Deschutes - Fresh Squeezed IPA (Citra IPA)

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BottleCaps80, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Defender (620) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

Would love to try this when it comes out.

From Beer Pulse: "Deschutes will replace its spring offering in the high-end 22 oz. Bond Street Series, Hop in the Dark, with Fresh-Squeezed IPA. Like so many popular IPAs in the modern era, this one focuses on Citra hops. The beer description reads, “Three types of malt, one type of bittering hop and a whole lot of Citra hops.” The label artwork has been submitted to the TTB so we will see it soon though Randles notes there is a subsequent label still to come that will be the final version."

http://beerpulse.com/2013/03/deschu...new-tanks-fresh-squeezed-ipa-class-of-88-056/

2. MADhombrewer

MADhombrewer Zealot (507) Jun 4, 2008 Oregon

Sounds good to me. I wasn't a big fan of Hop in the Dark.

denver10 and EyePeeAyBryan like this.
  3. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (194) Oct 23, 2012 Minnesota

[Insert butt-hurt BAs bitching and moaning about another IPA on the market, here.]

4. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,080) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Can't wait. The version I tried at their Portland pub last year was delicious.

Lordkrystic likes this.
  5. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Poo-Bah (1,801) Apr 25, 2012 Virginia

Formulating my ISO thread...

Benish likes this.
  6. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,619) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

I can not wait.

7. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Disciple (325) Oct 21, 2009 Connecticut

I for 1 am bummed out to hear this. I'm sure it will be a great ipa but Hop in the Dark was my favorite Black IPA! Kind of sucks.

sholle likes this.
  8. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,624) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

Looking forward to it.

ChanChan likes this.
  9. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2008 California

I'll give it a whirl, not much of a fan of Deschutes' hoppy beers though.

10. williamjbauer

williamjbauer Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2012 Colorado

Like the name, love the hops

11. Bond111

Bond111 Initiate (175) Feb 14, 2011 Minnesota

Bring it on!!!! I didn't love Hop in the Dark, but I don't dig Black IPA's in general. It was decent for what it is. I do appreciate the innovation behind B-ipas though.

12. JohnQ

JohnQ Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2012 California

Am also kind of a fan of Deschutes and not a big fan of BIPA.But it's something I'll look out for.

13. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,502) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Likewise (though I've enjoyed the hop henge), but the version of the fresh squeezed I got to sample at OBF 2010 was easily the best IPA I've ever had from Deschutes. Of course that was 3 years ago, and I'm sure they've changed up the recipe somewhat since then, but I'm still optimistic that the current version will be good.

ramnuts likes this.
  14. Frankinstiener

Frankinstiener Aspirant (204) Jul 28, 2009 Illinois

will this make it's way to Illinois? Haven't seen any of that series yet, just their normal line up.

15. ChanChan

ChanChan Devotee (434) Dec 12, 2009 California

I hope this is as good as it sounds!!
    mmmmmmh, citra!!
    [​IMG]

Mersh, alex_hart, YogiBeer and 3 others like this.
  16. litheum94

litheum94 Champion (814) Dec 29, 2008 California

I'm sure this will be good, and it damn well better be. Hop in the Dark is one of my favorite Black IPAs. I hope they still release it every once in a while.

17. AugiePrimrose

AugiePrimrose Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2009 Illinois

Hop Henge is the current release in the Bond Street Series and definitely made it's way to Illinois. I bought some in dirty ol' East Dubuque...lol.

Sad to see Hop In the Dark go. I liked it and wish they would make Red Chair a year round with Hop In the Dark being a winter seasonal. On the other hand, I can't wait to try this Fresh-Squeezed IPA...sounds like it will be a Deschutes version of all my favorite IPA's.

FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  18. Frankinstiener

Frankinstiener Aspirant (204) Jul 28, 2009 Illinois

Oh ok, I've seen Hop Henge, I thought thought that was a different series. Good old dirty East Dubuque, Ive been there a few time while going to Galena or Chestnut mountain. Family Liquors? haha

19. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2009 Missouri

I'm sure we'll see Hop In The Dark again another year, although it is top in the class of black ipa's & most consider it the lead example, the market is saturated with them now & they're smart to change things up & wait for the crowd to demand it comes back. Deschutes is just doin' what they do & keep things fresh!

snohojimbo likes this.
  20. estlinska

estlinska Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2010 Arkansas

This is great news! I am making my first PDX trip this May and as an unabashed Hop Head, I will probably try to drown myself primarily in IPAs.

21. ToriBug13

ToriBug13 Initiate (0) May 10, 2013 California

22. DmouthCaliBrewz

DmouthCaliBrewz Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2013 New Hampshire

Same. Did they have it on Draught or cask? I tried it from the cask and it was mind blowing. But could have just been because it was on cask and dangerously fresh. I loved it though, and am eager to see if I feel the same way about it in bottles.

ramnuts likes this.
  23. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Meyvn (1,056) Mar 1, 2009 California

Excited for sure. Skeptical because I've never had a great hoppy beer from Deschutes.

KWMiles likes this.
  24. PlinyBeMiney

PlinyBeMiney Aspirant (247) Jan 12, 2011 California
    Trader

I had the same experience when I tried it myself. This is a great beer and will definitely be seeking it out.

25. MackayClanBrewin

MackayClanBrewin Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2011 Texas

If rather have the Citra IPA anyways. I prefer Alaskan Black IPA instead of Hop in the Dark anyways.

HoptimusMax1mus likes this.
  26. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (9,420) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Trader

Knowing MO beer distributors, they will make sure it hangs for a month in a warehouse before it hits SW Mizzou. Prove me wrong please

27. FunkyMacGroovin

FunkyMacGroovin Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2009 California

Is this still going to happen? A brand new batch of Hop Henge showed up in NorCal in the last few weeks.

kemoarps likes this.
  28. onefalsemove711

onefalsemove711 Initiate (140) Jul 20, 2011 California

Apparently, you've never had Hop Trip or Red Chair. Amazing stuff!

29. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Meyvn (1,056) Mar 1, 2009 California

Been drinking Red Chair since it originally came out as 22oz bottles at a higher ABV and labeled as a IPA. Have had Hop Trip numerous times over quite a few years now. Good brews. Nothing more, nothing less. Subjective. I can see why others find them better than I do.

30. onefalsemove711

onefalsemove711 Initiate (140) Jul 20, 2011 California

Fair enough. Personally, I think they're great and eagerly await their release each year. Cheers!

kemoarps likes this.
  31. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Meyvn (1,485) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska
    Trader

This is exciting. I never got to try Hop In The Dark, which is disappointing because I like so-called black IPAs, but there are a few others that I really enjoy already, like Grainstorm and Wookey Jack.

Also, I loved Hop Henge, so the new one sounds pretty fantastic. Also, I have yet to try a beer from Deschutes that I didn't like.

kemoarps likes this.
  32. TicoCali

TicoCali Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2010 California

Agreed on Red Chair not on Hop Trip but yes to each their own.

33. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,624) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

AKA when it used to be better.

mhenson42 and RBassSFHOPit2ME like this.
  34. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,068) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Still happening, there was a notice about it at the Bond Street pub in Bend over the weekend. Bottles should be out in June.

denver10 likes this.
  35. flexabull

flexabull Poo-Bah (2,348) Mar 9, 2006 California

Tried Fresh Squeezeed last year in Bend, I found the smell to be quite a bit better than the taste. I'd certainly like to try it again though.

36. HarmonMW

HarmonMW Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2012 Missouri

I had this from a cask while visiting PDX back in January, and remember really enjoying it. I'd love to try it again and see if it's as good as I remember.

37. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,068) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Same thing over the weekend. I thought it smelled awesome but totally fell off with the flavor.

38. flexabull

flexabull Poo-Bah (2,348) Mar 9, 2006 California

Bummer, sounds like it hasn't really changed much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.