Do you care what your beer gets served in?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by sixa66, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sponan

Sponan Initiate (192) Jan 20, 2008 Tennessee

As long as I received the correct number of ounces, then I am typically unconcerned. If it is a beer bar charging premium pricing serving in pint glasses/running out of proper glassware, I would consider taking my business elsewhere in the future.

DarkerTheBetter likes this.
  2. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Defender (651) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

Yes, I do care what my beer is served in. I rarely go to bars anymore, but when I'm willing to spend the money for a night out I would like my beers to be served appropriately.

sixa66 likes this.
  3. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (5,679) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

I prefer to have beer served in a glass appropriate to the style but in the end as long as I have it in a glass I'm not willing to die over it.

4. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (606) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

Your opinion will change if you ever find a place that doesn't know what they are serving and are doing full pint glass pours of BCBS for $4

5. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,919) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I care very much what my beer comes in, particularly weizens and English ales.

I also hate 14 oz. "shaker" pints, especially when they've got the wrong beer (i.e. Belgian Pale) in them!

And in general, unless I'm getting the branded glass with a special beer, I also hate the small pours (10 oz. or less) when I'm out - I want a pint, dammit! I understand that it's done for cost, and so that the customer doesn't think it's too expensive (a small beer for $6 would cost $9 in a "pint" glass) but unless it's a great beer that I want to savor I'm going to end up drinking it and waiting to get another beer. (I totally make an exception if it's a rare beer and they want to share the love).

6. MaltLickyWithTheCandy

MaltLickyWithTheCandy Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2013 Maryland

Snifter for a quality stout. Other than that, no preference

TCJ0100 likes this.
  7. mohawk5

mohawk5 Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2014 New Jersey

It'll never happen as long as big beverage houses like Diageo keep throwing money at the show. The only beer they seem to promote are Guinness and Heineken.

8. Bosoxfan20

Bosoxfan20 Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Missouri

I can only hope to be so lucky...You find that place around the KC area and you let me know

9. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (936) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I long as I can see that it's clean I'm ok.

frozen-1984 likes this.
  10. Plasmafunk

Plasmafunk Initiate (171) Jan 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Clean and not frosted is good enough for me.

11. bman13

bman13 Aspirant (259) Mar 19, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

I just Looooooove it when a good imperial stout is poured into a kwak glass.

Kidding :slight_smile:

12. DarkerTheBetter

DarkerTheBetter Poo-Bah (1,577) Sep 30, 2005 Minnesota

Just to echo the two criteria I look for,

1.) I get served the actual ounces that the menu states, and

2.) the glass is actually made of glass.

Frozen glasses are ridiculous, but not a deal-breaker. I'll also add that frosted glassware (opaque micro-textured glass, not just really cold) is absolutely disgusting. Seems like a good idea on paper, but the actual execution is hideous.

If you bitch about drinking a beer out of a tulip when it "should have" been served in a snifter... I got nothing polite to say.

13. FaradayUncaged

FaradayUncaged Defender (663) Oct 24, 2014 Michigan

Even more so when it's something like a hefeweizen.

Generally, I try not to be 'that snobish' about these types of things. As long as it's not a frosted pint glass, it's generally a non-issue.

Now when I'm home and have control, I change glasses along with the style (but not always...as I like a snifter for almost anything).

DiUr likes this.
  14. JordanRichart

JordanRichart Initiate (99) Aug 11, 2014 Indiana

As long as it is not a frosted glass, I'm good. My worst nightmare is a Witbeir in a frosted mug.

15. pnelting

pnelting Aspirant (283) Nov 17, 2014 Texas
    Trader

As long as it's clean and not frosted I'm happy.

frozen-1984 likes this.
  16. horsehockey

horsehockey Aspirant (204) Jul 31, 2014 Illinois

To answer the original question, yes. I was once served an imperial stout with no glass at all. They simply popped the top off the bottle and set it in front of me. When I asked for a glass the bartender looked at me like I was crazy, but she reluctantly handed me a pint glass. Granted, it's a sports bar and most of their sales are from BMC beer which is generally consumed straight from the bottle, but if you're going to serve craft you should probably do a little research on it.

So yes I would prefer a tulip for saisons, and a snifter for imperial stouts, etc.... but if I get a glass I'm not going to complain. I'm still disappointed when I'm given a frosty mug. I generally just hold it in my hands and try to melt the frost before I pour.

17. sixa66

sixa66 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 Florida

I would always ask "would you like this in a glass" when serving and if they did I poured it in there myself as that was my job. A good tap house knows what to do. Although, I have been to places where I get a strange look when I ask for a glass because like you mentioned its typically in a place that sells beers that come in pitchers.

18. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (409) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

I'm more concerned about tap lines and short pours than correct glassware.

Roxie_B, TCJ0100, Bosoxfan20 and 3 others like this.
  19. 4ingredients

4ingredients Initiate (0) May 22, 2009 Massachusetts

Yes, I do prefer the beer I ordered to be served in appropriate glassware. In many instances I do not say anything if it is a reasonable 'substitute' vessel, but in some cases I have asked directly for new pours when the server has had no idea.

Overall, I am quite pleased with the attention to detail the bartenders execute towards. To me, glassware for beer is equally as important to the proper glassware used when serving wine or mixed drinks. I believe the majority of unknowing mistakes tend to occur when waiters/waitresses are allowed to execute the pour.

20. sixa66

sixa66 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 Florida

I've traveled quite a bit this past year and it was interesting to see where states/regions stood on craft beer. Obviously craft beer industry has grown rapidly in the past couple years and I think a lot of places I have visited you can tell whether or not they have any beer knowledge. Ultimately there are a lot of people that just assume a beer is a beer.

I think a lot of it is just lack of training because craft beer is still relatively new for a lot of places.

21. iTunesUpdates

iTunesUpdates Disciple (359) May 7, 2014 Florida

I do care, that's why I go to pubs that know their glassware.

brywhite and sixa66 like this.
  22. Sponan

Far fewer glass options are required for wine.

23. crowellbw

crowellbw Aspirant (261) Dec 1, 2010 Washington

Ask for a wine glass next time. Its effectively a snifter and all sports bars have them to serve whatever god awful house red to soccer moms.

24. Sponan

I should add my expectations differ depending on the type of establishment. If I am going to a sports bar which has a few craft options, I don't expect anything other than a pint glass. If I am going to a craft beer bar, I think proper glassware is a reasonable expectation.

sixa66 likes this.
  25. elkabong

elkabong Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2014 Wisconsin

doesn't matter to me at all
    so long as they don't pull it out of the freezer is all

26. mohawk5

mohawk5 Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2014 New Jersey

One thing that bothers me when I order a 12oz bottle and they pour the whole thing in the glass and throw the bottle away. I like a half pour and I like to pour the rest in myself as I finish it.

DiUr likes this.
  27. fureousangel

fureousangel Initiate (0) May 19, 2012 California

At my house or a friend with goods, it matters. At a pub or brewery, their house, their rules.

28. mabermud

mabermud Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2006 Washington

I don't mind, as long as it is not served in glass, and is the correct size in ounces. The days of receiving a full pour are gone, now many places are serving by the ounce. What a disappointment - 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 16, ounces...

29. Wiscobrew

Wiscobrew Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2011 Nevada

La Folie in a Pint glass is where it's at. Typically $5-6 a pour here and highly crushable...

...is this the binge drinking thread...

30. AricGresko

AricGresko Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2014 Pennsylvania

I prefer the correct glassware, but a normal pint glass will suffice for me for most beers. If it's a very highly touted beer, I want the correct glassware. If it's an average beer, I'm not so concerned. Frosted glasses is a no except for macro beers like Bud Light, etc.

31. mnrider

mnrider Crusader (740) May 26, 2009 Connecticut

I only drink out of dirty frosted shaker pint glasses.

ChicagoGuy and Black_Rider like this.
  32. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Devotee (471) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

Around here I pretty much expect my draft beer to come in a standard pint glass. Only the more craft-dedicated bars with big selections use different styles of glass based on the beer. One bar I like gives you the option of a regular 16 oz glass or an 11 oz snifter for a little less (which is what I usually go for).

33. spaceman24

spaceman24 Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2008 Texas

Ever drunk beer from a shoe?

34. KingCobra686

KingCobra686 Initiate (129) Aug 13, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

I generally dont mind. I often prefer drinking out of the bottle rather than pouring into a glass. I am not a fan of pint glasses though, unless its a very generic beer. Drinking a small amount of a high abv beer out of a pint glass always just feels like im drinking the last backwash end up a regular drink.

35. BigOldOaf

BigOldOaf Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2011 Massachusetts

I'm generally not picky, but I don't think ANY beer should be served in a mason jar. Every time I've had a beer out of a mason jar it just hasn't tasted very good. My guess is that the shape of the glass suppresses the aroma which in turn affects the taste. The thick lip is also rather unpleasant.

36. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (2,641) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

Are they, uh, filling growlers too?

37. pagriley

pagriley Meyvn (1,027) Oct 27, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I would actually disagree - wine has the same problem beer has - there are actually a few different glass shapes that are intended for different styles of wine, just most places don't bother and have 1 or 2 types of glass. Below is a link to a reasonable set of standard glassware that I would expect a good restaurant with a sommelier to have:

http://www.wineenthusiast.com/complete-fusion-classic-wine-glass-collection-(set-of-20).asp

Basically 5 standard types of wine glass, but if they serve Brandy etc... you would add in snifters (so 6). Beer seems to require about the same by the time you include Pilsner, Weizen, Tulip, Snifter, and a standard pint, you need at least 5 to cover basic beers in a bar.

To answer the OP, if a bar is claiming themselves to be 'craft focused' then I expect the correct glass. I also particularly appreciate when they use glassware that actually has the oz mark on the side so you know the pour you are getting. I spent time in England when younger, and they are pretty strict on short pours, so a lot of the bars used glassware that had a mark on it, and the volume stated - seems simple enough, but I rarely see it here...

DiUr likes this.
  38. Srkolodn

Srkolodn Disciple (305) Dec 26, 2013 New York
    Trader

I never want to be served anything in a pint glass. Id rather not have the beer, it ruins the experience for me. I dont think this is stuck up, the pint glass flat out undercuts every beer served in it.

39. JMS1512

JMS1512 Crusader (776) Feb 18, 2013 New Jersey

I bet Garrett Oliver does, too.

Bosoxfan20 likes this.
  40. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Aspirant (230) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

Correct glassware for the style and the glass better have the logo of the brewery whose beer I'm drinking silk screened on the side. Duvel in a Bell's tulip? Might as well have coors light straight from the bottle at that point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.