Des Moines Beer Run

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by TheCondor, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheCondor

TheCondor Dec 29, 2011 Missouri

What are some of the good beers available in Des Moines from the breweries in MN and WI? I have noticed a lot of those breweries do not reach all the way down to KC, but they may distribute to Des Moines. DM is only four hours or so, depending on what is available there that is not here I may have to make a road trip. Can any of you all think of anything in particular off the top of your head? Thanks
  2. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Off the top of my head...

Lakefront - WI
    Sprecher - WI
    Chameleon -WI
    Brau Brothers -MN
    Schell's - MN

No New Glarus or Surly, so nothing too amazing as far as WI or MN beers go Iowa, uunfortunately.
    tgchief likes this.
  3. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

If you're willing to make the trip to DSM though, it would be well worth your trip to stop by El Bait Shop and fill a growler with some Golden Nugget or PseudoSue from local Iowa brewery, Toppling Goliath. Those 2 beers would probably blow any WI or MN beer that you can get here waaay out of the water. Just sayin.
  4. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

Pseudo Sue is phenomenal!
    tgchief likes this.
  5. Hawkharvs

Hawkharvs Sep 9, 2012 Iowa

Besides Surly and NG, the only breweries I seek out are Schell and Summit. The above posters are yourself a favor and get some Toppling Goliath from El Bait Shop in Des Moines.
    tgchief likes this.
  6. mdwalsh

mdwalsh Feb 1, 2009 Iowa

Can you get Peace Tree? If not I would get that for sure, also Confluence. Otherwise, what those above have said...
  7. Rob-P

Rob-P Feb 29, 2012 Iowa

You could use to compare the distribution.

Summit Saga is about the only beer from them that I've liked, but I like it quite a bit...and it is relatively inexpensive.

Also, another vote for TG.
    tgchief and Hawkharvs like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!