Do you enjoy going to craft beer bars with 100+ taps?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JackHorzempa, Aug 8, 2022.

1. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Ehhh not so much.

I’m a huge fan of the Tap and Handle in Fort Collins; they boast a measly 74 taps :wink:

https://www.tapandhandle.com/beer-menu

The selection there is always great, fresh, and varied… they often have what many would consider to be whales available either on tap or in bottles. Their staff takes great care in cleaning lines regularly and using proper glassware for whatever you choose.

I’m pretty sure they could handle another 26 taps, but space is limited so I doubt they’ll ever have to face that challenge!

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Well, FWIW that is still a Megatap craft beer bar for me.

Cheers!

ChicagoJ, ManBearPat and BigIronH like this.
  3. BigIronH

BigIronH Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

When you say this, do you mean a customer never complained? Or that it never came up amongst the staff/management? Cheers.

ChicagoJ and JackHorzempa like this.
  4. budsNpils

budsNpils Aug 6, 2021 Texas
    Society Trader

We have What's on tap here in the DFW area. Believe it's like 50 taps or something like that.

I don't drink tap much but when I do it's at a brewery tap room that has 10-15 taps. I'd rather have fewer taps available and just make em good beers.

5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Yeah, I had a Courage RIS on draught there once. Seeing it, I almost pooped my pants.

Rug, cu29 and ManBearPat like this.
  6. bubseymour

bubseymour Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I think it was either this place in Raleigh or the Flying Saucer that I visited on a business trip in 2009. Right before I discovered Beer Advocate. Having a 4-5 page menu of beers organized by style/country I though was really awesome and never seen anything like it before. This really opened my eyes up to the world of craft beer. Today, 12 years into craft beer, I’m usually good with 20-40 taps/variety (local places) and hope there are a few high quality options or interesting beers I’ve not had before. If I’m out of the area I’m good with less taps.

arizcards and ChicagoJ like this.
  7. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Locally, we have a Yard House in VA Beach. 100ish taps. I can say there's never really anything "exciting" or new there, just tried-and-true type stuff.

In Lexington, VA, there's Salerno's Pizza, which has 35-40 taps of "pour by ounce"/card activated wall. Here, you are apt to find a bit more variety than the above.

8. spicoli00

spicoli00 Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

There is one here called pint room, actually have a handful of locations across the US: https://www.pintroom.com/carmel-indiana/

They maintain their taplist pretty well on untappd, showing 106 beers or so. They get so much traffic that beer doesn't sit. However, I have been at the bar during off hours and the staff is testing beers and cleaning lines. If anything is off, they take it out of rotation.

Clearly this is an exception, but you can find some bars that care about this stuff enough to make the effort. Food is great bar food too. Worth a stop if you are in Indianapolis.

Conversely, I will never set foot in a Yard House again.

9. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

2009 - I’m thinking that was likely the Flying Saucer as I don’t think the Raleigh Beer Garden opened until sometime around 2012.

bubseymour and ChicagoJ like this.
  10. dbrauneis

Moderator Society Trader

Salerno’s was a fun accidental find when I visited Lexington earlier this summer - chosen because the pizza menu was interesting and pizza places are generally kid friendly.

ChicagoJ and MistaRyte like this.
  11. bubseymour

bubseymour Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Yeah I think you are correct. And Big Boss was also the first microbrew taproom I ever went to as well while on that business trip. I can’t even remember the purpose of that visit anymore..just beer memories.

dbrauneis and ChicagoJ like this.
  12. Immortale25

Immortale25 May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

No I did not, but I admittedly didn't drink there a lot. And when I did, I would really only drink the "chalkboard" beers which were the only rotating taps, and the only 1/6 bbls. The rest of the cooler would be 1/2 bbls. That's right, a cooler of entirely ~130 1/2 bbls. Once a week they would recruit people looking for extra hours to come in early and help reorganize.

arizcards, ChicagoJ and JackHorzempa like this.
  13. Immortale25

Immortale25 May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

All of the above and I never tasted a stale beer the entire time I worked there.

arizcards, ChicagoJ and BigIronH like this.
  14. StJamesGate

StJamesGate Oct 8, 2007 New York
    Society

In New York there have been any number of sports bars + super-pubs with 100 taps, especially around Midtown.
    It's totally possible to be bored by such a selection, which often looks like this:
    • 10 big corporate lagers
      • e.g. Bud Lime, Stella Artois
    • 10 big corporate ales
      • e.g. Guinness, Negra Modelo, Blue Moon
    • 10 BMC-owned craft
      • e.g. Sweetwater 420, Blue Point Toasted Lager
    • 10 nationally distributed craft that are kinda dull
      • e.g. Yuengling, Fat Tire
    • 10 wide distro German, Czech, Belgian + British, but not the good ones
      • e.g. Bitburger, Pawel Kwak
    • 10 craft beers that have been around for 20 years
      • e.g. DFH 60 Minute, Anchor Porter
    • 10 seasonals
      • especially pumpkin + Oktoberfests
    • 10 wheats + blondes
      • e.g. Paulaner Hefe, Kona Golden Wave
    • 10 fruit beers
      • e.g. Abita Purple Haze, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat
    • 10 local breweries, but not the ones you want
      • in NYC let's say Montauk or River Horse

The IPA Borg assimilation of recent years has actually helped here...
    That tap that used to be devoted to some random red or ESB now has something hoppy with a chance of being good (though still probably not fresh.)

seanchai, CBlack85, arizcards and 9 others like this.
  15. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

When I was in college in Boston I used to like going to the Sunset Grill & Tap in Allston, grab a Stone Smoked Porter and shoot some pool upstairs. I think they had ~100 or so taps, and my unrefined palate at that time never noticed anything being overtly stale. Haven't been anywhere with that many taps before or after.

arizcards, Rug and ChicagoJ like this.
  16. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

If they are not cleaning these taps and lines in house this has got to be a monster client for some vendor in the tap cleaning sector.

ChicagoJ, BigIronH and JackHorzempa like this.
  17. Blueribbon666

Ahhh so true...I'd love to yawn in the face of these distro reps...go work a golf outing sales boy.:sweat_smile:

18. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Presuming they actually clean the lines on a regular (e.g., every two weeks) basis. :wink:

Cheers!

BigIronH likes this.
  19. Blueribbon666

I've been to the World of Beers that was at one time in NE Ohio and several others boasting a lot of taps, too many choices I get but seriously, just like retail, pick something and enjoy.
    Places I avoid are any place I have to wait for a beer or basically make an ass of myself to get the back's attention. Really hate the trendy, wait on line for the privilege of being served or to have the beer of some brewer or establishment, no thanks.
    You all can enjoy the sardine can, I'll go where the action isn't and make some of my own.

20. Blueribbon666

Holy cow, they better, otherwise they will have a lot of beer sitting around. I would assume from a GP stand point as a business I'd have someone doing that in house, specifically doing that task. Not all tats and gauge peeps have to work the line at Chipotle. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

JackHorzempa likes this.
  21. retention_

retention_ Jan 8, 2022 North Carolina

I went there about 7 years ago. Some of their beers were extremely overpriced but they did have a big selection from what I recall. I haven't been back since though. It was fun going with a group. I doubt I'd go solo. There are too many options closer to me to make that trip regularly. I generally prefer to drink at home anyway.

22. nomisugitai

nomisugitai Mar 11, 2006 New Jersey
    Society

The real real problem was ordering something from the menu that was actually in stock.

23. Mindcrime1000

Mindcrime1000 Apr 30, 2016 South Dakota
    Society Trader

24. russpowell

russpowell May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I am sure I have. Quality is usually a concern in my books. Sadly, I have been to a lot of 30 tap places & just not found anything to get excited about. It is a given here that 8 taps are macro crap & another chunk are subpar locals. So, I wouldn't be put off if a 100 tap place opened near by. But I been to enough chain multitaps to know their list isn't very well curated.

ChicagoJ and Bitterbill like this.
  25. billandsuz

billandsuz Sep 1, 2004 New York

Beer Museum.
    God made bottles and cans for a reason.

Nope. Next.

26. Dethark

Dethark Dec 28, 2020 England
    Trader

I've never been to anywhere with more than 40 taps and that was a one off. Must seem to have around 10 to 15 here in the UK, unless I've led a sheltered life.

40 was to much choice still!

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  27. Rug

Rug Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

God this is so fucking accurate lol. I've been to Yard House twice and it can be fun, but ultimately not worth it. Locally, Bayberry Beer Hall in Providence has I believe 20-25 taps of wonderfully curated options, not to mention a huge bottle/can list with some relatively rare stuff. That's definitely more my style

28. pjeagles

pjeagles May 29, 2005 New Mexico
    Trader

@JackHorzempa I have been to the Charlotte Beer Garden, within the same company that owns the Raleigh location. Didn't know about it until planning a trip there earlier this year. The beer fanboy in me looked at the tap list and said, "OH, they have this on tap...and this! and this! and this!!" Basically, all the stuff I wanted to find from the area plus dozens more from around the country I wanted to try. When I got there, I was in awe of the number of taps on multiple floors. Never saw anything like it. The now closed Tapwerks in Oklahoma City would be second, but that was only (!) about 225 taps. But as I should have known, every sample I tried was off due to either a stale keg or unclean lines. Quite a disappointment. And the clientele didn't seem to match the draft selection. I feel like most of the guys there would have been happy with a bottle of Michelob Ultra. Maybe if they packed in the place every night with hardcore beer nerds and scaled down the taps by 300 or so there might be hope for fresh beer there.

Ahhh, Naja's Place. I remember leaving the Stone Sour Fest in 2012 specifically to make my first visit to Naja's. That place was packed. Interesting crowd to say the least. Been back a few times and though they have 100 or so beers, I have never been that impressed by the list, though they did have DDH Pilny when I was there last year.

There's a local place with 100 taps and bartenders who couldn't really describe any of them. Bless their hearts come November though. A full pint pour of Bourbon County like it was Bud Light.

@StJamesGate You nailed it. I made the mistake of going in those Midtown Manhattan places more than once.

29. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

I'm more into seeking out local small breweries. When I was in Vegas this Summer I went for all Tenaya Creek when I could find it. I knew because the brewery was in Vegas proper they would have fresh beer being delivered constantly.

I've kind of graduated from quantity and seeking out crazy whales OMG to local and fresh when I'm on vacation. I remember when I was first out there I was hoping to get my hands on Firestone Walker and being on the lookout for Pliny the Elder (lol) just because those were mythic beers for someone back east in 2016.

I had much more fun in 2022 trying the local Vegas brews even at the tap houses with huge amounts of beers from California.

arizcards and ChicagoJ like this.
  30. pixiesfanyo

pixiesfanyo Oct 25, 2010 California

Never have. Never will.

There is a bar in San Diego that has two taps and they are both Budweiser. Rocks.

alucard6679 and ChicagoJ like this.
  31. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Tenaya Creek is hands down my favorite Vegas Brewery. There are a half dozen more I try to hit each trip. The Vegas scene has really grown strong the past five years.

Hope you found a few beers you enjoyed there! Can’t wait to return tomorrow for Pint Night!

32. JHuck

JHuck Dec 23, 2021 Massachusetts

I’m not big on beers on tap anymore. Only at breweries. I do like how a few places have really upped their canned selection since the lock downs. Just have to keep an eye on the dates.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  33. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Blatz!!!!!!! I gotta find some!

rodbeermunch and ChicagoJ like this.
  34. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

My local dive bar has 12 handles and I'm thrilled he keeps them up......

ChicagoJ and Chaz like this.
  35. shadyside

shadyside Feb 27, 2011 Georgia

I have been to the beer garden in Raleigh. Nice venue, lots of activity, lots of beer. I go to places like this to check out the vibe and have a beer. Same with Kickbacks in Jacksonville (over 200 taps). As mentioned, these types of bars are disappearing with the proliferation of breweries and the covid shutdowns.

arizcards, ChicagoJ and JackHorzempa like this.
  36. arizcards

arizcards Jun 11, 2003 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I definitely enjoy the pull of a lengthy beer menu and did find the pull of The Yardhouse tantalizing years ago, before the local brewery explosion the last 10 years, but would agree with the sentiment that local and smaller is better given my samples of local brewpubs across the country. With that said, over the last five years Da Boss and i will have a meal at a Yardhouse, be it in PHX or Greenville, SC and the only thing i order is Chimay Blue...always found it to be in excellent form!
    Cheers!
    Tom

ChicagoJ, champ103 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  37. jesskidden

jesskidden Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Don't think I've ever been in a bar with +100 taps. I recall being on a business trip in Detroit and hitting one with a lot more taps that I thought reasonable and had a difficult time finding something to order. This concept noted by some above that a huge clientele assures turnover and freshness seems faulty to me. Think of a store with an off-premise license. Does anyone think that every one of those dozens of beers sell at the same rate?:rolling_eyes: Of course not - just looking at some of the date codes proves that. Why would a +100 draught selection be any different. (How much vanilla did Howard Johnson's sell compared to orange pineapple or lemon? Me, I always bought pistachio - the IPA of the ice cream world.)

I stopped into a Wild Buffalo Wings once, 'cause I heard they had a large selection of local NJ beers. 40-50 taps, I guess. I ordered off the menu some local beer and saw the bartender grab a tap handle of another brewery's beer of a totally different style.

"Ummm... I order Brewery A's Pilsner. That tap handle is Brewery Z's Fruitcake Sour."
    "Yeah, we don't have that tap handle but this is the right beer."
    "But what do you do when some orders Brewery Z's Fruitcake Sour?"

Blank stare.
    "Uh, forget it."

Hey, look. Tap handles are sometimes hard to get from the distributor or brewery (they're all being sold on eBay) but stick some masking tape over the "wrong" handle and at least write the correct beer's name with a Sharpie.

arizcards, ChicagoJ and PapaGoose03 like this.
  38. Arassuil

Arassuil Jan 21, 2008 Australia

I've been to a few over the years and have to say they were mostly enjoyable. The first was The Taphouse Grill in Bellevue Washington. Was a place me and my future wife would go when she was in town. Never had a stale beer there. They closed a few years back due to property development, and I think their downtown Seattle location was killed off by the pandemic, closing in 2020.

Another lovely multi-taphouse we enjoyed was the The Underground Tap & Grill in Edmonton Alberta. Wife had a business trip to Edmonton in November 2018 and this was not far from the hotel. All good beers and every one I had was fresh as. A lot of hoppy IPA's to be had! It may not qualify for this thread as it only has 72.

39. TheMattJones88

TheMattJones88 Sep 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'll occasionally reminisce fondly about Sunset Grill in Boston (technically Allston, but who's counting?) I think they had 120 taps. The food was fine until near the end where it turned to crap, and I got to try a lot of interesting beers. I had a great night when the bartender accidentally served me a pint of World Wide Stout.

RIP.

40. dbrauneis

Moderator Society Trader

Sunset Grille was great, always made it a point to get there when I had business trips to the Boston area. Always a well curated selection of beers and never had any that tasted old/stale but it could just be what I chose, who knows?