Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Decanting Beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SweetWaterIPA, Dec 19, 2012.

1. SweetWaterIPA

SweetWaterIPA Jan 26, 2009 Georgia

Has anyone ever decanted a beer? If so what are the advantages? Does it make sense to decant a beer a possibly loose that carbonation?

2. SweetWaterIPA

SweetWaterIPA Jan 26, 2009 Georgia

Can anyone agree that decanting does not make sense since you loose the carbonation from the beer?

RBassSFHOPit2ME likes this.
  3. SupremePie

SupremePie Sep 30, 2012 Vermont

Yeah, I wouldn't really decant due to the loss of carbonation...

4. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

Put it in a blender to aerate it.

5. ncaudle

ncaudle May 28, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

the only beer I decant is my homebrew BA Imp Stout, but that's because I over-primed it when bottling...

6. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Sep 14, 2011 Missouri

Decanting has different meanings. Beers with sediment should be decanted, meaning that they should be poured slowly into an alternate vessel so as not to disturb the sediment and leave the sediment behind in the first vessel. The alternate vessel could be the glass you intend to drink it from. You could also pour bottles or draft into serving vessels such as pitchers. Their will definitely be some loss of carbonation in decanting, but just pouring a beer into a glass also loses carbonation. So yes, decanting is appropriate for some beer service. It also will cause loss of carbonation.

7. Creetoper

Creetoper Jul 7, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I bought a wine carafe for this very reason. I doubt that, with a gentle pour into the alternate vessel, a noticeable loss of carbonation would occur. I tend to do this for any beer that has sediment and I've never had a bad experience.

8. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Aug 1, 2009 Washington

i like this idea a lot, especially with a thicker stout with more viscosity or a barleywine. Definitely worth an experiment.

9. podunkparte

podunkparte Nov 14, 2009 Washington

Seems like you all like cleaning extra glasses. Why not just pour into your favorite glass and let it sit if you're looking for a higher temp or less carbonation?

cl3 and Dweedlebug like this.
  10. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Jun 21, 2009 Virginia

because it's not as fancy!!!

11. Morakaton

Morakaton May 6, 2013 Michigan

I iust tried decanting a barleywine, took down most of the carbonation and made the beer alot more smooth and creamy. It's worth a try, especially since I got the beer on clearance =D

12. hooliganlife

hooliganlife Apr 12, 2007 Missouri
    Beer Trader

it is popular among gueze and lambic. as stated a few posts up, it allows for less sediment when pouring.

13. Gueuze_Goon

Gueuze_Goon Sep 4, 2013 Colorado

Works very well for Mamouche I have learned, really changes it for the better.

14. NeoSmeers

NeoSmeers Feb 14, 2014 Alberta (Canada)

[​IMG]
    To revive a long dead thread, I have a mikkeller black fist that comes with instructions "to decant like wine". So that sounds like letting it sit in a vessel for a bit.

JohnnyMc likes this.
  15. Homers_Beer_Odyssey

Homers_Beer_Odyssey Jun 17, 2014 New York

I don't get it. Beer should be poured into a glass. Is the question whether to first pour it into a decanted, then from the decanter into a glass? Sounds redundant.

RBassSFHOPit2ME likes this.
  16. Jnashed

Jnashed Feb 14, 2014 Virginia

Perhaps the other thread about jumping the shark is true....

Dweedlebug, eppCOS and PEDXING like this.
  17. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

My understanding was always that pouring something into a glass was decanting it... I guess my mom's been drinking wine wrong for years!

Hesscabob likes this.
  18. drtth

drtth Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Decanting a beer is basically pouring it out of the bottle gently and with a minimum of agitation of sediment and release of carbonation. So its a slow, gentle pour that involves no "glug," "glug," "glug."

I started doing this routinely with bottle conditioned beers after I found out that some breweries use a different yeast for bottle conditioning than they use for brewing the beer in the first place so getting the flavors of the sediment do change the beer.

With a non-carbonated beverage (e.g., wine, etc) its fine to pour into a separate container for storage and then re-pouring later on. However, with a carbonated beverage the beer goes directly into the glass. The exception to this is when I'm sharing a bomber (22 oz) or 750 ml size bottle. Then I'll decant very gently (to minimize loss of carbonation) into a small pitcher from which I'll then re-pour the beer into glasses, but this time pouring a bit more vigorously so as to help create a head on the beer.

19. drtth

Depends on how you pour. Decanting simply means pouring gently to avoid disturbing any sediment, if any, so no sediment no need to decant.

#19 drtth, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  20. drtth

Decanting simply means to pour gently without agitating any possible sediment in the beer, so no extra glassware needed.

tillmac62 likes this.
  21. tillmac62

tillmac62 Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

When you transfer a beer from one container to another, you may pour it very gently (decant) or more aggressively to allow head formation. The more gently you pour, the less carbonation you lose.

22. busternuggz

busternuggz Mar 9, 2008 California

Decanting "like beer", as others have said, is pouring gently in order to avoid pouring off sediment into the glass. Decanting "like wine" is to pour it into a decanter and let it sit a while, as you said OP. Using a decanter serves the same purpose as beer decanting (retaining sediment) and also let's the beverage in question aerate. So I guess Mikkeller is suggesting this beer benefits from aerating and "opening up" the way wine does.

23. john0721

john0721 Jun 12, 2005 California
    Subscriber

In my experience, some high to very high ABV beers do benefit from short term oxidation. Much like wine, some of the boozy harshness, starts to fade as it oxidizes, allowing some of its other flavors to come through more clearly.

Having said that, I've never decanted a beer. ( pouring it into another vessel ). I might open it and let it breathe a bit in the bottle.

More likely, I just pour myself a glass and drink it slowly ( we are talking high ABV ), allowing the rest to sit in the bottle. As I work my way through the bottle, I note how it changes after exposure to the air.

#23 john0721, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  24. iAmLarski

iAmLarski Jun 17, 2016

I may be redundant and if so I'm sorry for that, however the first reason to decant a wine is to remove sediment, the second is to aerate. That said if you want to remove the yeasty goodness from the bottom of your beer then go ahead, I prefer mixing it in.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe