Devil's Backbone Brewing Company hiring Chief Hiking Officer

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by SCbrewpubfan, Jun 9, 2020.

1. SCbrewpubfan

SCbrewpubfan Initiate (165) May 27, 2010 South Carolina
    Trader

https://www.dbbrewingcompany.com/cho/

Devil's Backbone Brewing Company is hiring a Chief Hiking Officer to hike the entire Appalachian Trail in 2021. The job requires social media and blog posts while on the trail, and the brewery promises beer parties along the way.

Doesn't sound like a terrible gig, but I doubt my current employer would give me the time off. Plus, Devil's Backbone beers have never been my favorite, before or after they were acquired by AB InBev. Any Beer Advocates going to put in an application?

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Initiate (90) Nov 5, 2019 Canada

I saw this on another beer group. It sounds intriguing. For a while now my wife and I have been toying with the idea of attempting to through-hike the trail in the next couple of years, although it is a very large commitment in terms of time, effort and logistics. A Walk In The Woods with Robert Redford and Nick Nolte is an often humorous movie about Bill Bryson’s adventures on the route.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  3. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,156) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

I’m a big fan of the book, couldn’t bring myself to watch the film after reading the reviews. I’ll have to check it out sometime

meefmoff and beertrip like this.
  4. toolbrew

toolbrew Defender (631) Feb 26, 2008 Indiana
    Trader

Film is worth a watch. Difficult to adapt Bryson’s book to a movie so I imagine it was panned by most people.

I may have to apply for this as a lark.

5. traction

traction Zealot (561) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

I love hiking and beer but 2000+ miles is a bit much for me. I am sure it will be a very cool experience for whoever decides to do it but I am to old an out of shape to even contemplate it at this point. It would be really cool if someone from BA got the CHO position.

6. PatKorn

PatKorn Initiate (150) Aug 30, 2007 Texas

Is it Mark Sanford???

SCbrewpubfan and fehrminator like this.
  7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,537) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I personally did not read the book A Walk in the Woods but my wife did and she would relate portions of the book to me. It sounds like Bill Bryson was not in the best of shape and his buddy Stephen Katz was even in worse shape (e.g., very overweight) at the start but they made it. I would think the commitment of time could be a bigger issue for some.

Cheers!

Scrapss and traction like this.
  8. traction

traction Zealot (561) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

Interesting, sounds like the book may be worth checking out. I am almost finished with the book I am currently reading and always looking for new stuff to check out. Maybe I'll give it a whirl.

toolbrew and Jaycase like this.
  9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,537) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

My wife would highly recommend it.

Cheers!

traction likes this.
  10. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,366) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Also for all you aspirational chief hiking officers, the primary qualification listed on the website is a demonstrated skill in blogging/social media. So you better get those insta followers up bros

ChicagoJ likes this.
  11. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Zealot (548) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Day 1: Trees
    Day 2: More Trees
    Day 5: Rocks
    Day 6: A river
    Day 10: Damn trees

Jaycase, Bigrock, PapaGoose03 and 5 others like this.
  12. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

If you accompany those blog entries with blurry photos of wildlife and some poorly framed selfies I think you've got.the job!

Bigrock, ChicagoJ and MistaRyte like this.
  13. beertrip

beertrip Initiate (69) Feb 6, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

If I didn't have a job, family, and bills to pay, I'd totally do this. I've always wanted to do the AT and knowing there was beer involved is more than enough motivation for me. Walk in the woods was a great read, but Bryson does not come close to finishing the hike.

PapaGoose03 and ChicagoJ like this.
  14. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (119) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

So the economy is constricted right now and no job positions are opening up, but yes, let’s create a nonsense job position as part of a publicity stunt.

15. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

The brewery class is the real job creators

ChicagoJ likes this.
  16. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (119) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

Hence why despite my academic degrees, the best thing I can probably find in this economy is a position sweeping the floor of a brewery somewhere...

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  17. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,712) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

You've got to work blisters in there somewhere. Probably Day 1 would be good timing, so that day's blog can be a dual topic edition. That will impress your critics. :wink: