Discontinuation of Sierra Nevada Tumbler

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SnowFlowMfg, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnowFlowMfg

SnowFlowMfg Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2011 California

Is anyone else really bummed that Tumbler is discontinued? I have been drinking it for years now and love it. This year's has been particularly good so i'm really sad I can't even find it on a shelf anywhere.

2. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

Seriously bummed. I had a great time with this beer this year. Sad that SN is falling into the IPA trap with most other breweries. I felt they were above that.

3. Ranbot

Ranbot Pooh-Bah (2,389) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I don't think it's a bad beer, but it was probably my least purchased SN product, mostly the occassional draft at a bar. But if something does not sell there's not much else for a business to do. There have also been reports that in some markets distributers are holding back releasing Celebration to stores until Tumbler is off the shelves...which is not good for anyone.

4. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

I don't buy a lot of Tumbler each year (probably a sixer or two), but I really do love that beer and look forward to it each year. Will be bummed to not see it on shevles next year. Flipside Red IPA is good, but I enjoy Tumbler more.

5. ChrisMyhre

ChrisMyhre Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2013 Massachusetts

I'm bummed.

6. TheFlern

TheFlern Initiate (0) May 9, 2009 Idaho

I really hope they aren't just going to replace Tumbler with only Flipside. I wonder what Sierra Nevada could do in the dark lager style.

7. Treyliff

Treyliff Grand Pooh-Bah (4,711) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It was my go-to football tailgating beer, it will be missed.

8. azorie

azorie Pooh-Bah (2,409) Mar 18, 2006 Florida
    Pooh-Bah

yes I even BM them and emailed them. we never even got this years allotment, for some reason. Or maybe I was just blind this year...its possible.

email from them:
    We brewed less Tumbler this year to allow Flipside a bit of shelf time and—::deep breath::—it’s looking like Tumbler will bow out of our seasonal lineup. The scorn of some folks will be palpable, we know. Many of us at the brewery really enjoy the liquid, too. Fact is, Tumbler debuted to big success, but demand has subsequently fallen until it’s no longer practical to continue. Shifting tastes, seasonal creep, bad juju—who knows the reason it fell from favor. We’ve learned to never say never, but it’s unlikely Tumbler will be back in the foreseeable future. If you’re after malt-centric brews, check out the likes of Narwhal Imperial Stout and our longstanding Porter and Stout, all of which are great warmers.

Cheers,

Ryan Arnold

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

1075 E. 20th St.

Chico, CA 95928

9. RangnaR

RangnaR Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 California

I think they're just falling into the trap of trying to make beers that will generate a profit, as opposed to taking up shelf space...

10. norcalhophead

norcalhophead Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2010 Wisconsin

This would not be happening if they had just stayed with their "original" SN Brown Ale recipe

RBassSFHOPit2ME likes this.
  11. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

In addition to the email response to azorie above, BA sierranevadabill confirmed this for us in the Flipside thread recently:

12. ThatFatBeerGuy

ThatFatBeerGuy Initiate (0) Oct 11, 2013 California

Impermanence teaches the Buddha. Nothing is forever. Lament the loss, but look forward to new experiences.

13. GotWad629

GotWad629 Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2010 New York

Long live the brown ales

14. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Grand Pooh-Bah (4,092) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society

I'm sad and angry because it was replaced by yet another IPA. Yet another example of why it is an oversimplification and outright wrong to simply think that what you choose to drink doesn't affect others' choices. Sierra Nevada Bill also mentioned here on BA that Kellerweiss wasn't doing so great with sales either.

tronester, Jsteez, Tidesox28 and 7 others like this.
  15. mrcraft

mrcraft Grand Pooh-Bah (3,322) Dec 15, 2012 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm bummed. I haven't tried it before, but it was on my list to try. I had no idea they were going to retire that beer after this summer.

16. abecall98

abecall98 Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2007 California
    Trader

Good riddance.

17. azorie

Pooh-Bah

You think they could afford to just have a fuller menu of beer types....but it seems not. West coast thinking?

I love the Kellerweiss also, but hey they can drop it I will drink more BM. there loss.

18. BillManley

BillManley Pundit (825) Jul 2, 2008 North Carolina

I'm not sure I understand what this means? Can we afford to have a fuller menu of beers? You mean more variety of styles?

-B

19. azorie

Pooh-Bah

yea. You are so hop centric. are you not? porter and stout are even hoppy imho. with the exception of olivia series. everything is a tad over hopped...Still I do love the porter/stout.
    I mean its a west coast thing to hop the heck out of the beer. right? I am not bitching.
    I would like to see a different line up, but hey its your company, I am just expressing my 2 cents. FWIW

trust me I know no 1 cares what I think on the hop subject.

#19 azorie, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    KS1297 likes this.
  20. TequilaSauer

TequilaSauer Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2006 Florida

It is one of the SN seasonals I probably enjoyed the least. This isn't saying it's bad, but more rather that their seasonals are usually so good. They're a brewery whose decisions I trust so if this had to go to make room for Flipside or something else new, I'm sure it's the right move.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.