Do you have a place in your will for your beer?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by ubenumber2, Jun 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubenumber2

ubenumber2 Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2012 Arkansas

With a lot of people having pretty sizable cellars and collections these days worth a pretty penny do any of you have any plans for your beer in case of your untimely demise? I told my wife to just throw it all in the coffin with me and what wouldn't fit just crack it open and pour it in with me

2. cyrushire

cyrushire Initiate (0) May 25, 2012 Florida

Funeral bottle share.

3. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (784) Sep 15, 2010 Alaska
    Society Trader

I haven't put this in writing but I will someday. My cellar must be consumed on the day of my funeral or it will be drain poured, never to be seen again. If I never get married, my last bottle of Westy 12 will be buried with me.

4. ubenumber2

ubenumber2 Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2012 Arkansas

Funeral bottle share is a great idea , for more fun do it before the burial so the pallbearers will be drunk

woodchipper likes this.
  5. mudbug

mudbug Defender (606) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

If you die the same day you finish the last bottle, you WIN!

HighWine, Roxie_B, jRocco2021 and 3 others like this.
  6. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,914) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

I'm just working on getting my cellar down to a level where I don't have to think about this.

7. utfiero

utfiero Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2013 Texas

Interesting thread because a significant collection (especially in a non-community property state) may need to be addressed in estate planning. For most people with a will, unless a beer collection is specifically addressed, the collection would fall under "personal property." Always seek the advice of an attorney licensed in your state to prepare a will.

#7 utfiero, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
    KhakCane and Kyrojack like this.
  8. dutesanch

dutesanch Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2014 California

That's so funny, I actually have verbal instructions to my wife for my collection of mini liquor bottles which at on time was over 200 bottles. I guess my beer would go to the same people.

9. GRG1313

GRG1313 Poo-Bah (3,853) Jan 15, 2009 California
    Society Trader

You and I are thinking alike. Most estate planning lawyers, to my knowledge (and I'm not an estate planning lawyer) discourage specific personal property bequests. Frequently specific personal property bequests open up all kinds of problems. Generally, everything these days go to a trust (avoid taxes) anyway. However, it is also my understanding that there is frequently a letter to a loved one that "instructs" wishes for any personal property bequests and the deceased just hopes his/her wishes are followed. Of course, a lot of this depends upon one's net worth in any event. As utfiero said, you should discuss this with an estate planning lawyer if you're concerned.

I will tell you that when my father died a few years ago I put a bottle of his favorite Scotch in the casket with him. Once he was placed in the grave I poured a half of bottle of the same stuff over it and while he was being buried we past around the rest of the bottle! You know what? I really liked doing that and I'd do it again. He would also have liked it.

Just a thought but you could also do that with beer. I'm older than most on this site and I also have a large cellar. Personally, I hope that I will have consumed or given away most of the cellar before "that day!"

tbadiuk, Cubatobaco, ASak10 and 3 others like this.
  10. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

I'm not worried about whats in my pantry or fridge and freezers, so I certainly could give to thoughts to whatever happens to a perishable item after I die.

Beer doesn't have any value outside of the ISO/FT section.

11. wisrarebeer

wisrarebeer Poo-Bah (1,713) Jul 31, 2008 Wisconsin
    Society

This is what my WIFE has told me regarding my cellar -- which goes back to early 80s Thomas Hardy's, Courage RIS and Bigfoots.

She'll alert three great beer buddies that I have gone to the great hop yard in the sky (Wayne, Doug and Mark) and the first person to show up gets the lot. All three are nearly 850 miles from me so it will be interesting to see who gets here first.

My guess is that all three will just have an incredible party (among themselves only, of course) in my honor.

12. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

I'm being embalmed with my best bottles contents.

Cubatobaco likes this.
  13. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Crusader (738) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

You know, I have often thought about this topic. Not about the beer I own, but because I have a very large cigar collection that people ask me about for when I "check out". I really don't have a clue as to what would be done with my cigars/wine/beer, but I'm sure I will care less... As where I will be will not require "stuff". I've often said to just give to my buddy Steve, but I'm sure he'll dwindle it away. I'd just prefer that my family keep what they want and give the rest to people that will enjoy it. Don't you dare "waste" my beer by pouring it over me! DRINK IT!

14. kdb150

kdb150 Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

Why die with a stocked cellar? Unless you did it wrong and die with a cellar full of beer not worth drinking, you may as well polish it off before your ass hits the great bar stool in the sky. You can't take it with you, and it's a hell of a lot better to share it with friends in life than it would be to share it with them in death.

jrnyc likes this.
  15. bushycook

bushycook Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2011 Virginia

16. RBCORCORAN

RBCORCORAN Initiate (0) May 18, 2009 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

I don't cellar so no problems there. I was thinking since everyone will be drinking at and after my funeral I'd charge to attend.
    show up and morn - 1 shelf beer.
    slap cadaver - 1 barrel aged beer.
    spit on cadaver - 1 whale
    pee on my grave - 1 sour whale.

HighWine and Loganyoung like this.
  17. Fly_Moe

Fly_Moe Initiate (0) May 22, 2012 Florida

My collection means nothing to my family. They don't share the enthusiasm of good beer like I do. I don't have a huge cellar compared to some (maybe 150 bottles). But when I pass, I would like it to be Weekend at Bernie's style, where they take my corpse all over the place, while they drink my beer. And if that doesn't happen, I would hope they would have a huge party in my honor.

18. frognot

frognot Initiate (0) May 20, 2009 Texas

My son and daughter can divide my beer, liquor, firearms and contents of my Man Cave.

19. Resuin

Resuin Meyvn (1,294) Jun 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'm a philanthropist. After I die, my beer cellar will go to needy children.

20. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (4,575) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

Mine would go to my brother, he's one of the only friends I have that appreciates good beer.

21. Phobicsquirrel

Phobicsquirrel Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2013 Oregon

eh, I think it'll go to the way of my vast cigar collection.... not sure. The wife does like beer so maybe she'll drink it. She doesn't like cigars. She may sell them, who knows. I really don't care all that much about it, I'll be dead.

22. CasanovaCummins

CasanovaCummins Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2012 Nevada

Don't have a place in the will, but I do have one in my bladder.

23. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012 Florida

You better be careful. There's probably a half dozen dudes in this thread that will propose to you.

Vitacca likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.