Dick Cantwell Resigns from Elysian Brewing Company / Anheuser-Busch InBev

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BuckeyeOne, Apr 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Zealot (515) Mar 9, 2008 Washington

Kendall shares a portion of an email he received from Dick Cantwell regarding his resignation from Elysian/ABI:

“Just wanted to let you know that about half an hour ago I resigned from Anheuser Busch,” said Dick Cantwell via email this morning. “The tenor of the deal, mainly from the point of view of my former partners and me, was such that I can’t possibly work with them into a future of any duration. My concerns were never even considered as a factor of whether we should or shouldn’t. From the start it was me against everyone else, with no regrets expressed. Enough about that.”

“In the past few months AB has treated me with consideration and seriousness, and they’ve presented me some pretty exciting future possibilities, should I be able to see my way clear to working for them. But I can’t. I am a craft brewer, past, present and future, no matter what I end up doing. Naturally I’m not one to whine about the Definition, about being on the wrong side of it, etc. I helped craft the thing while I was on the BA Board, and while I have my own personal reservations about some aspects, I think it’s important to recognize some differences in realms of the market.

Related:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/communi...seattle-based-elysian-brewing-company.251035/
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/700/

2. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,114) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I'm curious what kinds of restrictions (non-compete clause, etc.) will be placed on him for a period of time?

kemoarps, Tripel_Threat and sharpski like this.
  3. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Initiate (146) Nov 10, 2013 Washington

and/or what he forfeited.

4. distantmantra

Trader

That too.

Good for Dick.

Reidrover, kemoarps and ballardbeer like this.
  5. distantmantra

Trader

Tonight, coincidentally, is Dick Cantwell Appreciation Night at Latona Pub.

do_ob, kemoarps and jcos like this.
  6. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,093) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

According to the Brewbound article on the resignation, Elysian’s Dick Cantwell Resigns From A-B InBev (which includes an interesting possible brewery partnership):

7. DarthKostrizer

DarthKostrizer Meyvn (1,166) May 13, 2011 California

So essentially this was just a money grab for Cantwell. Can't say I blame him, strike while the iron is hot

Kfitch and Westyn like this.
  8. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,694) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Nope. His was the "No" vote in the sale, which he lost 2-1.

m34josh, Reidrover, kemoarps and 11 others like this.
  9. RblWthACoz

RblWthACoz Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2006 Pennsylvania

I don't see where you are deducing that from.

m34josh, kbuzz, pinkgrenade and 3 others like this.
  10. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,832) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

If you followed the events, he was the one lone vote against the sale to AVInbev. The article said he signed a contract for 2 years of service. He probably leaves with his money from the sale of the brewery, but if there were any incentives in the contract with ABinbev, those are gone, and he has the non-compete clause. I would call it following your own convictions and living with yourself.

11. Lamnic

Lamnic Aspirant (203) Mar 1, 2012 Connecticut
    Trader

Good for him. A proud brewer sticking to his moral conviction. I hate to hear about these stories.

kemoarps likes this.
  12. Evil_Emery

Evil_Emery Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2014 California

The way I read it the non-compete-clause was in the PNW, and wouldn't be valid in another region of the US?

kemoarps and chrismattlin like this.
  13. deford

deford Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2013 California

Actually it sounds like he did not want to sell....

kemoarps and chrismattlin like this.
  14. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Initiate (150) Aug 16, 2010 Texas

Cant well work for those guys...no matter what the terms.

mactrail and BuckeyeOne like this.
  15. Reneejane

Reneejane Devotee (450) Jan 15, 2004 Illinois

ooh yes. Plenty of room in Chicago or otherwise Illinois *cough* if anyone's listening.

hoppymcgee likes this.
  16. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (550) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Um, no. This is premature ejaculation, and he couldn't and didn't want to handle the walk of shame that came from bedding this deal. The real money shot is a couple years down the line yet.

StartedwithSAM likes this.
  17. DarthKostrizer

DarthKostrizer Meyvn (1,166) May 13, 2011 California

Correct I have not followed the sale of the brewery so I had no clue he was the one no vote so my bad.

I'm sure he has had made enough money in his life so why not donate the profits from the sale to charity and be washed clean of AB InBev HA

If he's as passionate about his craft then he'll find away to keep brewing the beer he loves.

18. TreeBear

TreeBear Aspirant (214) May 29, 2014 Oregon
    Trader

It's good to see a brewer sticking to his guns. I hope he can stick around the pnw area and keep contributing to the beer scene.

kemoarps and ballardbeer like this.
  19. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (627) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

I have a feeling there is more to this story than we are hearing about (from both sides/perspectives)

2beerdogs, Scrapss and KetchumSuds like this.
  20. Gilmango

Gilmango Aspirant (205) Jul 17, 2007 California

Well not that the San Francisco bay area or Colorado need more breweries but if the noncompete is limited to Pacific Northwest his girlfriend Kim Jordan (New Belgium) lives in SF and Fort Collins.

21. Alpha309

Alpha309 Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2014 California

I would assume two things.

1. The non-compete clause lasts the longer of the two options - The length of time remaining on the contract OR 365 days from the employee leaving the company.

2. The non-compete probably started when the contract ended if it was not renewed.

From these two things, I would then draw that it was wise to leave as soon as possible to get the non-compete clock moving as quick as possible. He can do all the work that it would take to start a new brewery in the time between now and then, and the year and a half that I would guess is left would be plenty of time to get all the behind the scenes stuff worked out, recipes perfected, and what not, so on day one of being free, he is able to do whatever he feels.

woemad, Mtj28 and Scrapss like this.
  22. didgeboy

didgeboy Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2006 Washington

Just found out that Miller group is going to be trying to make a grab at New Belgium AND Sierra Nevada this next year. If all of the great craft brewers keep getting swallowed up by the mega breweries, whats gonna be left and how hard will it be to find those things?

23. tozerm

tozerm Aspirant (226) Jul 1, 2005 Washington

No it wasn't. Cantwell was a minority owner and was opposed to the sale from the beginning. He got out voted on the sale.

kemoarps and beertunes like this.
  24. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,428) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware
    Society

I get that he was not upset as much with AB but more with his former partners.

25. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (655) Mar 28, 2009 California

Isn't Nee Belgium 100% employees owned? I think there is a zero percent chance of either NB or SN selling out.

Reneejane, qchic, kemoarps and 2 others like this.
  26. tomfrenchu

tomfrenchu Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2011 New Jersey

Wow, Elysian was never my favorite(though some of their brews were tasty) -but New Belgium and Sierra Nevada? That would be a hard hit. Sierra Nevada would be especially painful, but with their new expansion outside Asheville, it would seem that they have little interest in selling? I hope Ken Grossman would at least wait a few years and hold down the fort(s)!

27. GetMeAnIPA

That's what I got too. He had nice words to say about AB but none for his partners.

aasher likes this.
  28. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

Not necessarily true - if employees vote for it.

Full Sail is employee owned, but they just voted to sell to a private equity firm recently.

russpowell, tozerm, beertunes and 2 others like this.
  29. GetMeAnIPA

Interesting. I would have thought it would really hard to get enough votes to sell.

30. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,832) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Any more information to back that up?

SN is owned by Ken Grossman, and he wants to leave it to his children, 2 of 3 that work for the brewery.

ESOP ownership does not automatically mean it is immune from a buy out - Full Sail was the example given above.

31. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Meyvn (1,448) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

How can you post something like this without any additional information. Seems very sketchy to say the least.

m34josh, rgordon, woemad and 8 others like this.
  32. kyleavk

kyleavk Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2014 Washington

Good for him for standing up for himself. That said I always held some loyalty toward Elysian since I was friends with his son Nap back in middle and high school (before his tragic bicycle accident). If anything he should still be proud for building Elysian up to such a well known name.

russpowell, woemad and kemoarps like this.
  33. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (351) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

LOL. Honestly, c'mon. Every "owner" becomes a millionaire... We brew fat tire and you guys brew the stuff you "enjoy"... I'd say NB selling out more likely than SN but c'mon dawg. "Never" ?

34. Vizualize

Vizualize Initiate (127) Jun 13, 2014 New York

C.R.E.A.M.

aasher, Hayden34 and hoppymcgee like this.
  35. GetMeAnIPA

Of course not "never". I just see those two breweries as very unlikely. But heck what do I know, I don't know ken personally or anybody at NB. Also, Ken is already a millionaire from what I know.

russpowell likes this.
  36. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (2,907) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

The big guys are looking to the larger regional breweries. There's still hundreds of great local brewpubs and breweries with smaller distribution that wouldn't be on these guys' maps.

37. Joshmistake

Joshmistake Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2012 Minnesota

I would bet a ton of cash that SN or NB would NOT sell to Miller/Coors. Why? They're already massive and they've done it on there own. What could Miller/Coors offer them? Money? They're good. Distro? They've got it. Contract brewing? That would be it...that and shitty BMC execs trying to dumb down their product.

russpowell and Fargrow like this.
  38. CarolusRex

CarolusRex Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2015

"I would bet a ton of cash that SN or NB would NOT sell to Miller/Coors. Why? They're already massive and they've done it on there own. What could Miller/Coors offer them? Money? They're good. Distro? They've got it. Contract brewing? That would be it...that and shitty BMC execs trying to dumb down their product."

Goose island? They literally fit all that you mentioned with SN/NB and they sold out.

kemoarps likes this.
  39. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (474) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

At least in Massachusetts, goose island was not very available prior to the buyout. Now its literally
    everywhere (and the change was very abrupt).

We've been basically saturated with SN for years though and they already seem like a truly national brand to me.

russpowell and Noelito76 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.