Delusion: Any Greenbush fans here?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by jaybes, Dec 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaybes

jaybes Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2014 Michigan

I've been seeking out and cellaring Delusion for the past year+ and loving it. It surprises me that there isn't more talk around here about it because it's one of the best BA beers I've ever had. Rivals Blacknote for me (maybe the cream stout aspect reminds me of it?). Curious how you all feel about Greenbush in general? (Besides their homemade mustard, which is the best thing ever).

Thoughts? Anyone score Delusion today?

Brianw508 likes this.
  2. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,497) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

It's funny for me that you posted this because there's a Delusion in WBAYDN and it reminded me how much I loved the one beer I've had from this brewery. I was stranded in the Chicago suburbs for a three day work seminar and the hotel bar had this beer called Greenbush Brewing Company Distorter. I absolutely loved it. One of the best Porters/Stouts I've had.

miwestcoaster likes this.
  3. Gorf_Minor

Gorf_Minor Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2015 Illinois

I had a 2014 Delusion templeton rye a couple months ago (cellared a year) and it was drinking phenomenally. Seriously reminded me of BCS vanilla rye subtler vanilla of course. Great beer. I recommend checking out the taproom and retail store in sawyer MI if you're a fan. You'll love it

summy670x likes this.
  4. gratefulbeerhead

gratefulbeerhead Zealot (578) Dec 7, 2009 Indiana

Been sitting on both some Delusion and BA Dystopia. Love both of these and will be said when they are gone from my cellar.

5. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

I've never had BA Delusion but I'm a big fan of BA Dystopia. Rage is the best Greenbush beer I've ever had.

6. Gorf_Minor

Gorf_Minor Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2015 Illinois

What type of barrel did they use for this years' delusion?

7. Krazedpgt

Krazedpgt Initiate (110) Dec 8, 2013 Minnesota

Koval and Templeton

8. vette-ss

vette-ss Initiate (181) Nov 5, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Yep, this is the beer that got me on Greenbush. If you have BA cabra perdida, have it side by side with delusion. Pretty sure cp is same base as delusion (pain??) with blueberry. I like it better than DH BA Tres.

9. jaybes

I cracked a fresh Delusion (Koval) today and it is HOT to say the least. Curious to try a side by side with last years. This years is a big mouth full of booze...almost a grain alcohol burn to it. Loved it.

10. atone315

atone315 Champion (893) Oct 8, 2008 Wisconsin

Love Greenbush, loved their spot in Sawyer. Never tried Delusion though, it's now on my radar.

11. 3DMan

3DMan Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2015 Michigan

Big Greenbush fan. Picked up my advent calendar, today's beer was a Koval Delusion. I have made many 3 hour runs for their Annex-only beers. Really really fortunate that my girlfriend loves their chicken meatball (now meatloaf) sandwich...

Brianw508 likes this.
  12. chicagogooner

chicagogooner Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2014 Illinois

Have not picked up Delusion but Village Idiot by them was fantastic this year. Good to see them get some love as a lot of their Annex only beers are awesome.

13. Willtravelforbeer

Willtravelforbeer Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2013 Michigan

I'm not a fan of their stuff. Their beers have an off taste to me. I also realize that taste is subjective though. More for you guys I guess.

14. tommyz

tommyz Initiate (0) May 28, 2007 Michigan

Delusion is by far their best beer imo...I really wish I liked the beer coming out of Greenbush...Other than Delusion (have not had ba distopia) I unfortunately find their offerings to be mediocre at best..I do keep trying to like them though..

15. Donco

Donco Devotee (486) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

Would love to trade for a bottle. PM me if you have one to trade!

16. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2012 Canada (ON)

Agreed. Idiot was superb.

I enjoy most of their stuff and really dug the advent calendar last year.

17. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Disciple (392) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

This pretty much sums up my feelings as well. Delusion is an excellent BA cream stout (although sometimes quite hot when fresh). But many of their other offerings I would classify as good. Haven't had much else I thought was great. But I do love the brewpub. The food is excellent.

18. cetherid

cetherid Devotee (429) Aug 23, 2010 Indiana

Similar here, too. I've been to Greenbush many times, mainly for the BBQ. BA Delusion is pretty decent. One of their better offerings, but most of their beers are average at best. I think they're one of the most overrated breweries in all of Michigan. If they spent half the time and effort on making good beer as they do on their marketing they might actually be good. It seems like they're too worried about merch sales and marketing than anything else.

AndyEdgar and awdturboiv like this.
  19. Brianw508

Brianw508 Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2013 Michigan

i've known the guys at greenbush for years and i really enjoy MOST beers. their brewpub is one of my favorites. i am not a BBA fan, but this one is really good. everyone has their opinion and i respect that. i've had some amazing beers, and i've had some duds. but overall they're excellent to me and i very well may end up with a barrel of delusion soon. there are only 15 for the state. fingers crossed

20. mychalg9

mychalg9 Champion (835) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois

Picked up a 4-pack yesterday, hoping to try it soon.

21. AndyEdgar

AndyEdgar Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2014 Illinois

I am 50-50 on their beer. Stopped by the Taproom and Annex on Sunday on the way home from 4 Elf party at Dark Horse and picked up some Koval and Templeton Delusion. Both are great and are yearly buys for me. Had a few others that were really good while at the brewery. Broken Promises, BA Vanderbush, Star Chicken and Emptiness were all really drinkable beers. Krampus and PHD...not so much. The best thing about Greenbush is probably their annex/restaurant itself. Cant wait to go back next spring/summer and hang out at the bocce courts, drink some good beer, and eat that amazing BBQ... seriously some of the best i have had in the north. The guy working the annex was super cool and sampled us small pours of anything we wanted. Even if their beer isn't your favorite, the place is definitely worth a stop by if you are near the MI/IN border, 2 hours in the car from the loop in Chicago.

summy670x likes this.
  22. Lansman

Lansman Aspirant (248) Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Trader

Skip Greenbush (and the crowds), go to Livery instead.

23. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Disciple (392) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

This times ∞

Lansman likes this.
  24. grr32

grr32 Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2012 Michigan

Can I get an Amen?!

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  25. The_Beer_Shark

The_Beer_Shark Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2014 Illinois

Delusion is one of my all time favorite BA beers. I hope the word never gets out on it so I can still get as much as I can. Also the Templeton BA version is leagues better than the Koval.

Cbuk1013, summy670x and Ckoz like this.
  26. MostlyMichiganBeerReview

MostlyMichiganBeerReview Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2015 Michigan

I want to try it but the cheapest i found it is $6.99 a 12 oz. and i will not pay that~ :slight_frown:

Gemini6 likes this.
  27. summy670x

summy670x Initiate (45) Mar 14, 2015 Illinois

Delusion is terrible, you can send your extras to me, I'll take care of them np

28. Pete811

Pete811 Initiate (0) May 13, 2013 Michigan

Both versions Delusion are top notch.. creaminess of both is wonderful

29. BlkZrx

BlkZrx Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2015 Indiana

Tried a Distorter, touted as a stoutish, porter. Was drinkable, but not anything I'd go out of my way for..

30. a_beckman25

a_beckman25 Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2013 Michigan

Good info here. The tribe has spoken and I'll be grabbing the 4 pack @ $20.99 I didn't pull the trigger on tomorrow.

31. adamant1912

adamant1912 Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2010 Michigan

I've only seen singles for about $7 floating around SE MI so I'd definitely grab that 4 pack. If you're near and care to share where..!

32. ColonelHopslam

ColonelHopslam Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2014 Michigan

Did a blind side by side last night with each barrel version. Koval was a chocolate milkshake and Templeton was sweet, hot and oaky. I enjoyed drinking the Koval over the Templeton.

33. 3DMan

3DMan Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2015 Michigan

Grabbed a split case from the annex yesterday and looking forward to trying both variations. Merry Xmas to me!

34. a_beckman25

1 4 pack left @ super liquor in Coldwater. $21.99

35. goast8127

goast8127 Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2010 Michigan

Anyone have insight on the availability and quantity remaining at the brewery? A friend will be traveling past there next week on his way back to metro Detroit for Christmas but I don't want to ask him to stop of his efforts will be fruitless.

36. Kevin-1989

Kevin-1989 Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2014 Illinois

Missed getting some this year. Only one place in Chicago has it left for $9.99/bottle. Not that desperate... Loved this beer last year!

37. Dad_of_Rad

Dad_of_Rad Initiate (181) Jan 24, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I was at Annex today. The cooler had a lot left, but I didn't ask how much they have in back. They were also doing growler fills but couldn't remember if it was only for mug club beers or everyone. I'd guess it'll be around.

goast8127 likes this.
  38. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription Disciple (315) Feb 9, 2009 Vermont
    Trader

I loved the brew, and the label too.

39. a_beckman25

Does anyone know if Pain hits distro at all? Really been wanting to try that as well but sounds like some of these are annex only

40. jaybes

To my knowledge Pain does not hit distro. But for what it's worth, it lives up to its name and you're not missing much. I love Greenbush but that beer is difficult to drink.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.