Deviant!!!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Crabbicuss, Apr 1, 2012.

?

Where does Deviant rank with the other big IPA's you've had this year?

Poll closed Apr 22, 2012.
  1. Tops!!!

19.5%
  2. Second best ;-)

26.8%
  3. meh...

53.7%
  4. Hated it ;-(

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crabbicuss

Crabbicuss Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2011 Maryland

We finally got this joker in MD. Just had my first pair tonight and I must say this is one tasty sum bitch!!!! What a Hop Bomb with excellent balance and a great finish. The nose on this one automatically clued me in that I was in for a nice treat. Kudos to Oskar Blues for nailing it!!! Anyone else enjoyed this year's offering? I started a poll just to see where everyone else ranked it and the vote results are open to the public. I'll be curious to see how it stacks up with all the BA's. The poll will be open for the next three weeks.

Cheers

Lantern likes this.
  2. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (5,110) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

I think it awesome, but I have a tough time saying it is 2nd best, but it isn't meh either. Now I am a hop junky, so I would say if I had access to this fresh all the time it would live in my fridge. Great beer!

3. Hophead717

Hophead717 Zealot (539) Oct 21, 2011 Massachusetts
    Trader

I had it last night for the first time. I ordered a pint and loved it so much that I ordered another! I'm excited to find it in cans soon (I hope).

4. Crabbicuss

Just to clear it up and I almost put 2012 in parenthesis, I was querying that rank based on Big IPA's one has had in 2012, not all time. Sorry about the confusion. By the by, I put it second due to the fact that I finally had the opportunity to try Heady Topper a couple of weeks ago (that was the best I've had this year and in my top three all time for Big IPA's or DIPA's).

5. Crabbicuss

They got 10 cases at Rips in Bowie. Not to far from DC.

6. Swim424

Swim424 Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2011 Florida

Had it on cask about two weeks ago, wasn't impressed. I love most oskar blues beers but this was a let down.

7. Crabbicuss

It would seem to me that served by cask could hurt this beer especially regarding carbonation. I had the same experience with this year's Nugget Nectar on cask. It lacked that "spoon stirring the pot" regarding carbonation and retention. It was thick and lacked a ton of body. Just a thought...

SalukiAlum likes this.
  8. potteryboy

potteryboy Initiate (103) Jul 17, 2009 Alabama

Having one as we speak while watching the final 4. It's very unique, but not in my top tier.

9. Crabbicuss

Great game!!!

10. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,239) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Had one earlier, damn good, going to buy a 4 pack very soon...maybe two.

11. Swim424

Swim424 Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2011 Florida

yeah, it was good just nothing special. Im sure ill try it on can when we get it.

12. nesarebad

nesarebad Devotee (484) Feb 4, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

If you had cask Nugget Nectar in 2012, it was not fresh, so that could be why you did not like it. IMO, Nugget Nectar is better on cask.

http://beerpulse.com/2012/02/troegs-brewing-update-nugget-nectar-splinter-gold-adaptation/

- Suspended cask/firkin program for now (likely to resume in summer or fall) which means none for Nugget Nectar this year

Crabbicuss likes this.
  13. Crabbicuss

That must be it. When I saw that ChurchKey was breaking a cask of Hopslam this year I wondered how it would turn out. High $ pours for short oz's and apparently it wasn't very popular. I was up at Troeges several weeks ago and they had a dozen or so barrels missing. I asked the local rep if there was a splinter being bottled and he said "Nope." As to the cask of NN, I will have to query the location in which it was served. I suppose they rode the dry hopped version of last year and had one hanging out. TY for the facts.

14. bpfishback

bpfishback Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2010 Maryland

Drinking one right now, canned just over a week ago. I like it but it has a lot of hop tannins going on. I want more hop aroma with it. Prefer gubna or g'knight.

15. pschul4

pschul4 Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2011 Illinois

Someone send me a bottle/can so I can vote!!

16. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Disciple (306) Jan 28, 2011 Ohio
    Trader

Tasted like Devil Dancer Light to me.

That being said, and even though I don't like Devil Dancer all that much, I liked Deviant when I had it. Is it worth all the hype I hear about it? Ehhhhh.... I'd rather drink Dale's or Ten Fidy honestly

17. mjtiernan

mjtiernan Zealot (571) Feb 15, 2008 New York

In terms of pine-forward IPAs that likely include Summit hops, this one is really good. And, for me, that's saying something.

18. sukwonee

sukwonee Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2011 Washington

I like DD! Mine was bottled 3/16 and it was great. I thought Hoptimum was better though.

19. Thickfreakness

Thickfreakness Crusader (743) Oct 2, 2010 New York

Niether of those four lame ass choices... Not the best, not the worst, not 2nd best, or meh... how fucking lame is that poll?
    The Tops lame?
    The 2nd most lame?
    Not the worst lame?
    or WTF lame?
    O.K. vote!
    Those are my choices... Seriously... I take reviewing beer to heart, and put in alot of effort doing so. Isn't that the point of this website? Put some friggin' effort in for goodness sakes.

cavedave likes this.
  20. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,753) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

It was good but nothing all that exciting really.

21. brentusaurus

brentusaurus Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2012 California

Passed on this a few days ago when I saw it, might pick it up if I can find it closer to where I live.

22. TheJollyHop

TheJollyHop Zealot (531) Sep 2, 2009 California

I tried it fresh, and I just couldn't get past the vegetal hop flavors. I tried it again recently (same 4-pack) and the vegetal hop flavors were gone, but so was a lot of the edge. Not quite sure which version I liked more, but in any event I won't be returning to Deviant Dale's IPA anytime soon.

23. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,972) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Deviant is def in my top thirty favorite IPA's.

ShemRahBoo likes this.
  24. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Meyvn (1,393) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

I did the same thing, but then went and grabbed a can after I took one drink. I hope the people in OH havent had it yet so I can blow their mind.

25. Crabbicuss

Saw that one coming a mile away. Should have known. My apologies for not being more general on the poll and allocating every possible category. I just had it for the first time, put up my first thread and knew there would be thread shitting and your affirmation to that first retort. Again, it wasn't a poll based on "all time favorites," instead, simply a thread regarding individual's ratings to similar styles which were available fresh and now.

I will go put on my kevlar and await what ever follows. In the interim, I enjoyed this beer and realize many BA's have many favorite styles which differ. That being said, my intentions were only to see what any or everyone else thought about this year's offering from OB regarding Deviant. Though my poll could have had 5-10 options for a vote (and could have been more well rounded, hindsight being 20/20), I didn't ask anyone to review the beer in this thread so I don't feel it lacked any "substance" regarding a simple friendly topic offered to the community querying BA's thoughts on this latest release, thus the poll. I am sure that whether or not the poll was included, I would have still received those "negative" responses. None the less, it's all good and Cheers!!!

26. diesel59

diesel59 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2012 New York

deviant dales is one of my favorites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crabbicuss likes this.
  27. Crabbicuss

Love the Avatar, Fidelius looks as sharp as I think that Deviant tastes. Cheersya!

28. DelicateDelirium

DelicateDelirium Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2012 Massachusetts

Had one yesterday and thought it was good but didn't particularly stand out among other dipas (although i do like the pint can), but I just cracked open my first Gandhi-bot and this blew me away, now this is delicious :grinning:

Massbmx likes this.
  29. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,807) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Just got it in NJ and tried it tonight. Damn, the ones I got were freakin' dank! I couldn't say where it stands overall, I prefer the whole tropica/citrus fruit thing, but if you want something dank and piney, with some vegetal undertones- this one won't let you down. They did make me happy for a night, though. I might even get some more while they last (it's a nice change of pace), but probably won't miss them very much when they're gone.

30. potteryboy

potteryboy Initiate (103) Jul 17, 2009 Alabama

I have to agree. I don't quite yet know what to think of it, but it is not apologetic. Danky for sure. I have to make sure it's at the end of an evening line-up because it ruins the taste of anything that follows.

31. russwbeck

russwbeck Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2010 Virginia

Double Dry Hopped Cask Deviant Dale's was spectacular.

32. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (7,546) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Picked up a four pack tonight and had one at the start of the game, absolutely loved it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.