Do people still go crazy for KBS?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Biff_Tannen, Apr 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I don't know of any BA Stout that's out there that's easily available that's better. To be honest I like BC Coffee a bit better, but KBS is still a great beer, I'd buy more if I found it local. I'm in WA state this week and I can buy all I want, but I'm not spending $75 to ship it home on top of the price. I have some BA Ten Fidy hanging around but I'm still sitting on it.

2. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (275) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

I would hate to be in the brewery business. I realize everyones different with prices in mind. For you, what would you pay for this beer in 4 pack form? Lagunitas HW prices? What alternatives are half the cost? I'm talking price/oz. here. That's about a $11.50/bomber.

I think its a steal. People are still dropping $12 on regular ol IPAs in bombers, let alone $18 BA stouts that dont even come close to this quality. I couldnt find one that can match the price and the quality.

DAMN, we're spoiled.

And in the Parabola thread, people aren't willing to drop $10 on a smaller format. These breweries can't win.

Where are these honeypots of amazing beer that people are drinking at such better values and quality than this? So much around me is also in draft only form. That format is the worst of the worst.

I've seen 9+ cases sitting around my way for almost a week now (no limit). My area is pretty baron of this sort of quality & value, and they still aren't seeing the apparent value, so you arent the only one @LarryV

#82 Oktoberfiesta, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  3. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,170) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Still a great beer, but tons of options with the exploision of craft beer have diminished the "whaleish" status it had 5 or 6 years ago.

johnnybgood1999, Brolo75 and Premo88 like this.
  4. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky

Can't compare to past batches, but I had 2016 Abraxas at Side Project Cellar in St. Louis and loved it. Also had 2016 KBS a year ago and thought it was excellent. I've had a lot of great beer since last year so I'll be interested to see if I'm as fond of 2017 KBS.

5. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,059) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Unless something has changed very recently, my understanding is that the base beer is different for CBS than it is for KBS. So not really a variant.

6. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,609) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

BA stouts I like better than KBS;
    • BCBS
    • Prairie BA Bomb, Coffee Noir, Pirate Bomb
    • Abyss
    • BA Fidy
    • Surly BA Darkness
    I expect when I try Rum BA Fidy and Founders CBS they'll be on the list - and plenty of others would be on the list if I could get them here. Still, KBS at $20/pack is worth it, particularly compared to prices of the ones I listed above. At $25+ a pack, that's retailers getting what they can, and although that's good for profits, they'll lose customers like me.

Invinciblejets likes this.
  7. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Champion (800) Apr 17, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Yes. Just look at the latest What Beer Are You Drinking Now post - usually in an Initech mug.

8. HOP_KING

HOP_KING Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2013 Illinois

Sure I can, and I did. When you have been here for as long and started as many intellectual threads and shared as much wisdom as hop king has it's completely acceptable.

But you wouldn't know this, since you are a younger brethren getting into the hobby much later and as it's become much more saturated and about profits. It's okay though, cheers.

9. jimmypa

jimmypa Initiate (166) Nov 15, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Sat the past 2 years out and don't regret it, it's good but not amazing and not worth the hassle. It's funny to watch some people go bat shit over stuff like this... Also prices have gotten ridiculous and don't even get me started on Black Note.

Invinciblejets likes this.
  10. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,059) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

They're saying he/she can't compare (presumably because they hadn't tried it prior to the 2016 batch), not that you shouldn't

A Biff thread with HOP KING contributing. Doesn't get better than that. Very #fbf 2015

11. Alexmc2

Alexmc2 Aspirant (255) Jul 29, 2006 New Hampshire

This is one of the beers that is always on my calendar. I get the impression that this isn't the 'it' beer anymore, but it certainly is still in high demand. I had to put my name on a list to get a 4-pack, which seems about right. But not anything like BCBS Rare or Parabola, or even what the old Kate The Great used to be like.

12. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,460) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I don't mind having 1-2 12oz bottles a year and pay $8 each for them. I will share each with 1-2 other people every time. KBS and Bourbon County (regular) are still world class stouts and still at/near the top of the pack IMO despite all the rare-smaller batch local stuff out there today (which some may be a little better). Anyone who says BA stout "insert name" blows away either of those is really just fooling themselves and misleading others.

sculls65 likes this.
  13. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky

Sorry, you misunderstood. I meant I can't compare to past batches, because I haven't had them, not that you weren't allowed to.

Cheers :slight_smile:

14. beersite

beersite Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2016 Illinois

it seems like there is just a ton more of it. kind of like hopslam.

15. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Defender (685) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

I'm with you... its a different year when "something in the back/behind the counter" is just wheeled out on a pallet for display

16. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (347) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

KBS is a good stout. If they want to get back on the top of the radar, they gotta do VANILLA kbs.

erik_c likes this.
  17. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Champion (824) Dec 12, 2014 Chile

Oh god, please noo

rozzom and BeerPugz like this.
  18. GetTheYayo

GetTheYayo Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

I don't understand the hype surrounding this beer. I mean yeah, it's good, but worthy of a 100 pt rating? Hardly. And I can't for the life of me see how they age this for a year because the barrel is very, very subtle.

ebin6 and skleice like this.
  19. BeerPugz

BeerPugz Initiate (81) Dec 4, 2016 Wisconsin

I like some BA w/ vanilla, but a vanilla KBS would be disgusting.

eldoctorador likes this.
  20. flaskman

flaskman Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2015 New York

It is a great beer. The issue as I see it is that many of us have an educated pallet when compared to the recent past and there are many many more great choices out there that were not there even a couple of years ago. I bought a case and will enjoy every sip.

eldoctorador, Junior and jrnyc like this.
  21. GetTheYayo

GetTheYayo Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

Darkstar vs KBS? Which will I choose, hmmm.....

22. threeviews

threeviews Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2011 Florida

There are so many quality adjunct-laden BBA Stouts. I have had many and enjoyed them all but now I focus on quality, availability (in my area, no driving...no lines) and price per ounce:
    - Sunday Morning Stout (Weyerbacher) - $15/4-Pack = $.31 per ounce....NO LIMIT (coffee but no chocolate)
    - High West-ified Imperial Coffee Stout (Lagunitas) - $12/6-Pack = .16 per ounce...NO LIMIT (coffee but no chocolate)
    - KBS (Founders) - $22/4-Pack = $.46 per ounce...Limit, but varying (coffee & chocolate)
    - BBA TEN FIDY (Oskar Blues) - $11/19.2oz can (each) = $.57 per ounce...Limit to 1-2 cans (no adjuncts...but a first-runnings beer)
    - BCBS (Goose Island) - $10/16.9oz bottle (each) = $..59 per ounce...VERY limited in my area (no adjuncts, higher gravity than all previously listed)

All are delicious...and IMO, all listed are world class. That said, I am MORE than happy with scoring bunches of SMS and High West-ified at those price points without needing to travel, wait in line or be relegated to limits.

KBS is great and if you've never had it, I heard the 2017 batch is decadent. I won't necessarily turn down a bottle but it needs to "hit me in the head" for me to purchase.

It is a beautiful day in craft beer with all of these wonderful varieties.

Cheers

23. OKbrew89

OKbrew89 Crusader (785) May 13, 2013 Oklahoma

In Oklahoma, people are less crazy than last year but it still sold fast. It was released yesterday and I paid $5.99 per 12 oz bottle. There was a 2 bottle limit for 12 oz bottles and 1 bottle limit for bombers, and stores were out this afternoon. Last year it was sold out in 8 hours.

24. h4ger

h4ger Zealot (509) Feb 5, 2011 Connecticut
    Trader

I scored my first KBS, a 2016 on March 30th for $7, I got a 4-pk on Monday from the same store for $7 ea. Normally I avoid that price point but the reputation sucked me in. The limit was a 4-pk or bomber per person and they were in the back, not on display so no ask no get. Another store had only bombers left on Monday, 1-per for $19.99. Other stores didn't even have it yet from what I was told.

I stopped at a store today I don't normally go to and at the checkout the Indian guy told me he had some KBS if i wanted but I had to buy another Founders item to have the option to buy it. (The quantity he gets is based on Founders sales for the year.) I explained that was illegal and he got all nervous and told me I should leave now. Jackass ...wont be going in there again

#104 h4ger, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Junior likes this.
  25. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,846) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

You should have told him while you were leaving that you'll be calling the Feds and for him to expect a visit from them early next week. :wink:

26. h4ger

h4ger Zealot (509) Feb 5, 2011 Connecticut
    Trader

Close, He said "Some people do not like that they must buy something else to get but that is how it is. They do not have to buy."

I said "Well, my uncle used to work for the liquor commission and that is highly illegal." I am tempted to call and report his ass but I don't wanna be "that guy" Jackass deserves it though, his prices are usually high anyway lol

Jaycase likes this.
  27. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

I'd argue yes if you're one who likes a more balanced approach with the barrels. I typically find KBS best at around the 8 month mark where it softens up and the coffee bitterness subdues some and the vanilla from the barrels is more apparent. Fantastic barrel aged stout that's not so in your face so to speak...

KBS, jakecattleco, BeerPugz and 2 others like this.
  28. IPA1978

IPA1978 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2009 Missouri

I'm not a huge imp stout fan but do enjoy the bourbon barrel aged variety. KBS is a solid brew but like many have said local beers of the same type have become readily available.

29. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (5,277) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Fixed that for you.

30. papposilenus

papposilenus Poo-Bah (2,063) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Society

This is the first year I've had it but my impression was that the coffee was barely evident at all until right at the finish and that the vanilla is very prominent right now. The barrel character is very mellow and it's hard to imagine that I'd want it to smooth out much more than it already has.

I had a surreal experience in my local supermarket today when I came across a fully stocked display of KBS 4-packs and shoppers pushing their carts past it without even turning to look. So I stopped, looked around, and started piling them into my cart. When I got to the check out, I was expecting sirens and shit to start going off but the cashier just asked if I'd found everything I was looking for today, I said 'hell, yeah' and they bagged it and said 'thank you,' and sent me on my way. So, now I have an obscene quantity of this in my basement.

Prince_Casual, KBS, PaulElk and 3 others like this.
  31. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (485) Mar 5, 2014 New York

I certainly thought about buying some. Wenot to two places today. 2nd beer store had KBS, 4 packs were 27.99. 1st store did not, but found backwoods bastard there marked down to 10.99 a 4pack

Gladly went with BB!

Brolo75 likes this.
  32. Beersnob724

Beersnob724 Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2016 Ohio

Was just thinking same thing. I paid $11 for BA Fidy. And $5.99 for KBS. Would take the BA fFidy all day. Actually, would take the 14.99 Sunday Morning Stout 4 pack over all of em.... cheers!!!

bbtkd likes this.
  33. Beersnob724

Beersnob724 Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2016 Ohio

Thanks to people like you I drove 35 miles to get KBS that was posted for sale by them online. I get there and couldn't find it. Ask for a manager. They apologize and say a "newer employee let someone purchase cases " I had no words and walked out empty handed....

34. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Champion (887) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

I am a long time lurker first time poster. This thread actually made me sign up immediately to post.

I live in NW Indiana. This place is abysmal for KBS in general. I found 1 store an hour from me in Lafayette that is doing a 2 bottle limit tomorrow morning. Only store in a lafayette to get it.

I found 1 store in a small town that did not get much, but the mostly yokal locals and college kids know little enough that they are doing 1 4-pack.

I ended up being out of town for the release, headed to WI. Due to timing, it was not easy to get. I ended up calling every store I could find that sold founders West of Fort Wayne and north of I70, and all stores in Indi. Stores in south bend pretty much limited it to either 2 bottles a person or 1 4 pack. Most did lists. Found several in Valparaiso that were doing 1 bottle each. Found a number of other stores doing 1/2 bottle each. Every store sold out (at least of the nearly 30 that I called on) the same day. Of the 20+ stores I visited to try to get some, everyone sold out within 3 hours except 2. They all got shipments about Noon, and so many individuals who could not leave work were screwed.

I also checked Urbana-Champagne, and only found 2 stories that got it in.

I have visited the well-ranked beer stores in Lafayette, Indi, and Urbana-champagne, and short of a limited release like this I have yet to see a stout on the shelf that has a Ba rating above maybe 95 in Indi or Lafayette. Usually 92 is the highest.

My personal opinion is that virtually every "regular" stout and porter I have tried has been too strong/boozy. Founders "basic" porter is a 99 and good, but by my standards I would noy say drinkable. I couldn't do more than maybe 6 ounces. This is coming from a guy who loves malt and malty beer and liquor. It just isn't smooth at all to me.

I have had the Lagunitas, but no access to the weyerbacher. Personally did not like the lagunitas.

I have tried a lot of Barrel aged beer, and I think they are almost always way too aggressive from the boozy aspect.

I have tried the central waters barrel aged and hate it. It is far too strong for me. I am not sure exactly what the aggressive flavor profile is that is too strong, but I found it similar to DB Jesus - which I also want about 3 ounces of. DB Jesus was also sweet as shit - a complete desert stout if I have ever had one.

It is very typical for me to pay $5 a beer for a bunch of the traditional Belgians, so ~$22/4pack after tax feels completely reasonable. Lolita (if I can find it in small bottles) is $8/12 oz.

I tried KBS for the first time last night. It was the best stout I have ever had. -The only stout I have actually bought after trying. It is within the top 3 beers I have ever had.

I understand that compared to the BA community I have tried relatively few beers. I do not have access or the money to get any of the stuff that does not distribute here. I also don't have the ability to drive to releases just to get said beer. That said, I disagree 100% that there is good (and cheaper) alternatives constantly sitting around. I also disagree that there are tons of local breweries doing great things. There are a few. I think most do a lot of extremely mediocre beer. Maybe I am too finicky, too picky? Maybe other people just like everything way more than I do.

Long story short. I have bought as much KBS as I can find. I have worked my tail off and glad that I have. If they release CBS this year as expected, I am going to do whatever I have to in order to get my name on a list or two and see if I can make it to the release event that I am sure they will do in Grand Rapids. I would gladly pay for the opportunity to buy that beer.

BTW. Really looking forward to being a member of this community. Everyone is so nice, and I so value this discussion.

35. Kinsman

Kinsman Champion (880) Aug 26, 2009 Nevada

I'm not going to say KBS is definitively the best bourbon barrel stout, but I also don't trust most peoples palates. I'd be willing to bet that everyone who says it's 'meh' or 'overrated' wouldn't be so quick to say that in a blind taste test. People are always going to say the new beer of the moment is better than what came before it.

Whole Foods down in Reno had plenty of it and my local store here in town had some as well. I grabbed a couple of 4-packs and now I probably won't buy another bourbon barrel stout for several months.

36. GregA135

GregA135 Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2014 Pennsylvania

I know in Western PA it flies off the shelves. I called around to 3 different distributors and each of them had only 3-5 cases. The one Giant Eagle Market District had 5 cases and were selling out quick with a 2 bottle limit. The one distributor by my house was offering me a case but I only took two 4 packs just so other people can grab some. KBS flies off the shelves here because Western PA has some of the shittiest distribution I have ever encountered (it has gotten better) so when people find it they just grab it

37. threedjmay

threedjmay Initiate (37) Apr 27, 2014 Iowa

Interesting that Abyss Brandy Variants here are sitting on shelves, but but could be at the price point of almost $30 with tax it just isn't a good value with other BA beers you can find.

KBS was released April 1st here and some stores sold out in less than an hour, but most stores didn't get more than a few cases.

38. papposilenus

papposilenus Poo-Bah (2,063) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Society

Myself, I sort of loosely group stouts into two broad categories, dry-and-dusty or sweet-and-syrupy and, unfortunately for me, barrel-aged stouts typically fall into the sweet-and-syrupy camp. I love dry and dusty stouts but I can't tolerate the sweet and syrupy ones. For me, KBS seems to fall dead-smack in the middle between the dry and sweet so I get to enjoy the barrel aging without the sensation of drinking booze-reduction pancake syrup - all due respect to those that enjoy that sort of thing.

I'm not.

39. PaulElk

PaulElk Initiate (110) Dec 30, 2016 New Jersey

To answer the OP's title in two words...Fuck Yeah!

40. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Zealot (556) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Apparently. Heard it's way overrated. My brother is saving me 2 of his 4 pack, so I will be able to review it for myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.