Didn't break up my leaf hops

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Brewblues, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Brewblues

Brewblues Nov 25, 2008 Massachusetts

Brewed a white IPA yesterday, and used leaf hops for the first time. Made 3 1-oz additions (30 min, 10 min, 5 min), each in a small hop/grain bag. Problem is, I didn't break up the leafs at all by hand before placing them in the bag - pretty much just dumped them out of the hopunion bag and into the cheesecloth. Wondering if I'm going to lose a lot of the AAUs that I should have otherwise counted on - hopefully not, but would appreciate any insight on how significant this could be.

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Other than breaking up 'clumps' I never break them down any further. What did they look like after you removed them? My guess is that the boil separated them down to the cone/sub-cone level anyway. I wouldn't worry about having lost anything.

3. cracker

cracker May 2, 2004 Pennsylvania

I don't think it matters one bit. With the heat and rigor of the boil , the hops will break up on their own. I have never broken them up before adding to the boil.

4. Brewblues

Brewblues Nov 25, 2008 Massachusetts

Good to know, thanks. The hops that had been in there for 30 minutes certainly seemed quite a bit more broken down than those that had only been in there for 5 and 10 minutes, but I figure that makes sense. I'll keep optimistic about this one!

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!