Dear Abby: My husband's six-pack-a-day beer habit adds to our expenses—and his gut

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Mar 13, 2022.

1. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,103) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Exactly...

Resistance88 and Immortale25 like this.
  2. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,108) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Divorce is one thing that no matter how expensive it gets, it's worth it.

It can do the same as retirement, though, and become a reason to celebrate/overindulge,

3. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,085) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

When I said choose wisely I meant your partner in general lol. I could’ve been more specific but I do understand what you mean.

TCgenny, BigIronH and cavedave like this.
  4. micada

micada Meyvn (1,448) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

So many aspects that could be addressed… If you have the budget for it, fine. If it’s not impacting your health, fine (I have a whole “beer math” spiel out there…). If it’s not impacting your relationships, fine. I think it’s all about context. Instead of contacting Dear Abbey, has the wife talked to her husband about what she wants him to instead of what she doesn’t want him to do? It can be difficult for some folks to frame requests / concerns that way. One stands a better chance of “successful” behavior change when someone can “do” something instead of “not do” something, IMO.

I mean, I just dropped $150 on 9 beers today. If I don’t have the budget, I don’t spend it. If she wants me to buy something else, she’ll need to tell me what it is. If I’m getting too fat for my wife’s preference, then she can do something with me to burn calories…

#44 micada, Mar 14, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
  5. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

This makes me think there's hope for humanity yet!

6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,824) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

A husband and wife are shopping in their local grocery store.

[​IMG]The husband picks up a case of Budweiser and puts it in the cart.

"What do you think you're doing?" asks the wife.

"They're on sale, only $10 for 24 cans" he replies.

"Put them back, we can't afford them", demands the wife.

They carry on with their shopping. A few aisles farther on, the woman picks up a $20 jar of face cream and puts it in the basket.

"What do you think you're doing?" asks the husband.

"It's my face cream. It makes me look beautiful," replies the wife.

Her husband retorts, "So does 24 cans of Budweiser and it's half the price."

Cheers!

7. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,026) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Fucking optimists are everywhere these days.........

8. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

Redfin sent me a few bellingham listings that were at 500k and intact. Things are looking up!

9. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Poo-Bah (1,611) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

Expansive yeast....what?? :beer::poop::beer::poop:

HoppingMadMonk and BBThunderbolt like this.
  10. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

A couple places in my neighborhood (the WoodHood) went up recently, and both were gone in less than 5 days. No idea about the prices, but it's an area with big lots, and desirable.

micada and SFACRKnight like this.
  11. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

If the yeast don't expand, neither beer nor bread happens......

12. Specialmick

Specialmick Zealot (538) Aug 26, 2019 Connecticut

Could not stop laughing. so funny

13. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,108) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

If such a thing were possible to do most divorce lawyers would be practicing a different specialty.

14. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

So. The actual Dear Abby and the actual Ann Landers were, for real, sisters. As far as "advice columnists" go, I find Dan Savage ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Savage ) to be the most realistic and honest. And, he owns Ann Landers desk and typewriter (kids, ask your grandparents). Having read him for years, he always found the sisters very similar, yet found a strain of humanity in Ann that he hasn't seemed to find in Abigail.

15. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (4,837) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

As an older dude. I think he has a probably bored with retirement. I know from well worn experience that if I find myself trapped at home with nothing to do, I tend to teach for a beer and one is never enough
    So I will never retire.

16. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

17. Reidrover

Society

Teaching them how to " get in mAh belly"..fat bastard that I

18. Reidrover

Society

I AM

BBThunderbolt and sharpski like this.
  19. thebeeremptor

thebeeremptor Disciple (348) Aug 12, 2018 California
    Society Trader

Less money for beer :weary:

Shanex likes this.
  20. Equality72521

Equality72521 Initiate (11) Mar 1, 2022 Minnesota

Man's gotta have a hobby...

arizcards and beergoot like this.
  21. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Zealot (584) Aug 24, 2020 California

What...whaaaaaat? "Nothing to do"? I can't even imagine what that would be like. I still work part time, I volunteer at three completely different and unrelated organizations (a state park, an air museum, and a food bank farm) every week and I have a house to maintain, a wife and dog to entertain, a few on-line learning webinars in the que, a garden full of veggies that I battle the wild critters for, and a garage full of wood working tools. I still find time to drink, but I can't ever remember having nothing to do. @Equality72521 said it best "A man's gotta have a hobby..."
    My motto: Make a difference: Volunteer

tobelerone, beergoot, Junior and 4 others like this.
  22. Appearanceswc

Appearanceswc Aspirant (278) Mar 9, 2015 Virginia
    Trader

Good read. It sounds like the husband has a dependency problem, especially with consuming that much per day. His wife is the one that will have to take care of him when he can no longer take care of himself. Good reminder that we should keep booze in it's proper place.

beer_beer likes this.
  23. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (360) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

i see what you did there

CBlack85, AzfromOz, budsNpils and 2 others like this.
  24. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Which one?

25. G-Style

G-Style Initiate (123) Nov 6, 2017 New York

I tell you what. If I drank a 6 pack a day, I'd be a lot happier (and less thirsty!). Mental health comes into play here!

BigIronH, Peach63 and beergoot like this.
  26. BillAfromSoCal

Planes of Fame at Chino. B17 restoration

Junior, IKR and BBThunderbolt like this.
  27. pjbear05

pjbear05 Initiate (138) May 28, 2008 Florida

The best one! The National Museum of the U. S. Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB outside of Dayton, OH. From baloons and glders to the B-1 and the SR-71 Blackbird. Absolutely stunning, a must visit!

28. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I've been there. I've not been to Planes of Fame. If you're ever in the Finger Lakes region of New York, the Glenn Curtiss museum in Hammondsport is a worthy stop.

Also, if you're visiting the PDX area for beer, stop by and have a look at the Spruce Goose: https://www.evergreenmuseum.org/

beergoot likes this.
  29. HopfenUndMalzGottErhalts

HopfenUndMalzGottErhalts Initiate (102) Dec 25, 2015 Arizona

I am 70 and over the past two years cultivated a love for Belgian ales, usually 7% or higher. Recently I've been re-thinking this love and decided to take days off from any alcohol to see what happens. Big things. I sleep better, wake up better, and lost 8# in just over a month.

The homebrewing gear just sits, waiting for me to decide whether to sell it or restart making lower gravity brews to put on tap.

I feel better and don't have the urge, in fact have a repulsion, to drink, at least at the moment. My brain works better for solving math and other puzzles as needed for memory retention and hoping to stave off dementia.

Drinking a 6-pack a day is a sure recipe for an early grave and probable family breakup. Yes, get a hobby. I've gone full bore into coffee roasting, and computer apps to graph and monitor the roasts.

Good luck to the OP's spouse and the person in question.

beergoot, PapaGoose03, bret27 and 3 others like this.
  30. budsNpils

budsNpils Zealot (581) Aug 6, 2021 Texas
    Society Trader

Drinking a 6r a day and not showing signs of intoxication doesn't mean your a full blown alcoholic. It most likely means your beers are weak af. If you can go a day or 2 without beer and not shit on yourself or feel like you've been in a car accident then it's safe to say you just like drinking beer. She just needs to communicate with her husband herself as a partner not someone opposing him if it's really bothering her. My 2 cents

#70 budsNpils, Mar 14, 2022
  31. BillAfromSoCal

Been there, but personally I prefer aircraft that actually fly.....regularly. PoF vs. the National Museum at Wright Patt is like comparing a zoo to a taxidermist shop. Looking at a static F4U Corsair is nothing at all like watching one fire up that big R2800 radial and taxi out.

Vought F4U Corsair engine start up. Planes of Fame , Chino California. - Bing video

#71 BillAfromSoCal, Mar 14, 2022
  32. budsNpils

budsNpils Zealot (581) Aug 6, 2021 Texas
    Society Trader

On another note this guy might just need to incorporate some ganja into his beer routine. I say this after I have smoked some and it's certainly has impacted me. :grin:

33. OffTrail

OffTrail Initiate (98) Aug 12, 2012 Washington

I use this rationalization myself. The problem is that the 4 pack cans are likely to be larger in size and higher in abv.

Junior, beergoot and beer_beer like this.
  34. Appearanceswc

Appearanceswc Aspirant (278) Mar 9, 2015 Virginia
    Trader

I disagree with your first sentence. My wife’s aunts an uncles all held down full time jobs while being “functioning alcoholics”. It didn’t interfere with their work and you’d never know they were hung over. Just because they can “hold their liquor” doesn’t mean that they don’t have a dependency on it.

the real test would be if this guy were to take a month off and see how he does with it.

arizcards, beergoot, Rug and 2 others like this.
  35. beer_beer

beer_beer Defender (692) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

Good thinking. I had difficulties to be without, somehow the booze lurked into my mind and got a place it didn't deserve, no white months, I did better quit and kind of forgetting about alcohol. I'm very grateful for the NA options. Win in that I really can have a beer when feeling for it, without bias.

rocdoc1, ilikebeer03, Junior and 3 others like this.
  36. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,320) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Amen. I love the subtle humor that is a fine smooth current. But sometimes I laugh so hard I cry.

Junior, beergoot and SFACRKnight like this.
  37. Providence

Providence Champion (829) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Was this written in 1950?

EDIT: It was not. How sad.

38. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (675) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

I only want to know Abby's opinion of parents bringing their kids to breweries.

39. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,824) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

[​IMG]

CBlack85, BigIronH, Peach63 and 5 others like this.
  40. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,402) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

I know one thing, it’s really healthy to go behind your partners back to address your concerns to their physician without he/she knowing that. GREAT advice.

Also, switch to vodka. It’s cheaper and has less calories.