Defective Bourbon County Bottles

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by denverbeerguy, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. denverbeerguy

denverbeerguy Initiate (0) May 10, 2013 Colorado

Hey guys-

I went BCBS prowling this morning and ran into an unusual issue, and I'm hoping it's isolated to the distributors. I went to four different stores and about 30-40% of the bourbon county bottles (both barleywine and stout) had serious cracking and damage to the necks. A bunch of my friends in the Denver area have complained about this as well and the store I was most camped out at had to set 4 packs aside that were seriously damaged. On top of that, even the ones without cracks have hardened glass malformations on the sides and bubbles in the glass.

Anyone else had this experience?

Rish907 and Phigg1102 like this.
  2. gjoker321

gjoker321 Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2007 Florida

3. supaadam

supaadam Initiate (0) Apr 6, 2014 Texas

Some of the bottles here in Austin have what looks like mold on the necks.

kevanb likes this.
  4. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Poo-Bah (1,819) Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina
    Society Trader

You should probably contact Goose Island or even Anheiser-Busch

5. cmwilliq

cmwilliq Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2014 Wisconsin

Bottles in wisconsin are perfect

funhog, WreckedPalate and PseudoBen like this.
  6. AdmiralOzone

AdmiralOzone Poo-Bah (2,374) Jun 26, 2014 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Haven't looked that closely at mine.:grimacing:

7. Doomcifer

Doomcifer Champion (878) Nov 10, 2005 Rhode Island

I know of some store owners/managers that have had to clean off, what appears to be, mold off the BCBS bottles. Kinda disturbing.

Edit: Also, the bottles that I saw a couple weeks ago, prematurely on display, were in horrendous shape. They looked absolutely filthy. Presumably the mold that some are speaking of.

Sazz9 likes this.
  8. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Poo-Bah (10,570) Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

What's the ABV on these supposed defective bottles? It seems a few batches made it into distribution, with different ABVs.

KVNBGRY likes this.
  9. spacecake9

spacecake9 Meyvn (1,080) Apr 26, 2014 Illinois

They could solve this problem by only distributing BCBS to the Chicago area.

10. grahuba

grahuba Savant (911) Feb 14, 2011 Connecticut

My 8 bottles look fine here in CT

11. mikepcarney

mikepcarney Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2009 Ohio

Is it just the BCBS or variants?

12. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Devotee (487) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

I just checked the two bottles of BCBS that I have, and I see no problems.

aasher likes this.
  13. luisfrancisco

luisfrancisco Initiate (173) Dec 1, 2009 Mexico

I knew it. Anheuser-Bush is already showing signs of disinterest on their craft brands. It's only a matter of time until they start watering down the beer for the masses to find it palatable. Apocallypse!

14. waitwhatamidrinking

waitwhatamidrinking Initiate (148) Aug 17, 2014 Illinois

That's probably the Brett version, or BCBBS.

15. TurkeyFeathers

TurkeyFeathers Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2014 New York
    Deactivated

Please private message me and I'll send you my addy to inspect any so called defective bottles and contents. Thanks in advance.

ksecler, Morey, SDwomp and 11 others like this.
  16. hmvalp

hmvalp Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2014 Tennessee

you shut your mouth!

17. tylerk88

tylerk88 Aspirant (245) Nov 17, 2013 Massachusetts

Unsure if I should open my bottles with mold on them or return them. Has anyone tasted one of these "defective" bottles ?

18. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2011 California

Aren't you guys greedy enough as it is? :sunglasses:

19. Yellolab2010

Yellolab2010 Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2014 Pennsylvania

Are you serious? As long as the cap is on and you hear the hiss when you pop it the beer is fine! Don't know what the mold is people are talking about but my case has a date of bottling from end of August. If there was some extra to get on the outside of the bottle it very well could have "mold" on it. That being said what's in the bottle is pure heaven! :slight_smile:

20. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

Just cracked a 2014 BCBS, there was some brown sticky stiff around the lip of the bottle kind of felt like glue, cleaned it off, poured it, and I can't tell if there is anything wrong with the beer. The only flavor that stands out is some bitterness that I have never tasted in a BA stout. There is also some kind of crease on the bottle.

21. beerdedking

beerdedking Crusader (737) Oct 15, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I saw an unopened bottle today that was 1/4 full...

22. BMMillsy

BMMillsy Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2012 Florida

Got a BW bottle with one side that was totally flat and deformed but seems otherwise fine.

23. smi69

smi69 Champion (893) Apr 8, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

Talked to a place in mass and they said they got it but sent it back because of mold on the neck

24. mrchrisray

mrchrisray Initiate (0) May 14, 2013 Ohio

Last year, yes. I had some BCBCS bottles that were sticky. Upon closer inspection I saw a very, very fine crack in a few bottles from different 4 packs. Once opened they seemed just fine and damn tasty. Once I took a bottle to a friend's house and had it wrapped in a towel, the towel had one drop of beer on it. Again, still seemed fine. I dont have this year's yet.

25. Somel3uddy

Somel3uddy Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2013 California

Northern California here, Just inspected a bunch of my bottles and 1/4 of them do have small cracks and bubbles, I did not see any mold though. My guess, since these were all bottled up to 3-4 months ago they sat somewhere that maybe wasn't well temperature controlled and perhaps got too chilled and cracked, then after they went back to warmer temp possibly molded from the moisture on the outside of the bottle. As far as mold inside the bottle, which fortunately I did not see on any of my bottles, if the cracks were big enough to let air in they potentially could have molded. But you would think the beer would seep out if air could get it.

26. fvernon

fvernon Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2010 Wisconsin

Mold on the outside of a bottle luckily shouldn't be an issue for the contents, so long as they are properly sealed (save issues arising from poor storage temps). I didn't notice any issues with my bottles (Illinois/Wisconsin/Iowa border) today, but I'll take a closer look. Hope it's all still enjoyable!

27. vshay

vshay Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2013 Pennsylvania

Was at my favorite beer spot here in Pa and was gonna buy 2 bottles and the clerk grabbed em and noticed one was broke, they were the only 2 left so I only got the one

28. OldRickSputin

OldRickSputin Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2014 Illinois

Cellar it for at least a year my friend.

29. gcamparone

gcamparone Poo-Bah (2,017) Dec 6, 2011 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Tons of the stout was recalled from western mass today. I called around 20 stores and 75% mentioned that they had to send BCBS back to the distribution due to a mold/cracking problem.

swolepeer and richobrien like this.
  30. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

I will, thanks for the advice. I have Parabola, BA Old Rasputin, and a few other BA stouts and I have never noticed bitterness. The bitterness did subside after it warmed up, very nice beer.

timontheroad likes this.
  31. Bonsall_Phil

Bonsall_Phil Disciple (384) Mar 21, 2014 California

Mine are all fine here in Cali

aj_tuna likes this.
  32. OldRickSputin

OldRickSputin Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2014 Illinois

Man, that's a real kick in the nuttsac!

You wait all year for this and then it'a bunk! It will be interesting to see how widespread this is.

Guess it goes to show, it takes more than a recipe to brew and bottle these correctly.

33. markdrinksbeer

markdrinksbeer Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Massachusetts

liquors 44?

34. Jobin_24

Jobin_24 Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Florida

I did notice a little hazing on the necks of some of the bottles.

35. gibgink

gibgink Savant (934) Oct 27, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

Any issues with bottles, just send them to me(unopened of course) for a final quality check. :slight_smile:

rckjr likes this.
  36. TIsherwood

TIsherwood Initiate (0) Nov 6, 2010 Maine

The store I work at was requested to send our two cases back because of mold. I personally looked at all the bottles. iMHO it's mildew from shitty storage conditions.

funhog likes this.
  37. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (472) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I stopped at 3 places this evening, and all 3 had it. I ended up getting 2 4-packs.
    1 bottle went into the fridge for tomorrow afternoon (I got a bottle of Pretty Things Cutie Pie 2xIPA (Belma and Citra hops) that was tonight's libation (very excellent) and the rest went straight down to the cellar.
    I just went down and checked, and there appears to be nothing wrong with any of the bottles.

38. ajpowell5

ajpowell5 Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2013 New Jersey

Any report of the ABV on the defective bottles? I've heard of people getting their hands on both 13.8% and 14.4%

EDIT: 14.2%

#38 ajpowell5, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  39. timotao

timotao Disciple (303) Sep 16, 2013 New York
    Trader

Can someone post a picture of a moldy bottle.

evilcatfish and funhog like this.
  40. deleted_user_586277

deleted_user_586277 Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2011

Pour your bottels into a glass let the head settle look for small particals on the top of the beer... tell me what you see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.