Decoction Question

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, Dec 21, 2012.

1. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Moderator Subscriber

I realize it is a huge debate whether it actually does anything and that it is unneeded for today's highly modified malts. My question is, if I wanted to do a decoction for strictly flavor contributions alone, no concern on raising temps and conversion, how much would be good to pull, and how long would I boil it? How long should I take to raise it from mash temps to boiling (put the pot on high to get it boiling fast or lower and slower)? I am brewing a Dopplebock tomorrow with a touch of Melinoiden Malt in the grist and am considering doing a normal 60 minute mash @ 148, then pulling a portion of the mash to boil, return to the MLT, then vorlauf and sparge as normal.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

2. mcc1654

mcc1654 Mar 20, 2011 Illinois

If your just doing it for flavor contributions then I wouldn't bother with heating any portion of the mash. I would drain 1 - 1.5 gallons off and boil it in a second pot until it was reduced to almost a syrup. Then add it back to the rest of the boil.

3. BigAB

BigAB Aug 4, 2008 Iowa

From what I recall, a decent rule of thumb is 1 quart of mash (thicker portion, with just a wee bit of liquid) per pound of grain used. Also, I think if you're going to do a decoction (even a single), I think you can delete the Melanoidin malt from your grist.

Prost!

4. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Decoction gives me about 2 more points of efficiency. It darkens the beers one or 2 points SRM. It will take a while to get to boiling, use as much flame as you are comfortable with. Once at a boil you can back off the flame and maintain a boil. Stir, stir, stir. Also be careful as the decoction is "like" hot lava.

If you want more flavor boil longer. 15 minutes is a minimum. 30 min. is better for flavor. You might tire of the stirring.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe