Democracy Brewing Opens for Business, Brewery Co-Op Celebrates No Fermentation w/o Representation

Discussion in 'New England' started by Jason, Jul 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason

Jason Founder (8,524) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Boston, Mass. (July 2018) – Democracy Brewing, the city’s first and only cooperatively owned and worker-operated brewery and brew-pub, has officially opened its doors for business at its 35 Temple Place location in Boston. With a German-style beer hall design and featuring a selection of craft brews created by Brewing Director Jason Taggart, Democracy Brewing offers a new and unique gathering place in the heart of Downtown Crossing, one of the city’s most trafficked neighborhoods.

“Democracy Brewing is the result of combining my background in organizing and economic justice with Jason’s brewing talent and creativity,” said James Razsa, CEO, Democracy Brewing. “By giving every one of our employees the opportunity to own part of the company, we’re hoping to show that a successful business can be democratically governed and worker-owned.”

After completing a year of working at Democracy Brewing, every employee will have the opportunity to purchase Class A shares of the company and receive profits relative to hours worked. All employee owners are eligible to run for a seat on a corporate board that will collaboratively develop the brewery as it grows. Additionally, building community in the neighborhood and the greater Boston area is core to the mission at Democracy Brewing, which is why the brewery will be hosting community organizations and fundraisers, engaging in community service, and promoting arts and culture through film screenings, live music and other events.

“James and I have found that if really want to get something done with folks, the best thing to do is have a beer with them and talk it through,” said Jason Taggart, Brewing Director, Democracy Brewing. “That’s where Democracy Brewing got its roots, and we’re excited to finally share that love of community – and beer – with our customers.”

Rounding out the Democracy Brewing team are Head Chef Ben Waxler and General Manager Courtney Bollinger, who bring over three decades of restaurant experience combined to bear for the brewery. Waxler’s menu will feature unique pub fare including Beer Cheese Nachos made with Taggart’s own Saison and a deep-fried Fluffernutter sandwich served with strawberry ice cream among other dishes. For more information on Democracy Brewing, visit www.democracybrewing.com

About Democracy Brewing
    Democracy Brewing is a unique brewery and brew-pub located in Downtown Crossing in Boston, MA, committed to demonstrating that a successful business can be democratically governed and worker-operated. Located at 35 Temple Place and serving fresh craft beers and a unique menu, the brewery is a perfect gathering place in the tradition of the meeting spaces and town halls that shaped the fight for democracy. For more information on Democracy Brewing, visit www.democracybrewing.com and follow the brewery on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

AlcahueteJ, hopley and rhino88888888 like this.
  2. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (441) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Interesting approach but I have a hard time mustering any optimism that it will last/grow given the competition and odd business approach. Curious where the large amount of capital came from to start the operation. They must have millions invested already. How does the original seed investor get paid back and over what period of time by the owner/workers? Beer and food menu very generic w/sporty organized labor themed names — look and feel of a 90s brewpub (oh how I wish Commonwealth was still around). Honestly wish them well and will definitely check it out.

meefmoff likes this.
  3. DucRacer900

DucRacer900 Initiate (92) Aug 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Thinking the same....and ditto on Commonwealth!

meefmoff likes this.
  4. yuppiescum

yuppiescum Initiate (47) Jun 4, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

The negativity in this town stinks.

DemocracyBrett likes this.
  5. chipawayboy

Trader

Ok Rick Pitino.

Rysk22 likes this.
  6. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (4,626) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

Hi!

I'll be in Boston for about 24 hours RIGHT by this place...anyone been there? Tried the beer? Thoughts?

Normally I'd definitely stop in based on proximity, but with such a short window of time I'd like to maximize my enjoyment...and I've never been to Boston!

If this helps...yeah, I like "NE IPA's" and pastry stouts. I'm what's wrong with craft beer, but this will hopefully help you give me advice!

@edbeerd

DucRacer900 likes this.
  7. Piels25

Piels25 Aspirant (205) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I’ve seen mixed reviews so far. Depending on your timing, I’d say you’re much better off walking a few blocks to the Trillium Garden on the Greenway or finding a nearby bar (The Merchant, Stoddard’s, Tip Tap Room) to sample a variety of northeast beers.

GuyFawkes and rhino88888888 like this.
  8. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (233) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I walk by this place on the way home from work; it always seems pretty lively. Will have to stop in sometime to check it out.

9. MrDarcy

MrDarcy Disciple (337) Aug 28, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Nice space that captures the German/Euro beer hall aesthetic.

The beers, on the other hand, are forgettable. Cautiously optimistic for them.

10. egrandfield

egrandfield Disciple (362) Mar 19, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

Enough people came here after school, so it makes sense. Hard to find a blindly optimistic person with a college degree. Either way, looking forward to trying this brewery.

11. Piels25

Piels25 Aspirant (205) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Nailed it.

MrDarcy likes this.
  12. chipawayboy

Trader

Went before the The The show at the Orpheum a few weeks ago. Great atmosphere - beers are as I thought they’d be - 90’s brewpub quality. Nothing great. I give the place 2-3 years.

DemocracyBrett likes this.
  13. egrandfield

egrandfield Disciple (362) Mar 19, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

Tried the brewery tonight. Good food and atmosphere—one of their sours is damn good and the 1919 stout is worth trying. Glad I went; can easily see myself going again.

rhino88888888 likes this.
  14. rhino88888888

rhino88888888 Initiate (120) Dec 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I finally made it to Democracy last night. As others mentioned, the beer hall atmosphere is great. Open and bright. Seat-yourself at long tables with table service. There's a big event room in the back also. It was full-up on a Wed night at 6:30pm.

No one has yet mentioned that they have a honest-to-goodness Irish pub-style snug attached to the bar! The barkeep said the snug was available to reservations to groups of up to 8 or so. That's the only snug I know about in Boston.

As far as the beers, they had a nice variety on tap - 2 IPAs, APA, märzen, kölsch, kettle sour, rauchbier & oatmeal stout on nitro. The flagship kölsch was very good - crisp, clean, and grainy. And the 1919 oatmeal stout on nitro was good, but sweeter than I was expecting for something billed as an "Irish-American" stout.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.