Deschutes The Abyss: Rye Whiskey and Cognac Editions

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by breadwinner, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RacerX5k

RacerX5k Devotee (413) Feb 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

You are familiar with lambic?
    Look: *most* beer does not get better with age. But some do.[/QUOTE]

Yes we are familiar with how terribly boring Lambics and most Belgians in general are. Thank you. We who drink real beer believe that the brewer should know best when their beer is best and should bottle at that time. The best brewers know this. That is why we believe that beer changes but does not improve with age. But I'm just messin' with you. Have a nice weekend. Enjoy your Lambic.

2. breadwinner

breadwinner Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2014 California

Yes we are familiar with how terribly boring Lambics and most Belgians in general are. Thank you. We who drink real beer believe that the brewer should know best when their beer is best and should bottle at that time. The best brewers know this. That is why we believe that beer changes but does not improve with age. But I'm just messin' with you. Have a nice weekend. Enjoy your Lambic.[/QUOTE]

:grimacing:

There are no words.

maltmaster420 and BaronRVH like this.
  3. RacerX5k

Trader

:grimacing:

There are no words.[/QUOTE]

You're welcome. Why? Because the way you think is the only way? Some of us just drink craft because we like it, not because it's cool, or exclusive, or a hobby, or we like to age beer. But I do enjoy good conversation. Pour me a Belgian that doesn't annoy me or an old beer side by side that's better then it's fresh counterpart and you'll be the first. Now respect my opinion like I respect yours and go enjoy your weekend. Is that enough words for you?

4. breadwinner

Just stop.

5. newjack

newjack Initiate (0) Aug 22, 2014 Illinois

@breadwinner
    Sounds like a certain Racer is butt hurt that he can not appreciate truly great beers.

6. breadwinner

I mean, to each their own, for sure. Saying, "Eh, lambics just don't do it for me" is one thing. But "Pour me a Belgian that doesn't annoy me"? I mean, there's no way to respond to that. If you want to blatantly disregard entire countries and their experiences with brewing (i.e., lambic with 20-30 year shelf life), fine, I guess. It doesn't make it any less a conversation stopper, nor any less ignorant.

And, yes, I drink lambic because it's cool, exclusive, and, incidentally, not real beer. Or so I've been told. Sigh.

Point is, age beer or don't. Drink certain styles or don't. Whatever. Mostly, just relax and have a beer.

BaronRVH and neurobot01 like this.
  7. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Crusader (794) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Trader

Always loved The Abyss because it was the first big beer I had ever tried... but I was only wowed the very first time I had it and then again with the bottle I aged 3 and a half years

muchloveforhops3 likes this.
  8. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

First... who is "we"? How many of you are hiding behind that avatar?

Honestly, I feel bad that you find beers like lambic, gueuze, quad, etc--beers that, when done well, are amazingly complex and full of depth of flavor--"boring". I don't personally mind that you feel this way, because I understand that taste is an individual, subjective thing. Not all people will like all the same things.

But I do feel that you might be missing out on an entire world of beer. But I dunno... maybe it's just not "real". I'm not even sure what that means.

It's interesting to see someone who, not 10 minutes prior, posted a scree that involved talking about "real beer" and the "best brewers" would then turn around and feign indignance about their opinion not being respected for being different. Yeah, I know you capped your prior post off with a "I'm just messin' with you", but your main message carries more weight than a throw-away 'just kidding!' tacked on the end.

You're not the only one who drinks craft beer "because you like it". And I'd think that someone who wanted to get high and mighty about there not being only one way to enjoy beer would understand that other people might drink "boring" lambics and Belgian beers because they like them, rather than any of the strawman reasons like being "cool" or "exclusive".

While you pay lip service to enjoying "good conversation", neither of your posts really indicate anything other than getting enjoyment out of being antagonistic. But as long as you have it all figured out and can find happiness in beer, I suppose I'm good. Enjoy your "real" beer.

9. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Crusader (794) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Trader

whoa it's getting all chippy up in herrrr...

10. RacerX5k

Trader

Glad you're good now. We respect all opinions, even yours. Even when they're wrong. Have a nice weekend. See ya.

11. newjack

I also laughed at the "we".
    Maybe @RacerX5k is apart of such an exclusive bottle sharing Club that "we" (the rest of us with simple pallets)
    Would never be welcomed to join.

12. newjack

Even if I'm wrong. Have a nice weekend. See ya

RacerX5k and breadwinner like this.
  13. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,993) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

And the things I don't like about this site.... Find a bridge

14. RacerX5k

Trader

Not real sure what this means but I think I like it? You mean a bridge to my island? It's a good time everyone is welcome. Most people leave laughing. Thanks guys for helping me kill an incredibly boring day at the office when I could be home drinking a beer then sleeping. Everyone have a great weekend, this time I am seriously outta here, don't work too hard and enjoy whatever beer it is you enjoy.

breadwinner likes this.
  15. HopBroker

HopBroker Disciple (372) Jun 5, 2015 Washington
    Trader

HAHA I love trolls. I also love deschutes. And the idea of abyss in cognac barrels. Have a nice weekend. See ya

16. Shrdder253

Shrdder253 Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2015 Washington

Gonna have to disagree here. Many breweries suggest letting some of their beers condition at cellar temp. Garrett Oliver actually tells a story in his book about the brewers at Anchor laughing at him for drinking Old Foghorn fresh. Quoting them in saying, "That beer needs at least two years before it's ready".

Depending on the style, you really should let it mellow for a few years. It also wouldn't make much sense for Deschutes to hold onto the beer for two extra years for everyone. They bottle it, and then let the consumers decide whether or not they want to enjoy it at it best age.

Not like Abyss isn't an A+ when it's fresh. But I've had a 3 year vertical, and the older it gets, the better it gets. :slight_smile:

chrismann65 and breadwinner like this.
  17. Bobbyk503

Bobbyk503 Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2015 Oregon

Wood on the fire....... ive also heard there may be a Coffee version from some bar staff at Deschutes in PDX. My be kegs only though........

breadwinner likes this.
  18. deadsincebirth

deadsincebirth Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2014 Illinois

Both beers sound great! I will buy them if I see them. That is all...

tylerstubs likes this.
  19. mawelge

mawelge Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2015 Alaska

My local beer guru (manager of the biggest beer/wine/liquor chain in the state) told me that The Abyss release was getting delayed because there was some issue with the label not meeting the Fed's requirements.

The good news is that the cognac/rye variants will make it to Alaska!

unclekeith likes this.
  20. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

The last update I heard was that Abyss won't be out until around Christmas.

21. Shrdder253

Shrdder253 Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2015 Washington

Indeed. Heard something similar from my reps.

22. Cthulhusquid

Cthulhusquid Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2015 Washington

Too far away...

23. Karnivool1

Karnivool1 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2014 Illinois
    Deactivated

24. HopBroker

Trader

tylerstravis and Fox82791 like this.
  25. Schmitfaced414

Schmitfaced414 Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2014 Wisconsin

26. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (331) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

"We appreciate your patience this year as The Abyss 2015 needed more time and we will not release a beer before it’s ready. " Bet the best after a year from now is still on the bottle. Had the beer for the first time last year though and fricken love it. I will continually look for every released vintage going forward.

27. HopBroker

Trader

28. magnessr

magnessr Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2015 Ohio

hoping this makes its way to Cincinnati area in a few weeks.

29. Schmitfaced414

Schmitfaced414 Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2014 Wisconsin

I had the thread open and did not refresh before posting. NBD. Not sure if it was worth your time responding or mine replying. Good job by both of us.

Johnct likes this.
  30. mikedabomb20

mikedabomb20 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2015 Illinois

GREAT job by both of you!

Schmitfaced414 and Johnct like this.
  31. Beanblossom

Beanblossom Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2015 Indiana

Didn't ask today, however I have inquired at Binny's and was told early January. I will see tomorrow if this is still accurate.

bowzer4birdie and BrownBottle like this.
  32. derftron

derftron Disciple (392) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

Definitely interested in this years version and the variants.

This beer has definitely dropped off the past 2-3 years. It has nothing to do with the barrel aging (or lack of 100%BA) and more about the flavors. It has had a very sharp bitterness, almost like over-roasted/burnt coffee. I go to the "Abyssmas" at the Portland pub every year and 2010 and 2011 taste completely different from 12,13, and 2014.

Its still a fun event and a very good beer (the 2010 on Nitro was ridiculous). I hope they got it dialed back in this year. FWIW, the Black Butte3 they released in the pubs only is 100%BA and fantastic, so hoping that is a sign of a stellar Abyss year!

ballardbeer likes this.
  33. HopBroker

Trader

Might as well continue, I just think people should take the two seconds to look to see if what they were saying was posted one comment before them. It's like creating a completed trades thread without even looking through the first two threads. I understand the not refreshing part though. And this thread (I assumed) was about the cognac and rye variants, not about the original, so it wouldn't even matter when the original is coming out. But hey, @mikedabomb20, another nice contribution! Appreciate it.

34. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2013 California

Can't wait to get one...maybe two.

35. Doctorpancake

Doctorpancake Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2015 Nevada

It sounds tasty. I have such a hard time aging beer. I'm always so excited to taste something new!

beersnobraven likes this.
  36. JISurfer

JISurfer Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2002 South Carolina

Hopefully it's better than the 2014. Had it last year, wasn't a fan.

Fox82791 likes this.
  37. BaronRVH

BaronRVH Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2010 Ohio

This is so standard in the wine industry and some beers are known to do this. Best after dating can keep the cost down for all of us since additional aging, storage, etc can add a lot of cost. I don't necessarily like it but I've got some stouts (Abyss is one) from last year that are about to meet my taste buds soon!

TDavEdMac likes this.
  38. MadeInTheMitten

MadeInTheMitten Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2015 Michigan

"We who drink real beer.."

For f#%#'s sake..

Tho it is possible, it's still hard to find something or someone more annoying than a beer snob.

It's almost like a burnt bulb on someone else's Christmas decorations. You see it, judge it, but you realize (or don't) we all have a burnt bulb in some shape or form.

Yet it makes sense, but it doesn't.. Just like this entire comment.. But you read it, so there's that.

I'm drunk.

39. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,993) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Yet it is late, and I read it, and it did make sense.

40. Aestro

Aestro Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2009 Oregon

One nice thing is that a lot of big, meant-to-be-aged beers come out around this time, so buy whatever you feel like affording one year, put them away, then when the next year's releases come out, start pulling from the cabinet. Especially nice on a holiday and/or smaller party.

I used to have a tradition of buying three Abysses each year - I'd drink one, age one, and give one away (either shortly after the release or after sitting on it). Doing that less as price keeps going up and more options have become available.

charlzm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.