Do you care what your beer gets served in?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by sixa66, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

I had this experience last year in Austin. Their beer on special was BCBS for $3 in a shaker pint. hot damn - they had no idea what they had.

But to answer the OP. Glassware makes a HUGE difference. I would pay more to get less ounces of a DIPA in a tulip, than to have more ounces in a shaker pint. Shaker pints are the absolute worst.

2. fuhkyou

fuhkyou Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2013 Idaho

Shaker glasses suck. Unfortunate for all of us they are the standard craft beer glass used when serving tap beer.

3. marquis

marquis Crusader (794) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

And properly filled. Both are mandatory here thankfully.Serving short measure can end you up in court.
    Many pubs insist on using a clean glass for a refill. No big deal, the used one goes straight into the glass washer.

4. Chinaskifan1

Chinaskifan1 Aspirant (246) Nov 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

I like a chilled glass, but not frosted. I use a Troegs Dreamweaver tulip-type glass for almost anything. And I can't stand mason jars or mason jar mugs. Ugh. Oh, and a red solo cup is one of my favorite, even for a world class beer!

5. John_Beeryman

John_Beeryman Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2014 Virginia

If a place serves me beer in the wrong glassware, I am unlikely to go back. Looking at you, Tortilla West. Hefeweizen in a pint glass. Ye gods!

DiUr likes this.
  6. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,632) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I don't care for the frosted glass, but otherwise I don't care. I have plenty of nice/fancy/"appropriate" glassware and I don't find that it makes all that big of a difference with most beers. I think a lot of the glassware stuff comes from the rebellion against beer being the swill of the masses.

7. HelpMeBloody

HelpMeBloody Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2013 Rhode Island

The problem with proper glassware is having to explain to average Joes why they got a different glass than their buddy, or why they got a "girl glass." Assholes.

8. WelshBrewer

WelshBrewer Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2013 Oregon

The quick answer to do I mind? is yes. If they don't have a snifter if ask for it in a wine glass.

dennis3951 likes this.
  9. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (554) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Trader

it bothers me but not enough to complain.

the only time i did complain was when - while drunk with friends - i bought a bottle of FW Anniversary ale at the bar we were at, even though it was overpriced, and the bartender served it in 4 shaker glasses. i asked her to put them in snifters. it just seemed wrong, and dumb, to present this nice bottle with 4 huge glasses only poured about an 8th full

10. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Crusader (728) Dec 20, 2011 Arizona
    Trader

11. Sponan

Sponan Initiate (192) Jan 20, 2008 Tennessee

If you are going to include varietals glasses for wine (instead of the traditional red, white, and flute), you will need to also include such glasses as stange, goblet, stein/mug, etc. for beer in addition to those you mentioned. In addition, beer has the different serving sizes issue. As ABV increases, pour sizes decrease. So you would need multiple sizes of at least some of the glasses.

12. edwado

edwado Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2013 New Jersey

I have already opened a discussion on this a while back and love my pilsner glass for everything-yes

13. LuskusDelph

LuskusDelph Aspirant (255) May 1, 2008 New Jersey

The only things I care about are:
    --The glass shouldn't be frozen.
    --The glass shouldn't leak.
    Other than that, the type of glass is unimportant. Branded and 'specialty' glasses seem really to be more about hype.
    But everyone has their preferences, and all are valid of course.

I'll occasionally use a brandy snifter for the stronger or well aged specialty beers that are best when savored and not downed in a few gulps.
    In most cases a classic nonic, a plain old tumbler, or even the dreaded shaker glass are all fine by me.

14. OldCrustacean79

OldCrustacean79 Aspirant (248) Jan 20, 2012 Connecticut

While I cant control what glassware is served while out and about I will ask for a non frosted glass. More and more places are using tulips and snifters these days, but a pint glass is ok with me for the most part!!

At home is a different story, I tend to use a tulip, snifter or teku and never use a pint glass unless company is over. I can live with a broken pint glass but would be sad to lose a special glass!!!

15. David_CT

David_CT Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2014 Connecticut

Higher ABV beers are generally served in 10 or 12 oz pours and lower ABVs in pints. I would be upset if I was shorted 4-6 ounces of beer, as you were on your American Stout. Probably the proper glass for am imperial stout, sounds like you had an uneducated bartender. When at a bar I appreciate the correct glass. More and more places have them now a days, I think because of the smaller pour sizes needed in order to make money on a keg. In short, at a bar I appreciate the correct glass but know they may not have it. I would expect to get the ounces I pay for regardless of what glassware a bartender has available at the moment. ( * and just a side note. I do have a tulip glass that holds a pint. Therefore maybe your ounces were correct, in which case I would of rather had your glass.. Sometimes ounces between different glassware can be deceiving).

16. Beerrito

Beerrito Initiate (89) Jan 4, 2015 California
    Trader

I just don't like mugs, frosted or non frosted. Unfortunately, that seems to be what the average person considers proper glassware for ALL beer. I'm okay with shaker pints though!

17. Sneers

Sneers Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2009 Pennsylvania

As long as the volume seems fair for the price/alcohol content, I'm not a big stickler about glassware at bars. I can geek out over that stuff at home, and I wouldn't necessarily hold every place with a liquor license to the same standard. It's nice when they do, but I've never felt like I was unable to appreciate a beer or effectively wasted my money because it was served in an unideal glass.

Of course, sometimes the bar's ignorance errs in my favor (was served 16oz. of Troeg's Mad Elf for a normal price last weekend), in which case the wrong glassware is quite welcome.

18. Hesscabob

Hesscabob Aspirant (225) Mar 16, 2014 Illinois

I do care what type of glass my beer is poured into. A brewer spends a lot of time planning everything from the ingredients to the execution to the final product and if aromas and other labor intensive components of beer get trapped / incorrectly displayed in the wrong glass it ruins the experience. I also think some high quality beers are more fancy than Napa wines and if they come in fancy stemware, my Batch 004 Temptation or '13 Proprietors damn well better as well.

19. Sound_Explorer

Sound_Explorer Poo-Bah (1,795) Dec 29, 2013 Washington
    Society

I agree with most here, if the setting is in a Joe Schmo bar, long as it is clean I'm good. If it is a beer business (beer bar/brewery/educated bartender) then proper is expected, unless the shelves collapsed and destroyed them all (and thankfully no beer was lost).

20. ChangSing

ChangSing Initiate (152) May 5, 2013 Illinois

Hardcore craft beer bars know what they're doing. But most non-craft beer bars just have the 16 ounce pint and 22 ounce pint glasses. I really don't care myself when I'm out at at non craft place. In fact it often works to my favor..recent example my local joint was serving founders breakfast stout in 16 ounce pints for $4.75. Would anyone actually be upset because you're not getting 13 ounces in a snifter for $6.50 instead?

Stout_Sabre and lambpasty like this.
  21. lambpasty

lambpasty Devotee (417) May 3, 2013 New Hampshire

I like to see proper glassware, but it isn't a huge issue for me. I try to set my expectations based on the establishment; if I'm at a brewpub, I expect glassware relevant to the beer. If I'm at the 99, I expect a pint glass.

The one thing that will always get me to send a beer back is a frosted/chilled glass, but because of that I always make a point to request a room temp glass. I tend to find that only happens with pints, and generally only at places not specializing in beer. Any decent tap house will know better.

22. mikediesel124

mikediesel124 Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2012 Michigan

I prefer proper glassware, mostly in my own home. But, if I go to a place that doesn't know much, I don't expect much.

The only time I didn't mind that much was Tigers opening day a few years ago. The Buffalo Wild Wings downtown was serving very large pours of Black Note and BB9K in huge plastic glasses.

I left a happy customer.

23. DaveBlack

DaveBlack Zealot (566) Dec 19, 2009 Virginia

As long as they don't pull a glass out of the freezer to serve it, I am not going to make a fuss. Except, perhaps, if it was a place that prided itself on its beer selection and hyped how dedicated they were to beer. In that case, I would be annoyed that they can' even get the glassware correct.

In a typical bar, though, chances are if they have good beer at all I'm happy, they could serve it to me in a sippy cup.

Roxie_B likes this.
  24. NJBeer265

NJBeer265 Zealot (564) May 21, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

It depends on the bar. If I am going to a a regular/dive-bar then I don't mind everything being served in a pint glass. If I am going to a craft beer bar then yes, it should be served in proper glassware.

25. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Champion (872) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Society Trader

I enjoy when I attend an establishment that has some crass when it comes to proper glassware. I just had the chance to go to Brick Store Pub in Decatur, GA and if I ordered a local beer it was in that breweries glass. If I pulled a Lost Abbey beer from the cellar they brought us two Lost Abbey tekus. That's above and beyond for me not complaining though!

Back to reality in my small town and the one of only two bars in it that have any good beer everything comes in a pint glass. Not to mention of its 'late' it's in plastic cup. I'm not going to turn something down. Not a classy establishment but one of the bartenders is a beer guy so he always has something.

26. PuckIt

PuckIt Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2014 Pennsylvania

I'm pretty much happy as long as I get a glass at all.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  27. Roxie_B

Roxie_B Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2014 Alabama

Pint glasses are pretty flexible. Perfect for few things but acceptable for most. I am an infrequent and reluctant bar patron. I also tend to opt to be designated driver and wind up trying to read a book by strobe light while my married with kids gal pals all yell "Woo" a bunch. Very sad. So the kind of bar I wind up at will be known for syrupy mixed drinks, think Guinness is exotic, look at me funny if I ask for a glass at all and then get offended when I politely ask for a not frosted clean glass please.
    Last time I was dragged out for a "girl's night out" I had to explain to a bartender how to make a tequila sunrise.
    Count your blessings and remember when a red solo cup or a mason jar was the last word in elegance I say.

28. Tridement

Tridement Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2014 Wisconsin

I like the right glass for the job. That being said, if someone else gets a snifter of BCS and I get a pint, probably not going to complain.

Also, please conserve energy and space and eliminate all beer glass chillers....thank you.

29. HoptimusPrimeIPA

HoptimusPrimeIPA Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 Florida

If the place has the proper glassware., then yes I care. Usually if it comes out in the wrong glass I won't say anything initially but will request the proper glass on the second order. If they don't have the proper glass for the style then I don't worry about it.

30. king75

king75 Devotee (428) Jul 27, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

If it is a beer I have never had before or is something special such as parabola, KBS, Backwoods, etc., I want it in the proper glassware. If it is something that I have had before I could care less. If it is an IPA from any brewery I could care less about the glass. I too hate the practice of the frozen glass, who started this anyways?!

The biggest beer snob moment I encountered in my life was when I was at a lesser known craft beer bar and they were all out of clean glasses and were serving beer out of plastic cups. The wait staff made sure to let people know this well before ordering their beer. One guy at the table behind gave the waitress all sorts of shit about them not having clean tumbler pint glasses and that it was bullshit that he had to pay the same price for the beer and drink it out of a plastic cup. Whoever you were I nominate you for beer snob of the year.

31. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,566) Sep 24, 2007 Saint Martin
    Trader

Yes. A bar puts a beer into a Mason jar and attempts to serve it to me, there will be issues ensuing. We're buying $5-10 beers, let's not pretend we're poorfolk.

Other than that, whatevs.

sixa66 likes this.
  32. Beer-Revelry

Beer-Revelry Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2015 Texas

I am fine with any type of glassware...except two...I absolutely hate gigantic mugs with big ass handles, and I REALLY hate if they're FROSTED. If its a big mug, I'll drink my beer and won't order another. If it's frosted, I will send it back without hesitation. Nothing pisses me off more than when I'm handed a mug so cold the beer inside of it is LITERALLY becoming a slushy.

33. misternebbie

misternebbie Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

Chilled /frosted glass,need not apply

34. JOrtt

JOrtt Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2012 North Carolina

Its all hype. I believe the normal everyday individual can't tell the difference between a sniffer, tulip or pint. We like to think we do, but we don't. I've served Heady in a coffee thermos and it tastes and smells the same as it was in the can. "Correct glassware" is a way to suck more money out of us. I love it when people say they can taste the difference of a Black Tuesday based off what glass its served in. That's BS. As long as the glass is clean...no complaints here. I'm still getting the same experience.

35. ChicagoGuy

ChicagoGuy Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2014 Illinois

You forgot to mention that they should be chipped along the rim. Spiderwebs of hairline fractures from violent stacking are preferred, but not required.

36. thehooksman

thehooksman Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2011 North Carolina

I don't expect to get the right glass at most restaurants or bars. I won't make a fuss. At home I have an assortment of glass types and try to be true to the style suggestions. My nose and palate aren't as awesome as I wish they were and I probably couldn't really tell the difference. But I trust the pros to know what glass their beer tastes best in and it feels good to be able to enjoy it as it was intended.

37. BeerForMuscle

BeerForMuscle Poo-Bah (2,442) Nov 26, 2006 New Jersey
    Society

Glad to see the general dislike of super chilled beers in this thread. Never understood why someone would want their beer freezing their face off.

38. collegemate

collegemate Initiate (25) Jun 28, 2008 Ohio

it's fine as long as there's no holes or cracks. if it pours in my mouth its good

39. Mizzy3030

Mizzy3030 Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2015 Utah

I may be new here, but I have had my share of glassware experiences. The way I see it, if it comes chilled in a glass bottle, shouldn't it be acceptable to enjoy it in said bottle? Obviously if I am trying something new or one I have already favored, and the situation lends itself to the availability, I would prefer the proper glass and temperature. However, if I'm going to my local tavern to hang loose and socialize, and my choices are things like Bud, Coors, or Miller, gimme the coldest, frostiest, mug you got buddy!

40. Phocion

Phocion Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2005 Minnesota

Shaker pints aren't appropriate or flattering for any style of beer. I have a few at home but never use them for beer anymore, as that was never their intended use in the first place. I understand their appeal for bars and restaurants though, since they're cheap, easy to clean, easy to stack, and fairly durable.

But the far more prevalent problem is dirty glasses. If you see these bubbles, your glass isn't clean:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.