DFH Olde School

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by kell50, Nov 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kell50

kell50 Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2007 North Carolina

What's up fellow BA's.

Just grabbed a 4 pack of the 2013 Dogfish Head's barleywine, Olde School. It's was a total impulse purchase because,

1) I've never had it before
    2) I felt the price tag (13.99$) was a fair price given it's a 15% abv beer.
    3) I typically enjoy DFH.

ANYWAYS, what are your thoughts, opinions, suggestions on this one?

Cheers.

2. johnsonni

johnsonni Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2012 North Carolina

3. JReites

JReites Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Florida
    Deactivated

Agree with the above comment.

4. Dupage25

Dupage25 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

I've never had it fresh, only 2 years old. It was the first beer I ever laid down. And it was fantastic. Can't wait to do a 3 year vertical next year.

5. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland

It was one of my first DFH beers and my first BW; however, it turned me off of BW's for a while. IMHO it is super hot fresh, so far as to be undrinkable. I think I made bread with the rest of it, since I didn't drain pour at all back then and that was even pretty boozy.

Haven't had it since, but it seems like it will age quite well, as is the case with most of DFH's big beers. I actually just bought my first 4-pack of it a few days ago and I plan to age all 4 of them, possibly bury 1 or 2 in accordance with the label.

6. basics

basics Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2011 North Carolina

I drank mine fresh and was scared of the alcohol making it undrinkable. I also served at ~45 degrees because of this. It was super drinkable all things considered even after it warmed up. Less boozy than Molotov Cocktail or Devil Dancer.

RobertColianni likes this.
  7. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Meyvn (1,030) Oct 24, 2009 California

This needs to come to CA.

notchucknorris likes this.
  8. BWED

BWED Crusader (775) Jan 6, 2012 Colorado

Exactly.

9. patm1986

patm1986 Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2010 New Jersey

I like it, but it tastes like drunken soap fresh. As everyone above has mentioned, lay as many bottles down as you feel necessary after you've had your fill of it. I've tried 6 month intervals, but in my experiences overall, the yearly gaps are best. Last year I had an '04 that was soooo damn good.
    I hope you like it anyhow.

10. kell50

Sounds like I should cellar all if them. I don't want my throat to burn, rather, i'd like to enjoy this as intended. Maybe have 1 a year for the next 4 years?

11. Harnkus

Harnkus Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 New York

Bought a four pack 3 years ago and drank it immediately. Both my friend and felt it tasted like apple juice, which was miles off from what what reviews suggested. The remaining 3 bottles ate still in my fridge. I planned to open one on Christmas Eve and I have no idea how its going to shake out

12. robwestcott

robwestcott Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2008 Indiana

go back and buy more

13. AaronRodgersMVP12

AaronRodgersMVP12 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2013 Wisconsin

had a what I believe was a 2010 a couple months ago and was surprised in a very pleasant way, not your typical bw

14. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Zealot (506) Nov 7, 2012 Pennsylvania

Drink one fresh and cellar the other three, this way you'll appreciate how well this will be doing a year from now.

I did this last year and just recently had my second and was blown away by how good it was.
    The one I drank last year was good fresh imo, and helped me appreciate what it has evolved into now.

I just bought a fresh 4pk this past weekend and plan on repeating this experiment this coming weekend.
    Also planning to look for a case this week.

Go buy another 4pk at the very least.

johnsonni likes this.
  15. JDizzle

JDizzle Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2010 Indiana

It's a bit HOT!!!!!!!!

16. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (8,315) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

drink that dam beer.

GeezLynn likes this.
  17. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Poo-Bah (2,692) Mar 8, 2011 Georgia
    Society

I got one as an extra in a trade (GA's bullshit abv cap prevents distribution here). Finally cracked it open last week and it instantly became my favorite beer from DFH! Freakin fantastic!
    I picked up a 4 pack in FL this past weekend and am tempted to try a freshie but I KNOW it'll be awesome after at least a year...

18. lostandwandering

lostandwandering Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2009 New Jersey

Had my first one ever last week. I did not think it was hot at all. The first BW that I had was Weyerbacher's Blithering Idiot and I felt that was much hotter and a complete mess. I have a bottle of 2012 Olde School which I look forward to trying at some point.

19. Mikecap

Mikecap Champion (823) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

$13.99 for a 4-pack seems like a steal to me. Definitely take the advice and cellar two or three. If you can get 120 minute at that price point, buy a case!

20. notchucknorris

notchucknorris Poo-Bah (2,154) May 28, 2010 California
    Society

Save em! Had a 2006 a few months back. Money.

johnsonni likes this.
  21. MikeT77

MikeT77 Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2010 New York

Is 15% the NC ABV cap? Good thing this clocks in at exactly 15%!

johnsonni likes this.
  22. BigOldOaf

BigOldOaf Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2011 Massachusetts

I had one on draft a few hours ago and I thought it was excellent. Just like your first responder suggested, drink one, cellar three. Cheers!

23. t_shaw

t_shaw Initiate (80) Feb 1, 2013 North Carolina

Super easy drinking fresh. Did a 12/13 a few days ago & the '12 was super boozy & raisiny, i think '13 was a much better sipper. Though it is my first year drinking the OS, looking forward to some future years

24. CruisaC

CruisaC Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2010 Ohio

Delicious IMO. Hopefully I'll start to see these trickle down to my bottleshops in KY. No dice in OH where anything higher than 12% is verboten

25. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Still like CWBW better. DFH for me is hit or miss and quirky.

26. C_Roetting

C_Roetting Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2013 Kentucky

Aye; I think I paid $17.99 for the last 4-pack I bought. Buy it up!

I agree that this is a great beer to cellar; I would suggest opening one earlier and maybe taking some notes to compare after it's aged a bit. I really enjoy Olde School; maybe my favorite from DFH.

27. OlyBrewer

OlyBrewer Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2013 Washington

Wow, $13.99 for a 4-pack is indeed a steal. Here in Washington that is the wholesale price, before any mark ups. I completely agree that cellaring these babies is a wonderful idea... I bought 8 myself, am cellaring 7 to try in one year intervals. This is the kind of beer that can certainly tolerate 5-8 years of aging, but tastes awesome still at 2-3 years! Cheers!!

28. EJLinneman

EJLinneman Aspirant (244) Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey
    Trader

Drink one each year for the next 4 years.

29. kell50

I'm not really sure what the current beer cap is (or if one even still exists) here in NC. I did buy a He'Brew Sweet 16 last Christmas that was 16% abv off the shelves.

It's hard to believe that ten years ago the abv beer limit in NC was around 6%. We've come along way.

30. Pahn

Pahn Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2009 New York

fresh, hated it. grape juice and bottle.

aged 5 years, one of the best barleywines i've ever had.

31. GeezLynn

GeezLynn Initiate (0) May 10, 2009 Colorado

It's intended to be a big assertive boozy beer. Try the beer, live a little.

32. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (8,406) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

sounds like a good plan, that's what I do with most beer that are intended to benefit from aging.

33. kona14

kona14 Initiate (0) Aug 22, 2010 Pennsylvania

Only single bottles available around here...so I bought one at $7. Outrageous but I'll let it sit for at least a year. I have plenty others waiting for "earlier release"..i.e. drinking them:wink:

34. drocpsu

drocpsu Initiate (189) Dec 25, 2006 New Hampshire

I was going to say the same thing. I've only had this beer once (1 bottle - bought as a single), but I think I paid like $5 or $6 for the individual bottle. I would definitely pick up a 4-pack if I could find it for that price, (assuming they actually sold that beer here in NH....which they don't).

Mikecap likes this.
  35. MikeT77

MikeT77 Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2010 New York

Confirmed it - NC has a 15% ABV cap. It was raised from 6% to 15% in 2005.

36. 77black_ships

77black_ships Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2012 Belgium

Walk hand-in-neck with bottles into the middle of the woods. Use shovel to dig 2x2 hole three feet deep. Seal bottles in plastic bag. Place in hole and pack with dirt. Memorize location and leave. Return exactly one year later. Dig up bottles, open and enjoy.

gillagorilla likes this.
  37. azorie

azorie Champion (877) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

age them all, fresh it burns baby....

38. C20Percent

C20Percent Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2011 Virginia

I enjoyed it fresh; although I did lay down the other three. $14 is a steal. Probably my favorite DFH beer.

39. joeebbs

joeebbs Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2009 Pennsylvania

I picked up a six pack of 2009 a couple of weeks ago at the brewery. Was a little over $20 for a 4 pack.

40. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (402) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.