Do you limit yourself at the store when it comes to sought after beer with no bottle limits?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cmiller4642, May 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 (0) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

I try to practice good karma and not just buy out the whole supply because I think it's important for everyone to get a taste of really good stuff. I don't horde beer because that's not my style. I have a 4 or a 6 then move on to the next thing.

I went into my store today and they got Columbus Creeper (a limited release around here, sells out quick) There were six 4 packs remaining on the shelf, and I grabbed one only. I also pointed one out to someone that was looking at IPAs.

neenerzig, kemoarps, micada and 22 others like this.
  2. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 (0) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

I typically get the items I seek out. Once I am covered I will walk away, I never buy to hoard or for any sort of gain. If I know there are special items I most certainly inform others who may not have seen or known etc. Part of the fun is seeing others score a cool item and the smile on their face, that is worth more than the beer sometimes, its all about community in the end.
    Cheers

neenerzig, kemoarps, Junior and 11 others like this.
  3. nc41

nc41 (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

On special releases I’d guess they’re priced accordingly too, so you went to the store and bought 1 out of 6. If I loved the beer I would have bought 2, no bad karma invoked.

4. Sound_Explorer

Sound_Explorer (0) Dec 29, 2013 Washington
    Society

I only buy what I need. Two so I can cellar one and have one now. If the price is right I'll get more but that is pretty rare.

5. Scrapss

Scrapss (0) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania

Definitely. Don't be a hording buyslut, peeps....share the wealth and allow someone else to take a shot.

6. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA (711) Mar 28, 2009 California

Since I usually buy one or two six packs at a time that’s going to be a negative on buying an excessive amount just because it’s limited or highly sought after.

neenerzig and kemoarps like this.
  7. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight (0) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I want to know who is going to come into this thread and be like "yeah, I buy the whole place out, let the shaming commence".

kemoarps, FBarber, ovaltine and 7 others like this.
  8. Scrapss

Scrapss (0) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania

There will be one. Always one...

kemoarps and Junior like this.
  9. russpowell

russpowell (1,829) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I never go too crazy initially, because for all I know it may not be my jam. Plus, I know others are seeking it out

10. scream

scream (0) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

My go to store recently got 2 cases of Waldo's a beer I had asked them about. The mgr. told me it did not sell well last year. I was offered a case. I took 2 6 paks and told her to let me know after a bit if there was still more she wanted to move Have not heard back.

11. mogulskier

mogulskier (0) Feb 3, 2019 California

If you don't restrain yourself when sought after beers come in at your favorite bottle shops, then someone will put them in the back and/or enforce a limit of 1 or even 2.

Sadly, there are still some hoarders who will basically take almost half of the allotment in a single visit. But it is not commonplace.

Luckily, most people are generous and grab only a single 4 or 6 pack and give everyone else a chance to get some.

For bombers or singles, almost everywhere they keep them in the back and you have to ask for a bottle because it would never survive 4 hours if put on the shelves.

kemoarps, LeRose and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  12. cavedave

cavedave (1,206) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Always. It goes around and it comes around.

13. MistaRyte

MistaRyte (745) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

I only want a 4 pack/6 pack/bottle. If there's no limit, I'll text FIL/BIL and see if they want any, then I'll pick some up for them. Sometimes I pick some up for them without texting, they'll get me a bottle of something later.

kemoarps and LeRose like this.
  14. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 (0) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader

I'm hoping there is no hoarders at the Firestone Walker Fest, i really want a bottle of that Los Lenardos or how ever it is spelled. Time will tell. I was tempted to grab a few 4pks of Bamburana when it first hit the shelf here in Knoxville but it seems like every bottle shop/craftbeer store/ and liquor store has a stackout of it so i resisted the temptation. Just put one 4pk in cellar. Now when football season starts up and its still around, its fair game then i'm buy what my budget allows.

15. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin (0) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

I just don't drink it fast enough anymore to hoard anything. I'm considering not upping my beer of the month membership as there are a few months worth of beer I haven't gotten to yet.

kemoarps likes this.
  16. TongoRad

TongoRad (1,191) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

My general rule is the first time only grab a couple, but if they're still there next week all bets are off.

Then again, this isn't the usual "limited beers" we're talking about; just stuff I don't see too often.

kemoarps, micada, Bitterbill and 11 others like this.
  17. BeardedWalrus

BeardedWalrus (0) Jun 5, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

I mean as a college student I'm almost never in a position to buy up all the stock of my favorite beers at once. But even if I did have that kind of cash, I wouldn't do it out of principle. I know the feeling of getting to a shop just after something I'd been seeking sold out all too well.

18. WadeBridgman

WadeBridgman (0) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Do unto others, gents. Drives me nuts not being able to buy even 1 of something due to some hoarding jagoff. This applies to whiskey too, where secondary market prices are 10x the MSRP

19. LeRose

LeRose (1,092) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Since I usually only buy singles or at most a four pack, it's not difficult for me to preserve the good juju and leave bottles for others to enjoy. I have seen a few asshats clean out a beer, but it's rare to see that sort of nonsense. If I try it, love it, and it's still hanging around a couple week's later, I might grab more. Or not. There's always something else.

When I found Curmudgeon's Other Half, I did purchase the one four pack that was on the shelf, and I really liked the beer. I proceeded to do the same thing at several locations when I came across it - that's as close as I get to "chasing" a beer. Now that beer is collecting dust on the shelves after being "sorry, we just sold the last one we had" impossible to find initially. The wheel in the sky keeps on turnin'...

kemoarps, Roguer, GuyFawkes and 3 others like this.
  20. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled (1,845) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I certainly limit myself... I rarely buy "sought after" beers because of the price. If I'm going to spend that kind of money I'd rather be sure that it's something that I'm going to like; and, I hate to say it, but the "sought after" beers I have had in the past have often let me down.

kemoarps, Riff, LarryV and 2 others like this.
  21. matthewp

matthewp (0) Feb 27, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Personally I limit myself mainly because there are so many options out there you can't buy everything. Even when there are limits I usually buy below the limit. Realistically though its up to the store to know what they are selling and know the demand for the beer. Most of the places that don't know what they are selling usually don't have customers that are really looking for that beer anyways so they usually just sit there. Back when KBS was still a big deal I knew a place that you'd still see it sitting on the shelf weeks or months later. If someone hoards it, honestly who cares? There will be something else big out the next day anyway, if I went after sought after beers every time they came out I'd be broke and probably dead from alcohol poisoning.

22. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 (475) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Trader

I am not a hoarder by nature and frankly can’t afford to buy more than a bottle or two at most anyway, so I don’t. However, I don’t really view purchasing items made freely available on the shelf to be a moral issue or a matter of karmic brotherhood among fellow beer drinkers. Certainly chasing trucks all over town and going out of your way to buy up everything you can, bringing mules, etc. is douchey behavior, but in my experience truly limited beers almost always have purchase limits.

If they don’t, I would go on the assumption that the beer, while sought after by some, isn’t actually all that limited and would buy as much as I wanted and could afford. I feel like if your local store puts limited beers on the shelf with no limits, your beef is with them. It’s pretty widely understood these days that that’s not a very good way to handle limited releases.

23. Domingo

Domingo (1,294) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I nearly always follow the "one for now, one for later" rule. The only exception would be for unusual lambics, which are some of the few beers that can age indefinitely. At least for my own palate. I'd have no qualms clearing out a shelf of Cantillon, 3F, Tilquin, etc. I know that at least I'd drink them rather than swapping them back and forth for haze cans and dessert stouts.

24. ypsifly

ypsifly (0) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

LOL, that was me about 15 years ago when I was single and making a shit ton of money. I filled the back of my long bed full size pickup with Breakfast Stout, while going store to store on delivery day, the second year it was released. Took a huge chunk out of the supply for the city of Ann Arbor that year, lol.

Now I'm on the other side of the counter and if I could reach back through time and slap the shit out of "back then me" I totally would.

alucard6679, Scrapss, Junior and 9 others like this.
  25. cavedave

cavedave (1,206) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

First batch of CBS in bottles was not put on shelf here. It was behind the counter with a low purchase limit, one or two bottles per, can't remember for sure. Couldn't make it, and it sold out like instantly. I got saved two bottles by my friend at my local store who works there. I bought one and stuck the other one on the shelf by other Founders products. I got more pleasure from the guy who discovered that beer just sitting there than I would have from drinking it (I'd already had a lot of it on tap whereas many folks had never tasted it).

26. oldbean

oldbean (0) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

I can't remember the last time I ran into a bottle or 4/6 pack that I was even really tempted to buy multiples of. Just too much good beer around to get obsessed with any one thing.

27. Milktoast75

Milktoast75 (0) Oct 27, 2012 Wisconsin

Just what I need. At the most a couple 4 or 6 pacs.
    I have a certain amount of dollars allocated for beer and one never knows what’s around the next isle or cooler.
    Knowing I have just a few on hand makes me appreciate it more.

kemoarps and GreenBayBA like this.
  28. Milktoast75

Milktoast75 (0) Oct 27, 2012 Wisconsin

Great story. Made my day. :stuck_out_tongue:!
    Weren’t we all young and perhaps stupid at one point?

29. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta (0) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

First year GI came to my area I saw BCBCS in four packs just sitting at an area TW. I bought six four packs. I left two. Not sure I'd change anything. That was a great 3-4 month drinking window. The only Other bottle shop had 1-2 singles pp limits and got maybe two cases. So a case to myself was nice at that time.

A year or two back when BA 1050 finally hit my area, of the ten cans, I bought six, leaving four.

I want to say times are different now. I know Those same stores only got 10 parabolas, yet I don't even really feel the need to buy one, let alone three. CBS was a one and done a year back.

When hazies release around my way, I'm not even hitting their brewery limits.

Now if a place only had two four packs left, would I leave one? That's a tough question.

I've been known to post on my UT page about releases I see and give a heads up. Did it with BY years ago. I got my two packs and left, leaving 6-7 cases for everyone else. I returned a week later and a case or so was left. Grabbed another pk.

Any more though, I've been known to just buy within my two week drinking window. There is almost always something else that will release that will catch my eye. Hoarding is down to a bare minimum. My beer fridge is now 80% full of fruits and veggies.

Scrapss and GreenBayBA like this.
  30. Spaten454

Spaten454 (640) Aug 23, 2012 Texas
    Trader

I usually miss the boat on sought after beers at a store because they sell out immediately even with bottle limits.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  31. GetTheYayo

GetTheYayo (0) Aug 26, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

I was at a quaint little bottle shop in Morrison, CO back in 2013 just browsing the beer section to see if anything caught my eye. In between 12 packs of Budweiser and Bud Lite were six 4-packs of BCBCS, which was released about a week earlier and pretty much sold out in every store in Denver within a matter of days. I asked the guy working there, an older gentleman, about it and he said it was some new expensive stuff from Budweiser. I don't think he had any idea what he had! So rather than be a hoarder and take the entire case I snagged two 4-packs and left the rest for the next unsuspecting person who wandered in.

32. Tilley4

Tilley4 (1,090) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Absolutely... if I come across the last 2 sixers of anything... I always always buy one unless I know for sure they can get more. If it's a limited release I buy 1 to drink fresh and 1 to age... I'm a firm believer that the beer gods are always watching....

GreenBayBA likes this.
  33. bbtkd

bbtkd (1,774) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Around here, sought-after beers have limits. If no limits, I'll buy what I need/want, though won't clean them out. One local store manager is fed up with with the frenzy of cult beers, and twice when I showed up he offered to sell me everything he had left just to be done with it. His comment was that he'd rather sell to a regular than a bunch of people he'll never see again until the next cult beer.

micada, scream, Scrapss and 4 others like this.
  34. Roguer

Roguer (1,828) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

It's like you're reading my mind - or my earlier WBAYDN? post. :grinning:

Unless there is a really small amount, then yes, I absolutely limit myself. I don't expect others to, and I don't hold that against them. If a store is willing to sell you their entire case of "Rare Beer X!!! (double dry hopped with Madagascar vanilla beans added)", then you're not morally wrong for buying that entire case.

Me, though? I will always leave some on the shelves for other beer drinkers. I can always swing back days (or weeks!) later, and if it's still there at that point, then it's fair game.

Just a personal choice. Anyone who says, "Hell no! I buy the whole case!" isn't a villain in my book, just someone who approaches life a little differently. :slight_smile:

sulldaddy, dcotom and GreenBayBA like this.
  35. Roguer

Roguer (1,828) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

There might not be many people popping into the thread and buying the only case a store has in stock of a limited beer ... but I promise there are definitely people popping into that store and doing the same thing. Bragging about it might be socially stigmatic, but I have zero doubt that it happens.

kemoarps, alucard6679, Junior and 5 others like this.
  36. mogulskier

Exactly. Used to to be that way with Pliny around here, the only time some people would show up is when the store posted on facebook or instagram that Pliny was in. Store owners will pretty much save the good stuff for there regular customers.

But now, Pliny will survive at least one day and night because there is so much great (fresh) beer being released on a weekly basis, that people won't leave work early and get in line in the morning just for a bottle of Pliny.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  37. mogulskier

Don't know about the former, but the latter is absolutely true.

GreenBayBA and Roguer like this.
  38. cjgiant

cjgiant (1,653) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Agree with the sentiments here and am like others, I will grab 2 (bottles, 4/6 packs depends) by default (for me and the GF). If there is a larger supply of something we like, I may go so far as to double that.

I’ve quoted you, but the question is not specific to anyone. But have thought about this scenario in the past and how I would react...

You see that beer and buy your self-limiting amount. You feel like being nice and inform a random customer about the good beer, and... they buy out the entire shelf.

39. Sheppard

Sheppard (1,053) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

You know, I have in the past and it was a mistake. I think I got the last case of Heady somewhere and I regret not leaving some for others. We learn from our impulses and experiences and hopefully become better people.

40. Beerbadger55

Beerbadger55 (0) Aug 29, 2017 Wisconsin

I don’t do it, even feel guilty if I end up taking the last 6 pack on occasion. Not for long though!

kemoarps likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.