Deschutes reserve club

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by crusian, Aug 21, 2019.

1. crusian

crusian Crusader (788) May 14, 2010 Oregon
    Trader

Anyone doing this? Thoughts?

2. NWer

NWer Champion (809) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

Yes. I "won". I don't know what a big deal that is since I don't know how many tried, but It sounds interesting, lots of benefits and their seasonals are spot-on so what can go wrong? Plus, it's an excuse to go to PDX as if I needed that.

vurt likes this.
  3. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,177) Oct 11, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Society Trader

Any more details you can share, either about the beers or the additional benefits? The website indicates “you will get hand-selected reserve beers and access to barrel-aged beer that no one else has (well maybe Gary Fish does).” Maybe I’m jaded, but I interpret that as the allotment includes Abyss, Dissident, etc. with the option to buy more exclusive stuff.

4. NWer

There was no additional information in the e-mail I got today. Just that I'm among the winners with details in a couple of days when they get their Reserve Club website up and running.

Noah_Aimar, vurt and sharpski like this.
  5. PNW_Whalez

PNW_Whalez Initiate (44) Feb 15, 2016 Washington
    Trader

I was selected today. It would be nice if they provided some examples of the beers included, but "single and small batch barrel-aged beer" is certainly appealing...

Noah_Aimar, sharpski and NWer like this.
  6. crusian

Trader

Sounds like everyone "got in"...
    Anyone not? It said 200 spots open...

7. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Zealot (592) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

I got in, too. Hopefully the single and small batch beers are more examples of what the Pub Exclusives were. I think I liked just about all of those I tried.

8. PNW_Whalez

Trader

3 out of 7 on the current BTP post (including OP) got in.

9. DB_IT_2005

DB_IT_2005 Initiate (25) Aug 21, 2019 Oregon

Hey there. We had a really great response to our initial membership. A lot more didn't get drawn than did, for the first 200 memberships.

The main reason we capped the membership is so we can offer a couple of single barrel bottlings as part of each fulfillment.

10. crusian

Trader

Wassat?

11. dphi

dphi Initiate (120) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

Beer Tasting Portland facebook group

I was interested in this but really wanted to see some examples of future releases first. Ended up jumping on the Little Beast club instead.

12. crusian

Trader

Thanks! No facebook for me. Lol

kemoarps likes this.
  13. crusian

Trader

Am I reading this right that there are now only 2 club exclusive beers?
    That's what the sign up page implies.

14. PNW_Whalez

Trader

@DB_IT_2005 Any insight on number of member-exclusive offerings vs. regular/seasonal offerings per shipment?

15. crusian

Trader

Anyone get anything other than a welcome email? Seems like a major lack of communication.

16. jason_nwx

I imagine something will come out closer to 10/19, when the Bend pickup party happens.

17. crusian

Trader

I suppose... and hope... but this warehouse thing seems like something the club should know about. Not read about on newschool.

ballardbeer likes this.
  18. PNW_Whalez

Trader

I just looked and the welcome email was sent out late August. Would definitely like to hear more about what we're paying for......

19. crusian

Trader

Yeah, first pickup and a party is supposed to be in a week?

20. PNW_Whalez

Trader

Sent them a message on FB and I was left on "seen" this afternoon. I'm guessing (hoping) an update will go out this week.

21. beckirk

beckirk Disciple (369) Nov 15, 2008 Oregon

This is from an email I got on October 10.

Hello Pioneer Members!

The time has finally come… our first Deschutes Reserve Club pick up party is next Saturday, October 19! We are busy waxing the last few club bottles and party prepping. For those of you wondering… We are going for the surprise factor in your first fulfillment, so no peeking! We aren’t going to let you in on our secrets of what’s in the box ahead of time, so you get to be stoked when you pick up your order!

Here are a few details:
    • The party is open house style from 2:00-5:00, October 19
    • The address is 399 SW Shevlin Hixon Dr, Bend, OR 97702 Please see map below! (not the Tasting Room). This is what we lovingly refer to as “Oakland,” the home of all of the barrel aged goodness that you will get to experience first-hand!
    • We will have a few appetizers for you to munch on while sampling some Reserve Beers. Rumor has it that one will be straight from the barrel! WHAT?!
    • We will also have additional Reserves available for purchase at a discount if you are interested.

deadwolfbones and jason_nwx like this.
  22. jason_nwx

I was about to say that must have gone just to people who were picking up in Bend (I'm picking up in Portland), went to my email to double check, and found one for us Portland people:

Hello Pioneer Members!

It’s getting close… our Portland Reserve Club pick up party is on Saturday, November 2! We sent out the first orders to shipping members and they are stoked! For those of you wondering… we are going for the surprise factor in your first fulfillment, so no peeking!

Here are a few details:
    • The party is open house style from 11:00-2:00, November 2, at our Portland Pub (210 NW 11th Ave, Portland, OR 97209)
    • We will have a few appetizers for you to munch on while sampling some Reserve beers, rumor has it that one will be straight from the barrel! WHAT?!
    • We will also have club member pricing if you want to grab a few extra bottles of what is included in your first fulfillment. And we're bringing a couple of extras from Bend, that you can sample and purchase at club member pricing.

Also, The Abyss 2019 Celebration is on Friday, November 1st. Two fun events, 2 days in a row! We aren't including Abyss 2019 or the two variants in this club fulfillment, so head to the pub on Friday to be the first to get your hands on the 2019 releases!

23. beckirk

beckirk Disciple (369) Nov 15, 2008 Oregon

Glad you found it!

jason_nwx likes this.
  24. jason_nwx

Ha! Yes, I mis-spoke though. I said found but what I meant is I went to my mail and it was a brand new message there waiting for me. So I'm assuming everyone on the Portland list should see one now.

25. PNW_Whalez

Trader

26. NWer

Kudos to Deschutes. The bottles and trinkets were fantastic. The tastings were fun. My only complaint is the space they ushered us in to was rather cramped. Open it up more for us next time please.

kemoarps, beertunes and jason_nwx like this.
  27. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (5,066) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

No details, please?

28. NWer

We went to a small area - small considering the number of people. There we tasted Black Butte 3, Collage 1 and Fresh Funk with snacks. There we had an opportunity to purchase extras. I chose to purchase a couple of BB3s.
    We then toured the back for a tour by the head brewer - can't remember his name - where we got a tasting of Abyss 2019 straight from the barrel. Then we picked up our package which consisted of a $10 gift certificate, two tiku glasses, 2 coupons for a taster tray. And...
    1 - Black Butte xxvii
    1 - Abyss 2012
    1 - Black Butte 3
    1 - Tempranillo Flanders
    1 - Cultural Diversity
    1 - Family Tree Peach Sour
    1 - Reserve Club Imp Stout
    1 - Reserve Club Flanders style red ale
    and a Jubelale to fill out the case

29. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (5,066) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

Thank for for the details! That sounds like a real fun time! Abyss straight from the barrel must have been a treat. That's a nice selection of bottles too.

There might be bigger and more in your face stouts today, but back in 2007, Abyss was a counterpoint to BCS and it's subtle punch to your throat, showing that the choice to keep only a portion of the final beer barrel aged could legitimately be made on artistic grounds.

kemoarps, sharpski and NWer like this.
  30. jason_nwx

Sadly I didn’t have the time to stick around for the tour, but I think Deschutes did a really good job with this. I bought a couple extra Black Butte 3s, too, a Collage #1, and a Fresh Funk.

Don’t forget the fancy crate all the beers came in! The two engraved, wooden coasters are really nice, too.

kemoarps, DefenCorps and NWer like this.
  31. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,688) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Now I'm confused. I thought this was a Deschutes event... But this part of your post reads more like a Grape Lotion release event.

kemoarps and beertunes like this.
  32. jason_nwx

I've never been to one - do they do fancy woodcutting things?

33. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,568) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

They do have a Lumberjack as a mascot.

kemoarps likes this.
  34. jason_nwx

NWer likes this.
  35. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,688) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Their BBDS release came in a special box with all kinds of special Schwag (which they tauted as part of the reason for the high price tag). I was just making fun, as unlike GN, Descutes club releases seemed to focus on the beer, with the coasters and wood crate just a bonus.

#35 John_M, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  36. weaverr

weaverr Initiate (191) Jun 10, 2008 California

Looking at the website, it says you get 6 bottles in April and October. Was this bigger drop a reward for inaugural members?

37. crusian

Trader

Wasnt able to make it, had to take a redeye out due to family emergency. Sorry missed it. Hopefully i can taste stuff Thursday or friday when i pick up?

beertunes likes this.
  38. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,331) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Curious, as I'm not a member. The reference to BB^3 is the current batch, not the original? I ask given I see reference to Collage #1 and Abyss 2012. TIA

39. NWer

jakecattleco likes this.
  40. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,331) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Thx @NWer, second batch (500mL bottles) as the first one was in 22oz bombers. Haven't tasted batch 2, but I'm hoping it's as tasty as the first.