Denver Beer Co. to expand, open production facility, can and bottle

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by Todd, Oct 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,507) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Subscriber

Denver Beer Co. announces expansion and plans for new location

New space to include production facility, tasting room, and canning line.

Denver, Colo. (October 23, 2013) – Denver Beer Co. today announced a plans to open a production brewing facility in addition to the current Denver Beer Co. brewery located in downtown Denver at 1695 Platte Street. The Denver Beer Co. production facility will be located at 4455 Jason Street in Denver and will focus primarily on canning and bottling beer for distribution. Denver Beer Co. is under contract to own the 48,000 square foot warehouse which sits on three (3) acres of land. The production facility will begin by occupying one quarter, or 11,000 square feet, of the building and the existing tenants will continue to occupy the remaining portion.

The new Denver Beer Co production facility will house a new thirty (30) barrel brew house and four (4) sixty (60) barrel fermenters created by DME (Diversified Metal Engineering) out of Prince Edward Island, Canada. Further, the warehouse space will feature a canning line from Wild Goose Canning of Boulder, Colo. The new system will have an initial brewing capacity of 5,000 barrels per year, with room for future expansion in the remaining 37,000 square feet of the Jason Street property. The brew house is scheduled to arrive in April after the Craft Brewers Conference and brewing will commence immediately.

The Denver Beer Co production brew house will use existing Denver Beer Co. recipes and will continue the brewery’s tradition of brewing a variety of beers throughout the changing seasons. Offerings will include six-pack cans, seasonal mixed packs, and 22 oz. bombers of specialty batches. Unleaded Group, a local Denver design firm, will create the packaging and label designs.

“Our 6-pack cans will feature many of the existing Denver Beer Co. favorites such as Graham Cracker Porter, Kaffir Lime Wheat, and Hey! Pumpkin,” stated Charlie Berger, Co-founder of Denver Beer Co. “The 22 oz. bombers will give us the opportunity to showcase special seasonal favorites and limited releases.”

The canned and bottled offerings from Denver Beer Co. will be available in Denver area liquor stores starting in early summer, 2014. Distribution will begin with Denver metro locations and will expand to stores throughout the Front Range and mountain towns. Denver Beer Co. is currently interviewing distributors to support wholesale circulation.

“Ever since we opened our doors in August, 2011, Denver Beer Co. fans have been asking for cans and bottles,” stated Co-founder Patrick Crawford. “We are excited to start canning beers for all those hikers, bikers, rafters, skiers, Denverites, and beer lovers who like to drink good beer while they are out on adventures or enjoying a good meal.”

The new production facility will begin brewing in late April and Denver Beer Co anticipates the canning line to be running at full speed by May, 2014. The new facility will also house a tasting room and will be open for tours starting in early June, 2014.

The idea behind Denver Beer Co is simple. Good beer is best enjoyed with friends, fresh air, and a bit of adventurous spirit to sharpen the palate. Our craft brewery specializes in artisan and seasonal varieties of premium ales and lagers made from the best ingredients around. Brewed with traditional methods and innovative spirit, our beer is always fresh and flavorful. Our beer is serious fun. http://www.denverbeerco.com

###

2. MYJELLOMISFIT

MYJELLOMISFIT Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2007 Colorado

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo. No more packaged beer for retailers!!!

3. Prospero

Prospero Savant (944) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Just start weeding out the non-sellers. Take 'em off the shelf if they're no good.

4. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poo-Bah (3,457) May 19, 2005 Colorado

Probably why they're adding another pro-brewer. That's the power of my analytical abilities

As for shelf space, the more packages the better to fill the gap left by a certain distro that ruffles my feathers :rolling_eyes:

5. MarkyMOD

MarkyMOD Meyvn (1,136) Apr 5, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Six-packs of Graham Cracker Porter :grinning:

6. dauss

dauss Defender (662) Aug 9, 2003 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm glad they have stuck with their original mantra of never brewing the same beer twice.

MYJELLOMISFIT likes this.
  7. guyforget

guyforget Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2009 Colorado

im glad they realized that was unrealistic.

8. Prospero

Prospero Savant (944) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Realistic if they wanted to stay the same size.

Unrealistic if they wanted to grow.

And guessing at how successful they've been they have the money now to throw around expanding, which unfortunately for their original mantra means having flagship beers that are brewed consistently the same.

I have mixed feelings about this.

9. dauss

Subscriber Beer Trader

I was being serious. I've tasted their beers and they are all over the place, even if the name is the same.

SuperWhite92 likes this.
  10. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,213) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Hopefully this means Graham Cracker Porter being packaged and everything else...ummmm...yeah...

11. drlovemd87

drlovemd87 Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2009 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Probably gonna be that asshole, but I don't really want to see them expand or can/bottle. I like the atmosphere, but I don't like the beer enough to purchase it from a retail store.

12. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,131) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Fresh Incredible Pedal in 6 packs....I AM ALL IN. I don't care about anything else, personally.

13. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Crusader (741) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I've only had a citra pale ale from Denver Beer Co and it was great, but is this really the kind of crap they brew?

14. joshclauss

joshclauss Aspirant (243) Oct 31, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I just hope against hope that they invest in good packaging process. It hurts the whole industry the more beer that gets thrown out on shelves that is poorly packaged and goes flat or gets oxidized, and it makes me less likely to put money into local beer. River North White finally made it into cans, which is awesome...but I'm worried I'll be disappointed in the packaged product based on so many bad experiences with it over the last year, so I'm just picking up 6er's I can trust. And for all the times I pick up Odell, Avery, and OB, I'm also buying a ton of Firestone, Deschutes, Stone, and Boulevard, because I know what to expect. Newly packaging Colorado breweries are not doing a great job of earning my trust.

15. chango

chango Initiate (65) Mar 31, 2006 Colorado

The issues I see are with the mobile canning stuff. Your cans should not be squishy, dammit.
    The fact that they are building a facility with their own canning line is promising.
    That Kaffir Lime Wheat is gonna be a big hit come summer time.

FarmerTed likes this.
  16. joshclauss

joshclauss Aspirant (243) Oct 31, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Most of my issues have come from breweries packaging themselves, which is why I'm hopeful more breweries invest in some packaging consulting. A small investment that can really have a great long-term payoff for breweries gearing up to try to become regionals.

EDIT: Easy for me to say "small" investment I guess. Even substantial investment should be considered when it comes to the quality and (as important) consistency of the product. I may be in the minority, but it's already having an effect on my purchase patterns. Two or three lost cause six-packs will definitely condition you to go with what you know rather than continue trying new packaged stuff from ANY brewery, simply hoping you won't be disappointed.

17. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,213) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm thinking this might actually give them some consistency...at least that's what I'm hoping for. Disregarding the poor-man's DFH opinions that most of us have, they have put out some really good beers here and there amongst the philly cheese, beetle carcass, and smoked cattail recipes.
    Hopefully packaging some of these will force them to nail down a recipe and a process for everything. I'm trying to look at the bright side as I do like GCP and their pumpkin beers are pretty good, too.

18. dauss

Subscriber Beer Trader

Here's another DP article
    It sounds like their current system does not allow DBC to brew "really great, consistent beer".

19. Denver_Beer_Guy

Denver_Beer_Guy Initiate (46) Jun 4, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Was gonna say something similar. I don't quite get the fascination with them other than their location/atmoshpere. And how can they can all 7 of the IPAs they seem to always have on tap? Also rushed here to try the famous Graham Cracker Porter and don't quite "get" that one either. It's a good porter which I like, but doesn't really taste like graham crackers...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.