1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Denver Metro (and surrounding areas) for a week

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by VoodooBear, Apr 4, 2019.

1. VoodooBear

VoodooBear Devotee (443) Aug 25, 2012 Puerto Rico
    Trader

I'm going to Denver the first week of May and will be staying around the Sloan's Lake area but will have a car available the whole week. I've combed through all the threads I could find here and came up with a list of places to hit for drinking, eating and buying cans/bottles to take home.

Beer
    Avery Brewing
    Baere Brewing
    Bierstadt Lagerhaus
    Black Project
    Cerebral Brewing
    Comrade Brewing
    Crooked Stave
    Epic Brewing
    Great Divide Brewing
    Grimm Brothers Brewhouse
    New Belgium
    Odd13 Brewing
    Primitive Beer
    Trve
    Uhl's Brewing
    Weldwerks
    WestFax Brewing
    Wiley Roots
    Wynkoop Brewing

Spirits/Mead
    Laws Whiskey House
    Leopold Bros.
    Queen Bee Brews

Stores
    Argonaut
    Chambers Wine and Liquor
    Davidson's
    Grapevine Wine and Spirits
    Havana Park Liquor
    Highlands Wine and Liquor
    Mile High Wine and Spirits
    Molly's Spirits
    Mondo Vino
    Mr. B's Wine & Spirits
    Small Batch Liquors

Bars
    Bull and Bush
    Falling Rock
    Finn's Mannor
    First Draft
    Freshcraft
    Goed Zuur
    Tap and Handle

Food
    Asbury Provisions
    Backcountry Pizza
    Blue Pan
    D'Corazon
    Denver Biscuit Co.
    Domo
    Euclid Hall
    Fire on the Mountain
    Hops & Pie
    La Abeja
    No Vacancy Gaijin
    OwlBear
    Rhein Haus
    Sassafras
    Sherpa House
    Snooze
    The Universal

---

I think it's pretty comprehensive but is there anything I missed or anything I should just skip or take out? Any special events/releases happening from April 30th to May 6th that we should check out? Schedule is open all week except the evening of May 2nd (going to a concert), so any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

2. MtnSoup

MtnSoup Aspirant (279) May 20, 2013 Colorado

Great list. That about does it/covers it.

Unrelated to beer, but of interest for great food: I see you're from Puerto Rico, there's a killer restaurant group here in Denver led/owned by a Puerto Rican fella — you may want to check out some of his restaurants as they're some of the best in the city; highlights: Morin, Bar Dough and Senor Bear.

VoodooBear, dauss and Spaceman_Jer like this.
  3. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Disciple (346) Apr 29, 2012 Colorado

For distilleries add in Bear Creek and The Block.

4. Spaceman_Jer

Spaceman_Jer Defender (603) Jan 27, 2015 Colorado

Since you are staying in Sloan's Lake, Hogshead seems like a no-brainer if you like English styles. I'd also bump a few more local breweries higher on your list: Cannonball Creek in Golden, River North and Vine Street in Denver, Four Noses in Broomfield, and maybe Finkel and Garf in Boulder.

Obviously you are trying to consider a large range of options, but just keep in mind that some of your suggested places are fairly far away from where you'll be staying in Denver (Grimm Brothers, Weldwerks/Wiley Roots, and Tap and Handle for instance are all 50-65 miles away). If you do want to consider that kind of driving distance you might want to try a trip into the mountain towns along I-70. You are in Colorado after all! This would bring you to a couple of excellent breweries like Outer Range brewing in Frisco, Westbound and Down in Idaho Springs, and maybe Broken Compass in Breckenridge. That time of year can be the "mud season" in the mountains but coming from Puerto Rico I think it would still be worthwhile for you.

Food could go on and on forever depending on what you are interested in. Are you trying to have some of the best food in Denver, or are you more hoping to emphasize the "beer list" part of the restaurant? If the latter, then you have some good ones already in Backcountry, Euclid Hall, Hops & Pie.

MtnSoup and tylerstravis like this.
  5. dauss

dauss Zealot (583) Aug 9, 2003 Colorado
    Society Industry

A super intense bar/brewery crawl up Tennyson Street between 38th and 45th if you're going to not drive. Call to Arms, Grateful Gnome, De Steeg, Empourium and Flyteco. Hit up Berkeley Untapped, Atomic Cowboy, Hops & Pie and Small Batch Liquors.

If you're going southeast, Comrade, Grapevine Wine and Liquors followed by the Bull & Bush would be a good combination as well

Domingo likes this.
  6. VoodooBear

Trader

That's awesome, I'll check them out.

Bear Creek definitely looks good, I'll add it to the list. The Block looks cool but I don't see any whisky from them which is mostly what I'm looking for as far as spirits.

Sounds good, is there anything from the list I should bump to make room for those (maybe bigger/more well known stuff like New Belgium, Great Divide, etc.), or just add them to the list?

Yeah, I'm coming from far away and I'm not much of a traveler (shame on me, I know). I'm just trying to cram as much stuff as I can in that week since I probably won't be back for a long time. Like a "must visit if you have a week to spend" type of thing. I'm open to a few longer 1 or 2 hours drives but I'm trying to keep everything as close to Denver as possible for the most part.

I've built the list mostly from suggestions I've seen in threads here, so yeah the food places come along with good beer. Honestly I'm gonna hit a bunch of breweries and hopefully picking up some cans and bottles to bring back home so a huge taplist is not mandatory for food places. I'm open to whatever you guys think is a "must have". I'm not really into super high end dining. Mostly casual stuff but I'm OK with a few fancier meals as well.

7. Knobs303

Knobs303 Aspirant (261) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado

How long are you here for? 6 Months? :sunglasses: :beer:

8. VoodooBear

Trader

I had Flyteco on my list (I'm a huge aviation nut) but read some things that kinda sketched me out and no real outstanding reviews so I took it off. But if you think it's worth a look I'm down.

That's actually the plan the day we land for the afternoon/evening. I always look for a Five Guys when I travel (might be lame for some, but it's tradition... long story (and we don't have them here). and I saw there's one down there so that's that.

9. VoodooBear

Trader

Not long enough I would say. :rofl: I'm trying to make as long a list as I can. We're gonna do some sightseeing and some other stuff the friend I'm travelling with wants to do while we're there so my guess is I'm not going to hit every single spot but hopefully as many as I can!

Suggestions on what to cut from the list are welcome too.

10. Knobs303

Knobs303 Aspirant (261) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado

Glad you got the Joke. Hope you have a great time!!

VoodooBear likes this.
  11. Ratman197

Ratman197 Devotee (412) Aug 11, 2007 Colorado

You're missing Strange Craft Beer Company and Wits End Brewing both located togather on 13th and Zuni south of Mile High Stadium. Yhey are often overlooked but brew many great berrs in a wide variety of styles. Many medal winning beers as well.
    Another overlooked but fairly new brewery is Burns Family Artisan Ales. The owner formerly brewed at Bells and Kuhnhenn and other places and brews some fantastic beer!

VoodooBear likes this.
  12. Spaceman_Jer

You asked about what breweries to cut off your short list to make room for some others I suggested, and that is by definition a subjective exercise. It also depends heavily on what style of beers you prefer most (so maybe mention that for more "targeted" suggestions).

I would say that Wynkoop/Great Divide/New Belguim are probably not in the top tier anymore for most. They all are very important from a historical perspective. Epic would not be at the top of my list UNLESS you love coffee beers since they are still near the top of the game there. I've never heard of Uhl's, and Westfax is still new so I haven't heard too much chatter on that front.

Of everything you listed Cerebral, Bierstadt, Comrade, and to a slightly lesser extent Crooked Stave/Trve/Black Project are discussed the most for DENVER breweries.

VoodooBear likes this.
  13. VoodooBear

Trader

Into the list they go, thanks!

Honestly I'm not hard to please, I just love beer period. If I had to choose my favorite, overall broad stroke styles of beer, I'd say fruit beers, wheat beers and milk stouts. I like hops too but on more of a secondary plane.

That makes sense. I figured as much for New Belgium since it's become so big now but that's pretty much a lock for me because of the nostalgia. Fat Tire was pretty important for me when I was first getting into beer (as it was for a lot of people probably) so I'd just like to go there, take the tour and drink one at "the source". But yeah, this helps a lot! It's a big list so I'm gonna need all the help I can get. :grimacing:

14. travis224

travis224 Initiate (161) Jul 24, 2010 Texas

Not sure I'd say these are must visits in Denver on a week-long trip, but if you're going to Comrade and are a stout person, Copper Kettle is a less than 10-minute drive down the road and, IMO, their Mexican Chocolate Stout is top-notch--I believe it won a gold medal at GABF at some point? Not sure what their tap list will look like beginning of May but as of now they still have 2 versions of their barrel aged stout, Snowed In, which I think is also pretty badass. They're my neighborhood brewery and the bartenders are some of the nicest people around. Also, since you said your an aviation nut, Launch Pad Brewery is about 15 minutes from Copper Kettle in Aurora. They're a NASA themed brewery and do some pretty interesting stuff from time to time. If you go on a Sunday the owners usually tend bar and they're super friendly. Have fun!

VoodooBear likes this.
  15. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,448) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Odell now has a spot in Denver.

ManBearPat, VoodooBear and Jasonrm72 like this.
  16. Jasonrm72

Directly across the street from Block Distillery. And they tend to have at least a few beers that are tap room only.
    You did mention you're primarily looking for bourbon/whiskey for spirits, but give some of the gins a try, you may be pleasantly surprised.

VoodooBear likes this.
  17. VoodooBear

Trader

Say no more!

Might as well since I'm gonna be there anyway. Thanks!

Jasonrm72 likes this.
  18. Jasonrm72

And if you do end up in Boulder, I always have to add my favorite brewery up there: Wild Woods.
    On a sadder note, a great little distillery, Anvil, is closing up shop in Longmont. If you get a chance to stop in before they close, try their Swindler's Whiskey, it's actually a light whiskey aged in Oak Caribbean Rum Barrels giving a slight spice to it.
    Their gin and rum are also pretty good.

VoodooBear likes this.
  19. VoodooBear

Trader

I looked into this a little bit more and am thinking we might set aside a day for it. Go to Casey at noon and then hit Outer Range, Broken Compass and Westbound and Down on the way back. Now considering we're already setting aside a day for the trip up north to Greeley/Ft. Collins, is it worth it? Or is our time better spent sticking closer to Denver one or maybe both of those days?

20. travis224

The Frisco and Dillon area is gorgeous, along with the drive there. I've only been to Outer Range so can't really comment on the other breweries. If you want some beautiful sightseeing then I'd say it's worth it, but if you're just looking for exceptional beer on a week-long trip, you have a lot on your hands just in the Denver area. If I was heading out there, I'd probably spend a night in Dillon or Frisco. Dillon Dam is an awesome bar/brewery too. Beer's good but the restaurant itself, especially if you sit at the bar, is awesome. Also, make sure you check out Lake Dillon and take a ride on the road around the lake--incredibly beautiful. Keep in mind, depending on what you drive, that the ride there is all uphill, like 5,000 miles or so.

VoodooBear likes this.
  21. VoodooBear

Trader

While I'm definitely after great beer, we don't plan to spend 7 straight days jumping from bar to bar and brewery to brewery. :joy: And I do enjoy driving and sightseeing quite a bit too. So that definetly would be worth it.

As far as vehicle, just an "intermediate SUV" (or something like that) rental from Alamo so I'm expecting a RAV4, Tucson, Escape or something similar. Should be fine, right?

22. travis224

Yeah, that'll be fine. It's a beautiful part of the state and well worth the trip, IMO. I stayed in Dillon a couple of months ago and loved it. Frisco has more going on--shops, restaurants, and things-- but Dillon has a beautiful lake and a brewery, Pug Ryan's, right next to it. Good brewery and food. Plus, you could go to Breckenridge Distillery, which is pretty close. They have some great whiskey, but it ain't cheap.

VoodooBear likes this.
  23. Rajaholick

Rajaholick Initiate (144) Jan 9, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

Coming into Denver this weekend. Any recommendations on where I can get Casey on tap or by the bottle?

24. JakeT469

JakeT469 Aspirant (275) Jan 13, 2012 Colorado

Staying within the Denver metro area...

Bottles:
    -Small Batch
    -Mr. B’s
    -Grapevine
    -Littles

Draft (might not necessarily have Casey on tap this wknd but bars that typically carry them):
    -Falling Rock
    -Hops & Pie
    -Finns Manor
    -Freshcraft

VoodooBear and Rajaholick like this.
  25. Resuin

Resuin Meyvn (1,258) Jun 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

What are some Denver area breweries with barrel aged stouts available? I see someone mentioned Copper Kettle and then obviously Avery. Thanks in advance!

26. Steve_0

Steve_0 Initiate (190) Mar 14, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Probably too many to name honestly, but Im sure everyone can give you some of the better options.

27. Resuin

Trader

Cool, that would be great. Ideally looking for drafts available at breweries, but bottles work too.

28. JakeT469

JakeT469 Aspirant (275) Jan 13, 2012 Colorado

While they’re not stouts, Cerebral has 3 really good BA Porters available right now.

VoodooBear and Resuin like this.
  29. dauss

dauss Zealot (583) Aug 9, 2003 Colorado
    Society Industry

If you'll be in Denver on April 27 - end of month, Comrade is releasing their BA imperial Stout and BA variants on draft. It's the only time of year to get BA beers from Comrade

30. Resuin

Trader

I arrive on April 27, so this is great, thanks!

VoodooBear likes this.
  31. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,291) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Comrade is going to be THE place to be on 4/27.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  32. VoodooBear

Trader

Well I'm gonna be there on the 29th, hopefully there's something left.

33. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,291) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

There should be plenty. They don't play around with tiny batches of most stuff.

VoodooBear likes this.
  34. VoodooBear

Trader

Forgot to ask: I'm not too big on buying 4 and 6 packs. Do the stores I listed allow singles or are there any other places I should check out instead that do that or have "build your own six pack" type of things going on?

35. Spaceman_Jer

Davidsons has a sizeable "singles" section that I hit up often enough, but that location isn't very convenient to where you are staying. If you find yourself making a Boulder trip, Hazel's Beverage World has a really wide selection of single beers as well.

I never shop on the side of town around Sloan's Lake, so hopefully others can weigh in on whether or not places like Small Batch, Mr. B's, Mile High, and Highlands have those options.

VoodooBear likes this.
  36. VoodooBear

Trader