Dixie Beer, the oldest brewery in New Orleans, will change its name

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BeRightBock, Jun 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeRightBock

BeRightBock Initiate (177) Apr 27, 2007 New York
    Trader

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,537) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Score another 'victory' for the cancel culture?:confused:

Cheers!

3. riptorn

riptorn Disciple (372) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Maybe they'll become "The Brewery", following the lead of The Dixie Chicks who are now just The Chicks?

4. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,781) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

Nice avatar. I've been surprised I've never seen anyone else use it, given how awesome it is. :wink:

I don’t know the linguistic origins of the word “Dixie” so I don’t have an opinion on this (yet). If it refers to “the South” generically then that would be one thing, and if it refers to the Confederacy, the system of slaveholding plantations etc. then something else.

But words matter. Symbols matter. So depending on what “Dixie” means I could see either the wisdom or foolishness of this decision. And I've never heard of the brewery before so it has no impact on me personally.

#4 draheim, Jun 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  5. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,209) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Sigh...not sure where this ends? Doesn't affect me either way though so...

6. BeRightBock

BeRightBock Initiate (177) Apr 27, 2007 New York
    Trader

The worst part of it. Everyone has something they're perturbed by.

Don't like it? Ignore or educate.

Peach63, sefus12, rgordon and 6 others like this.
  7. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,097) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

8. draheim

Society

And yet, in some cases maybe this isn't such a bad idea. Al Jolson, Buster Keaton, and Fred Astaire (among others) all performed in blackface. Looking back, that's pretty damn offensive and racist—I don't see any way around this. I don't favor banning these films (any more than believing Gone With The Wind should be banned), but maybe providing a little context would be helpful. Some disclaimer that these films were produced in a very different time when racist stereotypes were considered entertaining, and little to no thought was given to the harm they might be doing. (And even this might be a stretch—for all we know it was a deliberate effort to marginalize non-whites.) But it's kind of hard to put a disclaimer on a beer label.

I also won't be heartbroken if the Atlanta Braves, Chicago Blackhawks, or Washington Redskins decide to change their names.

9. Spaten454

Spaten454 Disciple (378) Aug 23, 2012 Texas
    Trader

Dixie was made in Wisconsin after Katrina for 14 years. It just recently moved back to the city. I like to think Dixie just refers to the South, but anything related to the South these days has bad connotations.

bubseymour, Peach63, ChicagoJ and 2 others like this.
  10. draheim

Society

In that case, I'm for this change. Last time I checked, African Americans drink beer too. And for what it's worth, New Orleans is 60% black.

#10 draheim, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  11. Spaten454

Trader

For what it's worth, New Orleans has bigger issues to worry about than the name of a beer. It's a run down, violent, borderline third world country.

12. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,290) Sep 24, 2007 Mayotte
    Society Trader

There's some awesome old photos in that story.

eppCOS and Bitterbill like this.
  13. gyorgymarlowe

gyorgymarlowe Initiate (39) Aug 24, 2019 Colorado
    Trader

I think it's a great people are starting to replace divisive organizational artifacts that communicate microagressions. The Atlantic published an article that traces the history of the word Dixie. "Helligar called the word Dixie "the epitome of white America,” observing, “For many Black people, it conjures a time and a place of bondage”(theatlantic.com). The beer industry is trying to become more inclusive, and I think changing this name is a pretty easy way to become more welcoming to everyone.

Source: https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2020/06/what-dixie-really-means/613585/

More food for thought:

Pages 6 and 7 of the following link have a chart listing different types and examples of microagressions.
    https://gim.uw.edu/sites/gim.uw.edu/files/fdp/Microagressions File.pdf

https://www.criminalwatchdog.com/resources/workplace-culture/what-is-organizational-culture

distantmantra, tinoynk, TJM and 13 others like this.
  14. beertunes

Society Trader

Potomac Basin Indigenous Peoples.

The merch would fly off the shelves.

15. draheim

Society

Fair enough. And as someone originally from St. Louis, which has a lot of parallels to New Orleans in terms of history, segregation, systemic racism, etc., I would only say that you have to start somewhere.

16. draheim

Society

I prefer Swamp People

17. Spaten454

Trader

Yeh, you right. I'd start with the corrupt local government or the corrupt police first. But hey, baby steps to appease people who don't care in the first place.

18. gyorgymarlowe

Trader

Unfortunately there are a lot of racist relics in the south, but I think it's a diverse part of the country that's also rich in American culture that is positive. Hopefully we can get to a point where we can fully celebrate the positive aspects of the South and stop focusing on the divisive parts.

19. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Aspirant (230) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

I agree that they should keep the name, for purchasing decisions.
    In a side note, how much is a 12 pack of Sierra Nevada in Delaware, compared to PA?
    I think I’ve jumped the shark on BA...

20. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Poo-Bah (3,395) Feb 22, 2013 Ohio
    Society

@JackHorzempa would know as our resident price checker.

dripa8, Bitterbill and Ronmarley1 like this.
  21. beertunes

Society Trader

That merch would sell hella good.

22. billandsuz

billandsuz Devotee (439) Sep 1, 2004 New York

As a Yankee I have always been proud of being on the this side of history. Up here in these parts our ancestors fought and died on the right side. It is always too easy to throw stones at those people down there who are perpetuating the wrong side of history. But it's really nothing more than fate that put us here and them there. Just as we are Americans and not something else. Crap shoot after all. We choose to believe what we want to.

And with that, I commend the owners of Dixie Brewing for seeing the offensive nature of their branding, however benign they may have thought it to be. Those people are choosing to be on the right side of history, and it's never too late to get on board. July 4 even! Those people are choosing to build a more perfect Union and I welcome them, not out of pity but as genuine fellow American's. Good for them.

The rest of you all who think otherwise, well so be it. But your Confederate flag, your Dixie ideals, it is insulting to those dead Union boys. It is horrific to the oppressed.
    I'll drink beers with you if you promise to acknowledge who won and was right. Then as now.
    Get over it. It's just a stupid symbol of hate to the oppressed It can be put away tonight. If we want to. Shall we?
    Cheers.

23. billandsuz

Some things need to be cancelled Jack.
    It's not a Thursday night sitcom after all.
    Cheers.

24. Tallerboy

Tallerboy Initiate (143) Jun 17, 2017 New York
    Trader

DE and PA are on the not Dixie side of Mason-Dixon Line, now the Price of SNPA in MD that's crossing the Line.

Ronmarley1 likes this.
  25. Tallerboy

Trader

It's a geographic line in the dirt, Dixie is area south of Mason-Dixon Line.

BrewsOverHoes likes this.
  26. JackHorzempa

Society

And some things don't. Who is the 'authority' here?

Cheers!

27. Tallerboy

Trader

Where the poor Irish immigrants who started the Draft Riots of 1863 on the wrong side of history because they didn't want to conscripted into a war to be cannon fodder? Was it their duty to leave their families risk life and limb because they couldn't afford the $300 buy out like the upper class folks. History is messy, if it is broken down into good vs evil or right vs wrong it becomes propaganda.

28. Tallerboy

Trader

Ministry of Truth.

tzieser, ChicagoJ, Prep8611 and 2 others like this.
  29. JackHorzempa

Society

LOL! :grin:

I can see you are a 'fan' of 1984.

Has anybody come up with: Ministry of Facts?:thinking_face:

Cheers!

officerbill and ChicagoJ like this.
  30. draheim

Society

In this case, I think the owners of the brewery have the right to make this decision.

31. JackHorzempa

Society

And they had over 100 years to decide if they wanted to make a name change. I am pretty sure you are smart enough to know what is happening now.

Cheers!

officerbill, pjeagles and Tilley4 like this.
  32. billandsuz

History is messy.

What-about-ism is a poor defense. This is not a simple "good vs. evil" moment in history..And as someone who actually has a suddenly less useless undergrad in History I am ultra qualified.

I am going to drop out here, because I am not here to change your mind. You'll do it on your own. Maybe some day you'll see an old can of Dixie beer and think My God, What were they thinking?! I suggest you spread the word about the Draft Riots and not use it as a defense for the indefensible.

Or perhaps not.

33. cu29

cu29 Initiate (134) Sep 26, 2005 Wisconsin

So the new owners of Dixie Brewery decided to cancel the historic Dixie Brewery name.
    Pitiful.

Plop.
    Flush.

34. gyorgymarlowe

Trader

A lot of white men with fixed mindsets and who are comfortable being privileged don't want to surrender the privileges they are long used to. That is happening now.

35. JackHorzempa

Society

There is a lot happening now and cancel culture is one of those things.

Cheers!

officerbill likes this.
  36. draheim

Society

Yes. That they realized something they should have realized a long time ago. Which is human nature.

Look, unfortunately we are now caught in a dichotomy where people are basically forced to take one of two positions on most issues and then ride that out to its most extreme conclusions. This doesn’t help anyone. If Dixie decided to change their name for whatever reason, who are we to criticize it? I thought this was supposed to be a free country.

37. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,562) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I prefer the plan where they keep their name and change their logo to this:
    [​IMG]

38. JackHorzempa

Society

Ah, something we can agree on.
    If some business is pressured to make a change by an "extreme conclusion" then I believe that criticism can be levied.

Things can't just be the way you (or some other "extreme conclusion") want them to be. That is what a "free country" is truly all about.

Cheers!

39. gyorgymarlowe

Trader

I agree with you that cancel culture exists. Sometimes it cancels things that need to be canceled though. People and things that are or that support racism, sexism, or outdated beliefs.

Do you think that 100% of things being canceled recently should stay?

40. JackHorzempa

Society

I already addressed this above: "Who is the 'authority' here?"

I will state right now that I am not the 'authority' to cancel things. Are you?

Cheers!

officerbill, Prep8611 and riptorn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.