Do you "drink local"?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JackHorzempa, Apr 6, 2022.

?

Do you "drink local"?

1. Solely buy local beer

3 vote(s)
    0.9%
  2. Mostly buy local beer

166 vote(s)
    51.9%
  3. Sometimes buy local beer

104 vote(s)
    32.5%
  4. Really don’t care about the brewery’s location

47 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,819) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Even beyond that, very few places in the US even attempt those styles anymore. Even New Belgium axed everything but Tripel. In CO there are a few places still making them, but they're (usually) priced higher than just buying the real deal imports. It's basically just Belgian examples and Unibroue as a result.

2. billandsuz

billandsuz Zealot (512) Sep 1, 2004 New York

I do drink local, but not because I have some misplaced notion that Local is by definition Better.
    It can be. Sometimes it is not. Sometimes the local brewery is owned by a D-Bag, and I don't go to that brewery even if it is local.

Remember too, the local brewery does not give anyone a local discount just for being a local.
    It goes both ways, and it's my money to decide what to do with.

Cheers

ChicagoJ, JSullivan, Klister and 2 others like this.
  3. OffTrail

OffTrail Initiate (98) Aug 12, 2012 Washington

I'm more or less forced to drink local because distribution from other regions is extremely limited where I now live in the Pacific Northwest. I sometimes regret the limited choices and miss some New England breweries. However, brewing standards are high here, so I really can't complain.

4. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (2,062) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

I'm almost all local if we are talking about personal retail purchases. I rarely buy anything retail other than at a brewery in my immediate area.

In the past year or so I bought one BCBS variant, a Dark Lord Variant release package and a couple bottles at Modern Times Oakland the day before they closed (everything was 50% off) and I was in town for SF Beer week. Nothing else I can think of from a beer store.

Other than that it has all been local directly from breweries. Other Half and Wild East are the only two I can think of that I have purchased beer to bring home.

I do get a lot of non-local sent to me from various friends and relatives. This makes up a large volume of what is in my fridge/at home at all times.

In the past I would buy a moderate amount of stuff to bring home while traveling for work or pleasure, but now I almost exclusively just drink the beers I want at a bar or brewery while traveling and don't buy any to bring home. In some cases I meet beer friends while traveling and bring home beers that they give me.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  5. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (8,420) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Typically these days yes, cause the beers are decent and there's a variety of them.

Wasn't always like that, but I have now three breweries within walking distance of home (and by that I mean a simple 30 minute walk to downtown get off your butts people!). The closest is probably a 15 minute walk.

It's not my rule, more that it actually works out to do so. It wasn't always this way, but that doesn't mean I grab something that isn't local either from time to time.

6. startingatBeer-30

startingatBeer-30 Initiate (21) Apr 2, 2022 California

Good point about price being as high as the 'real-deal' imports, which is as you also point out is largely null since most breweries don't bother with much of these styles anyway.

A lot of outstanding beers come to California and eastward from Oregon and Washington, particularly hop-forward brews seeing as the growing region (but plenty others too, from chillies parts). So, if "local" is extended to your whole State (of selection that to which you have convenient access), then not even withstanding your undoubtedly fine brewery selection within say ten miles I would imagine that you got plenty of options. And surely shipments don't just leave but come to the boonies, so if you have the hankering and can afford it why not buy beyond 'local'---not that where you're located and your individual taste preferences need to.

7. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,561) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Is it considered “buying local” if you buy at a local grocery store from a local brewery but that brewery also distributes beer to a region or nationally? Or are we talking on premise purchasing only (ie fresh and from the source).

ChicagoJ and startingatBeer-30 like this.
  8. startingatBeer-30

Where I reside in suburbia the nearest open-market breweries are slightly farther from me; more like 20mins on bicycle (20 on foot to the absolute nearest tap room operated by the brewing company, but their selection and location is mediocre, whereas two of the other three on-site separately-owned breweries are excellent, which is well-worth the healthful enjoyable commute).

Likewise not my rule---it just happens to often make the most sense for me. I too by no means restrict myself to local brews.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  9. startingatBeer-30

Good question. I would say in most cases No. Unless the source is within your county or adjacent and is a single outfit that distributes primarily sub-nationally (ie regionally or nearer).

10. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Zealot (537) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

Probably 50% local, meaning in state
    Probably 85% local, meaning regional, neighboring states, etc.

But I also have some New Belgium or Lagunitas or Sierra Nevada or something in there occasionally.

11. LCBrews803

LCBrews803 Initiate (5) Feb 23, 2022
    Trader

I drink local mostly, especially now that we have a brewery in Nashville that is doing some really solid lagers, pub ales and IPAs. There for a while everybody was doing sours and over hopped IPAs so I tended to buy German lagers and brands I knew I loved like Bells and Good People IPA. Glad to see west coast IPAs and lagers making a comeback in my area.

12. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,820) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

That is not the case in my area (Southeastern PA). In the recent Tripels tasting thread I discussed two locally brewed Tripels (Weyerbacher, Victory) and these beers are very good and inexpensive compared to the Belgian brewed beers. I can get a six pack of Victory Golden Monkey for about 13 bucks.

The 'best' option IMO is to brew your own Trappist/Abbey style beers. I have a batch of Dubbel in my primary now and in a few weeks I will be re-brewing a batch of Orval-clone.

Cheers!

ChicagoJ, AlfromPA and Ozzylizard like this.
  13. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,356) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

This pretty much encapsulates my viewpoint as well. I would also add that freshness plays a role in my decision making process. I still find it amazing to be able to go my local Fred Meyer grocery store and find IPA's that were canned less than a week ago. Invariably, these are locally brewed beers. Also, while it's certainly true that I'm not getting any sort of "local's" discount, on average prices from local breweries are generally a bit cheaper than what I would expect to pay for "comparable" products from other parts of the country. So that's a factor as well.

Even so, I like trying different/new to me beers, and am very glad that we have a pretty strong distribution system here in PDX. Sometimes it's fun to try something "new" from New York, Maine, Maryland (of all things we got a small Burley Oak drop a couple months ago), Michigan, etc.

14. startingatBeer-30

Honestly--- How does your 'Orval-clone' homebrew taste compared to the Orval that it is immitating? at I'm presuming much lower monetary expense ?

ChicagoJ likes this.
  15. MikeWard

MikeWard Poo-Bah (3,243) Sep 14, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Far from local at the moment. My recent quest for harder to find (or ignored) styles has led to many imports being on my most recent list. About to enter the wonderful world of Lambics and Gueuzes, so Belgium here we come.

16. JackHorzempa

Society

Funny you should mention that since this past weekend I was eyeing up some Orval with the notion I should conduct a side-by-side tasting. When I do this, and post on it, I will tag you. It has been a few years since I drank a bottle of Orval but from memory these homebrewed beers taste very close. But Orval (and my clone) will 'evolve' with time in the bottle so this is a factor for consideration.

On a somewhat related note just a couple of days ago I purchased a four-pack/500 ml cans of Saison Dupont to conduct a side-by-side tasting with bottles of Saison Dupont.
    Waaaay lower in price. And since Orval is dry hopped (as is my clone) I appreciate being able to drink my homebrewed clone in fresh conditions to appreciate this aspect. I have never seen a fresh bottle of Orval on my retailers' shelves (but aged Orval is tasty too!).

Cheers!

ChicagoJ, rocdoc1, JSullivan and 2 others like this.
  17. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Poo-Bah (1,875) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

I guess that’s another point of distinction @JackHorzempa. My BA buddy and fellow NJian have different definitions of local. I consider anywhere in NJ, but also places in NY like Other Half (actually is less than hour away) and Rushing Duck and in PA like Victory to be “local.”

I do mainly buy local but also change up with occasional buys from Founders, Zero Gravity , DFH and other places.

#57 DrStiffington, Apr 7, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  18. JackHorzempa

Society

Yeah, I figured this sort of thing could be an 'issue' and I purposefully stated in the OP (with emphasis in bold this time around):

"I wonder how big of a priority it is to BAs to purchase beer from what they consider to be local breweries."

I have zero interest in defining for others what "local" means and therefore would prefer for each BA to determine this for themselves.

I case you are wondering I personally consider "local" to be SEPA (Philadelphia and surrounding counties: Delaware, Chester, Montgomery, and Bucks).

Cheers!

19. joerooster2

joerooster2 Initiate (46) Aug 18, 2020 District of Columbia

Not much reason to buy from local breweries in my area. Beer is more expensive and most of them focus on styles I don't care for.

I'll occasionally get local beer from the store but very rarely buy directly from breweries.

20. fansr0731

fansr0731 Initiate (21) Mar 30, 2022 Texas

What I usually do is visit a local brewery I've never been to and try some of their beers. If any of them is good I'll get a six pack back. That's how I support local. Won't pick up random local beers in a bottle shop. Too much risk.

21. JackHorzempa

Society

And insist upon a clean glass, right? :wink:

Cheers!

22. ATL6245

ATL6245 Meyvn (1,143) Aug 16, 2018 Georgia
    Society

Great question. Geography will make big difference I imagine. I definitely try to make it a point to buy beers from Georgia breweries. That being said there some some favorite imports and a handful of "non-local" that I like to pick up from time to time. Atlanta is a very interesting market because it was only 2017 that laws were passed in GA that allowed breweries to sell beer out of their taproom directly to customers (you used to buy a brewery tour "ticket" to get some limited beers). That was a game changer. We went from having few local brews available to tons within a few years. I started buying mostly "local" beers at that point. What a joy!

23. JackHorzempa

Society

A brewery, which started in Atlanta, that I am hoping to someday visit is New Realm. The first beer I would order is Euphonia Pilsner and then move on from there.

In the Modern Times thread there is an 'evolved' subtopic of breweries with multiple locations and in the case of New Realm they (currently) have four locations: Atlanta, Charlestown, Savannah and Virginia Beach. In all likelihood I would make it to either the Charlestown or Savannah location before Atlanta but who knows what the future holds other than "joy". :beers:

Cheers!

24. ATL6245

ATL6245 Meyvn (1,143) Aug 16, 2018 Georgia
    Society

New Realm is excellent. The brewery itself is pretty cool. I'm not crazy about the location but that's par for the course Inside The Perimeter of Atlanta. Mitch Steele of Stone Brewing fame started it. If you like IPA's Hazy Like A Fox and Hoptropolis are excellent. Personally, I like Euphonia a lot but my favorite there is the Dunkel. It's the best one made in Georgia. I hope you get a chance to come down and explore their offerings. Take back some of their barrel aged beers. They usually have some unique ones.

25. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (539) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

Not exclusively local, but living in Ohio if I were forced to only drink from the Buckeye state it would be fine for the most part. There are so many solid choices, and with prices on the rise, and in some cases the out of state breweries adding another dollar or two that's going to make a difference.
    But there will always be staples from beyond these borders that will be purchased regardless.
    That being said with so many choices in the last 5-10yrs the selection of out of state brewers has diminished to just a couple staples from the bigger craft brewers.
    I wonder if this is the case nationwide. Case in point I only see the flagships from Sierra Nevada and many others, gone are the days of seeing half a dozen offerings from these brewers.
    Oskar Blues for instance, even Dale's Pale isn't a guarantee as it was several years ago.

ChicagoJ and JackHorzempa like this.
  26. JackHorzempa

Society

You are post #65 so we are still quite early in the poll but at this point in time the majority of BAs have 'voted' they mostly drink local. If this is representative of the craft beer market at large this may be the reason the larger, distributing breweries are 'consolidating' on the number of brands they are sending to the various states; too much competition from local breweries in each specific market.

I can anecdotally report that I used to be a frequent purchaser of Sierra Nevada beer but with their decision to mostly be an IPA brewery along with the situation that most of their product is not fresh at my local beer retailers the only brand I have been purchasing lately is Celebration Ale (since it is a seasonal and thereby I can find it fresh).

Cheers!

27. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (3,657) Aug 12, 2007 California
    Society Trader

I drink the beers I like. If they happen to be local, so be it. I don't begrudge anyone for their beer choices. You do you, and I'll do me. Peace...

ChicagoJ, burp2021, JSullivan and 3 others like this.
  28. Blueribbon666

Same, Celebration Ale is the only holiday beer I purchase every year. Anchor Steam is 2nd if I can find it. I want a hearty winter beer keep the spice to the baked goods. Love Great Lakes but that Christmas Ale is an abomination and it has fans that don't even bother with anything else from GL :rolling_eyes:

29. JackHorzempa

Society

I pretty much get you here since generally speaking I am not a fan of spiced beers but I did enjoy drinking the 2021 version of Anchor Special Ale:

[​IMG]

https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...ecember-17-19-2021.663515/page-4#post-7412567

Perhaps a situation in this case of the right spice mix at the right amounts? Or maybe I was just in the Christmas Spirit!

Cheers!

30. Toonces

Toonces Initiate (148) Oct 25, 2005 New Jersey

I find myself mostly buying local, and directly from the brewery if at all possible. I love our local breweries, and the beer culture that has grown and thrived over the past decade. I want that to continue, and I enjoy the good relationships I've formed in the industry by doing that.

That being said, if it's hockey night and I'm buying beer for 12+ guys, I'm often grabbing All Day IPA or something I can easily transport and doesn't break the bank. I'll grab some local stuff too but often a beer is a beer to them, so I save the good stuff for my beer nerd friends!

ChicagoJ, oneeye and JackHorzempa like this.
  31. JackHorzempa

Society

Hmm, shouldn't that be Labatt Blue!?! :confused:

[​IMG]

32. Blueribbon666

Nice. Anchor Steam is one of the few, spice is nice if it's done right.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  33. JackHorzempa

Society

I almost purchased some Anchor Steam (in a 12 can mixpack) the other day but after picking it up and seeing the date on the cardboard box I put it back on the shelf. Maybe I will have better luck next time?

Cheers!

ChicagoJ likes this.
  34. MadMadMike

MadMadMike Defender (652) Dec 11, 2020 Florida
    Society Trader

2 sided coin here.
    Yes - I try to buy local. My ‘go-to’ is Cigar City Jai Alai.,. I live 120 miles from Tampa.
    Yes - I support local breweries. Any time guests come to town, I bring them to one of the fantastic local places (Fort Myers Brewing, Palm City Brewing, Point Ybel Brewing) to sip fresh from the tit.

So, Yes! DRINK LOCAL!!

35. Toonces

Toonces Initiate (148) Oct 25, 2005 New Jersey

It should be, but most of the boys like the fancy craft beer stuff these days! :grin:

Another advantage of buying local, you know it's fresh! It's disappointing how often I find something from out of state that I'd like to try, but it's been sitting there for 6 months.. It's so nice cracking open a beer that was canned yesterday, or a week ago, and experiencing that freshness!

ChicagoJ and JackHorzempa like this.
  36. fansr0731

fansr0731 Initiate (21) Mar 30, 2022 Texas

lol.

I've been to 100+ local brewery in my state and I could not recall even a single time that I was served a dirty glass. Maybe brewery guys care about their beers more, not bar guys.

37. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,356) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I think the problem you described in your other thread is actually pretty uncommon (though I think it does happen). In my limited experience, it's typically emblematic of a more serious problem (either the owner or the staff aren't as concerned as they should be with customers having a positive dining/drinking experience). The last time I had a problem similar to yours, I think the cleaning/rinsing cycle hadn't completely finished before the bartender pulled the glass rack. I let her smell my beer and she quickly apologized and poured me a new glass. That was probably 15 years ago at least.

But yes, this was at a taphouse and not a brewery.

38. Argail

Argail Zealot (506) Dec 19, 2019 Louisiana

stouts in Louisiana - so-so need improvement...

ChicagoJ likes this.
  39. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,561) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

. Crowler to-go from tap at brewer? Yes always fresh. Not always the case with canned beers either sold at some breweries and certainly a risk on freshness of canned local beers sold in retail stores depending on where you live.

jesskidden and Toonces like this.
  40. JackHorzempa

Society

It is not a stout but I am a big fan of Great Raft Reasonably Corrupt Black Lager.

Cheers!

ChicagoJ and Argail like this.