

apaisncsu Initiate (178) Mar 25, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

I am 29 and since I started college I have been wondering why people, including most of my friends, preferred to go to bars where you have to yell to talk to the person next to you. If baffles me further that their preferred drinking establishments don't even serve decent beer.

I wished I understood why my opinion differed so greatly. Now I realize that it appears that it is only BAs (and older folks I guess :wink:) that prefer very little noise and a quality craft brew to go with their witty convo.

3. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2007 Massachusetts

I don't mind good, loud music while I am drinking, but it is relaxing to me.

4. ASUBeer

ASUBeer Aspirant (230) Nov 4, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

I only like my music super loud when I'm at a concert.

Loud, noisy bars annoy me. I'm much happier opening good bottles of beer with friends at my house.

genuinedisciple likes this.
  5. mikecharley

mikecharley Disciple (398) Nov 6, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I rarely go out to the bar (two kids 2yo and a 5 month old at home). On the off chance that we get a sitter, if the wife and I walked into a bar blaring music, we would probably turn around and leave. I am fine going home and opening a better beer from my cellar, and enjoy each other's company after the kiddos have gone to bed, rather than yell back and forth.

mecmd, yemenmocha and ASUBeer like this.
  6. brucedodds

brucedodds Initiate (15) Mar 4, 2006 Massachusetts

Wearing earplugs kind of defeats the goal of having a conversation.

7. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Devotee (422) Feb 24, 2011 New Jersey

I agree that loud bars are not the way to go when it comes to enjoying a drink. Someone said it wonderfully: if you want loud music, go to a concert. Cause even my metal loving self likes a nice calm atmosphere having a beer.

8. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2010 Washington

Don't tell them that.

pieman25 likes this.
  9. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,684) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I'm just the opposite -- I always enjoyed loud music but now I wear 'ear plugs' and they're called hearing aids. Take my word for it, these things are no fun to wear. I'll never hear 'normal' ever again while wearing these things, and I hope everyone who reads this will begin to protect what they have. Sorry for the downer, folks, but it had to be said.

pieman25 likes this.
  10. pieman25

pieman25 Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2010 Ontario (Canada)

I wouldn't even say hypsters, more like just idiots - over OR under 30. I'm 20 (soon to be 21, and of legal age to drink where I am), I play in 2 bands, am a self-proclaimed hypster, and enjoy seeing local bands play live in local bars/basements. The thing that pisses me off more than anything else when I'm at a show is the fact that nobody wants to turn the amp down. They like to think it's so that they can hear themselves over the drummer, but it suddenly loses credibility when the bassist is lugging in an ampeg "fridge" cabinet, guitarists have orange half stacks, and the drummer is playing hard to be heard over everyone ELSE, and all of this is happening to an average audience size of about 10-20 people.

franklinn likes this.
  11. omnigrits

omnigrits Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2006 Texas

If the music is so loud you have to raise your voice to have a conversation, it's too loud for me. I was going say something like 'If so many people (like me) hate loud music in bars and pubs, why do the owners/managers do it?', but then I remember that those places are almost always full, so I have to ask 'Why do so many people seem to like that?' because I just don't get it, and I didn't get it in 1974 when I was 18 and wondering why I was going to pubs where the music was loud, the atmos was full of smoke and there was nowhere to sit so we had to engage in perpendicular drinking for almost the entire evening. I stopped going to those places because I was fed up with waking up next morning with not only a hangover from the beer, but a sore throat from shouting, sore eyes from the cigarette smoke and a feeling that I really hadn't had a good night out. I guess not everyone else feels the same way. Chacon a son gôut, I suppose.

Mandark likes this.
  12. andylipp

andylipp Defender (640) Dec 8, 2006 Massachusetts
    Society

Was it louder or softer than a typical night at Bukowski?

13. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,353) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

I found my visit to rattle N Hum in NYC particularly deafening... and that was without music...

smutty33 likes this.
  14. Jerome1929

Jerome1929 Initiate (70) Sep 11, 2008 Michigan

I'm 26 and I love loud music, but not if I was going to a pub. I tend to go to bars right after work because it seems that the blaring music starts later in the night.

15. OTB

OTB Devotee (485) Sep 2, 2011 California

I will not frequent any place where I cannot hear my guests, plain and simple. There's loud and then there is a deafening din, won't, can't, and will not.

Cheers.....

16. CasanovaCummins

CasanovaCummins Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2012 Nevada

To the OP, what, what was that?! Couldn't hear you!

17. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2011 Florida

I prefer the music not loud. But it is nice that no one can hear you curse them out! I also like when they put the TV sound on for sports.

18. ChanChan

ChanChan Devotee (434) Dec 12, 2009 California

When I want to have a nice relaxing time I prefer to visit craft beer bars when its not too crowded, like around 3:00pm on a weekday! If its Friday or Saturday I know what I am up against so I try to make the best of it!
    Cheers!

19. FosterJM

FosterJM Poo-Bah (3,029) Nov 16, 2009 California
    Society

I'm 30 too and I prefer my house.

1. It's quieter
    2. It's cheaper
    3. I have better beer at home.

Cheers!

yemenmocha and dcook11 like this.
  20. FosterJM

FosterJM Poo-Bah (3,029) Nov 16, 2009 California
    Society

I'm gonna just leave this one alone......just so many things to go with here.....

Cheers!

MarkIntihar likes this.
  21. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poo-Bah (2,847) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Society

Better bathrooms
    Better food
    Better control over TV, music, etc.
    Your glass won't be empty 10+ minutes like at some places
    Etc.

22. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (7,240) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Have we become our parents?

dcook11 likes this.
  23. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn Initiate (87) May 27, 2011 British Columbia (Canada)

Don't we ever?

24. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,071) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Society Trader

I am 25, and even my Brutal Death Metal loving ass likes a pleasant and conversable bar. Fuck any of those damn bars with people dancing and loud rap and pop music(my ears would rather die than listen to that shit). Low level classic rock and some sports or something on the TV and I will be an easy consumer of your establishment; even though I almost never go to bars as a norm(though I am on vacation at the moment, so this rule fucking applies) Cheers!

25. nickapalooza86

nickapalooza86 Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2010 Wisconsin

You know where it is never to loud? My house! But anyway, we only have one beer bar in our area which has a unreal selection but ever since they tried to sell CBS at $100 a bottle for carry out I have not been going there as much. All my friends who are not into craft beer go to "normal" bars, so from time to time I have to put up with the loud noise. Hopefully someday my friends will grow up and stop going to crappy bars.

I be 26 years young.

26. chcfan

chcfan Zealot (558) Oct 29, 2008 California
    Trader

You apparently like loud music or noise in general. Good for you. Some other people don't. If a place is too loud for me, I leave and choose not to go back. Does that make me a cry baby? If a place didn't have any good beer on tap, would I be aloud to not like that, too, or should I just suck it up and so as not be be a whiner in your book?

27. azorie

azorie Champion (892) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

What is also interesting is the physiological warfare of using music to make people do things, that the biz wants them to do more of IE spend more money. They could care less if everyone ends up deaf.

In fact this article is very timely, and It goes to show you that you may notice it but you have no idea that its not random; its planned.

We just ran into it this a few days ago. I asked them if they could turn the music down, we were eating at 4:30pm, long before the crowds got there. I had to actually get a manager to turn down the music and even then it was only a reduction from about 87dB to about 80dB. I never thought the music was there to get us to hurry up and eat and get out. Needless to say this WAS my favorite place to eat. oh well hundreds of other places to try in town I guess........sad:angry:

28. Mavajo

Mavajo Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2007 Georgia

27. I don't like loud music at a bar/restaurant. However, natural bustling noise (ex. people talking, general hubbub, etc.) doesn't bother me. If I'm out with friends, it's actually strangely conducive to enjoying myself. I guess it provides a bit of a "party" vibe.

However, if I'm tired and/or if the room has strong acoustical reverberation (i.e. a "cafeteria" type room, with tiled floors, high ceiling and lots of windows), it makes my head swim and I can't focus.

29. TheJollyHop

TheJollyHop Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2009 California

This I believe is one of the main points of loud music. To foster a closer interaction! That and loud music makes you drink more... Personally I have no problem with loud music (if it's good music to my ears) when I have a buzz, but if I am trying to converse with someone than I make sure not to patronize one of those establishments.

30. carteravebrew

carteravebrew Devotee (491) Jan 21, 2010 Colorado

"Some research has shown that people drink more when music is loud."

I drink more because I just need to be doing something. I can't talk to someone because I feel like I'm screaming in their face, and I'm self-conscious that they might think my breath stinks. So I'm just standing there, looking at people, and then I get self-conscious that they think I'm staring at them. So I just tilt my head back, bottoms up, and stare at the ceiling with beer going down my gullet.

Usually my wife gets tired of me bitching about the terrible music and the other people my age (26) being ridiculous in my eyes. I eff'ing hate the "cool" bars downtown but sometimes end up there. I guess I need to go with a more open mind because I always end up having a terrible time, and it probably has a little more to do with my pre-conceived notion that the place is going to suck than what actually goes down.

"Oh, yeah, and one more thing, from now on we're going to have alternate dinner music because frankly - and I don't think I'm alone here... I'm tired of this Lawrence Welk shit."

31. lucas1801

lucas1801 Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2012 Massachusetts

Lord Hobo is always 2 things packed and loud, I usually try to show up there around 1 am as the crowd is thinning out and they turn it down a little. Since they serve right up until 2 it gives plenty of time for 2-3 beers and a couple of samples.

32. lucas1801

lucas1801 Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2012 Massachusetts

Bukowski's in Inman is probably louder, and definitely more obnoxious. Lord Hobo is a much better bar IMO.

33. drperry11

drperry11 Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 South Carolina

I agree here and if you need or would rather converse you can locate yourself away from the band to adjust the noise level.

34. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

What I'd really like to do is get all types of these studies together, compare and contrast them and publish my results to make people very aware of what is going on the influence them. Of course, there are some people who will believe that it is their choice and nothing influences them, and something like what I'm talking about may be out there already, but for some reason, I don't think so. I'd like to be proven wrong. It would save me alot of time. Of course, I would be harming the economy by putting researchers and consultants out of business.

35. genuinedisciple

genuinedisciple Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2010 Michigan

The Map Room in Chicago, never again...enough said.

36. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Poo-Bah (2,927) Mar 29, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

I'm 25 now, but have always hated screaming at bars to communicate. Superfluously loud bars are for people who have nothing interesting to say. The only deafening bar I would return to was Max's in Baltimore because it's far and away the best beer bar in town.

37. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 California

I strongly dislike loud places. I go out to hang out with people and talk.

Near me is OB Noodle House, great food, good tap list, and awesome happy hour... but I don't go there because they blast the music so loud. For some reason that is the scene they want to create, which doesn't seem much like the craft beer type atmosphere.

38. brucedodds

brucedodds Initiate (15) Mar 4, 2006 Massachusetts

Thank you for the tip, but at 1 am I've generally been asleep for two hours. My friend & I were literally the only people over 30 there. The staff was extremely hospitable and kind, though when I think about it nobody offered us walkers.

Thinking back, when I was younger I used to go to very loud places, but they always had dancing and/or live music happening. Bars didn't have that really high decibel level.

39. iwantsomerocks

iwantsomerocks Initiate (0) Oct 11, 2010 New Jersey

I'm 23, and always blast music in my car. I can't stand loud music in a bar. If there isn't a dance floor, what's the point of blasting music? Morristown, NJ is an excellent example of an entire city filled with bars that blast music wayyy too loud.

40. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,786) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I was there last week, and it was pretty quiet in the middle of the afternoon. Much more to my liking as I can talk to my wife and enjoy the beer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.