DFH WWS 2009???

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by JakeT469, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JakeT469

JakeT469 Disciple (365) Jan 13, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

So, I came across a local shop thats pretty close to my work and they have approx 20 bottles of 2009 WWS. He's selling them for 9.99 each which isnt too bad considering the cheapest i've seen them is 8.99. I know this beer gets very good with age so my plan is to buy 1 and see how it tastes taking into consideration that idk how its been stored over the years and all the other factors that go with aging beers. My question to you, the fellow BA's, depending how the tasting goes of the 1 bottle, is this a beer that I should wipe off the shelf if the tasting goes well??

2. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

You'll likely get a wide array of opinions on this one. Personally, I'd buy them out without even tasting one. A beer with that high of an ABV is hard to ruin in 2-3 years and it will last another decade or two in the cellar. Cheers!

3. daves1186

daves1186 Initiate (167) Jan 7, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I just picked up a few 09's for the same price last weekend and boy do I love this beer. Should you wipe the shelf of the rest of them? If you have some extra dough and could stomach dropping 200+ on a case then most definitely it's a great beer that I can only see getting better with time.

4. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2010 Illinois

If it's the shop I'm thinking of then they are drinking pretty damn deliciously at the moment. I like to stop in and pick one up every month or so.

5. ericwo

ericwo Initiate (80) Aug 21, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I drank a 2009 WWS a week ago and it was the best WWS I've had yet. None of the harsh abv taste that comes with a fresh bottle, but still plenty of flavor.

6. MUMike

MUMike Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2012 Missouri

I'll take them all. Beermail me. :grinning:

7. GrindFatherBob

GrindFatherBob Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2010 New York

'09 is a superior vintage of this beer. The '10 is not improving much from the mess it was fresh, '11 is hot, and '08 was lacking a bit when I had it a couple months ago. '09 tastes like a rich port with hints of burnt sugar. It is pure heaven.

8. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,566) Mar 18, 2010 California

The only bottle of WWS I have had was a 2009. I picked it up in Colorado for $9.99. A very good beer and vintage.

9. DrDoitchbig

DrDoitchbig Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2009 Michigan

I wouldn't be concerned with it being "store aged." I bought a bottle of 2004 World Wide Stout off the shelf last year and it was one of the best beers I've ever had. If I could find the 2009 on the shelf I'd probably buy at least 4 or 5 of them, drink one now and forget about the rest for a few years.

10. infi

infi Devotee (446) Apr 4, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

You don't necessarily have to "wipe the shelf" of it, but buy at least a bottle. It's phenomenal with at least 5 years of age on it.

11. ICCULIS

ICCULIS Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2011 Massachusetts

as others have stated - the '09's are plentyful and are drinking great.

I also agree w/ whoever said the '08 wasn't all that great. I cracked an '08 on x-mas eve and found it to be bland and nearly undrinkable. moved straight to the '09 and found it delish.

12. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Meyvn (1,247) May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

that beer is bulletproof. 09 is good, but sit on it until 2014 for maximum tastiness.

13. Zaphog

Zaphog Poo-Bah (2,256) Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I just cracked an '09 WWS 3 days ago and it was very good. It's still quite harsh, but at 18% it is a very rich and enjoyable brew. I still have a few left and am looking forward to seeing how they taste with a couple more years on them. I can definitely see them getting better yet.

If I were you I'd def pick up 5 or 6 of them, but would not wipe them out. Share the wealth! :wink:

14. boilermakerbrew

boilermakerbrew Meyvn (1,293) Aug 13, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I'll just repeat what everyone is saying....delicious beer that only gets better with time. Had a 2010 this year, a little bit of harsh alcohol, but warm it up and it is awesome. I would get 4 or 5 and age and taste them every year.

15. cbeer88

cbeer88 Crusader (719) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

Too young. (seriously) WWS needs 5 years.

If you like it get some. You can still easily find all sorts of vintages back to '07 around here, and I suspect in other places. So I wouldn't really feel the need to "buy them out" as others are saying.

16. MUMike

I don't know where "here" is, but I'd like to be there!

17. cbeer88

cbeer88 Crusader (719) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

Boston area. You have to realize that we got a lot of these beers "before they were cool", so the shipments were bountiful and there has always been plenty sitting around for sale since they hold up so well. DFH 120 was exactly the same way until the damn tv show, and for some reason people started gobbling those up but nobody has really touched the WWS's.

18. trginter

trginter Aspirant (276) Dec 1, 2008 Michigan
    Beer Trader

That's pretty funny, the store down the road from me has about five or six '09 WWS on their shelf. I think they're like $14 though. I might pick one up though, could stand the booze of the current year WWS.

19. MUMike

Well, for someone in flyover country and a state where DFH isn't distributed (Missouri), it makes it hard to stumble across stuff like that. Wish I could, I'd buy a bunch.

20. jhb138

jhb138 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2010 Massachusetts

I've recently seen some bottles of WWS dated 11/17/09. Is this a similar date to what others have been seeing?

21. GrindFatherBob

GrindFatherBob Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2010 New York

That is the one.

22. Charity

Charity Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2011 Massachusetts

Just bought 5 of the 2009's that were on "closeout" at my local place for just over $6/bottle...wish they had more...

23. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2011 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

I got a four pack about three weeks ago that were 11/17/09. Then I went to one of my other local shops and they had two shy of a case. All of them being the 09 date. They also had just gotten in some 120 which leads me to believe that these are shipping from the factory. At lear here, retailers have to buy a case of WWS to get any 120. That's my thoughts on it. If anybody really wants any, I don't mind picking some up and sending it out. They are $8.99 per bottle.

Cheers

24. BeRanger

BeRanger Devotee (433) Dec 11, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I just bought a 2009 WWS from a bar that was selling them for some reason. I had a friend who had tried some 2005 WWS and thought it was fantastic. I'll be holding onto this for quite a few more years I think before I crack it open.
    I've been $8.99 all over the east coast whereas backhome in Michigan it's typically $9.99

25. AutumnBeerLove

AutumnBeerLove Aspirant (243) Oct 16, 2010 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Okay, so at EBF I got to be in the VIP room for the open forum. Sam from DFH brought with him to share some '06 Immort and '05 WWS. The Immort was unbelievable and the WWS was also extremely good. I would buy two right off the bat if I were you. Drink one now and age another.

26. BeerThursdays

BeerThursdays Defender (689) Feb 28, 2010 Delaware
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I love aged world wide, and wouldn't hesitate to buy as much as I could afford.

27. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,566) Mar 18, 2010 California

Good deal there.

28. MUMike

Message sent.

29. Derranged

Derranged Devotee (484) Mar 7, 2010 New York

Beer that dark and strong should last for quite a while.

30. FluffyMcTingle

FluffyMcTingle Initiate (192) Nov 6, 2009 Massachusetts

this is my exact sentiment. I once shared in a 5 year old bottle and sat there in bliss.

ShogoKawada likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.