Denver trip - brewery suggestions, RR/Casey, airport?

Discussion in 'US - West' started by Lucular, Aug 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucular

Lucular Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Society Trader

I'll be in Denver next weekend and have a few questions.

What are the best breweries if I want to try flights? Looking at BA reviews/Yelp I'm leaning towards Cerebral and Crooked Stave.

What are the best craft beer bars if I want to find Russian River and/or Casey on tap?

What places have the best beer on tap at the airport?

Thanks for the help!

2. stevefenster

stevefenster Mar 29, 2016 Colorado

1. Cerebral is a great one, if you're looking for NE IPAs. Weldwerks and Odd 13 also have super flexible flight options if you have a car.
    2. Falling Rock has Pliny on tap almost all the time, so that's a good bet. Walter's just tapped Pliny and Blind Pig this week, but probably worth checking the taplist again before you go there to see if it lasted. Freshcraft frequently has a RR beer on tap as well.
    3. Can't help you there, haha. The Denver airport sucks for craft beer.

Zonian1 and Lucular like this.
  3. stevefenster

stevefenster Mar 29, 2016 Colorado

Oh, sorry... Finding Casey on tap is going to be tricky. Goed Zuur might be a good place to try... Falling Rock and Finn's Manor will frequently have bottles you can buy for on-site consumption.

4. rikarmstrong

rikarmstrong May 14, 2015 Colorado

For question #3, Root Down in Terminal C is going to be your best bet.

There is a New Belgium bar in the bowels of Terminal B, but honestly it's not really worth the walk.

Terminal A has the Denver Chophouse, which is enough to get you by.

This time next year there will be a Great Divide taproom in Terminal C.

Lucular and tylerstravis like this.
  5. clusterfolk

clusterfolk Jun 20, 2014 Colorado

For DIA... New Belgium Hub in Terminal B has a great NB selection, and in Terminal C you have Root Down and Timberline both have pretty good selection for way too much $$. There is apparently a Great Divide location opening up in Terminal C too, but I'm not sure when it opens.

Domingo and Lucular like this.
  6. clusterfolk

clusterfolk Jun 20, 2014 Colorado

Jinx!

7. Lucular

Lucular Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Society Trader

Thanks! Appreciate the suggestions!

8. Domingo

Domingo Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

We don't exactly have MSP's Stone Arch, but DIA's beer selection is probably in the top 5 in the country.

9. aceboogie

aceboogie Apr 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Great suggestions. Would I be able to find Casey at any shops in Denver? What are some of your favorite bottle shops?

10. Justins123

Justins123 Feb 7, 2016 Colorado

I love Stone Arch. I always get to MSP early to leave plenty of time for that place. A guy there turned me on to Fair State Mirror Universe. Great beer.

Whenever I hit Root Down at DEN there's an initial feeling of disappointment with the tap list followed by relief once I see they still have Funkwerks Saison available.

denver10 likes this.
  11. Domingo

Domingo Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I have to pass through MSP for work pretty regularly and I do the same. Never less than a 90-minute layover if I can help it. Tough to beat an airport bar with 30 local taps and an additional selection of 30 local bottles/cans. There are places with more "curated" lists, but I haven't seen an airport bar with that kind of local selection anywhere else in the world.

12. kdub15

kdub15 Dec 7, 2017 California
    Trader

when i was there last week, the Mr. B's in Stapleton had some bottles of Casey

13. dauss

dauss Aug 9, 2003 Colorado

Saw several bottles of Casey at Grapevine Wine and Spirits

14. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard May 19, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Mile High Wine/Spirits has Casey regularly. A bit off the beaten path, though.
    The bigger stores always have RR and Crooked Stave. I usually suggest Molly's for outta towners, since it's right off of I-70. Small Batch is fairly close to I-70 as well.

15. dbelford

dbelford Nov 7, 2017 Illinois

Just returned from Denver - was there 8/14-8/18. We found Russian River Blind Pig on tap at Freshcraft. As far at the airport -- Timberline Steaks and Grille had a decent craft list, I think they were advertising 50+ Colorado beers available.

16. omlooper

omlooper Apr 25, 2008 Missouri
    Deactivated

Hmmm.... you mention Russian River, Casey, Crooked Stave and Cerebral. All make great beers but the common theme is... sours?

If that's the case you really need to go to Goed Zuur, a really exceptional beer bar that specializes in sours. And, Goed Zuur also has the food to stand up to the sour beers.

Funky cheese!

sharpski likes this.
  17. Steve_0

Steve_0 Mar 14, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Not to derail, but the Mikkeller bar in CPH is pretty insane. I just stumbled upon it a few months ago and ended up having two Hill Farmstead saisons on tap. Not to mention the large list of mikkeller beers available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.