Do you always use a glass?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hop-Droppen-Roll, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JT99125

JT99125 May 7, 2013 New Jersey

It really depends on whether I am feeling lazy or not. If I'm feeling lazy, i'll pour it into a shaker "pint" glass without any logos on them so I can put them in the dishwasher safely. Otherwise almost everything else goes into a tulip/snifter because I hand wash those only and I love them. I only ever drink maybe the last half oz out of the bottle. If I don't have glasses present, I'll find plastic cups/fast food cup because I still want to smell my beer no matter what..

"Never frozen, always fresh"

2. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Oct 13, 2013 Michigan

Haha, glad you knew I was being goofy as my response was rediculous. Too much butthurt on this site sometimes. Didn't know that was a knee deep caricature as all I've had from them is simtra and the citra pale (and live in the Midwest with 0 distribution). That actually is my girlfriend though, so please don't make fun of her weight as shes very sensitive about it...
    P.S.we all love to feel young again after how old and decrepit all this beer makes us feel, Cheers ma man!

3. Brew_Junkie

Brew_Junkie Dec 13, 2013 Delaware

I generally use a glass, especially the more complex or higher ABV I'm drinking. That being said... Dogfish "Immortal Ale" is a completely different beer when you drink it from the bottle. It's still delicious, but it seems the flavors change a bit

4. Jacob007

Jacob007 Sep 18, 2012 New Hampshire
    Trader

I don't always use a glass.... But when I do I am not drinking swill! Stay thirsty my friends.

JT99125 likes this.
  5. mrk829

mrk829 Aug 1, 2008 Georgia

yes always do unless no glass is available but that pretty much never happens (maybe once in 50 odd scenarios)

6. cyde

cyde Feb 12, 2012 Texas

I like to pour when I'm at home whether it be a snifter, mason jar, or Yahtzee shaker. If I'm out fishing or hunting, I don't mind crushing some cans to the dome or sipping out the bottle.

7. jmgrub

jmgrub Nov 20, 2010 California

I drink macros out of the can/bottle in the shower sometimes and tend to drink SNPA places where they don't give you a glass with your beer, like weddings and whatnot.

8. Bond111

Bond111 Feb 14, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

I would say 98% of the time. I have 2 Sierra Nevada IPA glasses, 1 of the DFH versions, 2 Toppling Goliath chalices, a Boulevard tulip, all get used, all get handwashed. I'd rather drink from a glass, as to it appeals more to the senses. I didn't drink from a glass this summer during an outdoor wedding, & that's all I can recall.

With that said, do whatever pleases you. I don't mind washing a glass, & if they aren't clean, I take the 2 mins to wash it. Even have a scrubbe for only beer glasses. Might be a little too obsessive, but I am particular about my beer.

As long as you enjoy drinking craft, do whatever pleases you.

9. Mersh

Mersh Mar 10, 2013 Connecticut

Yes. Haven't drank from a bottle in almost 3 years.

10. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

The only time I don't use a glass is when I'm camping in the mountains, and lately I've been known to bring a pint glass along. Yeah, I've become that guy.

11. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Mar 26, 2011 California

Yes and I always extend my pinky in proper fashion.

VABA and Hop-Droppen-Roll like this.
  12. firstlighthiker

firstlighthiker Dec 26, 2012 Tennessee

Just witnessed my daughter's boyfriend drink a Bell's Expedition Stout from the bottle . Was really hard not to comment on it. In fact I found myself staring at his behavior much like staring at the mess when passing a car wreck.I think he caught on and had the good sense to get a glass when I offered him a PtE.

13. ironchefkook

ironchefkook Nov 5, 2013 California

Yes, always a glass. Mostly because ever since homebrewing, I've been OCD about sanitation and dont want to put my mouth on a bottle.

14. FanofHefe

FanofHefe Feb 13, 2010 Illinois

Most of the time, probably 98% of the time. But, when the weather is hot, I really love a Bells Oberon or Two Hearted out of the bottle after yard work or other hot outside activities. I also really like Modus Hoperandi out of the can in the summer.

15. Das_Reh

Das_Reh Mar 25, 2013 Florida

I almost always use a glass if I can. If I can't have a glass, I'll use a mason jar. If I can't have a jar, I'll usually wait.

Knee_Deep_Fan likes this.
  16. Boto

Boto Apr 26, 2003 Connecticut

God, no. Sometimes a beer is just a beer.

Hop-Droppen-Roll likes this.
  17. Bradthoc

Bradthoc Jan 26, 2011 Nevada

I tend to always use a glass. However, on the off chance I don't, it depends on the beer. I would tend not to use a glass more when drinking a lager, or pale ale, than If I were drinking an IPA, stout, or sour.

18. Pintofbrown

Pintofbrown Jun 25, 2011 Texas

^^^

That was the end of the thread right there. This went on for 2 pages too long.

Spikester likes this.
  19. cello

cello Oct 17, 2013 Pennsylvania

I'm the opposite. Drinking out of the glass make me drink faster. I do rather enjoy it more out of a glass though.

20. Dreizhen

Dreizhen Jun 6, 2013 District of Columbia

If it's good beer, I go from the glass. Only exception is Sam Adams. I've had so many and almost all of the varieties. Something about it just makes me want to drink it from the bottle on my porch.

21. jacobbocce72

jacobbocce72 Dec 18, 2011 Texas

Im pretty sure you're only allowed to drink Session from the bottle... This is the one beer I always drink from the bottle, just something about the stubby.

22. AdamF625

AdamF625 Nov 25, 2010 Massachusetts

No, it depends on why And where I'm drinking. In a social setting I'm not grabbing my duvel for a session beer. When I'm home I always use sweet glassware.

23. ryannosaurus

ryannosaurus Dec 1, 2013 Arizona

I never take glassware camping, so yes, I'll drink any beer out of a bottle or can in a rustic environment. Back in civilization, I'll pour to a glass 99.9% of the time... I make an attempt to give my fave snifter a good rinse at the end of the night (unless it's a really good night), so cleanup the next day isn't a great effort.

24. feloniousmonk

feloniousmonk Nov 14, 2002 Minnesota
    Society

yes. and yes.

25. WadeBridgman

WadeBridgman Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Whether in a can or bottle it just goes straight into a glass for me... (room temp glass of course)

26. robgage

robgage Dec 19, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

You HAVE to drink out of a glass. It blew my mind once I realized how it improved the drinking experience!

27. kwakwhore

kwakwhore Nov 1, 2004 North Carolina
    Trader

28. robwestcott

robwestcott Nov 3, 2008 Indiana

29. Jsteez

Jsteez Apr 28, 2012 Utah

Glass 99.5% of the time. A bottle when it's an adjunct or when I am at a pub and they are serving cheap beer only.

30. NickMunford

NickMunford Oct 2, 2006 Wyoming

Bottles are made out of glass, so yes:wink:

31. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

I say drink it however you damn well please. Don't listen to these people who think they are holier than thou just because they refuse to drink from a bottle. I've had a variety of different Prairie Bombs out of the bottle on occasion because I didn't want to drink out of a plastic cup and noticed no difference in taste when compared to drinking it from a glass.

32. crewfan16

crewfan16 Jan 11, 2010 Minnesota

I almost always use a glass. I'm that guy who comes to get-togethers or parties with his own beer glass (and usually a cooler on wheels full of beer). it has turned into the running joke when i get together with friends, and has caused other people who enjoy beer to follow me and bring their own glasses. Even outside at the cabin, I have a decent plastic clear pint glass to pour beer into. I like seeing the beer im drinking for some reason. the only time in recent memory i havent used a glass is probably on a golf course pounding spotted cows (and even then we used plastic cups to share some bombers we snuck on the course). All of that being said, I think there is no right or wrong answer to this question, as long as you enjoy the beer.

33. JBogan

JBogan Jul 15, 2007 California
    Trader

At home, yes I always use a glass. When I'm out somewhere such as a picnic or at a friend's house or walking down the strip here in Vegas, then I'll drink out of a bottle. But the vast majority of beer I drink is at home and of good quality, so yes it's always in a glass.

34. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

Yes, unless it's a beer I have had before and I am quite familiar with, like Anchor Steam.

35. Spikester

Spikester Jul 14, 2007 Oregon
    Society

The best reason of all to always use a glass. You can detect any foreign object before it passes your lips!
    I won't go into the details but it was a large soggy insect!

Hop-Droppen-Roll likes this.
  36. addiwilliams

addiwilliams Apr 4, 2011 Virginia

Good beer with good aroma= glass. Cheap beer that smells bad= bottle or can (preferably can)

37. hellhammermario

hellhammermario Jun 18, 2012 North Carolina

Related question - Does a bear shit in the woods?

If you answered "Almost always," you win!

38. chuckv

chuckv Apr 19, 2013 Pennsylvania

If its a new beer for me I will use a glass. just so I can see the color and stuff. but if its cheap beer right out of bottle. I love my glasses as much as I love beer.

39. Torch_Lake

Torch_Lake Aug 4, 2013 Ohio

If a glass is available, I'll always use it. But if I'm outside at a BBQ, and especially if I have nowhere to sit or set the drink down, I'll just drink it out of the bottle or can. Granted, in those situations, I don't expect the host to be serving high-quality beer, and I'm definitely not going to take over a sixer of my finest. If I know that's the situation when I buy the beer, I'll go for cans over bottles; All-Day IPA or Dale's work just fine. On the rare occasion I drink a macro anymore, I don't dignify it with a glass.

But yeah, if I'm at home or any other more controlled environment like a bar or restaurant, I use a glass every time.

Crusader and bheerman like this.
  40. concealed

concealed May 7, 2009 Georgia

97%+ of the time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.